Helmet for toddler

junglechef

Looking for a good helmet for my 1 1/2 yr old for when we take the motorcy w/sidecar to local village market etc. My 8 & 10 yr old use good bicycle helmets while riding either their bicycles and on the motorbike. Has anyone found something suitable here?

Yes but...

We got a high-quality (for Thailand) Index brand, full face helmet with mouth-guard at the helmet shop on the right side of Chang Moi just before the gate into Warrorot. About 800 Baht. But...the lady said that they would no longer have them. The Index company was going to discontinue them because there was such little demand for 'expensive' helmets for toddlers. Sad but true. They might have some left in stock..who knows....

• Like 2

You could try looking online for MotorX bike helmets (motorcycle not pushbike variant). As it is a sport, and off road, they go down to some very small sizes - and are built to higher standards than usually available here.

Depending on the type of "sidecar" (salang?) it might be better to put in a rear facing toddler seat and a small rollbar to protect it should it roll/flip. This will likely by as an "also" rather than an "instead".

• Like 1

I don't think any helmets sold in Thailand would pass Western standards.

Agree - I always get 5 star (Sharp) which are the best, but can be got from as little at 60 quid ("Airoh Speedfire" for example). See here: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/node/30. Bring them in hand luggage, but guess can be got mail order too (not second hand though!)

• Like 1

I took a hammer to my index helm and it held up, so I don't think they are that bad. I still would prefer Snell (if I remember right). that is what I used to have back in the US.

I found some relatively decent and sturdy helms for my daughter but again if it isn't tightly put on the chin strap can and will do more damage than not wearing a helm if in a wreck.

"You wouldn't even ask this question (if you are from a developed '1st world' country)"

I love this arrogance. NO ONE IN WESTERN COUNTRIES EVER TAKE CHILDREN ON MOTORCYCLES!!!!

Those stupid uneducated fools in third world developing nations don't know any better but all of you westerners should.

• Like 1

You can buy decent helmuts here, there are shops that sell only motorbike helmuts,

The ones I've seen, I think they were called Arai, start from about 20,000 baht.

You can buy decent helmuts here, there are shops that sell only motorbike helmuts,

The ones I've seen, I think they were called Arai, start from about 20,000 baht.

Arai are very good, Shoei too. Here's a post (from 2012 but they are importers) for helmets imported from Japan into Thailand (Arai/Shoei) http://www.monsterclub-thai.com/board/index.php?topic=2234.0

(Facebook page doesn't work anymore - but they have email/tel no.) - will need a Thai to call I think. Prices were from 12,500Baht Shoei Qwest Etherea Size XL. Might be worth a try.

Edited by wolf5370

Arai are very good, Shoei too. Here's a post (from 2012 but they are importers) for helmets imported from Japan into Thailand (Arai/Shoei) http://www.monsterclub-thai.com/board/index.php?topic=2234.0

(Facebook page doesn't work anymore - but they have email/tel no.) - will need a Thai to call I think. Prices were from 12,500Baht Shoei Qwest Etherea Size XL. Might be worth a try.

If the facebook page doesn't work anymore then I have doubts that the company will still exist anyway, I've never seen those imported helmets in toddler sizes inn Thailand.

BM have a decent toddler size helmet for about 600 Baht, though it is an open face helmet.

Isn't there a GT rider shop in Chiangmai? they will stock the BM helmets and a few other decent brands.

I know a shop where I have seen a childs full face helmet

proceed down the night market road and thru the lights at Pantip plaza

50m onto Chang klan take the road that forks diagonally to the right

proceed about 1 km to the traffic lights

turn right and theres a helmet shop on your left about 50m

• Like 1

Not true, INDEX has a series of helmets, named TITAN, and they meet the DOT standard (U.S. Deparment of Transportation).

"Real" brand helmets also. I crash tested a 1000 baht Index and it worked perfectly - otherwise I couldn't be writing this.

Not true, INDEX has a series of helmets, named TITAN, and they meet the DOT standard (U.S. Deparment of Transportation).

"Real" brand helmets also. I crash tested a 1000 baht Index and it worked perfectly - otherwise I couldn't be writing this.

Thanks for the update, I did not know about REAL.

I have noticed several toddlers with helmets over the past couple of months so someone is getting the word out. Yesterday I saw what looked like a 6 year old carrying a 6 month old on the back of Mummy's bike and, as the parent of a Little One, I found it very upsetting. The people that to do this mostly have no choice - what can you do if you've got no money and have to get from A to B?

I took a hammer to my index helm and it held up, so I don't think they are that bad. I still would prefer Snell (if I remember right). that is what I used to have back in the US.

I found some relatively decent and sturdy helms for my daughter but again if it isn't tightly put on the chin strap can and will do more damage than not wearing a helm if in a wreck.

"You wouldn't even ask this question (if you are from a developed '1st world' country)"

I love this arrogance. NO ONE IN WESTERN COUNTRIES EVER TAKE CHILDREN ON MOTORCYCLES!!!!

Those stupid uneducated fools in third world developing nations don't know any better but all of you westerners should.

Do a bit of Googling,after any sharp impact,even dropping,the helmet should be checked to be sure that the helmet has not lost it's protective properties.Seems from my searching that after the "hammer test" it should probably thrown away and a new on purchased.Please do not compare the risk to motorcyclist in"the west" to those in Thailand they do not equate.Having said that it's up to you.

post-67161-0-21034700-1375878214_thumb.j