Thinking about coming to Pattaya for 3 months

rideswings

Hi forum. I am thinking about coming to Pattaya for 3 months starting in September. I just had a few questions for the locals to see if these amenities are available.

Does Pattaya have a beach suitable for swimming that's not too dirty? I have been to Cha Am, Hua Hin, Phuket and most of the islands, and those are all ok, but I have never been to Pattaya beach.

Does Pattaya have short term (3 month) leases on condos and if so, what are the chances of getting my deposit back? I rented a condo in Chiang Mai, and in the end, they stole most of the money claiming damages for 3000 baht that were there when I moved in, and a 2800 baht electric bill when all I used was the fan the final month.

Does Pattaya have a radio control flying field for model aircraft? And possibly a radio control car/offroad track? I love my little radio control hobbies, and it would be nice to have some places to play with them. Chiang Mai has an awesome flying field, Top Gun, and I will miss not flying there. Chiang Mai also has 700 Year Park that has a concrete racing car track and a nice pit area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya have many beaches, some better than others. Some people use the downtown beach but I personally wouldn't. Nearby Jomtien beach is quite popular, and there are many nice beaches on the islands, an hour's and 30 baht ferry-hop away. If you have transportation there are many nice beaches in Rayong, about an hours drive away.

Generally condos are available in 12 months leases, but there are always exceptions, particularly now in the low season. It's always a gamble if you will get your deposit back so I would try to negotiate a low deposit that could be written off, or perhaps offer a full 3 months payment against no deposit. Or just move into one of the thousand guesthouses available - they're generally better located and equally priced.

Pattaya has at least one model aircraft field, I think it's here - Google Maps link. They used to fly there late afternoons, usually every day and certainly weekends but it's been a while since I went there so I don't know if it's still active.

• Like 1

Generally condos are available in 12 months leases, but there are always exceptions, particularly now in the low season. It's always a gamble if you will get your deposit back so I would try to negotiate a low deposit that could be written off, or perhaps offer a full 3 months payment against no deposit.

I dont think there is any shortage at all of places that will accept tenants for one month or three. You can easily rent condos here by the day also. However it is probably a waste of time trying to do this via farang estate agents. You have to get on your bike and visit a few buildings, especially the ones that have Thai agents on the premises.

Do they charge for beach chairs at Jomtien? I know Phuket can be 100-200 baht for a day and Hua Hin is 100

Do people really pay that much? Amazing.

Last time I used a beach chair here it was 30B, or free if you buy drinks/food.

Usually Mrs Conners deals with the vendors when we rarely visit a beach. I think the price is 20-40 baht or so per chair, but I would not be surprised if some would try to charge 100 baht or more, particularly if someone looks like a first time tourist wink.png

Yes 40 baht per chair is normal. Another place I go to swim is in Na Jomtien (South of Jomtien not far) which is MUCH cleaner to swim at and a couple of decent places to eat. Beach chairs are at the condos on the beach and if you just buy some water etc. they don't mind you using them or same with the restaurants.

That air flying club is about 4 kilos up soi khaonoi and yes I believe they are still operating Phil (I couldn't get your Google map to see).

Good idea to rent a guest house and then look around for a condo for sure.

PS: I wouldn't swim in the actual Pattaya beach if Dinosaurs were chasing me in. I would sooner they eat me.

• Like 1

Pattaya beach... no way I would swim in that sewer. And it is literally a sewer. Google around and see for yourself.

Jomtien beach... anyone have the photo from a few weeks ago with the black sewer leak pouring into the water? While parts of it are cleaner than others, it is also a sewer dump. Literally.

IMHO, Hua Hin and Pkuket have much cleaner beaches. I won't swim in the water around Pattaya. Seen too many spills, raw sewer pipe leaks, and garbage dumped into it.

Edited by PoodMaiDai
  • Like 1

pace yourself ( fun and money wise) so you don't get burnt out too soon.

Maybe good advice. I have lived in Udon, Phuket and Chiang Mai. Does the money tend to "slip away" faster in Pattaya? I hope not. haha

My major vice is not women or booze, its radio control models. It might not be as good as sex, but it sure lasts longer anc costs less in the long run.

Edited by rideswings
  • Like 1

there is a least 3 RC plane/helo places on east side of Pattaya, one is up end of Soi Khao Noi, another next to the sports center and was another up elephant farm rd...the latter 2 actually having a bit of a tarmac strip ...these just seem to be allocated land that people with no other facilities ..

There is also a RC off-road/buggy track and boat place eastside Pattaya , i had a watch one day and they seem to be serious enthusiasts ? ...

do a specific google and you will find full info on location as it too hard to explain where these places are..

re condos... its a renters market !! could just get "room" on east side of patts for about 4-5k all in /month

Edited by William Osborne
  • Like 1

there is a least 3 RC plane/helo places on east side of Pattaya, one is up end of Soi Khao Noi, another next to the sports center and was another up elephant farm rd...the latter 2 actually having a bit of a tarmac strip ...

There is also a RC off-road/buggy and boat place eastside Pattaya , i had a watch one day and they seem to be serious enthusiasts ? ...

do a specific google and you will find full info on location as it too hard to explain where these places are..

re condos... its a renters market !! could just get "room" on east side of patts for about 4-5k all in /month

Ah you just made my day! haha I remember seeing that RC car/boat place on Youtube but I thought it was not still open. It had a huge offroad track.

I would love to get a room for a short time, but maybe a condo would be better. My toys take up alot of space by themselves.

Thanks so much for the information!

Pattaya beach... no way I would swim in that sewer. And it is literally a sewer. Google around and see for yourself.

Jomtien beach... anyone have the photo from a few weeks ago with the black sewer leak pouring into the water? While parts of it are cleaner than others, it is also a sewer dump. Literally.

IMHO, Hua Hin and Pkuket have much cleaner beaches. I won't swim in the water around Pattaya. Seen too many spills, raw sewer pipe leaks, and garbage dumped into it.

"Seen too many spills, raw sewer pipe leaks, and garbage dumped into it."

My life certainly seems uneventful compared to yours.

• Like 1

Maybe good advice. I have lived in Udon, Phuket and Chiang Mai. Does the money tend to "slip away" faster in Pattaya? I hope not. haha

My major vice is not women or booze, its radio control models. It might not be as good as sex, but it sure lasts longer anc costs less in the long run.

It's all up to you but you seems to enjoy the radio control models which is probably wise, the hmm other models can quickly drain your money if you fall for the : I love only you thing and they move in.

The radio models also do what they are told/controlled and don't fly off in the night or having a sick mother up North that need +50.000 baht for hospital or she dies.

Many things to do in Pattaya besides night life and own transportation will make life good/easy but you are a Thai veteran so you know all that already.

It's all up to you but you seems to enjoy the radio control models which is probably wise, the hmm other models can quickly drain your money if you fall for the : I love only you thing and they move in.

The radio models also do what they are told/controlled and don't fly off in the night or having a sick mother up North that need +50.000 baht for hospital or she dies.

Many things to do in Pattaya besides night life and own transportation will make life good/easy but you are a Thai veteran so you know all that already.

I have been down that road, thats why its model hobbies for me now...

You do know that Comp-Arfs are manufactured in Chonburi province, right? Some of the finest composite RC air frames on the planet. Although the price tags are not for the faint of heart!!!

http://www.carf-models.com/public_carf/pages/

• Like 1

You do know that Comp-Arfs are manufactured in Chonburi province, right? Some of the finest composite RC air frames on the planet. Although the price tags are not for the faint of heart!!!

http://www.carf-models.com/public_carf/pages/

Looks like they make some nice planes. Some of those can really add up after engine and electronics.

One of three outfalls on Jomtien Beach.

BW.

post-111485-0-24585000-1376182240_thumb.

Edited by bigwilly
  • Like 2

One of three outfalls on Jomtien Beach.

BW.

Can I ask about how far from Pattaya this beach is??? It looks awesome!