Questions on these conditions for Thai Wife National/ US citizen-20 day visit

Perhaps someone on the board can clarify what the conditions are for a short visit to Thailand in my circumstances.

Wife is a legal permanent resident (green card holder) in US for 2 years and holds a Thai passport.

I am a US citizen.

We would like to visit Thailand for 20 days, for me a brief vacation.

I would like to do a visa on arrival for myself at the airport.

I had entered the Kingdom in the past on reunion visas that are stamped in my passport.

If this consideration is acceptable then would I be able to have the passport photos taken at airport and fill out the needed forms for tourist VOA there? I am not sure if the forms are the typical visa applications one must do to obtain visa in the US.

The other kicker for me is when we arrive will my wife's Thai passport be sufficient ID for her entry, and does she being a Thai National have to show 20,00o baht on hand as sufficient funds for entry.

While you are awaiting the experts answers, this is my take on this.

You get 30 days of stay per automatic as a US citizen. And your wife being

a thai, and also hold a thai passport, can just enter...

why should she have to show money?? have never heard such a thing before...

Glegolo

Nobody is normally asked for show of money unless arriving on a direct flight from Africa and even then it would not be likely. Your wife is Thai so totally not required.

As said all you need is the normal 30 day visa exempt entry. There is no option to obtain a visa at airport. There is also no class of visa called reunion - there is a 60 day extension of stay from immigration once inside Thailand for visit of wife/family so perhaps that is what you recall. A normal visa for entry of spouse of Thai would be non immigrant O but that would have to be issued prior to travel and allows 90 day stay which you do not require.

Nobody is normally asked for show of money unless arriving on a direct flight from Africa and even then it would not be likely. Your wife is Thai so totally not required.

As said all you need is the normal 30 day visa exempt entry. There is no option to obtain a visa at airport. There is also no class of visa called reunion - there is a 60 day extension of stay from immigration once inside Thailand for visit of wife/family so perhaps that is what you recall. A normal visa for entry of spouse of Thai would be non immigrant O but that would have to be issued prior to travel and allows 90 day stay which you do not require.

Thanks, good info.

I think visa exempt entry is what I fail to understand.

Does this mean I do not need passport photos, application fees, or forms to fill out? Just get off the plane and get the exemption stamp in passport on entry?

Yes my entries in past were type 0 visas, I recall reunion as that is what I applied for with proper documentation in own country.

As said they hand out entry cards on aircraft and you just fill that out leaving any visa question blank and get a stamp for 30 day entry at immigration entry counter - you do not go to the visa on arrival section as you are not authorized to pay for that 15 day visa. Just go to the normal arrival desk as if you have a visa.

I emailed to Thai Consulate NY, the same as my OP here.

I did get a reply (Just adding the quote for humors sake for you here.)

All they answered is this... "Yes you can go to Thailand for 20 days as long as you have a return ticket."

I asked a bunch of questions that I received no response for. Their simplicity is overwhelming.

I never mentioned any thing about a return ticket. Is that what I need to get in?? biggrin.png

All they answered is this... "Yes you can go to Thailand for 20 days as long as you have a return ticket."

I asked a bunch of questions that I received no response for. Their simplicity is overwhelming.

I never mentioned any thing about a return ticket. Is that what I need to get in?? biggrin.png

You most likely will need it to board the plane is US, not normally a problem once you arrive.

You most likely will need it to board the plane is US, not normally a problem once you arrive.

Good Point~

• 2 weeks later...

Upon entering Thailand with 30 day visa exempt, (and getting a 60 day extension), would it also be possible to then do a border run to Laos and apply for a single entry 0 visa successfully?

I am thinking this if my wife decides she would like to stay there with her kids, and then I would stay.

No problem getting single entry non-o at any nearby embassy or consulate based upon marriage to a Thai.

You could even make a border hop after 60 day extension and get another 60 day extension of that 15 day entry.