Adsl In Phuket

simon43

At my last house in Nai Yang I had a TT&T phone line and ADSL from MaxNet. The service was totally unreliable and very slow at all times. I was not a happy guy...

Now I have just moved 2 km down the road to Ban Saku. I have a new phone line - this time from TOT. I want to get ADSL hooked up but am wary of signing up for a year's contract and then finding the service unacceptable.

I know reliable, fast ADSL are words not really understood by ADSL providers in Thailand (all 3 words!!), but can anyone recommend a provider who can provide some reasonable reliability and speed (ie maybe as fast as a dial-up line!)

Thanks

Simon - (feeling very pessimistic about this...)

A negative reply to start.

TOT's own ADSL is very poor. The line is down at least two days a week on average and the speeds are generally no faster than dial-up (which I need to use regularly as back-up). On a good day I have downloaded a 12MB file in under 5 minutes but those days are the exception. I have measured my bandwidth at times and speeds have been from 20KPS to 300KPS (I have the 1MB package) but sadly something near the lower end of that scale is the norm.

It's cheap by Thai standards, though not by international standards these days, but I suppose you get what you pay for.

I'll be interested in any suggestions for a better provider.

I guess it very much depends where you are located on the island.

I live in Phuket Town and have been using TOT's ADSL (1 meg) for about 18 months and am very happy. I think i've lost the connection probably about 6 times during the entire time, and on each occassion apart from once, it was fixed within a day.

I regularly download at 100KB/s (800Kb/s), no problems, although this is mostly in the evenings and at night. I rarely use it during the daytime so i can't really comment on that.

KSC are supposed to be very good, and are certainly expensive. However, we use a couple of their ADSL lines in the office in addition to our leased lines and some days they can be quite slow.

You might want to look into CSLoxinfo, also quite expensive.

I am far from being an expert, but.. We have a TOT phoneline and we use JInet (Jasmine Internet). I have no idea about download speeds etc but I can tell you that it has been pretty reliable and definitely faster than a dial up. Occasionally the connection drops out but then my Phuket Internet dial up dropped out far more often.

Good luck with your choice.

A negative reply to start.

TOT's own ADSL is very poor. The line is down at least two days a week on average and the speeds are generally no faster than dial-up (which I need to use regularly as back-up). On a good day I have downloaded a 12MB file in under 5 minutes but those days are the exception. I have measured my bandwidth at times and speeds have been from 20KPS to 300KPS (I have the 1MB package) but sadly something near the lower end of that scale is the norm.

It's cheap by Thai standards, though not by international standards these days, but I suppose you get what you pay for.

I'll be interested in any suggestions for a better provider.

I'm living in Kathu and using the same service and have the same good experience.

Couple of weeks it went down and I've told my wife to call them.

In the evening when I came back from work TOT phoned to me and aked if my line is ok now, it was.

Gerd

in TOT phone line adsl from tot goldcyber is ok,my experience is like toom yam koong,in the day time i never use,by from 17.00pm to 08.00am i can download more of 100KB and very stable

so,for 1000bath it's ok

i'm in phuket town

but,i ask 6 months ago TTeT phone line(still cannot get :o )because with TTeT phone line can make adsl from CAt 2 mb at 1000bath :D

just waiting from long time :D

but i want to say that before i'm in bangkok and pay 1500bath for true adsl 2 mb and is orrible! :D

TOT goldcyber is a lot better of true in general(for me)

Edited by giulio

What about the expensive (3500 baht/month) offering from Island Technologies? I think this company has a good reputation, and I believe the internet 'backbone' connection comes from Singapore, rather than being 'bottlenecked' by the miserable Thai internet backbone....

Simon