TOT wi-fi modem security question.

pattayadingo

Never having used a wi-fi modem before and TOT having installed one today, ( TP-Link 300Mbps) do I need to set any security settings to stop people 'seeing' the modem / passwords I use etc?

If so, how?

I've read the manual but that is not helpful.

type 192.168.1.1 into you web browser.

goto: wireless than security and switch to aes or tkip/aes

set a password.

click save

done.

Only part solution.

At least all the TOT modems I have seen delivered have remote Web Access enabled with the same default user/password. You really should turn this off or change the password (Shame on TOT).

Just look at your public IP you are getting (login to the wireless router and it should say it somewhere) and make a note of your public IP. Then try to access the public IP from some place outside of your house to verify. Every TOT box I have seen so far (only checked in Isaan) has full access enabled.

set a password.

click save

done.

Only part solution.

At least all the TOT modems I have seen delivered have remote Web Access enabled with the same default user/password. You really should turn this off or change the password (Shame on TOT).

Just look at your public IP you are getting (login to the wireless router and it should say it somewhere) and make a note of your public IP. Then try to access the public IP from some place outside of your house to verify. Every TOT box I have seen so far (only checked in Isaan) has full access enabled.

So basically you are telling him to change the log in user name and password from admin/tot to ones of his own choosing?

If you do PD make sure you write them down somewhere so you can,or tot can, get back in without having to reset all the settings if there is a problem in the future.

set a password.

click save

done.

Thanks to PD for starting this thread.

I am following this thread with interest and would like to review my present security settings and have followed Jake's instructions (thank you) but when I type in 192.168.1.1 on either my usual Chrome browser or IE they both return nothing and the page finally times out. I dont have a TOT issued modem, mine is an older TP-Link (model #TD-W8960N) purchased in Malaysia awhile back.

Just to add a screenshot from Chrome:

post-128422-0-75866000-1375775605_thumb.

Edited by jack2964

I find it best to write the new modem/router username/pwd on a piece of tape on the bottom or back of the device.

Easy to forget you've done that so I just add the details on a sticky note with all my e-mail and banking passwords stuck to the side of my monitor...

set a password.

click save

done.

I am following this thread with interest and would like to review my present security settings and have followed Jake's instructions (thank you) but when I type in 192.168.1.1 on either my usual Chrome browser or IE they both return nothing and the page finally times out. I dont have a TOT issued modem, mine is an older TP-Link (model #TD-W8960N) purchased in Malaysia awhile back.

Hey Jack, open a command prompt : ( windows) start then you type into the search field cmd

into the shell you type : ipconfig -all

you will see something like this:

default gateway ................. 192.168.1.1

dhcp server.........................192.168.1.1

whatever ip shows on you computer, this is your router.

so, go back to you web browser and type that ip in.

TP-LInk is set by default to : user admin pass:admin

depends on what series you use it should be 192.168.2.1 or so.

set a password.

click save

done.

Hey Jack, open a command prompt : ( windows) start then you type into the search field cmd

Did as instructed and I got:

default gateway 192.168.101.1

dhcp server 192.168.101.1

and a whole lot of gobbledygook.

So I typed in 192.168.101.1 on my browser and was presented with this screen...please see screenshot.

Needless to say I hightailed it...Arrrrrgh! lol!

post-128422-0-99693400-1375792731_thumb.

set a password.

click save

done.

Did as instructed and I got:

default gateway 192.168.101.1

dhcp server 192.168.101.1

and a whole lot of gobbledygook.

So I typed in 192.168.101.1 on my browser and was presented with this screen...please see screenshot.

Needless to say I hightailed it...Arrrrrgh! lol!

Don't worry, this actually should not happen with TP-Link but it is within you local lan. Click on proceed anyway. Are you using google chrome there? Try to open the page with IE and see if you get the same message. If you do check TP-Link's company website for a firmware update.

Did you mean something like this

2001:0db8:0000:0000:0000:ff00:0042:8329 2001:db8:0:0:0:ff00:42:8329 2001:db8::ff00:42:8329 as gobbledygook.?

That's IPv6 ! biggrin.png

Edited by JakeBKK

Thanks for your patience Jake.

Yes both IE and Chrome (my preferred browser) displayed the caution page.

I clicked 'proceed anyway' with trepidation and was relieved it only took me to the TOT login page.

I tried 'admin' and 'admin' for both user ID and password but couldn't get in. Same for Admin/tot.

As for IPv6, no that didn't show up in my 'Cmd' black screen. I think I only have IPv4.

If everything else fails, I can only hope my modem has been and is secured enough as I have used it over the

last couple of years without any probs. And being in the sticks I don't think there are any hackers in the neighbourhood.

I've walked around the vicinity and there aren't any other Wifi users within a 300 meter radius.

I've not logged on to TP-Link's website as advised by you. Not sure if I know how to update firmware if required.

Thanks.

The login page is like this:

post-128422-0-78436500-1375795275_thumb.

Sorry Jack, my mistake. TOT is using a home-brew style of firmware. you likely will wreck your router when you flash official tp link firmware onto it.

SSL certificates are usually valid for two years. Ether tot don't bought one at all or it has expired.

On a website i wouldn't click proceed, in you home network? never mind.

I have been and checked and the passwords were admin / admin.

When I went to change the p/w itself I got the message :-

A username and password are being requested by http://192.168.1.1. The site says: "TD-W8961ND"

Next I logged out of the router and back in again and gave it the new p/w I had entered. That worked fine.

I told Firefox NOT to remember the password but it now logs in automatically anyway, as it did with admin / admin. That obviousy is something I do not want.

So the security problem is still there?

edit typo

Edited by pattayadingo

Sorry Jack, my mistake. TOT is using a home-brew style of firmware. you likely will wreck your router when you flash official tp link firmware onto it.

SSL certificates are usually valid for two years. Ether tot don't bought one at all or it has expired.

No worries Jake even though I've not accomplished what I set out, I've learnt something from this.

I'll leave well alone and if it ain't broke...

Thanks Jake! and PD! My apologies if I've somewhat hijacked your thread.

edit for the above post.........

When I logged in with the new p/w that was fine. But and maybe worth noting that unless you close your browser down, (in my case) it logged back in automatically without having to enter the new password.

Therefore, close your browser before going onto the internet if you have been in there and poking about.

So, thanks for the additional info added to this topic.

No worries Jake even though I've not accomplished what I set out, I've learnt something from this.

I'll leave well alone and if it ain't broke...

Thanks Jake! and PD! My apologies if I've somewhat hijacked your thread.

No problems at all with your added input to the thread., Especially if it has helped solve your problem.