which airlines do u take when flying domestically?

snake24

i was thinking maybe a budget airline would be better since it's just at the most an hour's flight from one region of thailand to the next.

i can only think of nok or airasia.

The other 2 airlines that aren't budget would be bkk airways and thai airways,

Your thoughts guys

Fly from phuket to bkk 2 or 3 times a month.

In all honesty just get the best deal with whatever airline at the time i need to go.

Have been on them all many times and for an hours flight really is not that much difference in quality to stick one airline.

Unless of course go BC then not only choosing the airline but also the plane type plays a major part of the decision as there can be wide differences in comfort depending on the type and age of the plane.

sorry what does bc mean?

Nok Air.

Much better website and business style than Air Asia. Not the hidden rip-offs.

Yes, sometimes Thai companies can be better than foreign.

"Not the hidden rip-offs." cheesy.gif

It always amazes me that some travelers seem to have so much difficulty is declining or accepting the few options offered.

Individual baggage weight

Seating position selection

food/drinks

trip insurance

Obviously they are all "rip offs" ........ and each one is really cunningly hidden. passifier.gif

Nok Air is fine also.

Edited by tig28
  • Like 2

It depends on a number of factors for me, when I was back in the UK I flew BA all the time on Domestic & European routes, I never had the luxury of being able to book 3 months ahead of time & their day of departures fares where (& probably still are) equal if not better than the likes of EasyJet & Ryanair, the fact they flew to the main airport, fed you & threw in air miles sealed the deal, especially as those air miles were used to pay for my tickets out here. In Thailand its a bit different, TG have a use them or loose them policy on their air miles so I never rack up enough miles in time for too many free flights so I tend to just go with whomever has the best fare, I still only ever book on the day & prefer those using Swampy to DM simply because its closer to our apartment.

flyorienthai is thai airways low cost airline, previously 12go I think, not much destinations, but good schedules for me, better price than nok and airasia, good service, and the price you get from the beginning is the final cost, nok air adds taxes later and it can be misleading sometimes

Nok Air.

I have only flown Air Asia one time, and have to say that everything was fine except for one detail. I had my carryon weighed when I left Bangkok, and they said it was within the limits, no problem. On my return from Hanoi, the clerk told me I was 12 pounds overweight, but she would let me go this time. Next time she would charge me more. I returned only with the clothes that I took with me, and I don't think they accumulated 12 pounds of dirt on them. Very strange. I knew I was okay because I weighted it before I even left home.

I distrust AirAsia. My logic is thus.

1. The CEO's slogan is 'cost is the enemy.'

2. Aircraft maintenance costs money.

3. Therefore aircraft maintenance is the enemy.

I have no proof that they are unsafe - I don't even know it to be true. It just seems consistent.

OrientThai is in no way part of THAI. It is a low cost carrier with a rather chequered history on safety. No way would I use it. They had an emergency landing last week on a flight from HK and a few years ago killed many in a crash at Phuket. I value my life too much to use dubious carriers and am happy to pay a little more for safety and convenience.

If you want to fly in an old plane with pilots with poor command of English, the language of ATC, and questionable qualifications then buy the cheapest. Up to you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

you are right about the wrong connection with thai airways, my mistake

about safety records, 89 deaths in an airline with so few planes will maintain it as unsafe for more than a decade, statistics work this way

I read about their emergency landing in surat thani, no big deal for me, emergency landings ending happyly are not the sort of things that make me distrust ... problems ocurr everywhere, final resolution is what counts for me

anyway I understand your point of view perfectly smile.png

Nok Air.

I have only flown Air Asia one time, and have to say that everything was fine except for one detail. I had my carryon weighed when I left Bangkok, and they said it was within the limits, no problem. On my return from Hanoi, the clerk told me I was 12 pounds overweight, but she would let me go this time. Next time she would charge me more. I returned only with the clothes that I took with me, and I don't think they accumulated 12 pounds of dirt on them. Very strange. I knew I was okay because I weighted it before I even left home.

Even stranger, they quote and weigh in Kilos. A pound would make no sense to them at all.

Totally agree about NokAir though. The headline price shown is what you pay but Air Asia advertise flights at silly prices which is not how much it costs because of the hidden fees/charges.

Nok Air.

Even stranger, they quote and weigh in Kilos. A pound would make no sense to them at all.

Totally agree about NokAir though. The headline price shown is what you pay but Air Asia advertise flights at silly prices which is not how much it costs because of the hidden fees/charges.

If u watched pulp fiction they would have told you they use the metric system over in thailand. In fact i think only pounds are used in the US and UK.

I usually use Thai Smile (part of TG) from BKK to Udon Thani - new A320s, pleasant interiors and flight attendant uniforms. Online reservations with E Tickets are easy. As I can use my Star alliance Gold card we can check and board in quicker and use the TG lounge flying Y class. Not the cheapest.

If I am out of the country and my GF flies by herself she uses Nok Air (part of TG too). As she does not have a credit card she books by phone, then pays at the nearest 7-11 and gets a equivalent e ticket receipt. Very quick and efficient, cheaper than Thai Smile. DMK is easier to access than BKK from where we life.

I have been in the aviation industry all of my working life and would not fly with the real cheapies like Orient Thai and1,2 GO (are they still in business?). Read the report of the 1,2 GO MD-82 accident at Phuket a few years ago if you need any convincing.

I distrust AirAsia. My logic is thus. 1. The CEO's slogan is 'cost is the enemy.' 2. Aircraft maintenance costs money. 3. Therefore aircraft maintenance is the enemy. I have no proof that they are unsafe - I don't even know it to be true. It just seems consistent.

I have to agree with that, after watching the Apprentice, it was clear that the CEO of Air Asia isn't the sharpest tool in the shed! Really I have flown all of the above to many places in LOS, for convenience its Thai airways and for budget its Nok air.

flyorienthai is thai airways low cost airline, previously 12go I think, not much destinations, but good schedules for me, better price than nok and airasia, good service, and the price you get from the beginning is the final cost, nok air adds taxes later and it can be misleading sometimes

Thai Smile is the LCC of Thai Airways and it has taken over most of TG's domestic routes. The advantage is that one has the benefit of TG's services and FF accrual. OrientThai IMO is an airline best avoided, unless one has nothing to lose.

TG has an investment in NOK. NOK, is by far superior to Air Asia when it comes to customer service. It offers competitive prices too.

I flew DMK-Krabi a couple months ago, I had booked an extra baggage allowance for myself, and the checkin person had an argument with me when she tried to charge me for being overweight. I fortunately, had my receipt for the extra 5g allowance as it didn't show in the FD system. With FD, consider your airfare lost if you have to cancel or change your ticket, whereas NOK is more accommodating. NOK has transparent pricing, Air Asia does not. The online ticket purchase with FD is set up such that it is difficult to fully price an airfare, or worse to purchase unnecessary options like insurance.

Go with NOK Air and be assured of a hassle free flight.

What is the advantage of booking through Thai Smile instead of through Thai Airways? I made a trial run, initiating a phantom booking (Bangkok - Phuket one way), and it resulted in offers for the same Thai Airways flights for the same prices. Not impressively cheap.

Edited by keestha

I flew from Bangkok to Chiang Rai years ago, decided to give Air Asia a go. Their flight was leaving about 30 minutes before a Thai Airways flight and they were about 850 baht cheaper.

Cost me 850 baht for excess baggage which Thai Airways would not have charged me for and the flight was delayed 30 minutes. Have used them again a couple of times since then and always something has happened like flights cancelled or delayed.

12GO was a joke, was once delayed 3 hours in Bangkok on a 1 hour flight to Chiang Rai.

I use bangkok airways whenever I can. Their fares are usually no more expensive than air Asia and a lot less than Thai. Service is great and generally on time. Their Flyerbonus scheme is great - buy 10 flights, get 1 free - that is better than any other airline I know.