Traveling on the second year of retirement visa?...

I will be receiving a 1 year multiple entry Non-Immigrant O-A Retirement visa in my home country (Chicago Consul)...

It is my understanding the if a few days before the one year validity expires I can exit and re-enter the country - It this point immigration will give me an entry stamp good for one year (Essentially a second year)...

My question is during that if I wish to travel out of the country during that second year can I get a re-entry permit ($1,000B) and use that to keep the second year stamp in intact?

Edited by sfokevin

Wish it were so easy....I have a retirement visa and aside from reporting to immigration my address every 90 days, before the year is up I have to renew it for another year. Regarding the renewal you have to show all the same requirements that you did in the beginning to get the visa ....ie...800,000 baht in a Thai bank account (3 months) or 65,000/income.

In your scenario if you leave the country and return just before your visa expires you will only get a 30 day visa on arrival NOT another year renewal.

You are correct. Do a border run just before the Visa expires and you will get another 12 months.

During the second year you need a Re Entry Permit if you intend to travel outside Thailand.

1,000 Baht for a single and 3,800 for a Multi

The Re Entry Permit will keep your stay alive.

Don't forget to report to Immigration every 90 days.

Wish it were so easy....I have a retirement visa and aside from reporting to immigration my address every 90 days, before the year is up I have to renew it for another year. Regarding the renewal you have to show all the same requirements that you did in the beginning to get the visa ....ie...800,000 baht in a Thai bank account (3 months) or 65,000/income.

In your scenario if you leave the country and return just before your visa expires you will only get a 30 day visa on arrival NOT another year renewal.

Not true!

You either arrived on a non immigrant O visa, which allows you to enter and receive 90 days, which you then extend to 1 year in country at immigration, or on a single entry non immigrant O-A, in which case you get a 1 year entry stamp only once, followed by extensions done at immigration in-country.

90 day reporting indeed required for any foreigner staying more then 90 days in Thailand without leaving. In the case of a non immigrant O-A, the clock starts counting from the day you enter, and you report in a window of 14 days before till 7 days after the 90 day spot.

The OP arrives on a multiple entry non immigrant O-A (which means his financials have been checked back home, along with police clearance and medical check up).

In his case, for the duration of the validity of his visa (1 year starting from issuing the visa) he can leave and enter as he pleases, and will receive a full years stay at each entry, counting from the day he enters. Including if he enters just 1 day before the validity of his visa expires.

And indeed, if he wishes to travel after his visa validity expires,he will need a re-entry permit (1000 Baht single, 3,800 Baht multiple) to make sure he does not lose his last 1 year stay.

• Like 1

I stand corrected....

Not being snarky, but the post with the misinformation should be edited or removed.

People, especially newbies, who come here for information and get a series of conflicting, often misleading posts in response to fairly straight forward questions may not know which messages are posted by people who know what they are writing about and which are written by people who seem to have misunderstood the question or are just plain wrong.

• Like 1

But this is a forum and removal of information results in a loss of context. In almost all cases false information is corrected by later posts; as it should be, and often this answers others who might have the same wrong idea.

• Like 2

So if you leave Thailand, whether on a border run or fly back to your country, and re-enter Thailand while the first year of your multiple-entry non-OA is still in effect, then with the new entry stamp acquired either by doing a border run or returning back to Thailand from your home country before your visa expires will give you a second year?

So if you leave Thailand, whether on a border run or fly back to your country, and re-enter Thailand while the first year of your multiple-entry non-OA is still in effect, then with the new entry stamp acquired either by doing a border run or returning back to Thailand from your home country before your visa expires will give you a second year?

Yes - can confirm this on the basis of personal experience 4 years ago when I returned to Thailand from a trip back to the UK the day before my multi-entry O-A visa expired and was stamped in for a further year.