Your monthly expense for 1 person(yourself) in CM?

eden8

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are living in CM to simply survive, I think you can do the following:

rent: 4000 plus 300 for electricity, etc..

food: 300 to 400 a day

bike: 50 baht a day or cheaper

alcohol: none, or one a week at 40 baht

internet: 300 a month if you must

added options:

1 massage a week: 800 per month

more alcohol: 40 baht per day, or 1200 per month

girlfriend: maybe another 4000 a month, likely more

one visa weekend to laos: 6000 baht

The visa run is optional, because you could just overstay? wink.png

I'm interested in the 4000 baht a month girlfriend though. That seems like a worthwhile add-on, perhaps even essential because people would want to be able to claim they're living like a Lanna King, to everyone silly enough to listen. :P

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This is exactly what she is talking about. A local teacher now in hospital with huge hospital bills....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/658850-nic-brown-nicky-bullets-fundraising-event/

I've had much experience in seeing hospital bills for accidents -- most at the government (i.e. low cost) hospital, Suan Dok. Those that involve at least one of the three things I mentioned (ICU, orthopedic surgery or newfangled IV antibiotics), ran from a low of 50,000 for a rather simple leg fracture to 3 million baht. Most were in the range of 80,000 - 150,000 baht. Strokes are in that range, too, assuming you get to the hospital pronto. If you wait more than 4 hours, then you can end up in ICU for weeks for another 3 - 4 million baht.

Add another 40-90% for treatment in a private hospital, like CM Ram, Rajavej, Sripat, McCormick, Lanna, etc.

The number I mentioned as recommended cash on hand (50,000-100,00 baht) isn't for the entire treatment, but just the deposit the hospital will request before they do more than simply stabilize you. And it's not comfortable being "stabilized" with a fracture while you try to scrape up the money for the deposit before they'll do the surgery to set your broken bone.

5000 baht per month for room in Thai hotel. About 300 baht per day for food and another 400 baht per day for entertainment. I ride a lot around northern Thailand on my motorbike and stay in 400 to 500 baht a night accommodation. That is on top of my monthly hotel payment. I spend less in Thailand for the 6 months I'm here than I do back in Canada where I own a small home. I drink very little alcohol and I'm happy eating Thai food. Because I'm female I don't spend money on hookers.

• Like 1

Basically, I spend 360 per night for a/c hotel room with hw, cable, and daily maid service. I pull 1000 THB out of Aeon every two days. I am perfectly happy eating good Thai food. A great lunch runs me 35 THB, with a free daily beauty pageant, over by Chiangmai Commercial College. One of the most famous noodle shops in CNX is across from my hotel, and that runs 35 and includes a pitcher of great thai tea. Red taxis, three or four times per week, tuk-tuks almost never. No cigs, and only drinking at John's or Dayli or any other place that has a promotion. Spicy once a week, but not more than a few beers. MCD maybe once a week, and I do my own coin laundry, and dry it on hangers. My medical coverage runs about 75 per month. I haven't paid a bar fine in 7 years.......there is some great value in the older women, but they are still younger than me. Internet is free at my hotel. So a little less than 30,000 per month, and I'm very content. If I bought a condo for cash; I would be fine on 22K per month. Airline tickets and Western food, can make it go up quick. If I were a short term tourist, here for one month, I would probably spend more like 50K, staying in a nicer hotel, and just being a little looser with my money. I'm an active stock trader, and I've been saving since I was 7. It's all about sustainability.

• Like 1

Which name of the new condo near Sri-Lanna hotel?

Oh dear, we've done this topic many times before. One of the great things about Chiang Mai is that you can have a nice lifestyle and fun with a monthly budget as low as 10,000 baht/month and up. The general consensus was that a single guy with somewhat of a social life would need 30,000-40,000 baht. Someone out in the bars every day, entertaining the ladies, eating western food for every meal is going to need much more. Up to you!

It's really a matter of budget, attitude and lifestyle choices.

I'd caution anyone trying to live in Thailand on a limited budget to be sure to have ready access to at least 50,000-100,000 baht for a medical emergency and to get health insurance (or a savings account of 500,000) if you plan to live here longer term.

I took some foreigner friends out to a Thai bar last Friday.
Leo/ChangC/ChangX were all 140bht for three large bottles inc a bucket of ice.
6 beers and 2 plates of food cost us 450bht, served by university girls and live music ..... 150bht for an evening out!
If you went out every night, that would be 4,500bht per month.

CM is not about drinking expensive drinks in foreigner bars served by ageing hookers, don't be scared to use Thai bars.

As for room costs, 6,000bht/month gets you a two room apartment, 2 air-con with separate kitchen in a new condo block out near the Sri-Lanna hotel.

. Because I'm female I don't spend money on hookers.

Most sexist thing I've heard since 'my Asian girl."

Why, it's the truth? Lots of men come to Thailand expressly for the women. I see nothing wrong with it, but it does add to the cost if a man wants to indulge. Women don't usually have to pay for it. Unless I am mistaken, the topic was about expenses in Thailand. Like Winnie pointed out, It is possible to live very cheap like a monk, but what red blooded male would want to?

• Like 2

This is exactly what she is talking about. A local teacher now in hospital with huge hospital bills....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/658850-nic-brown-nicky-bullets-fundraising-event/

I've had much experience in seeing hospital bills for accidents -- most at the government (i.e. low cost) hospital, Suan Dok. Those that involve at least one of the three things I mentioned (ICU, orthopedic surgery or newfangled IV antibiotics), ran from a low of 50,000 for a rather simple leg fracture to 3 million baht. Most were in the range of 80,000 - 150,000 baht. Strokes are in that range, too, assuming you get to the hospital pronto. If you wait more than 4 hours, then you can end up in ICU for weeks for another 3 - 4 million baht.

Add another 40-90% for treatment in a private hospital, like CM Ram, Rajavej, Sripat, McCormick, Lanna, etc.

The number I mentioned as recommended cash on hand (50,000-100,00 baht) isn't for the entire treatment, but just the deposit the hospital will request before they do more than simply stabilize you. And it's not comfortable being "stabilized" with a fracture while you try to scrape up the money for the deposit before they'll do the surgery to set your broken bone.

Yes, very true and is always a concern for me living in Thailand.

My wife and I can live comfortably on 25000 baht per month, sometimes less, but of course this is all fine while everything is running smoothly, it is when something unexpected happens that can throw a spanner into the works.

In that case I admit, I am also living on a hope and a prayer that I won`t be involved in a serious accident, become a victim of a serious crime or become seriously ill and guess that I am like so many others on here, who does not have a plan B if the worst does happen.

Not trying to live cheap, I just do.

I have a room in a townhouse, which I live alone and have access to the whole place, so full kitchen etc.

Rent, electricity, water, internet - 3000B In a very trendy area.

Fuel - at least 2000B

Food - 6000B a week or so? Awesome food at work

Savings 15,000 - 20,000 a month

And then I usually fly down to BKK once a month or so

I was studying written Thai for about 4600/20hrs

I have random expenses, maybe 5000B for a paint job or 3000 for parts. but on average I have about 10,000B in mandatory expenses, 15-20k in optional expenses and then anywhere from 5,000-15,000B

Anything extra is saved.

Male 30's, girlfriend lives in BKK, thus the flights as we visit each other every 2weeks and share the cost.

As stated, you can live on a non native teacher salary or spend 200,000B a month. Everyone is going to be different.

Because I'm female I don't spend money on hookers.

Most sexist thing I've heard since 'my Asian girl."

Why, it's the truth? Lots of men come to Thailand expressly for the women. I see nothing wrong with it, but it does add to the cost if a man wants to indulge. Women don't usually have to pay for it. Unless I am mistaken, the topic was about expenses in Thailand. Like Winnie pointed out, It is possible to live very cheap like a monk, but what red blooded male would want to?

Women get Thai boyfriends who tend to be just as expensive as the girlfriends are. (Yes, with exceptions, but that applies to foreign men's relationships too. I married a rocket surgeon myself.)

And you spend more on a boyfriend/girlfriend, of course.

I have a room in a townhouse, which I live alone and have access to the whole place, so full kitchen etc.

Fuel - at least 2000B

I have random expenses, maybe 5000B for a paint job or 3000 for parts. but on average I have about 10,000B in mandatory expenses, 15-20k in optional expenses and then anywhere from 5,000-15,000B

Anything extra is saved.

Male 30's, girlfriend lives in BKK, thus the flights as we visit each other every 2weeks and share the cost.

As stated, you can live on a non native teacher salary or spend 200,000B a month. Everyone is going to be different.

6000b per week for food is interesting amount for 1 person

:)

Fuel - at least 2000B

Anything extra is saved.

6000b per week for food is interesting amount for 1 person

smile.png

Hahahaha I meant month.

Which name of the new condo near Sri-Lanna hotel?

Oh dear, we've done this topic many times before. One of the great things about Chiang Mai is that you can have a nice lifestyle and fun with a monthly budget as low as 10,000 baht/month and up. The general consensus was that a single guy with somewhat of a social life would need 30,000-40,000 baht. Someone out in the bars every day, entertaining the ladies, eating western food for every meal is going to need much more. Up to you!

It's really a matter of budget, attitude and lifestyle choices.

I'd caution anyone trying to live in Thailand on a limited budget to be sure to have ready access to at least 50,000-100,000 baht for a medical emergency and to get health insurance (or a savings account of 500,000) if you plan to live here longer term.

I took some foreigner friends out to a Thai bar last Friday.

Leo/ChangC/ChangX were all 140bht for three large bottles inc a bucket of ice.

6 beers and 2 plates of food cost us 450bht, served by university girls and live music ..... 150bht for an evening out!

If you went out every night, that would be 4,500bht per month.

CM is not about drinking expensive drinks in foreigner bars served by ageing hookers, don't be scared to use Thai bars.

As for room costs, 6,000bht/month gets you a two room apartment, 2 air-con with separate kitchen in a new condo block out near the Sri-Lanna hotel.

I'd also like to know the name of the condo near the Sirilanna Hotel for 6000 baht a month...

Just day to day life for a year in CM, we spend on average 30k - 40k Thai baht per month between the two of us, and we're very comfortable.

Non-smokers / non-drinkers, so we don't waste money there, which can add up very quickly. She's early 30s, I'm 40. We mix our food with home cooked meals with bought goods from the markets (not price inflated supermarkets), and farang food that we eat out around the city.

Whatever you think you're going to budget, add a little more. There are always unforeseen expenses.

28 yr old mate just had serious issues with his knee. Unable to work and almost immobile for 3 months. Private hospital cost was about 150k. He had Bupa insurance (the basic 12k p/a one) which covered most of it. Without that, and a good GF to give him food, shelter and TLC he would have been buggered.

Info please. I intend retiring in CM early next year. I don't think budget will be an issue. My income will be 70,000 baht per month with substantial investment in Aussie fund. My concern is health insurance. I'm 64, turn 65 in late October. I've been with BUPA Australia for an eternity. One broker I've contacted intimated about 153,000 baht per year premium for one provider, not BUPA. I'm in top table with my current BUPA plan but don't pay anywhere neat this amount. Is the 153,000 mentioned a realistic amount over there ? I know health insurance is expensive for expats but that sounds super expensive to me. Am thinking of putting a substantial sum in a separate bank account for medicals, maybe 200,000 baht or so, & just forget it until needed. What do some of you guys do for insurance ? Would really appreciate any comments on this. BTW, I'll be in CM for a couple of weeks later this month. I could join a fund prior to my 65 birthday if that would assist my plight.

Thanks to all in anticipation of your informative replies.

Malt.

Single room apartment 30sq mtrs ................5500 baht + 2000 baht electricity (air con)

Thai food 3 meals a day -.............................150 baht day

Farang food 3 meals a day - ........................450 baht day .....600 baht per day (if your the type that can only eat chicken breast and are picky)

Transport scooter rental -..............................2000 baht month

Fuel-..............................................................1000 baht month

Internet - .......................................................1000 baht month

Cell Phone -..................................................300 baht month

Alcohol-.........................................................1000 baht month (light drinker) 4000 baht (drink to get drunk)

Thai food @ 150/day? Not going to get you much, since a bowl of noodle and a O-liang is 60-70baht already.

Same as for Farang food 450/day = 150/meal. Not going to get you much at all. But is it POSSIBLE? YES

1000 baht on fuel for scooter, WOW that's a lot of riding. but still not an impossible figure.

It's kinda scary looking at the figures, since it doesn't include extra - clothing, reading materials, music, etc.

Now imaging working at minimum wage 300/day (before deductibles), and having to pay of debts.

so it'll be 9000/month.

Apartment (rat hole) - 2,000/mth

food 150/day (I'm keeping your figure) = 4,500/mth

Fuel 750/mth (can be as low as 500 for some people)

cell/internet package 699/mth (can't do with out social media/ smart phones)

TRUE TV 299

Debt payment XXXX

That's only the minimum. Not including, tobacco, alcohol, shoppings (essential need items), laundry, etc

blink.png

Thai food @ 150/day? Not going to get you much, since a bowl of noodle and a O-liang is 60-70baht already.

Same as for Farang food 450/day = 150/meal. Not going to get you much at all. But is it POSSIBLE? YES

1000 baht on fuel for scooter, WOW that's a lot of riding. but still not an impossible figure.

It's kinda scary looking at the figures, since it doesn't include extra - clothing, reading materials, music, etc.

I doubt I spent 150bht a day on food each day.

Breakfast today, 65bht for a Latte at the Organic coffee bus.

Lunch today, 15bht for a toasted bacon sandwich on whole-wheat, made at home.

Dinner tonight, 25bht two pig liver skewers (dap moo ping) and sticky rice (cow nee-ow) from the local corner shop.

total 105bht and most of that was for a luxury coffee that I didn't really need.

(Best way to save money is on drinks, drink free water when eating out, make tea and coffee at home)

As for clothing,

Jeans from the local market for less then 300bht, two pairs will last more than 1 year.

T-shirts, 50bht each from the local market, I might pay 200bht for a death metal print.

Movies, music and reading material, free, I have internet and a tablet.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Single room apartment 30sq mtrs ................5500 baht + 2000 baht electricity (air con)

Thai food 3 meals a day -.............................150 baht day

Farang food 3 meals a day - ........................450 baht day .....600 baht per day (if your the type that can only eat chicken breast and are picky)

Transport scooter rental -..............................2000 baht month

Fuel-..............................................................1000 baht month

Internet - .......................................................1000 baht month

Cell Phone -..................................................300 baht month

Alcohol-.........................................................1000 baht month (light drinker) 4000 baht (drink to get drunk)

Now imaging working at minimum wage 300/day (before deductibles), and having to pay of debts.

so it'll be 9000/month.

Apartment (rat hole) - 2,000/mth

food 150/day (I'm keeping your figure) = 4,500/mth

Fuel 750/mth (can be as low as 500 for some people)

cell/internet package 699/mth (can't do with out social media/ smart phones)

TRUE TV 299

Debt payment XXXX

That's only the minimum. Not including, tobacco, alcohol, shoppings (essential need items), laundry, etc

blink.png

The only time I ever have to spend more is when Im with my chicken breast eating friend.

He's a pain in my wallets ass.

You get more food when you eat close to where there are students, never eat in tourist areas. You will get literally 3 times as much eating where there are many students.

• Like 1

The only time I ever have to spend more is when Im with my chicken breast eating friend.

You get more food when you eat close to where there are students, never eat in tourist areas. You will get literally 3 times as much eating where there are many students.

That's true.. best value is actually inside universities, such as the Fai food area inside CMU, or the student cafeterias for lunch.

Also good to be careful of hanging out with friends who throw money around. When they suggest dinner you just decline, grab some fried chicken or something from a food stall and then meet up later for drinks, preferably at his place.

Dinner tonight, 25bht two pig liver skewers (dap moo ping) and sticky rice (cow nee-ow) from the local corner shop.

total 105bht and most of that was for a luxury coffee that I didn't really need.

(Best way to save money is on drinks, drink free water when eating out, make tea and coffee at home)

As for clothing,

Jeans from the local market for less then 300bht, two pairs will last more than 1 year.

T-shirts, 50bht each from the local market, I might pay 200bht for a death metal print.

Oh God, That leads into a miserable life. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

As for clothing,

Oh God, That leads into a miserable life. facepalm.gif

I don't get much enjoyment from spending money.

Most of the stuff I like doing is free or nearly free.

Reading a book occupies 2 hours every day no charge.

Walking up to Wat Doi Suthep and back takes 3 hours, no charge.

How much fun can a person expect every day.

Not everyone is an alcoholic, and are the guys getting pissed every day really having fun?

In respecting your own personal life. I do not drink at all for years. But interesting to hear the likes of you can be happy with minimum budget. I read other threads in different forum saying that thy are happy with 150,000 bt a month. For me, i would be comfortable with 50,000-65,000 bt bracket.

That's true.. best value is actually inside universities, such as the Fai food area inside CMU, or the student cafeterias for lunch.

Also good to be careful of hanging out with friends who throw money around. When they suggest dinner you just decline, grab some fried chicken or something from a food stall and then meet up later for drinks, preferably at his place.

I dont ever go inside the universities , but i go around Suthep road by the Uni, srirajamangkala road (between KSK and Niman, and the santhitam areas. The lake inside CMU is also a good coffee spot, i dont drink coffee but go with friends at 30-35aht a cup.

Vegetarian restaurants also give you lots more. But i stopped being vegan though.

..and i eat farang food about 3-4 times a week @150 baht, every once in a while I'll hit up an level retaurant. Went to bake and bite this morning actually.

Why dont people try the search feature... I feel like we do this 1ce a week...

Its probably POSSIBLE to live here for 5000 per month... sure you can live here for 10000 per month but kiss good bye to AC, farang food, a car, beer, cigs, friends, girlfriend or wife, any form of entertainment (tv, internet, movies, going out).....

I would recommend to save until you can afford 20000 per month.... minimum 15000 per month. That way u can at least get a 5000 baht apt, have ac, have internet, and get 1 beer and farang meal a week (sounds easy to live on thai exclusively. .. I planned on it... but its just not possible. .. maybe only after many years. You need your native food and its nit cheap here).

Sent from my GT-I9500

" Why dont people try the search feature... I feel like we do this 1ce a week... "

Interesting statement.

Like there was a guy about a month ago who was going to open a restaurant/bar shortly, and seems he had question after question, that had been covered in the past. Coulda searched it out I guess, but maybe easier to just ask......

Thought comes to mind something about " Pot / Kettle / Black

Glass half full or half empty........ doesn't take long to fall into the half empty category and become a critic.

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

i may have missed it, but i won't see anyone listing health insurance in their budgets.

Info please. I intend retiring in CM early next year. I don't think budget will be an issue. My income will be 70,000 baht per month with substantial investment in Aussie fund. My concern is health insurance. I'm 64, turn 65 in late October. I've been with BUPA Australia for an eternity. One broker I've contacted intimated about 153,000 baht per year premium for one provider, not BUPA. I'm in top table with my current BUPA plan but don't pay anywhere neat this amount. Is the 153,000 mentioned a realistic amount over there ? I know health insurance is expensive for expats but that sounds super expensive to me. Am thinking of putting a substantial sum in a separate bank account for medicals, maybe 200,000 baht or so, & just forget it until needed. What do some of you guys do for insurance ? Would really appreciate any comments on this. BTW, I'll be in CM for a couple of weeks later this month. I could join a fund prior to my 65 birthday if that would assist my plight.

Thanks to all in anticipation of your informative replies.

Malt.