Ex-monk 'ready to fight allegations in US'

Lite Beer

Ex-monk 'ready to fight allegations in US'
The Sunday Nation August 4, 2013 1:00 am

BANGKOK: -- A monk, who was close to the scandal-hit former-monk Wirapol Sukphol, told Department of Special Investigation (DSI) officers yesterday that Wirapol, formerly known as Luang Pu Nenkham, was in the US still wearing his robes, and ready to fight cases against him in that country.

Phra Thakrit Kanthadhammo, who was Wirapol's spokesman, said the ex-monk wanted to return to Thailand, but since his passport had been revoked and the DSI had issued a warrant for his arrest, he would fight the allegations in the US. According to Phra Thakrit, Wirapol will ask a US court to rule on whether the DSI's arrest warrant is lawful, as the statuary rape charge was already more than 10 years old.

Phra Thakrit also insisted that Wirapol hadn't spent Bt10 million a day and didn't have over Bt40 million in bank accounts as accused. He said the allegations most likely stemmed from a misunderstanding about Wirapol's preaching to raise funds for the construction of a Roi Et hospital, which yielded Bt40 million in donations. All money went to the hospital's account, he said.

Thakrit said he didn't know about luxury car purchases by Wirapol, because he was only with the ex-monk for a year. He said the ex-monk had no private jet and the Louis Vuitton bag spotted on a video clip of the ex-monk's alleged jet-setting lifestyle only cost Bt200-300.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-04

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that he can fight extradition, but at this point, he is fleeing prosecution, not persecution.

Unless there is a lot being unsaid about his situation, I don't think he has a good case for asylum. It could, however, be a slow process of getting him sent back.

Hopefully some of our legal eagles will drop by and provide some insight into the legalities of his situation.

• Like 2

Sargent Schultz from Hogan's Hero's said it best: I see nothing.... I know nothing..

Have just read an article on this and as a someone who is close to the fugitive and his spokesman it's amazing just how little he knows and it's all a plot !

• Like 1

I believe that he can fight extradition, but at this point, he is fleeing prosecution, not persecution.

Unless there is a lot being unsaid about his situation, I don't think he has a good case for asylum. It could, however, be a slow process of getting him sent back.

Hopefully some of our legal eagles will drop by and provide some insight into the legalities of his situation.

Lots of good points and I'm certainly confused as to what's actually happening. For starters, his passport may have been revoked but has a request for extradition been presented to the US ?

I heard on television some years back that in the US lawyers specalising in immigration cases get more work than any others and with the money he's supposed to have stashed he can afford the best.

" According to Phra Thakrit, Wirapol will ask a US court to rule on whether the DSI's arrest warrant is lawful, as the statuary rape charge was already more than 10 years old."

That's his defence! This guy is dumber than a sack of rocks if he thinks that defence is going to fly.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

Strange thing about this idiot is most people do all they can to avoid facing charges in the USA, while he is desperate to avoid facing them here. Not sure if that means he knows he is guilty or doesn't trust the legal system here. Or both.

Some of the laws he is alleged to have broken were prompted because of his religious status. If he were not a monk, would he have attracted much attention?

At this point, there is no evidence to concretely support that he has fathered a child, unless they have gotten DNA from his parents.

I am not trying to defend him, but his lawyers do have some fodder to feed the courts.

" According to Phra Thakrit, Wirapol will ask a US court to rule on whether the DSI's arrest warrant is lawful, as the statuary rape charge was already more than 10 years old."

That's his defence! This guy is dumber than a sack of rocks if he thinks that defence is going to fly.

The law, especially cross borders, can be a minefield and perhaps I'm being simplistic but if the warrant is lawful in Thailand why would a US court rule against it ? I suppose he could dance around some human rights plea but it doesn't seem applicable.

I can't get it out of my head that DSI et al aren't exactly in high gear over this.

• Like 1

He only knew him for a short time but knows none of it is true.

Um, lol. Is he able to enlighten us on whose jet it is then? And as to why he'd be concerned at all about the rape charges if, as we've heard previously, they're not true?

He promised to come back & fight the charges, not that I ever thought he would, then his passport was revoked so he could not go anywhere. The usual comedy of errors or a cunning plan to protect someone higher up who was involved & reaping some of the ill gotten gains.

• Like 1

The US has a great number of procedures in place to control entry. However, once a foreigner is physically in the US there are numerous options for remaining there. Access to and exercise of these options increase proportionally with the amount of money someone has to spend. And the 'wandering ex-monk' apparently has a number of robust bank accounts. If he chooses to, he can engage an impressive (as in expensive) legal team and dig in for the long haul. High dollar lawyers can twist things into amazingly complicated balls of string that can take forever to untangle. Time could work in his favor.

Edited by marell
  • Like 1

The US was going after Roman Polanski for statutory rape long after 10 years. Presumably , the monk entered the USA on a tourist visa. Since his passport has been revoked he can be either an illegal alien in the USA or a political refugee. In his case establishing that he is a political refugee would be difficult.

Does passport revocation in your homeland alter the fact that your U.S. visa was issued legally?

Of course, renewing or extending the visa would be an issue, although the USA, under the current administration in its constant quest for voters, is lenient in spades toward illegal aliens and he is one step better since he did not enter the country illegally.

If necessary, he may find asylum inside a temple or church while arguing his case.