Planning On Buying A Used Car

tuffy

We are planning on moving to Thailand in May and are looking for a good place (if one exists) to buy a used vehicle.

Any place between BKK and Rayong will work. We are looking for a SUV bigger than a Honda CRV.

Any tips on what we should look out for. What is the most common scam in the used car business.

We are planning on moving to Thailand in May and are looking for a good place (if one exists) to buy a used vehicle.

Any place between BKK and Rayong will work. We are looking for a SUV bigger than a Honda CRV.

Any tips on what we should look out for. What is the most common scam in the used car business.

Have you seen the way that Thais drive? Are you mad? :o

Seriously, from what I can see, regular maintenance is not exactly a high priority for your average Thai vehicle owner. There are many used car dealers in the Pattaya area and, quite frankly, I would not trust any one of them. You will never know the true history of the vehicle that you are buying - has it been in a serious accident? - has it been thrashed? - is it a stolen vehicle? Unlike the European or US scenario, the buyer has very little protection here.

You should maybe consider that 2nd hand vehicles in Thailand are relatively expensive - if you can stump up a bit of extra cash it's much better to buy a new vehicle. Here, you do not tend to lose 25% of the value as soon as you drive the car off the garage forecourt. Manufacturers' warranties here are usually very good - 3 years or lots of km.

As an alternative, consider getting a used vehicle from a franchised dealer - that way, at least, the warranty that you get might mean something.

DM

What is the most common scam in the used car business.

Look at what are the most common scams in the used car business in your own country, and apply the same caution in Thailand.

Could be a bit different in Thailand.

Most of those brand new cars (other than commercial and battered pickup trucks) that cause traffic jams are on a 3 years lease. After that, I guess, Thais hand them over and get new ones.

It's about this time 3 years ago that I noticed the deluge of new corollas in the streets and roads. Once, in a shopping mall, there were 4 identical parked around me, could not guess which one was mine.

If not already, that first cut is going back to the leasing companies about now. I can only guess, the leasors were under some obligation to service them and accident history would be known?

Maybe, checking those sites if they are open for resale?

You want an SUV bigger than a CRV .....

Toyota Sportrider is big.

I'm not sure of the second hand prices but they should be competitive as The Toyota Fortuner has brushed aside all in it's Path in the Big affordable SUV market, paving the way for the older Toyota Sportrider to come onto the market at a good price.

I am not sure that my wife (Thai) can get us guarentted through her father for financing on a new vehicle. I thought it would be easier and cheaper to buy a second hand car when we get to Thailand.

I am actually quite leary abotu buying a used vehicle for the reasons that have been mentioned above.

We are looking for something that will carry us and our big dog as well, so we are looking at the medium sized SUv's right now. I would like to buy something for around 1,000,000 baht

When I moved to Thailand last year, I really wanted to buy a used vehicle and save some cash. A month of looking at second hand cars soon disabused me of that idea. The prices on used cars are ridiculously high, as is the risk of buying a vehicle with an unknown history and unreliable odometer reading. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

So I went down to my local Toyota dealer and bought a new car. Financing is very easy in Thailand. If you can put down 15% to 25%, you can probably get financing, especially if the car is registered to a Thai. I bought my car with 15% down, registered the vehicle in my wife's name, and they gave her a loan for the balance, even though the monthly payments exceeded her income as a teacher in a government school. One of the legacies of Thaksinomics is that credit is very loose in this country, and people are encouraged to take on way more debt than they can afford. Rather than worry about financing, you'll probably hear "Khun Tuffy, what will it take to put you in this brand new Fortuner today?"

I am not sure that my wife (Thai) can get us guarentted through her father for financing on a new vehicle. I thought it would be easier and cheaper to buy a second hand car when we get to Thailand.

I am actually quite leary abotu buying a used vehicle for the reasons that have been mentioned above.

We are looking for something that will carry us and our big dog as well, so we are looking at the medium sized SUv's right now. I would like to buy something for around 1,000,000 baht

If you have 1 million baht to spend, then buy a new Fortuner.

The Fortuner is one of the ones we are looking at. Is it better to get a gas or diesel? Are they available without four wheel drive? How are they on gas mileage?

Diesel is obviously much better. No-brainer, in fact. Diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline, diesel engines are more powerful (and higher torque, especially) than the gasoline engine offered in the Fortuner, they last a lot longer and therefor keep their value better. Diesel even smells better. :o

Also, yet again, second hand cars aren't 'rediculously high priced'. Their actual value is higher than the same vehicle of the same age in a Western country and I'm not going to explain it again.

Then, yet again(2):

"Seriously, from what I can see, regular maintenance is not exactly a high priority for your average Thai vehicle owner."

Jesus F.C. on a stick!

We are now considering a 4 door pickup. Toyota or Isuzu. They look like a pretty decent outfit and nicely equipped new for around B750,000 (4x2). Any body have anything bad to say about these?

Try Andy at Expat Motors www.expatmotors.co.th He is a Brit who has been helping expats to buy vehicles in LOS for 8 years or more. First class service.

Cheers.

Fully agree.

We have now bought three cars through Expat Motors and their service was excellent.

> We are now considering a 4 door pickup. Toyota or Isuzu. They look like a pretty decent

> outfit and nicely equipped new for around B750,000 (4x2). Any body have anything bad

> to say about these?

None. Except that with 4x2 and rear wheel drive, it's remarkably easy to get stuck in a muddy or sandy patch. 4x4 doesn't add *that* much cost. (Actually 750K for 4 door 4x4 seems about right? Perhaps 780 or 790 or so, but surely not higher unless you go for leather seats and all?)

Hey Tuffy.....That could have been my post! ....are we a twin or what?:o

Me and my wife are moving to thailand too...but at the end of the year.

And guess what? We're looking at a used Honda CR-V between BKK and Rayong also...because our new home will be in Rayong. My wife family thought it would be better for us to buy from the autorized Honda dealers in BKK. If we can't find a good used one, we will probably have to go for the new.

Good luck with your search

Edited by BKK90210

Hey Tuffy.....That could have been my post! ....are we a twin or what?:o

Me and my wife are moving to thailand too...but at the end of the year.

And guess what? We're looking at a used Honda CR-V between BKK and Rayong also...because our new home will be in Rayong. My wife family thought it would be better for us to buy from the autorized Honda dealers in BKK. If we can't find a good used one, we will probably have to go for the new.

Good luck with your search

Hey BKK90210 I will let you know how the search goes but we may just go with new as well. I would never stop kicking myself if i go cheap and end up with a lemon. I just hate the loss a guy takes when you drive off the new showroom floor. It sounds like it is not quite as bad as in the states but it is still a bummer.

We are moving to Sattahip, in a few weeks now, so it won't be long and we will be looking for a set of wheels. My wife's sister bought a new car last year and they ended up going to Surin (home town) to buy because they could get a better interest rate on their loan. It sounded like a full % point or better than Rayong or Bkk.

I would prefer to buy local to where i will be living but i will have to chase that interest rate rat as well when we get over there. :D