Penang consulate closed for holidays - overstay?

Hi,

I was about to do a visa run from Phuket to Penang tomorrow as my visa expires tomorrow too. But I just learned that the consulate in Penang is closed for a few days (Ramadan I think) and the visa run company is not going. The next possible day of a run is Sunday.

Now - as my visa is valid until 7.08 (on arrival 15 days stamp from Ranong).

The question is - do I have to go for an emergency visa run to Ranong and pay 1500B for the service just not to overstay till Sunfday or I can just wait till Sunday, go for the visa tun to Penang (where I have to go anyway as I'm applying for a Non B) and pay the overstay? When does the overstay starts to count from? How much would I end up paying and would I get myself in any trouble?

thanx in advance

...I just realized that the consulate in Penang will be closed on Monday too. (Queens Birthday)

So the next visa run will only happen next Wednesday.

How many days of overstay is it for a visa valid till tomorrow - 7.08?

I guess no options left but to go to Ranong....again :(

Or spend some time in Penang - which is not that hard to do. You can always make the trip on your own - although at end of Ramadan the hotels are almost all booked for a few days feasting so Ranong might be a better choice.

You could apply for a 7 day extension at immigration and pay 1900 baht. Which is less than 2500 baht for 5 days of overstay.

Thanx, this sounds like a good idea - pay 400 more to avoid spending a whole day in a van to and from Ranong. Anything I need to know about getting an extension on the 15 days stamp? Just pay and get it or do I need to bring some papers, photos and stuff to the Phuket Immigration?

Fill out Extension of Temporary Stay in The Kingdom Application Form (TM. 7) (print 2 sided) attach one 4X6 cm photo, copy of passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

What you will do is apply for the extension pay the money and then they give you 7 days to leave the country because they will disapprove the application.

• 11 months later...

does anybody know if the Penang Consulate is open on the 28 July 2014, and if not, will they still extend my Non-B which expires on 28 July if I submit it after?

Penang closed 28, 29th July.

What do you mean by 'will they extend my non 'b' which expires on 28th July'?

^ Thanks for prompt reply, I mean that I have a 90 day Non-B which i want to convert/extend to a 1 year multi-entry. If I exit LOS before 28 July, will the consulate in Penang overlook the fact that it expires on their public holiday and still issue the multi-entry if i submit application on 30 July?

Edited by lemonjelly

^ Thanks for prompt reply, I mean that I have a 90 day Non-B which i want to convert/extend to a 1 year multi-entry. If I exit LOS before 28 July, will the consulate in Penang overlook the fact that it expires on their public holiday and still issue the multi-entry if i submit application on 30 July?

No problem at all.

Visas can never be extended, only Permissions to Stay.

The Non Immigrant 'B' visa is not in your case being 'extended' and in fact there is no requirement for two visas to be continuous.

Whether or not you are applying for a one year multiple entry visa, each application stands in it's own right as a fresh visa application.

No problem at all.

The Non Immigrant 'B' visa is not in your case being 'extended' and in fact there is no requirement for two visas to be continuous.

Whether or not you are applying for a one year multiple entry visa, each application stands in it's own right as a fresh visa application.

ok, thanks for that. You wouldn't happen to know if the paperwork required for the Non-B single entry visa that is valid for the period covered by one's W.P and issued within Thailand and the paperwork required for a Non-B multi-entry issued by a Thai Consulate is the same by any chance ?

Edited by lemonjelly

No problem at all.

ok, thanks for that. You wouldn't happen to know if the paperwork required for the Non-B single entry visa that is valid for the period covered by one's W.P and issued within Thailand and the paperwork required for a Non-B multi-entry issued by a Thai Consulate is the same by any chance ?

Here is the link to the MFA list of required documents:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Paperwork is essentially the same, other than the requirement for an 8 month+ valid WP for the One Year Multiple Non 'B' in Penang.

Obviously the Letter of Acceptance is not required as you already have the WP.

Otherwise, apart from some differences in the company introduction letter, the papers are similar.

Although each Thai Consulate has it's own read on the required list of papers, it's rarely more than the MFA list I linked above.

Any doubts then phone Penang, they actually answer the phone!

Edited by digitalchromakey

No problem at all.

Here is the link to the MFA list of required documents:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Paperwork is essentially the same, other than the requirement for an 8 month+ valid WP for the One Year Multiple Non 'B' in Penang.

Obviously the Letter of Acceptance is not required as you already have the WP.

Otherwise, apart from some differences in the company introduction letter, the papers are similar.

Although each Thai Consulate has it's own read on the required list of papers, it's rarely more than the MFA list I linked above.

Any doubts then phone Penang, they actually answer the phone!