How does one becomes an English teacher?

I've read numerous articles and stories about a westerner coming to Thailand and getting a job without any Thai language skills, Thai culture knowledge or whatsoever related to Thailand.

Doesn't one needs a certain amount of knowledge about the thai language and culture to start teaching English in the appropriate country they reside in and the people (Thai) they teach to?

Or is the only prerequisite that they possess a TEFL certificate and they will just need to be ''present'' in the classroom, to show that it is a westerner teaching English for ''face'' ?

And It is a pre-programmed class, as in; translations are pre-programmed,in booklets or video, and all that the '' English teacher'' has to do is to be on the line of the programme.

I am curious on how one becomes an English teacher in Thailand and what his role is in the classroom and/or private teaching.

There is really only one expert when it comes to English teaching in Thailand and that is a fellow called Stickman (google).

Mr. Walen won't like that! smile.png

To the OP....... don't take this the wrong way but is your first language English?

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Strange how many people wanting to learn Thai want a teacher who can speak English. This includes many TEFLers I have known, who know that when learning a language the native language should not be spoken.

I cringe when I hear an English teacher straight off the boat attempting to speak Thai in a classroom.

Immersion is the best way to learn a language.

• Like 1

Strange how many people wanting to learn Thai want a teacher who can speak English. This includes many TEFLers I have known, who know that when learning a language the native language should not be spoken.

I cringe when I hear an English teacher straight off the boat attempting to speak Thai in a classroom.

I used the fact that my spoken Thai was less than perfect as a way of encouraging the students not to be afraid of making mistakes when speaking English in class.

It seemed to work rather well.

• Like 1

Basically, most government schools just want a 'dancing white monkey' that doesn't know too much about Thai culture and language.

They pay peanuts so usually they get what they want.

Ones that have been here a while and are subservient don't last long.

• Like 2

Basically, most government schools just want a 'dancing white monkey' that doesn't know too much about Thai culture and language.

They pay peanuts so usually they get what they want.

Ones that have been here a while and are subservient don't last long.

How can they have been here a while and at the same time not last long?

Speaking Thai - You don't need Thai at all to teach English. It can make some things faster (e.g. explaining the rules of a game), is useful for administrative tasks (e.g. students who fail and want extra homework to change their grade) and is likewise useful for communicating with Thai people while living in Thailand, thus making your life easier. However, you don't need to speak Thai in order to teach English. As teaching via the use of images and body language is generally more effective, likewise the "non teaching English" which you use in the classroom (e.g. come here, stand up, sit down, be quiet etc) means that they are constantly learning, and forced to speak English for even basic tasks (e.g. May I go to the toilet please?), and the more practice the better. This should work with students of all ages, so long as you're a good teacher.

Thai Culture - You don't need to understand Thai culture before you start teaching, however if you don't understand it, you need to be patient, tolerant and understanding of it. As Thai culture is different to western culture, and so there are some things which will really annoy you, but you need to just accept them as you learn more about Thai culture. There is often a lot of fuss made about not touching peoples heads, and a few other cultural "taboos", most of the time the students don't really care, and if they do care, you can usually work it out pretty quickly and modify your actions. Thai people are generally understanding that their teacher doesn't understand Thai culture, so even if you do something quite bad, they're not really going to mind so long as you learn from it. Although of course, it is best to try and be conservative, polite and patient at all times.

Role Model - If you're going to be a teacher in Thailand, you need to remember that you're a role model. This is the same as in the west, but a lot of people seem to worry more about doing something offensive by Thai culture (like touching someone's head), than what they worry about being a good role model. Think about what a good role model is for students, and remember that both inside and outside of school, you need to behave in that manner (Remembering that a playboy party animal isn't usually held up as a prime example of a model citizen).

Getting a job - First do a TESOL or CELTA course, they're not mandatory, but will assist with teaching you how to teach English. They will also assist you with getting a job placement (Either in Thailand or elsewhere, remembering that in Thailand you need a bachelor degree in order to legally work, but in other countries this isn't necessarily the case), although there are also many websites which can assist you with this. Then just turn up to work and "get on with the job" soto speak.

• Like 1

Well, the idea some schools have is that by conducting the class all in English, the kids will learn English through osmosis or something. rolleyes.gif

In reality, conducting the class entirely in English only works well if the students already have a pretty good grasp of the basics.

For absolute beginners, the teacher really does need to know some Thai, to give classroom instructions, handle discipline, explain concepts in Thai when the students can't grasp the explanation given in English, etc.

Either that or have the farang teacher work with a native Thai teacher who can help explain things, help with discipline (and not just sit in the back of the classroom grading papers or playing with his/her phone the whole period).

Some of the better schools take English seriously. They're in the minority though. A lot of schools just want a foreign teacher for "face," as you guessed. Often that teacher will teach 20-30 different classes for one hour each week, and the students will learn little or no English.

Or maybe, just maybe, there is no Thai teacher available able to give lessons in the English language?

I do understand that any foreign teacher needs to attend a course in Thai values, or something like that.

Edited by hansnl

Well, the idea some schools have is that by conducting the class all in English, the kids will learn English through osmosis or something. rolleyes.gif

In reality, conducting the class entirely in English only works well if the students already have a pretty good grasp of the basics.

For absolute beginners, the teacher really does need to know some Thai, to give classroom instructions, handle discipline, explain concepts in Thai when the students can't grasp the explanation given in English, etc.

Either that or have the farang teacher work with a native Thai teacher who can help explain things, help with discipline (and not just sit in the back of the classroom grading papers or playing with his/her phone the whole period).

Some of the better schools take English seriously. They're in the minority though. A lot of schools just want a foreign teacher for "face," as you guessed. Often that teacher will teach 20-30 different classes for one hour each week, and the students will learn little or no English.

Or maybe, just maybe, there is no Thai teacher available able to give lessons in the English language?

I do understand that any foreign teacher needs to attend a course in Thai values, or something like that.

Ah, but most schools do have Thai teachers teaching English, mainly by drilling vocabulary over and over again. Also, many schools have Filipino teachers who are fluent in English, actually have education degrees, and work for half the price of a farang teacher. So what is the farang teacher there for? It really depends on the school.

Not EVERY school only wants a farang teacher for 'face.' As I stated, some schools do take English seriously. A good indicator is how many hours the foreign teacher spends with each class per week. 4 or 5 hours a week? At that point, yes, they actually care about English and expect results.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are schools where you teach each class for only one hour a week. In these schools English is generally considered less important than PE, Chinese, traditional dance and flower arrangement, and only slightly more important than geography or world history. You might be able to teach some vocabulary and a few useful phrases to some of the brighter kids, but that will be about it. The school doesn't care anyway; at this point you are there just to make the school look good.

Anyway there are both kinds of schools in Thailand (I've taught in both), and a whole lot in between. I do feel when teaching beginners, some Thai language skill is very helpful in the classroom, especially if your time with each class is fairly limited. If you walk into a temple school full of kids who can't speak English, and you can't speak Thai, it will take 15 minutes to get them to take out a piece of paper. Discipline will be a problem too, because if you can't speak Thai a lot of the kids won't respect you. If the kids speak a decent amount of English already, speaking Thai becomes less important. At my current school I run the class in English 99% of the time. I will occasionally use Thai if a discipline issue arises. Also, if one of the slower students seems completely lost I will take him/her aside and explain some of the concepts in Thai to make sure they understand.

Regarding the Thai culture class requirement I don't think that exists anymore (I've never had to take it anyway). I can't really say I'm for or against that one way or another, I've rambled enough as it is.

• Like 1

Ah, but most schools do have Thai teachers teaching English, mainly by drilling vocabulary over and over again. Also, many schools have Filipino teachers who are fluent in English, actually have education degrees, and work for half the price of a farang teacher. So what is the farang teacher there for? It really depends on the school.

Not EVERY school only wants a farang teacher for 'face.' As I stated, some schools do take English seriously. A good indicator is how many hours the foreign teacher spends with each class per week. 4 or 5 hours a week? At that point, yes, they actually care about English and expect results.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are schools where you teach each class for only one hour a week. In these schools English is generally considered less important than PE, Chinese, traditional dance and flower arrangement, and only slightly more important than geography or world history. You might be able to teach some vocabulary and a few useful phrases to some of the brighter kids, but that will be about it. The school doesn't care anyway; at this point you are there just to make the school look good.

Anyway there are both kinds of schools in Thailand (I've taught in both), and a whole lot in between. I do feel when teaching beginners, some Thai language skill is very helpful in the classroom, especially if your time with each class is fairly limited. If you walk into a temple school full of kids who can't speak English, and you can't speak Thai, it will take 15 minutes to get them to take out a piece of paper. Discipline will be a problem too, because if you can't speak Thai a lot of the kids won't respect you. If the kids speak a decent amount of English already, speaking Thai becomes less important. At my current school I run the class in English 99% of the time. I will occasionally use Thai if a discipline issue arises. Also, if one of the slower students seems completely lost I will take him/her aside and explain some of the concepts in Thai to make sure they understand.

Regarding the Thai culture class requirement I don't think that exists anymore (I've never had to take it anyway). I can't really say I'm for or against that one way or another, I've rambled enough as it is.

Thai kids or adults won't respect you if you can't speak Thai, or are making an effort to for sure. I know a guy who has been in Thailand longer than the kids he teaches, is married to a native and can hardly speak a word. If the language teacher can't learn a language, why on earth should the kids think he can teach one.

• Like 1

Another thing that hasn't been said - the schools, especially the govt. ones want dancing white monkeys as they can make money off them. Same as language school - purely financial. They don't care if the kids don't learn and some actually adhere to the Chinese philosophy of keeping them ignorant.

• Like 1

Look "white", have any type of degree and speak native English preferably British and your set.

Seriously, I love my half dozen friends who teach around Bangkok but god they are all worthless teachers. Parents must seriously hate their children if they want these people teaching their children.

I'm sure others have better advice.

Look "white", have any type of degree and speak native English preferably British and your set.

Seriously, I love my half dozen friends who teach around Bangkok but god they are all worthless teachers. Parents must seriously hate their children if they want these people teaching their children.

I'm sure others have better advice.

'and your set'

Maybe you need an English teacherlaugh.png

• Like 1

Adults learning Thai in a Thai language school need the teacher to be able to speak English. Farang English teachers in a school teaching Thai children, do not need to speak Thai to teach English. Thai school children are learning English from grade one upwards gradually as they go along. A Farang adult learning to speak Thai is learning over a short period of time, say six or seven months, maybe three hours a day, five days a week. It is not rocket science to understand that a Thai teacher teaching Thai needs to be fluent in English. Having been an English teacher and attended a Thai language school, that is my opinion.

Feel free to disagree with me. I have never come across any Farang English teachers speaking fluent Thai. I do feel though that apart from teachers from the Philipines, it is necessary in most cases, to be a native speaking English speaker to teach English in Thailand.

I wonder how many NES farangs are teaching in Isaan without a degree or TEFL? It's a bunch, and at public schools. Yes it's illegal and yes it's under the table but I have been offered two jobs myself at 30k simply because I was visiting teachers I know in Nakon Nowhere where there were no farangs for miles around.

I visited one school where my friend was the English teacher. She can read and write English quite well, but she learned it at uni from a Thai teacher who couldn't speak it. She has no idea how the words truly sound.She and the school administration were delighted to put me in front of the class for a couple of days and I chose to teach the students how to say the colors. I wrote the words for the colors on the chalk board, then found items of various colors. I stayed animated walking around the room finding yellow items, getting the class to say yellow, and pointing to the word on the chalk board. Then I picked another color and at the end of two days the kids could say the colors.

I'll admit I had a bunch of fun doing it, but I would never work for 30k. I mean, it was really fun.

Adults learning Thai in a Thai language school need the teacher to be able to speak English. Farang English teachers in a school teaching Thai children, do not need to speak Thai to teach English. Thai school children are learning English from grade one upwards gradually as they go along. A Farang adult learning to speak Thai is learning over a short period of time, say six or seven months, maybe three hours a day, five days a week. It is not rocket science to understand that a Thai teacher teaching Thai needs to be fluent in English. Having been an English teacher and attended a Thai language school, that is my opinion.

Feel free to disagree with me. I have never come across any Farang English teachers speaking fluent Thai. I do feel though that apart from teachers from the Philipines, it is necessary in most cases, to be a native speaking English speaker to teach English in Thailand.

The teachers at the best Thai language schools don't speak any English in class. Union, Unity, AUA for starters.

So, seems like the experts disagree with you.

I've met many English teacher fluent in Thai - I was an English teacher for 13 years and pretty fluent by the end of that time.

I know many Adults, myself included that have been learning Thai for 20 years.

First of all, come from an affluent, English-speaking country like America, England (don't say U.K., it is too confusing), Australia, Belgium or Switzerland. Bulgaria is iffy but possible, Nigeria is very iffy but doable for cut-price Thais. Pakistan is unacceptable as they speak the Khaek language, not English.

Secondly, get rid of your surname as they are superfluous. Middle names can go too.

Thirdly add the title Ajarn before your first name. e.g. Ajarn Johan, et voila, you are an English teacher.

It really is that simple.