Why are some things so overpriced in Thailand and others not?

Tmymaimee

Container is limited to about 16,000 Kg.

You also have local pickup in the US, local delivery in Thailand, processing fees etc.

As far as tax and duty, you are at the whim of the customs department.

A $2,000 Brunswick is a pretty low end table. I'm sure you can get something as good locally for less money.

Also, be advised, anything you pack in a container better be well packed and secure.

Delivery in Thailand on a flat deck is about 10,000 baht for a 3 hour radius. No duties or taxes on second hand personal goods for a Thai citizen with 1 year outside of Thailand.

The table price was only a comparison example. I'm sure the price difference widens on higher end tables.

So far my list is a few jet skis, bbq, bed frames and mattresses, linens, gas range, a few newer pinball games, bar furniture, patio furniture and pool table all purchased barely used on Ebay. Just a basic shipping of $4000 for the container and 75% off the Thai new prices will save me over $10k.

My only concern s what am I missing here as other people don't seem to do the same as my plans but I'm not sure why.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you are American.

Nearly all, if not all Americans i know of complain about cost in LOSTD,

i dont know of any other nationality that complain,

on the contrary the rest think its cheap.

That's because everything is cheap in America; we have Walmart.

Walmart and Costco seem to be everywhere in Asia but Thailand and Philippines for some reason.

I have come across costco in S.Korea but I have never seen a walmart anywhere in my entire life.

Where are these walmarts?

on every busy street corner in the USA. Folks like you who havent seen or been in one are the reason many people think Thailand is soooo cheap. No way Walmart would operate in Thailand. Just walk into a Tesco or Big C and all they sell is junk plus aisles of cooking oil, rice, cockroach killer. LOL, its just a joke and Walmart wants no part of it...or any other top usa retailer like costco

• Like 1

Of course the reason I am moving to Thailand is because of the girls. Can you think of a single reason otherwise? If it wasn't for sex, the world economy would collapse. No one goes to nightclubs to buy overpriced beer, drives a BMW to drop the kids off at daycare and why do women buy makeup and go to the hair salon? Where would Thailand be if the girls were fat and ugly?

no this is not true actually. check out the fools who go to Bed Supper Club and shell out huge bucks for example. All because the think it is "cool". LOL. You couldnt pay me to walk inside that place. I lived across the street for 10 years and never set foot in there, just laughed at those who did

• Like 1

I think even a Walmart in LOS would have high prices due to the import duties. The US has free trade agreements with no import duties.

For instance, I bought a new Harley a couple of years ago in Oregon, US for $18,000 US and no sales tax. A good friend in Canada bought the same bike for US$25,000 due to Canada's import and sales taxes.

I bought a new loaded Ford F150 full 4 door, auto, 4x4 pickup with 4.6 ltr V8 engine for US$28,000 (874K baht) out the door with no sales tax. What would that cost me in LOS?

I could go on, but the internet will prove it. Things are really cheap in the US but by the time you pay duties to get them into Thailand, the duties can possibly equal what you paid for the items, doubling their price.

The USA is a paradise of cheap goods. Nowhere else comes close. As I stated non USA folks generally have no clue which is why they say "Thailand is so cheap". I stay in Thailand for my wife and I love living where I do. I do NOT stay in Thailand for cheapness of goods and services or anything else that requires purchasing. junk quality and high prices. there is more to life than goods and services so I'm happy to stay here forever. but I dread when I have to buy a big ticket item like a car. Anything I can buy in USA when on holiday I do so as long as I can bring it on the plane. I guess that leaves only cars and big screen TVs as only items I buy here. Oh and food. u gotta eat. as for shipping stuff here I say no thx. I dont wanna get involved in ripoff duties. As I stated earlier no USA chains of economically priced goods will never operate in this country. They have a reputation and standard of wide variety of good at low prices. Tesco please be our guest and have 20% of floor space cooking oil, rice, eggs and chicken. It's a joke really if you come from the US, the land of goods and services. No other country comes close

Canada comes pretty damn close except for gas and chicken/egg/milk prices

• Like 1

I'm not American. And I'm not complaining...I'm asking why something that costs $2000 in the US is 140,000 baht in Thailand. Even taking into account bulk shipping rates (maybe $200 for the pool table) and VAT, why the disparity? If someone said it was because a pool table is a "luxury good" then why are some other luxury goods priced in line with US prices plus shipping and VAT?

I emailed the pool table dealer for an explanation. If in fact its just opportunity, then why would someone not set up a mail order import business to take advantage of these price differences? Are Thai people not motivated to make money when they see these types of opportunities?

Someone could set up weekly shipping from Oregon (being tax free) and just fill containers based on prepaid orders for everything from tools, hardware, hobby supplies or anything else not available at a fair price in Thailand.

There is a 60% tax on some luxury goods and that is over the price plus shipping. Then the seller in Thailand wants to make some money and because its not a high turnover good the markup is higher.

Depends where these goods come from and if an FTA with Thailand is in effect. If the pool tables in question were manufactured in Australia (which has an FTA with Thailand known as TAFTA), then they should not be much more expensive than in Australia, and only need to be slightly more expensive due to shipping costs, which shouldn't add a whole lot to the overall cost. Of course I strongly suspect that these pool tables are not manufactured in Australia or any other country with which Thailand has an FTA agreement, hence the huge price disparity.

I think even a Walmart in LOS would have high prices due to the import duties. The US has free trade agreements with no import duties.

For instance, I bought a new Harley a couple of years ago in Oregon, US for $18,000 US and no sales tax. A good friend in Canada bought the same bike for US$25,000 due to Canada's import and sales taxes.

I bought a new loaded Ford F150 full 4 door, auto, 4x4 pickup with 4.6 ltr V8 engine for US$28,000 (874K baht) out the door with no sales tax. What would that cost me in LOS?

I could go on, but the internet will prove it. Things are really cheap in the US but by the time you pay duties to get them into Thailand, the duties can possibly equal what you paid for the items, doubling their price.

The USA is a paradise of cheap goods. Nowhere else comes close. As I stated non USA folks generally have no clue which is why they say "Thailand is so cheap". I stay in Thailand for my wife and I love living where I do. I do NOT stay in Thailand for cheapness of goods and services or anything else that requires purchasing. junk quality and high prices. there is more to life than goods and services so I'm happy to stay here forever. but I dread when I have to buy a big ticket item like a car. Anything I can buy in USA when on holiday I do so as long as I can bring it on the plane. I guess that leaves only cars and big screen TVs as only items I buy here. Oh and food. u gotta eat. as for shipping stuff here I say no thx. I dont wanna get involved in ripoff duties. As I stated earlier no USA chains of economically priced goods will never operate in this country. They have a reputation and standard of wide variety of good at low prices. Tesco please be our guest and have 20% of floor space cooking oil, rice, eggs and chicken. It's a joke really if you come from the US, the land of goods and services. No other country comes close

You are right - and they say that China is the "land of the cheap". What a joke. Although traditionally it's wages and other inputs have been very cheap compared to other nations including the USA (hence why many countries started setting up shop in China) these days wages have risen dramatically and the prices for imported goods makes anything imported sold in Thailand look cheap.

2 years ago I remember a packet of Swiss made Kambly cookies sold in Wangfujing supermarket in Kunming selling for a ridiculous 85 Yuan or around US$12 at the time. In Bangkok they were selling the same cookies for around about 100 Baht or US$3.33. Nowadays the Bangkok price has risen to about 118 Baht or close to US$4, but the Chinese price is likely to be around 90 Yuan or something like US$14, now that the Yuan is worth more than back then. I'm pretty sure these Chinese prices are about the highest in the world for this item - just how ridiculous can you get? Protectionism? Well no...there are no competing Chinese cookie making firms that can make similar cookies and indeed, cookies aren't generally considered a staple of the Chinese diet. It is just price gouging at it's finest. Fortunately there are foreign-owned and run bakeries that bake up good cookies for a lot less so you don't have to buy the imported version that only millionaires can afford to buy on a regular basis. Ironically, Hong Kong, which is an external territory of China but nevertheless part of China sells anything imported at some of the lowest prices I've seen anywhere in the world. Australian imported yoghurt barely costs a dime more than in Australia when converted to Aussie currency and Argentinian or Chilean blueberries cost just HK$15 or about US$2 a punnet, compared to US$5+ in mainland China, even for locally produced ones.

However, I've also noticed that Chinese made versions of American, Japanese, Korean or European cars, possibly exactly the same models as in those other markets, i.e. Toyota Corollas and Camrys and Honda Citys etc. are more expensive than the same models sold in the USA, Canada, Australia or other markets even if some of them are imported into those countries (for example Hondas imported into Australia are still cheaper than Chinese manufactured Hondas sold locally). Other items like toys etc. "made in China" are suddenly expensive when sold locally but very cheap when they are dumped at Wal-Mart in the USA, or Target, K-Mart in the USA or Australia etc.

• Like 1

About the F-150 pickup, I haven't seen even one in Thailand, except Lao registered ones temporarily traveling inside THailand usually near the borders with Laos. Of course the main reason is probably because the import taxes would be so huge that your US$28,000 truck would suddenly cost upwards of US$100,000 equivalent in Baht.

In Laos and Cambodia, you can purchase an F-150, a Toyota Tundra or other American "full-size" trucks for a reasonable amount, of course accounting for shipping and some duties but not excessive amounts (perhaps US$50,000-60,000 compared to the US$28,000 list price in the USA). Hence why you see so many of them on the roads there but none in Thailand except for the Lao-registered ones that make it over as just mentioned.

Container is limited to about 16,000 Kg.

You also have local pickup in the US, local delivery in Thailand, processing fees etc.

As far as tax and duty, you are at the whim of the customs department.

A $2,000 Brunswick is a pretty low end table. I'm sure you can get something as good locally for less money.

Also, be advised, anything you pack in a container better be well packed and secure.

Delivery in Thailand on a flat deck is about 10,000 baht for a 3 hour radius. No duties or taxes on second hand personal goods for a Thai citizen with 1 year outside of Thailand.

The table price was only a comparison example. I'm sure the price difference widens on higher end tables.

So far my list is a few jet skis, bbq, bed frames and mattresses, linens, gas range, a few newer pinball games, bar furniture, patio furniture and pool table all purchased barely used on Ebay. Just a basic shipping of $4000 for the container and 75% off the Thai new prices will save me over $10k.

My only concern s what am I missing here as other people don't seem to do the same as my plans but I'm not sure why.

trying reading the thread again - lol .

How will your Thai friend clear your goods tax and duty free? That have recently lived in the states for a year and returned to Thailand?

Yes, 7 years in Canada. For what its worth, the ex wife was in Thailand for the past year and no taxes or duties on anything yet the rules say the Thai must be outside the country for the past year. Maybe the Customs people aren't too hard on this rule provided the goods belong to the importer who is Thai.

In my experience the rule is a Thai must have been living in the country where the shipment originates for a minimum 12 months straight. No frequent returns to Thailand. Strictly enforced + you can't claim tax and duty free privilege 20 years after you returned to Thailand

yup, happened to me last month. Copped a 30,000 baht bill on our household goods as I hadn't been outside of Thailand for a full 12 months.

Sorry, China and Japan....my mistake.

I have come across costco in S.Korea but I have never seen a walmart anywhere in my entire life.

Where are these walmarts?

Walmarts in China are nothing like their counterparts back in the USA. They sell mostly unrecognizable low quality Chinese made crap at not even the lowest prices. While there is an imported food section, I see little reason to call the place "Wal-mart" when it is only a "Wal-mart" in name and nothing else. Many of the imported items aren't even branded as coming from Wal-mart America, but rather they come from all over, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, France, Switzerland, the UK, New Zealand and only a few items even come from America.

Carrefours in China are somewhat better as they have some Carrefour branded products, sell better quality merchandise, more foreign imported products and seem to attract a more middle to lower upper class clientele - whereas Wal-marts attract more upper lower class or the lower middle classes. Even the food sections have so many expired and rotting foods they would embarrass Wal-mart executives in America if they knew about this.

• Like 2

Couple posters here have answered with good information. It's really market economics.

One factor is the shipping for things, especially heavy/large things that are not produced in Thailand.

One factor is the outrageous, archaic and wildly inconsistent import duties (as high as 70% on some items) that customs assess on some goods. Protecting local industry - I think not.

One factor (not to be understated) is similar to the poster who mentioned about there being less customers. That is true, but it is also true that luxury goods here (or just goods not produced in Thailand) are typically for a market of wealthy Thais and or non-Thais who traditionally should have way more than enough money to afford the items. So, it's a sort of classism. Don't forget that the wealthy Thais are stupidly wealthy compared to the non-wealthy. The income gap here is huge.

One major factor is the lack of a middle class in Thailand (something I read about on another thread which I am convinced about). There are essentially two classes in Thailand - wealthy and poor. You could further delineate of course, but the point is that the wealthy can afford the pricey stuff. The poor could never really.

One factor that I think affects things is that Thais, on average, don't seem to be very astute sellers of goods. In the stores, you will find

a good that was imported 2 years ago for a manufacturers suggested retail price of USD 100.00.

with shipping, customs taxes etc., the item may now have cost the shop a total of USD 150 to import (already including the retail price)

now the store needs to make a profit of course, so they mark it up even further to USD 200.00

2 years on, the item in the US is now terribly reduced in price because it's outdated and old. They are selling it in the US for USD 50.

In Thailand, the item is still 4x the price at USD 200.00. When you try to reason with them, they don't care as they would rather not sell the item rather than taking a loss.

Which leads to the last point - FACE. FACE certainly has a role in Thailand market economics.

EDIT to add:

Comparing really any market in the world to the US, you will find this type of variability. There truly is no market like the US market for goods. The market is massive, in a country that is still among the richest in the world, fiercely competitive, and whose products are often coveted not only in the US but also around the world. You can't find all these factors in any other, similarly large country.

Edited by PaullyW
  • Like 2

@OP,

to give you satisfying answers to your question

Why are some things so overpriced in Thailand and others not?

it needs a specific knowledge I don't have.

But let me add some ideas. Hereby I assume out of the context that your question is related to customs.

It's also important to unterstand that the Thai tax "classes" differ from your own country. Here in Thailand there are a "luxory" tax/customs you probably don't know from your home country. Different country, different custom laws, different custom officers!

When shipping my belongings from Germany to Thailand I learnt that the price for the transport didn't depend on the wight but on the volume of the goods, of course with some exceptions. I sold most of my belongings which I could easily replace here in Thailand, except the items with a special personal value.

I guess your question doesn't concern "things overpriced", but the customs to an unsual high or low degree. I'm sure that the amount of the customs for the same item may be variable. That means it depends on the office/rs and where it is/ they are located. Since some years the custom officers are hot to collect as much of customs as possible. Many years ago, I didn't pay customs for some imported special tea or soap, but now.

Do you need exactly

.....furniture (not teak wood stuff), patio sets, barbecues, gas oven ranges.......

Only you are able to decide if thease export items are worthwile for yourself because of personal reasons or if they are replacable at a reasonable price here in T.

BTW, I'm going to import my personal atomic reactor. Only 30% customs on all items - 84.01 of the Thai Tariff Database rolleyes.gif

Edited by puck2

That's because everything is cheap in America; we have Walmart.

Walmart and Costco seem to be everywhere in Asia but Thailand and Philippines for some reason.

The Philippines has SnR Membership Warehouse loads of Kirkland products, not cheap but it's okay.

There are heavy duties levied on Foreign made goods in Thailand, unless its either made in Thailand or the Company in question has a global price policy like Apple for example, then you can end up paying double. Tesco-Lotus charge the same price for 25 Twingings Earl Grey as their UK branches charge for 50. For a Brit that's a fundamental abuse of my human rights but T.I.T

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Many wealthy Thais fly to Singapore to buy designer clothes/bags/watches and so on, they don't want the cheap copy stuff you can buy here.

As for cars, unless you are loaded only buy local produced cars/truck, I do. No way I gonna spend 5 mill baht on a BMW that is only worth 1.5 mill baht.

Fuel is cheap here compared to Denmark, about 1/2 price, don't know about fuel prices in the US?

• Like 1

Someone could set up weekly shipping from Oregon (being tax free) and just fill containers based on prepaid orders for everything from tools, hardware, hobby supplies or anything else not available at a fair price in Thailand.

Someone has already done this -- but they are shipping stuff from China.

I'm not sure if a link to the website is allowed, but it is designed to help people based in Thailand buy stuff off the Chinese version of eBay.

They collate in a warehouse in Guangzhou, then ship over a few times a week.

Somehow they get away without paying duty. ;)

They charge a small fee on top of the cost of the goods to cover shipping and local delivery, depending on what the item is (ie., a piece of apparel, small electronics, etc.).

Many wealthy Thais fly to Singapore to buy designer clothes/bags/watches and so on, they don't want the cheap copy stuff you can buy here.

As for cars, unless you are loaded only buy local produced cars/truck, I do. No way I gonna spend 5 mill baht on a BMW that is only worth 1.5 mill baht.

Fuel is cheap here compared to Denmark, about 1/2 price, don't know about fuel prices in the US?

Gas US$3.59 US Gallon which is 3.8 liters or $.95 per liter or 29 baht per liter.

It is a good first step to see a consensus that prices are generally much higher in Thailand than the US. The second step I hope we can all agree by now is:

it cannot be explained by customs duties and shipping fees

Any skeptics need only do the math. I have and it is why I frequently buy things in the US and ship them to Thailand. After customs and shipping I save a bundle. Sometimes I even have food sent over rather than paying the rip off prices at Villa. To go on a slight tangent my Dad visited me in Thailand and I brought him to Villa to stock up on some groceries. He filled one of their tiny shopping carts and it cost $250. In the US he can fill a regular size shopping cart for $50. And he is a vegetarian.

America is the cheapest country in the world for almost everything.

Prices are a huge shock for most of us when we go to Europe, Australia, etc.

About the F-150 pickup, I haven't seen even one in Thailand, except Lao registered ones temporarily traveling inside THailand usually near the borders with Laos. Of course the main reason is probably because the import taxes would be so huge that your US$28,000 truck would suddenly cost upwards of US$100,000 equivalent in Baht.

In Laos and Cambodia, you can purchase an F-150, a Toyota Tundra or other American "full-size" trucks for a reasonable amount, of course accounting for shipping and some duties but not excessive amounts (perhaps US$50,000-60,000 compared to the US$28,000 list price in the USA). Hence why you see so many of them on the roads there but none in Thailand except for the Lao-registered ones that make it over as just mentioned.

^^ Absolute horse s**t

Interesting thread.

On an industrial level, we find that one of the biggest factors in pricing is the selection of local (Thai) distributor. We buy a lot of industrial goods for our operation. There are a few big companies here that are the Thai distributors for a lot of different product lines.

Over the years, we have learned that, if XYZ is the local Thai distribution company, the price will be prohibitive and we will either order from a US (or UK, or Singaporean) distributor and pay their price plus shipping and taxes. Or we'll order a different brand, even if it's not the first choice.

If ABC is the local Thai distributor, the price is going to be reasonable and we'll order through them.

And then there are hundreds of smaller Thai distribution companies, too many to draw conclusions about them without a lot of wasted effort.

It's unfortunate, really that a lot of foreign companies don't really stand a chance of developing a Thai market for their products, simply because of their selection for local representation.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

If you want to feel good

go online and look at used car prices in USA

porsche boxter 2010 for 30,000 $

!!!

You are spot on. +1

I wanted to buy a BMW cabriolet 320 in London at 2500 pounds. The car was year 2002 and the same car sells for 800,000 Baht minimum in Thailand. Go figure.

A Porsche 911 was also on my shopping list in London. Year 1999 for 4000 pounds and what a beauty.

I'm not American. And I'm not complaining...I'm asking why something that costs $2000 in the US is 140,000 baht in Thailand. Even taking into account bulk shipping rates (maybe $200 for the pool table) and VAT, why the disparity? If someone said it was because a pool table is a "luxury good" then why are some other luxury goods priced in line with US prices plus shipping and VAT?

I emailed the pool table dealer for an explanation. If in fact its just opportunity, then why would someone not set up a mail order import business to take advantage of these price differences? Are Thai people not motivated to make money when they see these types of opportunities?

doesn't American tools run on 120 volts

???

• Like 1

America is the cheapest country in the world for almost everything.

Prices are a huge shock for most of us when we go to Europe, Australia, etc.

Your are certainly right about the cheap costs of almost everything in US.

But even if Europe is more expensive, it is not as bad as Thailand. When I went home with the GF for the first time, she ran around the supermarkets like Alice in Wonderland, because everthing was so cheap. If I didn't stop her, she would have bought the whole shop.

But even most of Asia is cheaper than here. Comparing supermarkets in Thailand and Malaysia, groceries there are roughly 50% what you pay in Thailand. Imports are sometimes similar priced as in TH, but many things are easily 20-30% cheaper too, even wine.

The only country in the region which matches Thai prices is Singapore. Even Japan often has cheaper prices than Thailand especially for imports.

So what are the reasons?

In Europe/US etc., prices not only depend of what you pay for the products, but to a bigger part depend of rent and wages.

Rent and wages are expensive in the US and Europe and even more so in Japan. Rent may be expensive too in Bangkok, but wages are neglectable. Which basically means, the profits here are much higher than in the West. Especially when taking into account that the 20-30% strengthening of the Thai Baht in the recent years didn't reflect at all in the the prices. They were simply cashed in.