Thailand to use cat bags to entice tourists

webfact

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thainess = brain dead when it comes to Marketing

Maybe marketing to foreigners, but they seem to be pretty good at marketing to Thais. If London put out bags with a smiling London Bobby or a Bulldog, that might encourage Thai tourists to come to Jolly Olde England.

They should have researched the impact on tourists from different backgrounds.....

In Dutch "to buy a cat in the bag" means to buy something completely useless and/or far too expensive.

The bags look kinda cute though, would like to have one.

Free moggy bags First to be given to various government offices. FOR WHAT ??? what %.? some tourists may get to see them, maybe Hi So Chinese tourists on a pre paid package.

My doubts are what company is to make them, ??? what material is used-disposable-plastic ???? are 7-11 going to have them OR are they given out at 5* hotels.

It will be nice for government officials to carry the fiddle money home in and make a nice change from those dull brown envelopes

• Like 1

All of you mock yet there have been very successful marketing campaigns based on little more than a recognisable logo. A man made of tyres. A cigarette packet in gold colour (Brits only), a labrador puppy (Brits again).

It's all about idea association, people make choices on the flimsiest of reasons.

Maybe marketing to foreigners, but they seem to be pretty good at marketing to Thais. If London put out bags with a smiling London Bobby or a Bulldog, that might encourage Thai tourists to come to Jolly Olde England.

You might have missed it, but the headline reads:

Thailand to use cat bags to entice tourists

Tourists generally means "foreigners" visiting said country. I agree they do well to market to themselves, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Why wouldn't TAT think tourists would be attracted to Thailand by the picture of a cute pussy?

We have four pussy cats....... and not a rat in sight.

I'm sure a very large number of male tourists come here for the pussy.

• Like 1

All of you mock yet there have been very successful marketing campaigns based on little more than a recognisable logo. A man made of tyres. A cigarette packet in gold colour (Brits only), a labrador puppy (Brits again).

It's all about idea association, people make choices on the flimsiest of reasons.

Agreed . . . however those comparisons you made were all accompanied by a HUGE marketing budget and had "some" identification with the product they represented or the values/ideals of said product.

A cat (which isn't even a "Thai" cat) just doesn't cut it for me in this instance lol . . . now, if they'd used an Elephant perhaps (as long as they made sure it was a Thai Elephant) that would make more sense.

For reasons I don't recall, don't Siamese cats actually originate from ancient Egypt - in the time of the Pharoes & have absolutely ZERO to do with Siam / Thailand!?!?

Good research from TAT!

Interesting comment, as ancient Egyptians vere very fond of cats. Made me check Wikipedia, who says:

»The Siamese (Thai: วิเชียรมาศ, RTGS: Wichianmat) is one of the first distinctly recognized breeds of Oriental cat. The breed originated in Thailand (formerly known as Siam), where they are one of several native breeds and are called Wichian Mat (วิเชียรมาศ, a name meaning "moon diamond"). In the 20th century the Siamese cat became one of the most popular breeds in Europe and North America.«

Edit: Typo sad.png

Edited by khunPer

Agreed . . . however those comparisons you made were all accompanied by a HUGE marketing budget and had "some" identification with the product they represented or the values/ideals of said product.

A cat (which isn't even a "Thai" cat) just doesn't cut it for me in this instance lol . . . now, if they'd used an Elephant perhaps (as long as they made sure it was a Thai Elephant) that would make more sense.

I think it's a PURRRRRRFECT idea.

It is a language problem. The TOT talked to a wide portion of the visitors from the EU, Russia, Australia, and sailors off US Navy ships. 90% of the male vacationers and 100% of the sailors stated that the like young Thai cats, or something like that. whistling.gif

Ermmm...yes; what they actualy said was that they liked Thai Pussy !!

Edited by trainman34014

I hate cat's with a passion,, i get sick around them and i see no real gain in them being alive, they catch mouses i suppose but in Australia they kill many of the native birds that will be extinct, when i see people in the supermarket with carts full of cat food or (dog food) i really feel like slapping them,, because i will always think of the poor children in the world, don't they deserve more than a cat or dog? That's my opinion...... or maybe give out plastic bags everywhere and ask the people to put in it ONE piece of rubbish in it and throw it out maybe the country would be cleaner.

And that national treasure, a cat is the first thing to just pops to mind when I think of Thailand.

When it comes to " brain dead " the comments in this thread are far ahead of anything TAT could come up with.

Just about anything to do with Thailand, no matter how trivial or banal, seems to provoke a volley of childish name calling that would embarrass most primary school children.

It's like we are looking at different bags.

That pussy is fetching. Maybe if you don't see that, Thailand isn't the right fit for you ... coffee1.gif

Cats don't fetch.

Not True. Years ago I had a Russian Blue (much prettier and smarter than Siamese), as well as 2 of her male kittens, who absolutely LOVED to play fetch with the little fuzzy toy mice I bought for them.

• Like 1

When it comes to " brain dead " the comments in this thread are far ahead of anything TAT could come up with.

Just about anything to do with Thailand, no matter how trivial or banal, seems to provoke a volley of childish name calling that would embarrass most primary school children.

I'm gonna tell my mammy of you

They should have researched the impact on tourists from different backgrounds.....

In Dutch "to buy a cat in the bag" means to buy something completely useless and/or far too expensive.

The bags look kinda cute though, would like to have one.

I think TAT must have some Nederland Folk working for them. The saying is "a pig in a poke'. <deleted>

And you can write that with a straight face with your online name? Right. lol