True Mobile banned used of VPN

homeownership

I used to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network), for accessig website from my Ipad. It gave the impression, I was in Manchester, England, even when here in my house in Chiang Mai.

True wont let me connect anymore have said I will be personally banned if I try to use a bypassing IP address again.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

nope, sucks though. how did they find out? there are certainly plenty of people using them

IP Information: 27.55.146.147

ISP: Truemove

Organization: Realmove Company Limited

Connection: Dial-up

Services: None Detected

City: Bangkok

Region: Krung Thep

Don't want this ↑↑↑ known? Hide your IP details

Above is the data my ip address gives out. When I use a VPN it says Manchester UK.

Although the city I am in is Chiang Mai, it shows here as Bangkok for some reason, i dont know how they found out or how to stop them from finding out.

True move H is the best solution fore as it gives me the speed I need for less than 1000 a month.

If anyone has a work around, please PM me, I am desperate !!!

get another truemove h sim and go prepaid, repeat if rumbled.

you cannot get a personal ban if they dont have your name.

I thought of this, my only concern was if I pay the monthly fee of 850 baht or so and try to connect, then get banned, it gets expensive.

Worth a try though thanks fo the help.

nope, sucks though. how did they find out? there are certainly plenty of people using them

Above is the data my ip address gives out. When I use a VPN it says Manchester UK.

Although the city I am in is Chiang Mai, it shows here as Bangkok for some reason, i dont know how they found out or how to stop them from finding out.

True move H is the best solution fore as it gives me the speed I need for less than 1000 a month.

Not an expert but are you logging onto your own server in Manchester?

Most VPN services change the remote IP address constantlt so it can't be identified with a local address. That's what my service does. Also most services let you connect to various counties all over the world.. Under those circumstances I don't know how True could link back to your IP address.

Not an expert but are you logging onto your own server in Manchester?

Most VPN services change the remote IP address constantlt so it can't be identified with a local address. That's what my service does. Also most services let you connect to various counties all over the world.. Under those circumstances I don't know how True could link back to your IP address.

VPN works by connecting to a remote server which handles all your requests. E.g. when you visit Google.com through a VPN in the UK, you connect to your VPN server, tell it you want to visit Google.com, it resolves the domain name, handles the request, then sends you the response. Google.com only sees your HTTP request from that system in the UK so thinks you're in the UK. True only sees your connection to the VPN server. They can identify that you use a VPN because you use VPN specific ports. SSTP VPN is special because it appears as normal HTTPS traffic - True would see as you browsing a HTTPS website.

• Like 2

True H also Blocks VOIP traffic. Everything appears to work normally but once your call is answered, the packets only travel in one direction.

You can hear the other party, but they can not hear you. It worked fine on the old True system, but after changing to True H, it has been blocked.

• Like 2

everything is being routed through the NSA servers in Thailand

they know exactly where you are

if u use a smart phone the they know your having a coffee at Tucom Starbucks

Please explain how that affects a VPN?

• Like 1

I thought I saw an article somewhere right here on TV about Thailand moving to ban the use of VPNs. Didn't I? Figment of my imagination? Depending on what type of VPN you're using, I guess there might be something telltale about your connection with the VPN server, even though it's tunneled & encrypted, that identifies the connection as probable VPN, esp. if it's a commercial service whose server IPs are something less than a state secret even if overseas. If it's your own personal VPN server operating back home, it won't be on such a list obviously, but maybe the packet headers give it away as VPN anyway. Have you experimented with the different types of VPNs besides IPsec (which is readily identifiable as a VPN connection even though the payload content might be encrypted) - esp. varying the port addresses in use?

This is kind of weird. I can see govts trying to intercept and pry into VPNs, but banning them? Lots of people have very legitimate reasons for tunneling their connections. It's not all about political discourse, terrorism & drugs, and it's not just governments that users are looking for security from. VPNs offer viable security from various kinds of hack attacks and criminal intrusion. To ban them is to throw the baby out with the bath water. A company I worked for actually required their use in order to be able to connect to the corporate network, and I don't think that's unusual at all.

Then again, Thailand wouldn't be the only country to ban their use...

• Like 1

True has been blocking openVPN for a while too. Since at least this year.

of course you can always bypass by changing port and protocol to look like other allowed traffic.

But it totally sux that True keep filtering services, VPN, Voip on 3G.

I thought I saw an article somewhere right here on TV about Thailand moving to ban the use of VPNs. Didn't I?

I have a pinned topic on VPNs in Thailand. There are way too many International companies that rely on VPN for their corporate network connections for a ban to be implemented. On the other hand, foresight by the government is sorely missing.

of course you can always bypass by changing port and protocol to look like other allowed traffic.

Not true.

I use it all the time with True ADSL. Never had a problem.

The major reason I use a VPN is not the hysterical "they are out to watch me", but simply the crappy infrastructure of Thai ISPs. Like broken transparent proxies etc. Once your IP traffic is outside of Thai influence, things work much better.

Yes, line, I also feel like I should understand more about VPNs such as what exactly they are, the pros and cons and if they are that useful, how a private individual with a PC and WiFi home network connected to the net via an ISP could set one up? I know about IT from a business process point of view (ERP applications implementations in particular) but not the nitty gritty on infrastructure and technical setup as I have had tech's to assist with that.

My daughter did say to me a while back I should consider a VPN for privacy as I download torrents. Took it under advisement but haven't checked it out any further. I am currently located in Sydney but will soon be relocating to 'The dark side' with my family so need to be up to speed on this for Thailand I guess?

So for those of us who don't know or understand about VPNs can anyone provide a good site or sites online where a mere mortal can bone up on the subject? 'VPNs for Dummys??'

So for those of us who don't know or understand about VPNs can anyone provide a good site or sites online where a mere mortal can bone up on the subject? 'VPNs for Dummys??'

As ever with things like this 'Google is your friend' - even if you don't trust the f**kers! Lots of sites have quite good documents about what a VPN is / does, and why it might be better or worse than using a proxy.

I've never experienced a problem using one, but I use a private rackspace server and don't use default ports. Hint: if a certain piece of commercial software uses a particular port, then if you don't use that software, but your OpenVPN uses its port ID, then what are you using?...

True H also Blocks VOIP traffic. Everything appears to work normally but once your call is answered, the packets only travel in one direction.

You can hear the other party, but they can not hear you. It worked fine on the old True system, but after changing to True H, it has been blocked.

Yep, TRUE doesn't allow VOIP, every one of my calls where terminated at 5:21 mins like clockwork. There really are pricks. No Probs with CAT and 3BB.

Not true.

I use it all the time with True ADSL. Never had a problem.

The major reason I use a VPN is not the hysterical "they are out to watch me", but simply the crappy infrastructure of Thai ISPs. Like broken transparent proxies etc. Once your IP traffic is outside of Thai influence, things work much better.

how nice for you, however we are discussing truemove h

Yep, TRUE doesn't allow VOIP, every one of my calls where terminated at 5:21 mins like clockwork. There really are pricks. No Probs with CAT and 3BB.

3bb does 3g?

The OP doesn't say what he was using the VPN for.

TrueMove might not be blocking him because he's using a VPN specifically (I use a VPN all the time with True for connecting to the office - admittedly that's with ADSL, not on my mobile).

It may actually be because of the amount of bandwidth he's using if he's doing something like watching iPlayer over his mobile connection.

As for what a VPN is - it's software on your PC (or on your router), that connects you to a remote network (either by an IP address - i.e. 10.10.127.255 - or a domain name, which is common if you set up one yourself - like at dyndns.org) and encrypts that connection from your computer to the remote computer so that you're simply seen as another connection on that remote network. (Which is why companies often require remote workers to use a VPN).

I mainly use an IPSec VPN myself, but that's down to what software the office requires. But different types of VPN have their own benefits and weaknesses. (i.e. iPads are fairly restricted in what they'll work with, etc.)

Most public VPN services will simply let you go to the internet from the location you've connected to so that, as far as the rest of the internet is concerned, you connected in that location.

This is useful for security (i.e. if you're connecting to the internet through a public Wifi hotspot, or through a hotel network - this will encrypt everything going to and from your computer in the hotspot, so that people can't get anything with a packet sniffer). It's also useful for making things that check where you are work when they don't work from Thailand normally (iPlayer in the UK, Netflix, Hulu, and websites that are blocked in Thailand like wikileaks, etc.). But video streaming services like iPlayer will use a lot of bandwidth so mobile providers probably won't appreciate you watching TV all the time on a mobile connection.

Doesn't at all surprise me that a mobile internet provider would ban voip as this cuts into their business. However, banning the use of a vpn is quite lame.

I use true cable net and have no problems using a vpn or voip. I hope that doesn't change.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4 Beta