MTB trails in Chonburi ?

Nakonamath

H guys

i Find it quite hard to figure out where to ride, i talked with the bike shop where i bought the MTB, he said, he would not want me to go alone and explore different places, there are dangers, just like shotgun pig traps, and other shit, which i dont have any clue about.

I read about Khao Kheow trails, some say it is open other say it is not, ?

Are there some clubs / get-together where i can sign up for a ridealong ?

Jack

bangsaen

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the trails, but in my experience you will have to scout the trails yourself, or let fellow mountain bikers in your area perhaps show you a few. It's the same thing even here in Chiang Mai, which is sort of the MTB capital of Thailand. Most Thai mountain bikers never leave the roads and there are no official or commercial maps with any trails on them. The best thing to do is bring a GPS and -if there are any villagers around- ask them about the trails, because they are probably the only ones who know them. Thai city slickers tend to exaggerate the dangers of the forest greatly. Seriously, shotgun pig traps? Sounds like a tale they tell kids and foreigners to keep them out.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the trails, but in my experience you will have to scout the trails yourself, or let fellow mountain bikers in your area perhaps show you a few. It's the same thing even here in Chiang Mai, which is sort of the MTB capital of Thailand. Most Thai mountain bikers never leave the roads and there are no official or commercial maps with any trails on them. The best thing to do is bring a GPS and -if there are any villagers around- ask them about the trails, because they are probably the only ones who know them. Thai city slickers tend to exaggerate the dangers of the forest greatly. Seriously, shotgun pig traps? Sounds like a tale they tell kids and foreigners to keep them out.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Hi, well yes what you say is more less what i come to aswell, i have found some information about our nearby mountains, i will try go there alone.

about the pig traps, i did see a thread where a trap was pictured by an australian who had set 1 off, by crossing into a private property. home made shotgun thing.

however, im not going into the deep forest like that, ( yet )

i talked with 2 thai mtb guy, but they give confusing advice about where to go, and i dont want to be a burden and ask them to take me there, so i will try on my own then

Jack

Don't worry about the traps. I've been hiking and biking in Northern Thailand for several years now and never came across any. I saw plenty of evidence for poaching, mostly empty bullet casing, but the poachers would neither leave a valuable gun in the forest, nor would they set traps on trail frequented by people. Your number one problem in the jungle is to avoid getting lost, keeping hydrated, and -if you are on a bike- avoiding injuries from falling or running into stuff.

The danger from animals is quite small. I've seen plate-sized spiders, scorpions, and dangerous vipers, but none of them are usually in the mood to mess with a mountain biker. My only real enemy is the mosquito, and perhaps the occasional aggressive dog. The worst damage I've sustained so far was bee sting (besides the usual bruises and cuts of course). biggrin.png

So, by all means go out and boldly seek new trails where no mountain biker has gone before (star trek theme playing). wink.png And don't forget to post your GPS tracks afterwards.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Edited by chiangmaiexpat

Don't worry about the traps. I've been hiking and biking in Northern Thailand for several years now and never came across any. I saw plenty of evidence for poaching, mostly empty bullet casing, but the poachers would neither leave a valuable gun in the forest, nor would they set traps on trail frequented by people. Your number one problem in the jungle is to avoid getting lost, keeping hydrated, and -if you are on a bike- avoiding injuries from falling or running into stuff.

The danger from animals is quite small. I've seen plate-sized spiders, scorpions, and dangerous vipers, but none of them are usually in the mood to mess with a mountain biker. My only real enemy is the mosquito, and perhaps the occasional aggressive dog. The worst damage I've sustained so far was bee sting (besides the usual bruises and cuts of course). biggrin.png

So, by all means go out and boldly seek new trails where no mountain biker has gone before (star trek theme playing). wink.png And don't forget to post your GPS tracks afterwards.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Cool, he he

How do i track the gps ? i use Iphone, i dont have a Garmin on the bike.

I tried to find some MTB apps for it, and hoped i could find a way to load GPX files into it but i gave up and guess i just need to use google maps.

Jesper

use map my ride, strava or any of a number of hiking and bikig realated apps for android and iphone

fyi dont know if it is still opn but here is a loop in khao keow

http://www.actionsportasia.com/land-sports/cycling-in-thailand/where-to-go/mountain-biking-in-chonburi.html

Cool

and i found this facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/thainoodle/

they have the information i was after,

Jack

Have you checked out thaimtb.com?

Well yes, however, i cant read thai, google translate, cant translate the forum, and i tried to make an account, but when i press signup, i return to the frontpage.

i can say www.actionsportasia.com, i got advice from there, they are really nice and helpfull !! + i found a MTB singletrack group on facebook ! " single track thailand "

very helpfull guys inthere !

Thanks for your help so far, i think it seals the deal, i just wait for little dry weather.

Jack

There are trails for Khao Kheow and Chonburi in the archives of the Bangkok Hash House Bikers (also have a look in the pre-2010 archives). But it could be a real adventure riding these trails alone and finding out if they still exists smile.png

The shotgun traps are no fairy tale! Have a look here for an example. Its good to know that such things exist, but i wouldn't worry too much about them.

Generally spoken its always dificult to find good trails in your area. Go out and explore your area. Take enough water with you, spare tubes and some basic tools, mobile phone, etc. and have fun smile.png

There are trails for Khao Kheow and Chonburi in the archives of the Bangkok Hash House Bikers (also have a look in the pre-2010 archives). But it could be a real adventure riding these trails alone and finding out if they still exists smile.png

The shotgun traps are no fairy tale! Have a look here for an example. Its good to know that such things exist, but i wouldn't worry too much about them.

Generally spoken its always dificult to find good trails in your area. Go out and explore your area. Take enough water with you, spare tubes and some basic tools, mobile phone, etc. and have fun smile.png

Great advice.

I just wen to Khao Mai Kheow today with 2 other guys, this was an adventure for sure !! the trail was too hard for me, as this was my first time, my god !

+ i didn't prepare enough from home, but you need to learn the hard way, besides that i had a great time, Paul and Jack helped me a lot i appreciate it more than i can express.

Trail stats here

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/361548983

• Like 1

! the trail was too hard for me, as this was my first time, my god ! + i didn't prepare enough from home, but you need to learn the hard way

Crashed?

No no, just harder than expected ! loose beach sand in the end of fast downhills, rocks around the corner, blocked roads, rivers to pass, ALOT of fun, but i should have started with a less complicated track, i had cramps in my legs stiff like wood, and near blackout when we returned..

but next time im better prepared :-)