For some, anti-govt protest lacks spirit of PAD rallies

webfact

For some, anti-govt protest lacks spirit of PAD rallies
Budsarakham Sinlapalavan
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE LATEST "anti-Thaksin regime" rally at Lumpini Park is reminiscent of a similar anti-Thaksin gathering five years ago.

However, the atmosphere at this "People's Army to Overthrow the Thaksin Regime" rally is different, less exciting so far than the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)'s protest.

The People's Army group put up a large temporary stage in front of the King Rama VI Monument bearing the message: "Join us in overthrowing the Thaksin regime". Speakers took turns onstage to attack the government.

Joining in the rally were both Bangkokians and people from other provinces.

The out-of-towners set up tents around the King Rama VI monument and separated their quarters into provinces such as Tak, Phitsanulok, Chanthaburi, Krabi and Udon Thani. These people from other provinces usually stay for three to five days.

A woman called Mai said she'd come from Tak with her friends, driving a private car. She planned to return home tomorrow, but her friend Kratai was determined to stay until the protest disperses.

Another man, Mek from Udon Thani, said he voted for the Pheu Thai Party in the 2011 general election, but decided to join in this People's Army rally because the government wasn't working for the people and couldn't solve the country's economic troubles.

A woman who identified herself as Somkid, 67, said she was from Bangkok. She was a supporter of the PAD, and said she was now demanding that the Pheu Thai-led government resign.

Somkid was a nurse in the US and returned to Thailand only five years ago. She claimed that every day she reads three to four newspapers and looks for information on the Internet to get more news about the government.

"My reason for joining this rally is because I can see this government is corrupt, so I want to show politicians that voters don't want corrupt leaders," Somkid said.

Both Bangkokians and people from other provinces said the rally would be livelier and more powerful if the PAD's leaders joined in.

Rally crowds are always more enthusiastic when their stomachs are full.

At this one, there's a tent called the "centre kitchen" that welcomes everyone with free meals. It has a volunteer kitchen too.

A woman who identified herself as Jit said her kitchen provided meals for supporters all day. The most popular dish among rally-goers seems to be omelette with rice.

One difficulty with this rally is that there are no shower rooms or toilets. Protesters use Lumpini Park's toilets and facilities provided by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

Like all rally sites, this one offers a golden opportunity for vendors to operate their businesses. Several vendors have set up street stalls to sell white masks and T-shirts emblazoned with anti-government messages.

Prapai Kiewsra, 53, a souvenir vendor, said she is a PAD supporter and has been selling anti-government souvenirs since the group's rally in 2008.

"I wanted to go to the rally but my daughter won't allow me to join in because she fears I may get hurt if violence breaks out. So I decided to order souvenirs from Sampheng, a large wholesale market, to sell at the rally. But several times I left my shop to join in the rallies."

Kanlaya Cherdchid, 55, a T-shirt vendor, said she has been joining PAD rallies since 2008. She began to think it would be a good idea to sell something at the rally sites. So she created screen-printed T-shirts and sold them to protesters.

However, some regular vendors at the venue worry they are looked down on, as if they were part of the rally.

Phun Panwaewngam, 29, said he's been selling fruit at Lumpini Park for a long time, but when the area was occupied by the rallies he was wary of being seen as one of the protesters.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-07

Really can't see much happening here with the massive police presence and the ISA in place.....

PT will push no doubt ahead regardless.....unleaa of course the bill is withdrawn at the last minute......then there would be fury from abroad!!

Really can't see much happening here with the massive police presence and the ISA in place.....

PT will push no doubt ahead regardless.....unleaa of course the bill is withdrawn at the last minute......then there would be fury from abroad!!

OR nearer to home if the man is actually on Koh Chang.

Its just lacking the violence, looting and circus side show display of red shirts; that is what they're trying to say. A little less entertaining and less like a shockumentary.

At least they're exhibiting true protest form; making a statement without the need for rogue behavior.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

Oh dam_n...it is lacking the PAD-spirit?

And I was looking forward to some nice sit-in's at the airport(s)!

...and-of course- the TAT- announcement, that 7 days of chaos at Swampy and DMK had no ifluence on the number of expected tourists!

Tourists are flocking to Thailand to see the airport sit-in"s

The "spirit" of PAD rallie that got the international airport closed for a week, and through travel, business, and security into utter turmoil and uncertainty. Give us some of that old time spirit. Here here.

But that little inconvenience would be worth it to get rid of Thaksin (or at this time his brother in law). Sure the damage was nothing in compare with the rice scam. Just it didn't work.....

• Like 1

Are the red shirts upset because the anti government protesters aren't out doing them on the murder and mayhem side of things?

Well the fact that none of the protestors out there now were paid speaks for itself. The reds probably cannot fathom why you would want to protest unless you were getting your daily 500 and all the whiskey and sticky rice you can stomach at night.

How do you know this?

• Like 1

whistling.gif Yes, definitely not the same "spirit" as PT rallies.

Nobody carrying automatic weapons and brandishing them about.

Nobody up on stage telling people to burn down half of Bangkok.

No masked men in black acting as "security" and beating up random passers by.

Nothing like the "spirit" of other PT rallies.

Hmm.... could the reason be that the people in these demonstration are not just hired thugs like in former PT rallies?

(300 Baht a day).

...and-of course- the TAT- announcement, that 7 days of chaos at Swampy and DMK had no ifluence on the number of expected tourists!

Oh dear God, enough with the airport already. I'm guessing it was because you were personally inconvenienced, or were you truly troubled by the impact on this country's tourism. C'mon.

And for the last time, they.were.chased.into.the.airport. by the aggressive Redshirts who wanted their Dear Leader home soonest. Which could still very well happen if this corrupt puppet maladministration get their own way, despite a warning from the UN, but hell, that was what Yingluck et al were installed for.

And no, I am not an 'elitist' and observed both rallies, red and yellow, personally. I know which one I'd've preferred to be part of.

Oh dear God, enough with the airport already. I'm guessing it was because you were personally inconvenienced, or were you truly troubled by the impact on this country's tourism. C'mon.

And for the last time, they.were.chased.into.the.airport. by the aggressive Redshirts who wanted their Dear Leader home soonest. Which could still very well happen if this corrupt puppet maladministration get their own way, despite a warning from the UN, but hell, that was what Yingluck et al were installed for.

And no, I am not an 'elitist' and observed both rallies, red and yellow, personally. I know which one I'd've preferred to be part of.

Are you sure you observed both rallies - i can't remember seeing those poor yellow shirts being herded into the airports by redshirts?

• Like 2

I guess the current protest lacks the 'spirit' of the red thugs rallies as there are no 'leaders' lieing their asses off, nobody has been paid bribes to come here, nobody is threatening violence or handing out guns to people or telling people to burn down buildings. LET'S HOPE IT STAYS THAT WAY !

• Like 1

And this on the same day that the Democrats could muster only 2,000 for their 'walk' through the city. If you count the Democrat MPs that were there, their families and the number of paid Democrat hacks then there was probably not a single independent person involved.

About time the amart realised that ordinary Thais do not support them.

• Like 1

And this on the same day that the Democrats could muster only 2,000 for their 'walk' through the city. If you count the Democrat MPs that were there, their families and the number of paid Democrat hacks then there was probably not a single independent person involved.

No one ever voted for the amaart either. Most people who voted for PTP didn't really know what they were voting for either. A country gets the government it deserves, and this one isn't looking too smart right now, and is willing to possibly send the country into chaos. The powers that be, aren't going to stand back and let Thaksin back in, of that I am sure.

Problem is, Thailand maybe about to reap the whirlwind of it's financial largesse, the rice mess, and all these tax cuts, and an unsustainable property boom.

Either way, it isn't looking to good.

For my thinking, the Shinawatras will have to go as far as the amaart are concerned. They are too much of a threat to the ways things are set up here. What comes afterwards, god only knows.

• Like 1

Are the red shirts upset because the anti government protesters aren't out doing them on the murder and mayhem side of things?

Well the fact that none of the protestors out there now were paid speaks for itself. The reds probably cannot fathom why you would want to protest unless you were getting your daily 500 and all the whiskey and sticky rice you can stomach at night.

Possibly, and not saying you are wrong, but either yesterday or the day before there was an article in BP that stated that some WERE being paid 500 a day, up to 2.500 for days of participation. True or not, I have no clue, but that's what was reported.

• Like 2

I really have some problems with your comment that the PAD were "chased into the airport by aggressive Redshirts. Here's why. Sondhi was heard, and recorded, by many sources as telling the PAD they were going to march on the airports and close them down. Which is exactly what they did. The other part is your reference to Red Shirts. The Red Shirt, as an organization, didn't even exist until long AFTER the PAD rallies had finally come to a close. At the time of the PAD, there were NO Red Shirt, NO UDD, so I have no clue as to why you are making such inane statements.

• Like 1

I wasn't necessarily anti-PAD until Sondhi came out with the comment that the rural poor were too stupid to vote, and shouldn't be allowed to, and then managed to get my hands on a copy of their "outline" for "Democracy".

1) Parliament would be 70% "appointed", and those doing the appointments would be the elite and top military brass.

2) The remaining 30% would be elected by vote,but the ONLY people eligible to vote were those in possession of a university degree. No degree, then you aren't smart enough to vote.

3) Prime Ministers would be Royally Appointed, not elected by Parliament.

After reading that any support I might have had for them few right out the window

• Like 2

I wasn't necessarily anti-PAD until Sondhi came out with the comment that the rural poor were too stupid to vote, and shouldn't be allowed to, and then managed to get my hands on a copy of their "outline" for "Democracy".

1) Parliament would be 70% "appointed", and those doing the appointments would be the elite and top military brass.

2) The remaining 30% would be elected by vote,but the ONLY people eligible to vote were those in possession of a university degree. No degree, then you aren't smart enough to vote.

3) Prime Ministers would be Royally Appointed, not elected by Parliament.

After reading that any support I might have had for them few right out the window

That must have been a special addition only for you.

And you forgot to mention that the 70% are appointed by elected people and that all was just a base for discussion not a finished outline.

Anyway it would not have solved any problems and PAD started than to want either a military dictator or royal appointed government.

the majority of protesters were elderly,

Of course the majority of protesters were elderly.

Look around you and you will see that most people in this country have to work for a living.

Most of those of working age cant take days off to join rallies no matter how strong their feelings are one way or the other.

• Like 1

No one ever voted for the amaart either. Most people who voted for PTP didn't really know what they were voting for either. A country gets the government it deserves, and this one isn't looking too smart right now, and is willing to possibly send the country into chaos. The powers that be, aren't going to stand back and let Thaksin back in, of that I am sure.

Problem is, Thailand maybe about to reap the whirlwind of it's financial largesse, the rice mess, and all these tax cuts, and an unsustainable property boom.

Either way, it isn't looking to good.

For my thinking, the Shinawatras will have to go as far as the amaart are concerned. They are too much of a threat to the ways things are set up here. What comes afterwards, god only knows.

the Shinawatras Amaart will have to go as far as the amaart Shinawatras are concerned. They are too much of a threat to the ways things are set up here. What comes afterwards......

the majority of protesters were elderly,

Of course the majority of protesters were elderly.

Look around you and you will see that most people in this country have to work for a living.

Most of those of working age cant take days off to join rallies no matter how strong their feelings are one way or the other.

As I have just posted on another thread-----spirit is there---fighting started with police involved--3-30 pm