Smelly Car

Seems odd - a checkup should include checking the filter. I think the Toyota staff had a crack at you, did you have or have you had any conflict in the past with them?

If you look at the air filter hosing configuration, you'll note that it's virtually impossible for a rat to get there by itself.

A better trick is to tie-wire a fish on top of the the muffler. w00t.gif

• Like 1

Trust me, I am a friendly guy and have not even the slightest beef with the guys at Toyota.

The Rat could have entered after the old filter was removed. There was a bit of time, as the sales Ladies first showed me the old filter, to ask permission to change it.

On the other hand the guys at the local garage were not the slightest bit surprized and obviously dealt with same problem before. So there must be some other way for the beast to get in. Probably the same where the air gets in....

Next time I will just get myself a car-snake. ...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Years ago, (in China) my housekeeper and secretary/translator very politely suggested I may want to shower more. About the same time, I started smelling something amiss myself. Looked over my entire apartment and could not find it. Finally, a week later, I moved the bed an inch and found a very dead bat had been crushed between the bed and the wall.

It's interesting that the guy at the dealership recognized the smell right away. I guess they must get quite a few.

Years ago, we agreed to look after our friends' car while they went on holiday. They dropped off the car and we locked it in the back shed.

When they returned about a week later, we opened the door of the shed and were hit with the most rotten stench I've ever sensed.

On the morning they'd gone away, they'd been to the butcher and bought a side of lamb for freezing .... but had forgotten to take it out of the boot of the car. Took them weeks to get the smell (and the maggots) out.

Edited by Songhua

Luckily the usual smells in my pick-up emanate from my rear orifice. Guess I've been lucky.....no rats!

That particular smell can be confused with a catalytic converter that's gone bad.

Luckily the usual smells in my pick-up emanate from my rear orifice. Guess I've been lucky.....no rats!

That particular smell can be confused with a catalytic converter that's gone bad.

But he can't use that excuse in the bedroom eh. .....whistling.gif ..........................................laugh.png

• Like 1

Just today, I noticed a smell like cat piss in my Fortuner. I tracked it down to wet carpets, a result of water slopping out of a water container. Easy to fix.

A week or so ago I also noticed unusual noise and also spotted black foam fragments in the driver seat well. That turned out to be a rat attack on the seal that fits around the brake pedal at the bulkhead - without the seal, engine noise intruded. That required the whole damn fitting to be replaced, it was both costly and time-consuming.

Bugger the rats!

In Malaysia one of our guys left 2 durians in the boot/trunk of his car parked outside at the airport for a couple of days. The stench can be imagined! His amah cleaned the car then put pandan leaves in the boot - removed the remaining odour very quickly. Don't know if it works for rats, milk etc.

About a month ago I had the same thing with my Triton. Air conditioning started to smell. Not a dead rat but a nest with droppings etc. Took it to the dealer and got a clean out and new filter - total cost about 700-800 baht. Seems to have fixed the problem.

you can prevent rats getting in by putting the switch on circulate air from your ac in stead of outside air

had it a couple times till i started doing that since then never a dead rat

• Like 1

my dad brought some eggs to boil at his work and forgot all about them until 2 weeks later when they exploded in the glovecompartment

spend long time cleaning the mess but the smell was so bad that days later you could still taste it

ended after he put a new glovebox in and ritually burned the old

I left a ziplock pack of prawn bait on the back seat of my Merc (beautiful new Marino custom sheep covers) and went on a trip fro a week. The car was in a secured compound but in the sun - temp got up to C35+ during the week. When I returned the rotting prawns had caused the bag to open and the juices had soaked all the way through the seating - great ride home with three kids in the back! I sold the car shortly after!

• Like 1

I left a ziplock pack of prawn bait on the back seat of my Merc (beautiful new Marino custom sheep covers) and went on a trip fro a week. The car was in a secured compound but in the sun - temp got up to C35+ during the week. When I returned the rotting prawns had caused the bag to open and the juices had soaked all the way through the seating - great ride home with three kids in the back! I sold the car shortly after!

Was the buyer desperate?!

555 I did not realize that that the auto-correct made fun of the car. I may refer to it forth on as "fortuneteller". I think it is funny.

• Like 1

I had a 4 foot Diamond Back rattlesnake curled up on the top of my old 1952 Dodge

Power Wagon's transfer case once, way back in the late 70's. The snake didn't smell

one bit, however I can't say that about my britches & me after I saw it.

Edited by sunshine51

so you got your rat together with your car maintenance?

should you go complain someone at toyota wishes you bad health or worse ?

Nah, not even sure if one has something to do with the other. Problem is solved and car now has the best odor, ever.

555 I did not realize that that the auto-correct made fun of the car. I may refer to it forth on as "fortuneteller". I think it is funny.

Yes, my iPad is forever "correcting" things I've typed with results that suggest I'm dealing from a deck of 49 cards.

I had a dead paddy rat in my car aircon too, a few years back. It managed to chew through some wires about the time it, and the aircon, died and then just cooked in there for several days. Not pleasant. Guys at Ford said I had probably left the vent open when out in the fields or at home at night, and the rat crawled in and was electrocuted next time I used the aircon. Not uncommon apparently. I always make sure the vents are closed now.