Photo Of Abhisit Visiting Disaster-Struck Koh Samet Backfires

Lite Beer

In his defence the waves yesterday were very very choppy. I also came on the speed boat and it was very bumpy. This is the normal way to land on the beach by the speed boat when the waves a big because you cannot bring the boat all the way to the shore without damaging it. He is in Koh Samet and drawing attention to the problem, after that boat ride trust me there are easier ways to get self promoting PR than coming to Samet when the waves are bad.

Incidentally, I am told that the PM will arrive this evening on the island. It has been planned for some days that she would come to Samet straight from the airport when her plane arrives from Africa. It will be interesting to see if she arrives on Ao Prao the same way. Now she is one, I imagine really wouldn't enjoy the journey by speed boat and by the looks of it the waves are bigger today. Maybe she will get a huge navy boat all to herself! Maybe she won't mind getting her feet wet!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely it is the intellect and not the institution which separates the Prime Minister and Abhisit.

• Louis Vuitton handbag range ... or was it shoes ... or was it she was getting her hair done .
  • shopaholic yingluck
  • The current corn flakes packet educated leader
There is no place for the usual negative Triped out nonsense on this forum or for the ex leader in Thailand's politics.

The Thai people have given a clear mandate.

What drunken condo bound falungs think is totally irrelevant, if not some what amusing.

I bet my house and belongings put yours in the shadows, Motty. :)
  • Like 1

Surely it is the intellect and not the institution which separates the Prime Minister and Abhisit.

• Louis Vuitton handbag range ... or was it shoes ... or was it she was getting her hair done .
  • shopaholic yingluck

There is no place for the usual negative Triped out nonsense on this forum or for the ex leader in Thailand's politics.

What drunken condo bound falungs think is totally irrelevant, if not some what amusing.

Maybe you could enlighten us with the clear mandate 52% of the voting population gave.

Better to be amusing than siting on a bar stool paying some over the hill lady to tell you she loves you. Or to being just plain ignorant.

+1

The elite Eton educated former leader at least showed up. The current corn flakes packet educated leader is far too busy to do the same.

So you want her to have a photo op like Abhisit?

The key ministers have been there and the tourism minister is there now.

What's the point of having ministers if they are not allowed to do their jobs?

In his defence the waves yesterday were very very choppy. I also came on the speed boat and it was very bumpy. This is the normal way to land on the beach by the speed boat when the waves a big because you cannot bring the boat all the way to the shore without damaging it. He is in Koh Samet and drawing attention to the problem, after that boat ride trust me there are easier ways to get self promoting PR than coming to Samet when the waves are bad.

Incidentally, I am told that the PM will arrive this evening on the island. It has been planned for some days that she would come to Samet straight from the airport when her plane arrives from Africa. It will be interesting to see if she arrives on Ao Prao the same way. Now she is one, I imagine really wouldn't enjoy the journey by speed boat and by the looks of it the waves are bigger today. Maybe she will get a huge navy boat all to herself! Maybe she won't mind getting her feet wet!

Say what you want, but she has an ability to empathize with people. Whether it is sincere is another matter.

Abhisit just cannot connect with regular Thai people the way the PM can. I know it is hard to grasp, but people do see her as caring and compassionate. Maybe Abhisit has those qualities, but his attempts to show empathy fail. Maybe it's his old school English upbringing, I don't know. He's not a bad guy, but he just can't pull it off.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2

Incidentally, I am told that the PM will arrive this evening on the island. It has been planned for some days that she would come to Samet straight from the airport when her plane arrives from Africa. It will be interesting to see if she arrives on Ao Prao the same way.

If she arrives the same way, she needs to fire her PR people for not learning from this.

I suspect she'll take a helicopter, which would be prudent for a leader of state. Besides she needs an aerial view of the extent of the damage, including the surrounding area.

But arriving by helicopter may elicit a similar response. Let's see.

• Like 1

Incidentally, I am told that the PM will arrive this evening on the island. It has been planned for some days that she would come to Samet straight from the airport when her plane arrives from Africa. It will be interesting to see if she arrives on Ao Prao the same way.

If she arrives the same way, she needs to fire her PR people for not learning from this.

I suspect she'll take a helicopter, which would be prudent for a leader of state. Besides she needs an aerial view of the extent of the damage, including the surrounding area.

But arriving by helicopter may elicit a similar response. Let's see.

She will have to arrive and depart before dark if she goes by helicopter.

• Like 1

• shopaholic yingluck

Well said Dunque.

So many falang on here are only interested in negativity. They just don't geddit do they? These swivel-eyed loons can be seen and heard in bars all over Thailand proving that they brought with them their right-wing politics. Democracy seems an alien concept to these yellow shirt supporters.

The article is spot on in that the hapless Abhisit is made to look err, well....hapless.

Nice chap, no doubt but not elected Prime Minister material.

• Like 1

Good. My morning chuckle at last. Appears that a lot of the same posters here who were taking shots at Nattawut a few weeks back (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/650908-nattawut-speaks-out-on-photo-showing-him-in-feudal-manner/) over an image of him taken out of context are now running to Abhisit's defence on this occasion. Consistency anyone?

Now it seems that this contraption was used to transport Abhisit from a boat to the beach. Fair enough ... he shouldn't be expected to wade waist-deep in sludge (or water for that matter). But at least he could have left the tailored office-wear at home for once. No-one would have begrudged him jeans and a t-shirt under these circumstances. [Of course, one of his aids would have probably had to run out and purchase said articles of clothing]

A very unfortunate photo. Of course this one is used and not the 100 others that may be more suitable / fair.

I like that he actually went there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Saw it on the Thai news last night could not understand what was being said but it also showed people standing three deep in spotless white overalls with some oil on their boots.

Good. My morning chuckle at last. Appears that a lot of the same posters here who were taking shots at Nattawut a few weeks back (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/650908-nattawut-speaks-out-on-photo-showing-him-in-feudal-manner/) over an image of him taken out of context are now running to Abhisit's defence on this occasion. Consistency anyone?

Now it seems that this contraption was used to transport Abhisit from a boat to the beach. Fair enough ... he shouldn't be expected to wade waist-deep in sludge (or water for that matter). But at least he could have left the tailored office-wear at home for once. No-one would have begrudged him jeans and a t-shirt under these circumstances. [Of course, one of his aids would have probably had to run out and purchase said articles of clothing]

Takes quite a stretch of the imagination to compare the two pictures.facepalm.gif

Reminds me of the early 60s when they had this pill that made people think they could fly, They recommended to take it with some one around who was straight. Later it became a little less shall we say imaginative.smile.png

• shopaholic yingluck

Maybe you could enlighten us with the clear mandate 52% of the voting population gave.

Better to be amusing than siting on a bar stool paying some over the hill lady to tell you she loves you. Or to being just plain ignorant.

It's a clear mandate.All democracies tend to be split more or less down the middle so electoral battles are really about convincing floating voters at the margin.The PTP won this battle at the last election, actually quite easily and thus have a convincing mandate.

Naturally a few Neanderthals argue the toss as they do with Obama's victory in the US.But they're not really worth bothering with.

No body argues Obama's victory in the US. You are thinking of Bush and Gore. Same thing we have here the minority got to choose the mandate and look at the results the US got two unwinable wars and we get to make politicians richer than ever before and the poor just as poor if not more so. Also get to have bills that have nothing to do with reunification of a deeply divided country. Rather ones that no matter which ever way they go will just deepen the divide.

Don't lecture me on recent US history.There are a great many who question Obama's mandate not least the GOP majority in the US Senate.The rest of your post is just bar talk drivel and unworthy of a response.

Takes quite a stretch of the imagination to compare the two pictures.facepalm.gif

Reminds me of the early 60s when they had this pill that made people think they could fly, They recommended to take it with some one around who was straight. Later it became a little less shall we say imaginative.smile.png

Hmmm, how so? Photo one: Nattawut surrounded by kneeling staffers who are trying to communicate with a sitting person while trying not to disrupt a meeting in progress (happens all the time ... everywhere); photo was misleadingly depicted as a return to feudal practice. Photo two: Abhisit being hauled to shore on a platform to avoid getting wet; photo depicted in the 'media' as if he's behaving like a Oriental despot of old being transported by chariot slaves. Rather similar situations, I'd say.

Edited by Docno
  • Like 1

I actually like Abhisit, but this was a very stupid way to tour the disaster area. He should have been there in jeans and work shirt, and wading through the mess. And it esp. looks very bad having his underlings down in the sand and water pushing him around so he does't muss himself up. A very damaging photo indeed.

That being said ... at least he was there. Yinluck should definitely have been there and she missed a great political opportunity.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

So what was he supposed to do, take a swim and afterwards have a tar-sand body scrub? And isn't it funny how they scrutinize him for eliteness in a country where the people are all about class and sucking up to the Hi-So???

Edited by pacovl46

I actually like Abhisit, but this was a very stupid way to tour the disaster area. He should have been there in jeans and work shirt, and wading through the mess. And it esp. looks very bad having his underlings down in the sand and water pushing him around so he does't muss himself up. A very damaging photo indeed.

That being said ... at least he was there. Yinluck should definitely have been there and she missed a great political opportunity.

For what? So the general public can go and say "Awwww look how he got down and dirty?" I'd rather have him be there and be himself instead of a shitty PR-stunt, which this was too, but at least he kept it real. As far as Yingluck goes, I guess her Burberry boots didn't agree with getting oily. ;-)