Overstay for 6 months, Please Help if possible

I got sick and was in the hospital first of the year.. The main reason I didn't go on the trip to Loas was because I spent almost all of my savings on hospital bills and the weeks have just went by so quickly along with not knowing how to solve my problems, now I am ready to get my stamp before I would get caught and end up in more trouble.. I heard there is a place in Jomtien that is doing overstay through the back door, and I can pay the 20,000 baht + 15,000 baht and get 90 days.. Is this true? Anyone know the place?

I got sick and was in the hospital first of the year.. The main reason I didn't go on the trip to Loas was because I spent almost all of my savings on hospital bills and the weeks have just went by so quickly along with not knowing how to solve my problems, now I am ready to get my stamp before I would get caught and end up in more trouble.. I heard there is a place in Jomtien that is doing overstay through the back door, and I can pay the 20,000 baht + 15,000 baht and get 90 days.. Is this true? Anyone know the place?

No big deal just pay the overstay at the border, nothing to do via 'backdoors'. You can eventually inform the officer about the reason if you feel te need to.

We cannot discuss illegal activities here but you can leave through the airport and pay your 20,000 Baht fine.

You will then be able to return with or without a Visa.

Oh ok.. What about if my Thai girlfriend were to drive me to the border? Say Cambodia or Loas?

No big deal just pay the overstay at the border, nothing to do via 'backdoors'. You can eventually inform the officer about the reason if you feel te need to.

Thanks for your reply.. Do I must do this at the airport?

It is always safer at airport as any police check could result in arrest, however unlikely it may be, and getting to border would normally be a bit more likely to encounter a police check. If doing that way a trip to Laos and staying overnight to obtain a tourist visa for new entry would seem the best choice. They might even allow a two entry if you plan to stay longer. Once paid the overstay should not be a real issue anymore.

It is always safer at airport as any police check could result in arrest, however unlikely it may be, and getting to border would normally be a bit more likely to encounter a police check. If doing that way a trip to Laos and staying overnight to obtain a tourist visa for new entry would seem the best choice. They might even allow a two entry if you plan to stay longer. Once paid the overstay should not be a real issue anymore.Ok

Ok.. So if I want to stay longer, the best option would be to go to airport, pay the overstay fee, buy ticket to fly to Loas, stay there overnight, pay for new tourist visa, and hopefully return with all things legal and in the clear?

It is a lot more expensive to fly to Vientiane than to Udon and do not believe trip from there to bridge at Nong Khai would be much danger as major travel route - or if your GF drove you there or Savannakhet - she could leave car in controlled parking area and cross with you.

• Like 1

It is a lot more expensive to fly to Vientiane than to Udon and do not believe trip from there to bridge at Nong Khai would be much danger as major travel route - or if your GF drove you there or Savannakhet - she could leave car in controlled parking area and cross with you.

Ok and when in Loas or Udon, what or where do I look to go for obtaining new visa? Just go to immigration office or do I need Thai Consulate?

Edited by 3bj

You go to the Thai Consulate in morning and obtain next workday afternoon. Cost is 1,000 baht each entry. You will also have to pay for visa into Laos at entry point. In Vientiane Consulate is not same location as Embassy but everyone knows where it is so unless you insist on going to Embassy should be fine. In Savannakhet it is only a Consulate.

You go to the Thai Consulate in morning and obtain next workday afternoon. Cost is 1,000 baht each entry. You will also have to pay for visa into Laos at entry point. In Vientiane Consulate is not same location as Embassy but everyone knows where it is so unless you insist on going to Embassy should be fine. In Savannakhet it is only a Consulate.

Ok.. Thanks everyone! This was so helpful, I will come back if I have any other questions, cheers!

We cannot discuss illegal activities here but you can leave through the airport and pay your 20,000 Baht fine.

Oh ok.. What about if my Thai girlfriend were to drive me to the border? Say Cambodia or Loas?
you have my sympathy if your story is true.but why didnt your gf.inform immigration of your illness?also show them the hospital bill it might help your pocket.

There is no way out of fine at this point - only if application for extension for medical reasons had been made prior to overstay and suspect the issue was more bills than not being able to travel but now he has the funds to make stay legal and plans to do so.

The OP is on six months overstay. At what point does it become impossible to simply pay and go to a neighboring country to get a visa -- overstay of one year, two years, five years?

The reason I ask is that I know someone with a six year overstay and a couple of legit visa agents have said the only way he could pay a fine at the airport and leave is if he had a ticket back to his home country.

Thanks for your reply.. Do I must do this at the airport?

Sure you can do it at the airport, just take plenty of time for the payment procedure and don't appear to be in a hurry, they really hate that. Immigration officers are also people, never had any problem with them and I had lot's of overstays.

The OP is on six months overstay. At what point does it become impossible to simply pay and go to a neighboring country to get a visa -- overstay of one year, two years, five years?

The reason I ask is that I know someone with a six year overstay and a couple of legit visa agents have said the only way he could pay a fine at the airport and leave is if he had a ticket back to his home country.

There is no rule - the only time ticket to home country would normally be required would be after an arrest and deportation process - when overstay fee is paid to immigration there is not normally a problem if no adverse (arrest warrants or such) is known to be pending. There are times of strict enforcement for short periods but they never seem to last long.

If you go via nthe bridge @ Nongkai IGNORE any service offices that offer 'visa service' they are a hoax. At the border it does not save you any time as you have to wait for the Lao visa anyway. Don't forget af few photos, a pen also you can download the visa form and fill it in from home, saves another 20 minutes queing.

The best way might be book a Nok Air Bangkok > Vientiane ticket, very cheap it's actually a flight Bkk > Udon including a minivan to the border and a in Laos minivan to Vientiane. If you take the first flight at 6:00 am there is almost no que at the border. In Vientiane the officially drop you off at their office, but you can ask them to bring you to your hotel instead, you better give them a 100b tip or so then, as salaries in Laos are very low.

Around the boulevard there are plenty of hotels and guesthouses, no need to book and great international cafés and restaurants, me always stayed the for at least 5 or 10 days. Laotians are very kind, honest and motivated people, not to compare with Thais, it's a pity to stay only for one night but that's personal taste ofcourse.

Usually it does not matter how many years, I once accompanied an elderly person with 3 years overstay. The only important rule is take enough time for the procedure and wear decent clothes. Personally I would advice to first go to the nearest immigration office and explain the situation, pay the fine and ask for a 7 day extension then go abroad to apply for the new visum.

you have my sympathy if your story is true.but why didnt your gf.inform immigration of your illness?also show them the hospital bill it might help your pocket.

True story.. She was not my gf until after I got out of hospital..

I am reasonably sure at Jomtiem immigration there is a "overstay" desk that you can go in and pay for overstay and get current without leaving the country.

not if you owe the maximum amount

OP should go to the airport, they deal with multiple long overstayers every day

if you go to the border it might just be the day the guards car payment is due and you are the only foreigner that month with 20,000 in his pocket

you might be arrested, the money disappeared and maybe you with it if you scream too much...

buy the ticket first. They will not let you process immigration and pay the fine without a ticket.

Ok good tip! Does it matter if I buy roundtrip or oneway?

I would stay with a One way Ticket. wink.png

I would be fear the driving around in Thailand without a proper Visa, also only from Udon Thani to Nong Khai !blink.png

Other possibilities

At least flights cheaper to Phnom Penh with Air Asia than to Vientiane and a Visa service does the work for you in Phnom Penh, not even signing of the Visa application necessary, rolleyes.gif

With or without GF tongue.png, possible.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/647029-tourist-visa-in-phnom-penh-easy-done/

I had a longer overstay than you, and I just went to the Nong Khai border, and paid the 20,000 baht. Managed to get to the Thai embassy that morning, next afternoon I was in possession of a new double entry VISA, and was back in Thailand. I took a taxi to the Nong Khai border though, as I was too scared to take a bus, train, or plane.