True Mobile banned used of VPN

homeownership

True H also Blocks VOIP traffic. Everything appears to work normally but once your call is answered, the packets only travel in one direction.

You can hear the other party, but they can not hear you. It worked fine on the old True system, but after changing to True H, it has been blocked.

Yep, TRUE doesn't allow VOIP, every one of my calls where terminated at 5:21 mins like clockwork. There really are pricks. No Probs with CAT and 3BB.

What do you mean when you say you can't use VOIP calls with True Move H??? (And obviously, if you're calls are running to 5+ minutes, you are able to make and use them....just not without a time limit.)

Are you talking about using app-based Internet calling services for Android mobiles like Viber, Tango, Line, Skype, etc etc?

Or are you talking about some other type of VOIP calling?

I'm with Avender, sounds like something I should know. These things sound like a proxy, is this why they are going after them? It doesn't sound like the company would lose revenue, or burn bandwidth.

A web proxy is different in that there's no "tunneling" involved. All of your outbound connection requests go through a "proxy" server somewhere which then re-initiates the request for you to the actual website. To the destination website, it looks like it's the proxy that's connecting, not your PC. To anyone watching YOUR PC, it looks as if you're just connecting with some unknown server on regular well known web ports (80 or 443). This is relevant if the actual website you're trying to connect with is blocked via its IP address for some reason. If the web proxy server is not ITSELF blocked (and in Thailand, some of the well known ones are), then you'll be able to connect where you otherwise wouldn't have been. A web proxy can also possibly provide you with some security should the site you're trying to get to be infected, since YOUR connection is with the proxy rather than the website. In other words, a web proxy is just a middleman, often intended to bypass blocked sites. Their use is easy for ISPs and administrators to spot if they know about them; they can be blocked just like anything else.

With a VPN, you're setting up a (usually) encrypted "tunnel" (i.e., your traffic is logically separated from all other traffic sharing that physical medium) with either a VPN server somewhere, or possibly your actual destination (called a point-to-point VPN). For purposes of this thread they're talking mostly about the former. They offer much more security than web proxies, but from the end of the tunnel (the VPN server you're configured to connect with) to the actual website you're connecting with, it's just a regular connection. VPNs can also theoretically be blocked by different means; I just don't think it happens very often since service subscribers frequently have very legitimate reasons for needing the security of VPNs provide. Ex. many people wouldn't think of connecting from a public hotspot without a VPN, and many companies require that their employees use them.

In my experience, web proxies are less reliable than VPNs. I think it's because they don't always handle java and other scripting very well. VPNs, for me, have been more reliable, but entail just a bit more effort to set up.

So for those of us who don't know or understand about VPNs can anyone provide a good site or sites online where a mere mortal can bone up on the subject? 'VPNs for Dummys??'

As ever with things like this 'Google is your friend' - even if you don't trust the f**kers! Lots of sites have quite good documents about what a VPN is / does, and why it might be better or worse than using a proxy.

I've never experienced a problem using one, but I use a private rackspace server and don't use default ports. Hint: if a certain piece of commercial software uses a particular port, then if you don't use that software, but your OpenVPN uses its port ID, then what are you using?...

Yes, Google's my friend but was hoping to hedge of someone else's research (for a change) cause when confronted by this stuff I usually spend a good few hours sorting the wheat from the chaff before getting at all productive. Thought it may be useful for others also.

Anyways, will do some research over the next few days and report back a couple of decent sites for others wanting to understand this topic.

Maybe a mod should move this to a more general IT topic?

Edited by avander

What is a Virtual Private Network (VPN)?

A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, is a group of two or more computer systems, typically connected to a private network, that communicates securely over a public network (typically the Internet). VPNs may exist between an individual machine and a private network (client-to-server or remote access) or a remote LAN and a private network (site-to-site).

Site to site VPNs involve the use of dedicated VPN hardware at each remote site. Remote access VPNs however, utilize a central site VPN concentrator and a software VPN client. The client is installed on the users' desktop or laptop computers and enables the users to establish a secure, encrypted tunnel to the office network.

A VPN connection extends the boundaries of the physical network. Computers that gain access to a VPN can potentially access all the resources of the private network as if they were physically connected to it. This allows for workers, consultants, external vendors and offshore support to connect to the corporate network from any spot on earth, and perform their job remotely. The number of concurrent VPN connections is only limited by the public network bandwidth and the performance capabilities of the VPN server/appliance.

More details here - Understanding VPN Remote access

vpn-diag_small.gif

True wont let me connect anymore have said I will be personally banned if I try to use a bypassing IP address again.

Can the OP share any details? Did TrueMove H contact you somehow to inform you that you would personally be banned? If so, did they quote any Terms and Conditions which you are violating?

There are a lot of issues using a VPN, especially through a private network and with iOS. I assume you've properly configured your iDevice for VPN service(s)?

People here also need to understand and be clear...there are different varieties of True internet services...

There is:

--True Online Docsis (cable line delivered) internet to your home

--True Online ADSL (phone line delivered) internet to your home

--True Move H 3G mobile internet via your mobile phone or tablet

--And there's True Move public wifi via their various public wifi hotspots

They're all operated by various arms of True Corp. But they don't all have the same policies or limitations.

AFAIK, all varieties of VPNs and VOIP calling work perfectly fine with True Online's cable and DSL internet services.

If True Move H restricts either VPN use or VOIP calling via mobile phones, it's the first I've heard of it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

People here also need to understand and be clear...there are different varieties of True internet services...

The thread title seems clear to me, "True Mobile", which implies TrueMove H.

Obviously a few posters cannot read or comprehend English, based on their posts, but I suspect most understand that the OP is putting forth the contention that TrueMove H is blocking VPNs, and that post was quite clear and understandable.

The OP implies that TrueMove H communicated with him, "True ... have said I will be personally banned if I try to use a bypassing IP address again", which sounds unusual, and would seem to preclude any configuration issues.

I've searched many Thai forums and cannot find any references to TrueMove H's blocking of VPN sessions initiated on their mobile network.

In some cases this capability might be marketed to corporate customers, at a premium, as is done in some other geographies, but I cannot find any reference to such a premiums service here in Thailand, or with TrueMove H specifically.

Loma... I obviously wasn't referring to the OP, but rather, the various other posters in the thread who were mixing up and variously referring to all different kinds of True provided internet -- not the particular True Move H service referenced by the OP...

And you clearly saw the same problem/confusion, based on your prior post:

Obviously a few posters cannot read or comprehend English, based on their posts,

That was the audience I was addressing my explanation to.

Meanwhile, you seem to be reinforcing what I already said above...and that is that we haven't heard any prior reports of True Move H somehow blocking VPN access to their mobile service, as the OP believes is occurring.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

nope, sucks though. how did they find out? there are certainly plenty of people using them

IP Information: 27.55.146.147

ISP: Truemove

Organization: Realmove Company Limited

Connection: Dial-up

Services: None Detected

City: Bangkok

Region: Krung Thep

Don't want this ↑↑↑ known? Hide your IP details

Above is the data my ip address gives out. When I use a VPN it says Manchester UK.

Although the city I am in is Chiang Mai, it shows here as Bangkok for some reason, i dont know how they found out or how to stop them from finding out.

True move H is the best solution fore as it gives me the speed I need for less than 1000 a month.

If anyone has a work around, please PM me, I am desperate !!!

Although you are in CM, above is just reflecting Truemove headquarters/listed addressed. And if you moved up to Chiang Rai it will still probably reflect Truemove headquarters address in Bangkok. Not to be confused with identifying your specific GPS location if using a smartphone to show your specific location on Earth (like in CM) or even just letting Google use information obtained from Wifi devices to get a more specific location. Heck, even when I'm using my Wifi-only tablet (which also has no built-in GPS radio ) at home and since I have the Google Android settings turned on to allow location identification by using GPS and/or Wifi device location, when I use Google Maps it will correctly identify my western Bangkok location to within a few meters...this is when I found out that apparently the address (like your home or public places) tied to Wifi-routers is able to be detected by Google location services or other such services.

I get the same response as you did from whatismyipaddress.com when using it on my TrueOnline DOCSIS/cable internet. Now I'm in western Bangkok so I guess you could say, "Well, it's showing your are indeed in Bangkok." However, when you zoom in to the specific IP address location on the whatismyipaddress.com map, it zooms into central Bangkok where the True Headquarters is located; not my western Bangkok location around 10kilometers away as the crow flies...numerous more kilometers road-wise.

Now, when I use my DTAC 3G connection on my smartphone it says DTAC and just says Thailand...and when zooming in on the map it shows some location probably a 100KM north of me. Of course its still a Thailand IP address/locaton, with or without GPS turned on....I guess whatismyipaddress.com is relying on correct (or incorrect) GPS coordinates provides by the service providers. But when I turn my smartphone wifi on to connect to my home Wifi versus DTAC 3G then whatismyaddress.com reflects the central Bangkok location just like my laptop did.

But enough about your specific location in Thailand being identified, I expect you are just concerned about "any" Thailand IP address/location being identified. And of course, your Thailand address will be found-out anytime you logon "without" using your VPN service.

I use VPN frequently on TrueOnline...using StrongVPN with a San Francisco, California/U.S. IP address...no problems...no nasty emails from True...when logged onto my VPN account it does reflect a California location. But as soon as I log off VPN, my IP address is back to being reported as Bangkok by services like whatismyipaddress.com whether I'm using VPN, browsing, emailing...and VOIP also works fine on VPN. Ditto when using VPN on my DTAC 3G service.

When you say you don't know how "they" found out in your other post, who specifically is "they." Is it TrueMove? Or is it the whatismyipaddress.com web site? Just who? And how did the "who" specifically notify your that if you continue to use VPN they will ban you?...by an email...by some pop-up message...by a SMS....etc?

nope, sucks though. how did they find out? there are certainly plenty of people using them

IP Information: 27.55.146.147

ISP: Truemove

Organization: Realmove Company Limited

Connection: Dial-up

Services: None Detected

City: Bangkok

Region: Krung Thep

Don't want this ↑↑↑ known? Hide your IP details

Above is the data my ip address gives out. When I use a VPN it says Manchester UK.

Although the city I am in is Chiang Mai, it shows here as Bangkok for some reason, i dont know how they found out or how to stop them from finding out.

True move H is the best solution fore as it gives me the speed I need for less than 1000 a month.

If anyone has a work around, please PM me, I am desperate !!!

Not an expert but are you logging onto your own server in Manchester?

Most VPN services change the remote IP address constantlt so it can't be identified with a local address. That's what my service does. Also most services let you connect to various counties all over the world.. Under those circumstances I don't know how True could link back to your IP address.

VPN works by connecting to a remote server which handles all your requests. E.g. when you visit Google.com through a VPN in the UK, you connect to your VPN server, tell it you want to visit Google.com, it resolves the domain name, handles the request, then sends you the response. Google.com only sees your HTTP request from that system in the UK so thinks you're in the UK. True only sees your connection to the VPN server. They can identify that you use a VPN because you use VPN specific ports. SSTP VPN is special because it appears as normal HTTPS traffic - True would see as you browsing a HTTPS website.

This is not 100% correct. Yes, SSTP uses port 443 (as does Open VPN) which is the same port that HTTPS uses but that doesn't mean the ISP can't detect it's VPN traffic based on the packet headers.

Here is a very easy way that SSTP could be blocked by a corporate firewall and I'm sure the ISP have no problems implementing this if they want.

4) How to block SSTP based VPN connections to traverse out of corporate network?

For any reason, if the network administrator wants to block all outgoing SSTP based VPN connection, then it can be done at the web proxy level. If there is a web proxy (i.e. forward proxy) deployed inside the corporate network which can do filtering of different attributes inside HTTP CONNECT header, then SSTP based connections can be blocked as it adds a fixed field (SSTP_VERSION: *) inside the HTTP CONNECT header

I should also add that OpenVPN actually uses SSL which is what is normally found on port 443 so it's not as easy to detect from the headers as SSTP is. That said, OpenVPN does not use the standard SSL and China is currently doing DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) on 443 traffic and then blocking OpenVPN traffic when it's detected.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

I should also add that OpenVPN actually uses SSL which is what is normally found on port 443 so it's not as easy to detect from the headers as SSTP is. That said, OpenVPN does not use the standard SSL and China is currently doing DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) on 443 traffic and then blocking OpenVPN traffic when it's detected.

there is way to bypass the DPI in china now..

i am with www.smallvpn.com on their openvpn but i am in thailand.. so, nothing to worry about china DPI..(i can always ask my vpn provider to add in the bypass when i am in china)

i feel that openvpn is better than sstp since it is 2048 bit in encryption ..

• 2 months later...

I have DSL with True Internet and I use Hide-my-ip. Two or three weeks ago it just stopped working. Anyone else have this problem? Is True blocking it? It was working fine a month ago.

Also, my old job in the USA has a VPN so that the employees can log into the network from home. I use Cisco VPN client, I log in, I get the little yellow lock symbol that I am connected, but then if I try to go to certain websites, I still get the message that it's being blocked by the Thai government.

Any ideas? Thanks.

If the reason you're using VPN happens to be for TV, like many people, why not try one of the DNS services like unotelly.com instead - I used to have 2 VPNs one for UK and one for US - ended up not using at all them when I found the service.

If the reason you're using VPN happens to be for TV, like many people, why not try one of the DNS services like unotelly.com instead - I used to have 2 VPNs one for UK and one for US - ended up not using at all them when I found the service.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a cool service, but I'm not trying to use VPN for TV. Just trying to get access to certain websites.

everything is being routed through the NSA servers in Thailand

they know exactly where you are

if u use a smart phone the they know your having a coffee at Tucom Starbucks

Most likely they don't because at a certain time there are many users making use of the same dynamic ip.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lots of other VPN providers out there that aren't quite as heavily concerned with attracting users from Arabic countries. And the PPTP and Open VPN protocols they offer aren't any different from those available from many other providers (many of whom offer L2TP as well). There are websites available which try to competitively rank the better-known/larger VPN providers. One is vpnreviewz.com. Another is vpnstars.com. There are others. Not sure iwasel has made it onto many radars yet, but I expect it'll be on NSA's radar, if it's not already...

Just to comment on VoIP being blocked by Truemove H, I've been using FaceTime over Truemove H for extended period with no problem whatsoever. Perhaps they are just blocking Skype for certain users/certain areas?

Also, no issues using OpenVPN via a tethered Truemove H connection.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Doesn't at all surprise me that a mobile internet provider would ban voip as this cuts into their business. However, banning the use of a vpn is quite lame.

I use true cable net and have no problems using a vpn or voip. I hope that doesn't change.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Something has changed. I'll probably start a new thread on this shortly.

The following is specific to 3BB and CAT home internet services:

I had been using BoxPN since Dec 2012, but in January I started having problems with it as it would no longer disguise my IP. PPTP stopped working and SSTP would work for a short time and then change back to my home IP again. No tech support rep could help me and we tried everything. I cancelled the service...

... this month I've tried 2 big players in the VPN business:

1. Private Internet Access

2. IpVanish

I bought subscriptions for both to test them out. Neither work with OpenVPN, PPTP or L2TP... using automatic and manual configurations and servers around the world. As with BoxPN I went through lengthy tech support and we tried absolutely everything - changing ports, the works. I cannot stay connected to a VPN for more than a few seconds... meaning my IP address defaults back to my home IP. I can still use the internet, but it bypasses the VPN. It's exactly the same problem with CAT and 3BB premium services... and same on multiple computers.

I'm sure a lot of people think they're using VPN, but they're unaware that their IP address is still their home address. Anyone who uses a VPN, check your IP address and refresh a few times. It caused a bit of a problem for me when I thought I was private when I was not. The thing is, your VPN program, or Windows will show you're connected to whatever VPN server you chose, but your home IP is showing.

What surprises me is that the tech support teams from these 3 VPN service providers gave up and I got a refund. You'd think they would have been more interested in trying to get the service to work. If it is so easy for ISP's to circumvent VPN servers, the business is going to die as more countries follow suit.

I'm writing this in the hope that some IT genius will be able to help me out.

FWIW, I use VPNs regularly with my True cable home internet, and never have had any problems connecting, right up thru today.

I've also connected lately via AIS 3G mobile data, and likewise had no problems.

I'd know if the VPN IP wasn't really being used, because the resources I'm accessing wouldn't let me in if, I was showing a Thai IP address or my connection at some point reverted to one.

• 9 months later...