Army notifies Bangkok of impending tank maneuver

webfact

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have notified or told? no regard for the the damage they may cause to the roads of course...coffee1.gif

As if the roads aren't already in poor condition. 30 ton tanks will do wonders on them!

Surely they are using tank carriers. If not, then you know it's not just for "routine work."

I rarely travel, but needed to see a dentist yesterday. There are "regular" police check-points, and then yesterday a brand new one. Everyone had to show ID (often happens at such check-points) but then, additionally, the personal luggage was opened and searched.
Now this article makes me wonder if this was just a coincidence. ermm.gif

• Like 1

It was reported on facebook last week that APC;s were on the move towards BKK.

This must be bad timeing if nothing else.

Surely they must have known what was going on with politics and could have scheduled their movements for a better time.

Lets hope it is 'nothing else' this country doesn't need more blood on the streets.

Reported on FaceBook? They are not a news organization. You mean your Uncle Bob in Iowa sent you a note?

the last line of the front page BkkPost article says "A military source said army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha has put over 30 companies on standby in case police seek help in handling protesters.

(Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://bangkokpost.com/news/politics/362785/pm-invites-all-sides-to-talk-reform. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.) thank you credit where due.

Never read the lines directly, read between them.

But Prayuth is said to be a supporter of the Yingluck government.

For whatever reason. But if there is a coup it doesn't be necessary that he does it. Any other military can arrest him and make a coup if strong enough.

Edited by h90

Up until the king became ill, he made at least one visit per year to beautiful Hua Hin. As we know, HM has been on the mend and has been eager to return to an annual tradition that carries significant social tradition. His annual visit is considered a sign of good luck for the locals. The visit should be seen as good news and nothing more than that. I don't know if anyone has taken the time to visit the magnificent teak palace of Rama VI, but it is an impressive teak structure and a highlight of any visit. The presence of HM helps to preserve several culturally important structures.

In respect to the movement of the tanks, it happens every year. Tanks and their crews need to practice and it is quiet in the month of August. They will be transported on trailers and not drive through the streets. The treads of a tank wear out quickly when used on hard surfaces. Nor are they fuel efficient. Kings Guards are not the preferred units for coup d'état deployments. The Queen Guards units are used, and there has been a long tradition of those units being the key personnel when there is a coup.

There is absolutely no reason with which to mount a coup. Despite all the talk of protests, amnesty and government blunders, Thailand is still relatively stable, with a strong economy. People may be unhappy with some government policies, but there is no support for a coup even amongst the Democrats. They know the problems it would bring. The military justifies a coup on the basis of a threat to the monarchy and to date the PTP has been very careful on the issue.

Relatively stable in comparison with where?

Syria!

• Like 2

There is noting unusual about anti-government demonstrations or speeches in Thailand. The military movements could be said to coincide with just about anything whenever they occurred.

I believe, and certainly hope, the move to Hua Hin simply suggests that Their Majesties are in good health now.

A military coup in Thailand just now would be a disaster for this country and totally pointless. What would happen, another election? We already know what the outcome would be. The good people of Isaan would drag every bed-ridden octogenarian rice farmer with a breath left In their body to the polling station if it meant preventing the Democrats from being elected.

Edited by Thormaturge

This is a clear message to the government (at a vulnerable time), by the powers that they are in control and quite capabile taking control at any moment. The government must conceed to their wishes. You can see by the timing, the play here. It could not come at a much more obvious time for the government. The media, the papers and a clear demonstration "threat" by ther army. Who is in control of Thailand, not the govenrment thats for sure. The government is only an elected representation of the people..... what has that got to do with control. The ARMY, controled media, those that own and run the ARMY run Thailand. Always have, always will, 8 military cou's...... who do you think controls Thailand? Who ever controls the Army and that is NOT the government.

“All Political Power Comes From The Barrel Of The Gun” 
- Mao Tse Tung, Nov 6, 1938

“This is not a preparation for a coup d’état”, she said.

As anti-government protests were set to take place in Bangkok and fears about possible unrest returned to the capital city, many are whispering that the military might take advantage of the situation and put an end to the elected government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, similar to what happened to her brother Mr. Thaksin Shinawatra in September 2006.

If a coup was to occur, we would know whether Abhisit is a man of his word. He said that the only way he would serve as PM is if the Dems won an election. I don't believe they will with him as leader. He may be the best man they have, but even disaffected reds will never vote for him. If the Dems want to take advantage of the mess PTP have made he should step aside.

I am not in favour of a coup, but it looks like one might happen. I don't know how many of you read the Wikileaks document which purported to be a record of the conversation between the the U.S. ambassador to Thailand and Thaksin Shiniwatra. Thaksin is quoted as saying that he knew he could not return to Thailand while the King is still alive. So, is all this nonsense just a test balloon? LONG LIVE THE KING.

There is noting unusual about anti-government demonstrations or speeches in Thailand. The military movements could be said to coincide with just about anything whenever they occurred.

I believe, and certainly hope, the move to Hua Hin simply suggests that Their Majesties are in good health now.

A military coup in Thailand just now would be a disaster for this country and totally pointless. What would happen, another election? We already know what the outcome would be. The good people of Isaan would drag every bed-ridden octogenarian rice farmer with a breath left In their body to the polling station if it meant preventing the Democrats from being elected.

A coup, if done like last time would be pointless, as Thaksin would win with enough vote buying again and than we are again where we are now.

But disaster? The last coup neither helped nor damaged. 95 % of the people don't care. 5 % cheer or complain but nothing really happened...

I rarely travel, but needed to see a dentist yesterday. There are "regular" police check-points, and then yesterday a brand new one. Everyone had to show ID (often happens at such check-points) but then, additionally, the personal luggage was opened and searched.

Makes me wonder where they were and what they were looking for in 2010 when the truckloads of tires and home made grenades were rolling in to Bangkok.

As anti-government protests were set to take place in Bangkok and fears about possible unrest returned to the capital city, many are whispering that the military might take advantage of the situation and put an end to the elected government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, similar to what happened to her brother Mr. Thaksin Shinawatra in September 2006.

If a coup was to occur, we would know whether Abhisit is a man of his word. He said that the only way he would serve as PM is if the Dems won an election. I don't believe they will with him as leader. He may be the best man they have, but even disaffected reds will never vote for him. If the Dems want to take advantage of the mess PTP have made he should step aside.

I am not in favour of a coup, but it looks like one might happen. I don't know how many of you read the Wikileaks document which purported to be a record of the conversation between the the U.S. ambassador to Thailand and Thaksin Shiniwatra. Thaksin is quoted as saying that he knew he could not return to Thailand while the King is still alive. So, is all this nonsense just a test balloon? LONG LIVE THE KING.

Abhisit showed already that he isn't good enough for difficult times. I doubt anyone want to put him in power after a coup.

Chuan is too old

Samak is dead

Chavalit as compromise premier??

Makes me wonder where they were and what they were looking for in 2010 when the truckloads of tires and home made grenades were rolling in to Bangkok.

helping loading the tires on the truck?

• Like 2

Abhisit showed already that he isn't good enough for difficult times. I doubt anyone want to put him in power after a coup.

Chuan is too old

Samak is dead

After all Chavalit had his own peoples army in 2010, though that time for the other side.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Chavalit-denies-he-will-head-%27people%27s-a-30121836.html

This kind of thing is that's going on all over the world now especially in the US as the police become more and more militarized preparing for global unrest. This a good excuse to get the public "used to " these kind of searches.

• Like 1

Chuan is too old

Samak is dead

After all Chavalit had his own peoples army in 2010, though that time for the other side.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Chavalit-denies-he-will-head-%27people%27s-a-30121836.html

he would be a good compromise, as everyone equally don't like him. And his performance is in line with the usual Thai politician. (1997 crises).

(Am I cynical or realistic?)

“This is not a preparation for a coup d’état”, she said....

The armour is on manouvers...yep...that's right...on manouvers.

There is no need to fear...not even if you see the armour rolling

along Sukhumvit and Silom...or in position in front of Parliament.

It's just "manouvers"...or so Chalerm told me...

ohhh come on guys we know this has been organised by big friends of Wirapol Sukphol the fugitive monk to take the media off him and the oil leak at koh samet as well havent you noticed he not been on tv for all this week whistling.gif giggle.gif

ohhh come on guys we know this has been organised by big friends of Wirapol Sukphol the fugitive monk to take the media off him and the oil leak at koh samet as well havent you noticed he not been on tv for all this week whistling.gif giggle.gif

Good one C1...Good one....clap2.gif

“This is not a preparation for a coup d’état”, she said....

The armour is on manouvers...yep...that's right...on manouvers.

There is no need to fear...not even if you see the armour rolling

along Sukhumvit and Silom...or in position in front of Parliament.

It's just "manouvers"...or so Chalerm told me...

But I saw many times tanks been carried around for manouvers without coups....So it isn't that special to see tanks.

• Like 1

Because concrete and tar roads love army tanks driven on them. (Oh and btw if you don't like my length of input on this forum then you know what can go do mate.)

I think they will be transported on trucks. Drive the tanks but also a lot of wear on the chains, so I don't think the drive them across the country.

And I don't know why you would need tanks for a coup.