PTTGC uses more chemicals than permitted to remove oil slick

webfact

PTTGC uses more chemicals than permitted to remove oil slick
By English News

13753548134384.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 2 - Thailand's Pollution Control Department head says that PTT Global Chemical (PTTGC) has used an amount of chemical dispersants to decompose the oil slick in the sea greater than the amount permitted by the agency.

Director general Wichien Jungrungruang said the company asked for permission to use 5,000 litres of the dispersant chemicals for the oil decomposition.

Nonetheless, PTTGC recently announced that it has so far already used 32,000 litres of chemicals to decompose the oil spill.

Mr Wichien said the company had not yet sought permission to release the over-regulation amount of chemicals. The director-general said the company should have, but he said the department understood that PTTGC needed to take immediate action to tackle the problem.

However, Mr Wichien commented that using chemical dispersants should be the last resort to be applied, for chemical residues might be left in the sea and leave more negative impact to the environment.

He said he had discussed with PTTGC that oil slick removed from the affected area will be decomposed by burning with high temperature in order to avoid causing air pollution.

Meanwhile, Marine and Coastal Resources Department director-general Vimol Chantararothai said the department is studying the oil slick incident to assess damages that have both short- and long-term impact on marine resources.

About 200 local fishemen registered with Rayong province claiming damages from PTTGC for their losing fishing and income opportunity during this period. The move was allowed by Rayong province itself and the Marine and Coastal Resources Department, as part of the process of estimating the damages.

The department will collect samples of the affected sea water to search for chemicals that could impact marine life in the long run for confidence of seafood consumers. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-08-02

He said he had discussed with PTTGC that oil slick removed from the affected area will be decomposed by burning with high temperature in order to avoid causing air pollution.

Well here is an award for the plain english certificate of the year.

"decomposed with Burning with high temperature" Strewth. "In order to avoid causing air pollution"??? Leave it on the sea to pick it up or degrade it or set fire to it. Hmmmm. Which is likely to cause worse air pollution.....

• Like 1

So they apply to use 5,000 litres for a 50 tonne spill so a ratio of about 10:1 which I understand is the recommended ratio for the chemicals used.

They use 32,000 litres so either they are using the dispersant at a much greater ratio or they are fighting a spill much larger than they declared.

The truth will come out one way or another.

This didn't happen by accident. They obviously knew they were dealing with something much larger. They sprayed like crazy, went home, and hoped like hell it wouldn't reach Samet, and the only people any the wiser would have been some fishermen. I mean honestly, who the hell packs up after one day and goes home from something like this???

• Like 2

From what little I understand of chemical dispersants they combine with the oil and sink it to the bottom where it is degraded over time by natural means.

If that is correct then dispersants are only an out of sight out of mind thing and the oil is in reality still there

I read that dispersants should only be used in deep water for at depth there is little or no strong currents or tidal movements and the oil stays in the same place.

But there is no deep water where the spill took place so if the above is correct, then the shallow water currents will move the residue around till it comes up against something where it will pile up, something like a coral reef or shore rocks.

So if 5,000 liters are good for 50,000 liters of oil and then 32,000 liters is good for 320,000 (320 tons) liters of oil. So how much was leaked? wink.png

Bloody hell mate you sound like my old maths teacher! laugh.png

Shame he doesn't work for PTT. They could use someone who's good at maths.

• Like 2

From what little I understand of chemical dispersants they combine with the oil and sink it to the bottom where it is degraded over time by natural means.

If that is correct then dispersants are only an out of sight out of mind thing and the oil is in reality still there

I read that dispersants should only be used in deep water for at depth there is little or no strong currents or tidal movements and the oil stays in the same place.

But there is no deep water where the spill took place so if the above is correct, then the shallow water currents will move the residue around till it comes up against something where it will pile up, something like a coral reef or shore rocks.

It doesn't necessarily sink it, it helps it to emulsify. But yes, it's likely that in shallow water some will sink to the bottom.

When you live among a population who hammers screws, one can not be surprised at such news.

This is true. They actually do. I wouldn't have beleved it unless I saw it myself. I watched the guy and he said, "I bet you have never seen anyone hammer in screws before." I concurred. He said, "It's better that way, they don't come out."

They always overfill oil in cars and bikes, more is better, more dispersant is better. Magic, it's gone. Problem solved.

• Like 2

They do not have a clue how to deal with the situation and this area of the holiday coast will have a very poor season.

seeing as you have determined that they dont have a clue, one supposes you have called PTT head office and offered your services on the basis of being an expert in hydro-carbon spill clean up and or emergency response ?

• Like 2

They do not have a clue how to deal with the situation and this area of the holiday coast will have a very poor season.

seeing as you have determined that they dont have a clue, one supposes you have called PTT head office and offered your services on the basis of being an expert in hydro-carbon spill clean up and or emergency response ?

so you think they got everything under control then,thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

so you think they got everything under control then,thumbsup.gif

one suspects they have it more under control than our resident hydrocarbon spill/emergency response "experts" are giving them credit for

When you live among a population who hammers screws, one can not be surprised at such news.

This is true. They actually do. I wouldn't have beleved it unless I saw it myself. I watched the guy and he said, "I bet you have never seen anyone hammer in screws before." I concurred. He said, "It's better that way, they don't come out."

They always overfill oil in cars and bikes, more is better, more dispersant is better. Magic, it's gone. Problem solved.

Anyone who has lived here long enough knows that thai people are remarkably unintelligent as an ex british envoy said.

• Like 2

"About 200 local fishemen registered with Rayong province claiming damages from PTTGC for their losing fishing and income opportunity during this period."

I think they forgot about the future too!

Sunisa.

• Like 1

Well here is an award for the plain english certificate of the year.

"decomposed with Burning with high temperature" Strewth. "In order to avoid causing air pollution"??? Leave it on the sea to pick it up or degrade it or set fire to it. Hmmmm. Which is likely to cause worse air pollution.....

That has to be one of the dumbest things I ever heard. On the other hand when we look at the source it might seem intelligent to them. Or xtnalogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.RfiuWLSbQJ.jpg better get a new translator.

"decomposed by burning with high temperature in order to avoid causing air pollution."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"About 200 local fishemen registered with Rayong province claiming damages from PTTGC for their losing fishing and income opportunity during this period."

I think they forgot about the future too!

Sunisa.

Now this will be interesting as "they" will have to monitor and test the water and seafood for traces of oil contamination. Add to this the dispersant and its effects.

Anyone that lives by the sea can see that every time it rains every junk gets washed into the ocean - its all the gunge from the roads, dog shyt, rubbish, drainage, everything.

So when they test for the oil contaminants and the dispersant will this as well as the junk show up in the seafood ? or be covered up?

Chalerm will fix it.

Somebody should.