Thai Democrats to explain amnesty bill issues to foreign diplomats

webfact

POLITICS
Democrats to explain amnesty bill issues to diplomats

The Nation

30212411-01_big.jpg
Chavanond

Say they will provide copies of warnings by a UN agency, HRW about govt's moves

BANGKOK: -- The opposition Democrat Party will submit an open letter to foreign diplomats and international organisations in Thailand, highlighting opposition by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and Human Rights Watch to an amnesty bill being deliberated by Parliament, party spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut said yesterday.

A spokesperson for the OHCHR last week said the bill could grant amnesty to people involved in abuses during the military crackdown on anti-government protesters in 2010. The agency urged the Yingluck government not to allow serious human-rights offenders to go unpunished, while Human Rights Watch called on lawmakers to exclude perpetrators of abuses and instead make them accountable for their crimes.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has instructed party-list MP Kasit Piromya, party deputy leader Korn Chatikavanij and party-list MP Kiat Sittheeamorn to meet foreign diplomats and international organisations to hand them the open letters carrying the message against the amnesty bill from the two agencies, Chavanond said.

He said the party would have the Truth for Reconciliation Commission of Thailand (TRCT)'s reports and the National Human Rights Commission's reports translated into English and submitted to foreign diplomats and agencies to provide them with full and complete information on the 2010 political riots.

The Yingluck government had failed to provide such full information, he said.

Meanwhile, Green Politics coordinator Suriyasai Katasila criticised the government's reform council, pointing out five weaknesses surrounding the move.

He said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who initiated the council, lacks leadership. Those who agreed to join the council favoured the regime of ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra and played a key role in establishing a failed political system. The government failed to show sincerity by withdrawing all amnesty and reconciliation bills from Parliament's list sfor debate, as demanded by anti-government groups, which suspect the bills are aimed to help Thaksin and his cronies.

Suriyasai said the government had failed to allow public participation in her administration and the move to reform politics would be doomed to fail as long as the "Thaksin regime" is in power, claiming that it interferes in the justice system and independent agencies.

Pheu Thai Party MP Anusorn Iamsa-ard attacked the Democrat Party over the move to submit open letters to foreign diplomats, saying the opposition was only playing politics for its own interest without heeding the plight of the people.

"They have never looked at political victims and are trying to block the move to grant amnesty to the people by submitting open letters to diplomats.

"We are confused if the opposition sees foreign agencies as being more important than our people,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-12

"Pheu Thai Party MP Anusorn Iamsa-ard attacked the Democrat Party over the move to submit open letters to foreign diplomats, saying the opposition was only playing politics for its own interest without heeding the plight of the people."

Yes...That's what politicians do. They play politics. You don't hear doctors being criticized for playing medicine, or chefs playing cooking, or teachers playing teaching. And, what is Anusorn playing when he makes such a statement. Politics!!! I am sure he made this statement while only being concerned about "heeding the plight of the people".wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

• Like 2

Do they think that foreign embassies are not aware of the implications of amnesty?

Does Abhisit really think that Kasit is the right person to "explain" the position to foreign diplomats.

In my experience over many years and over many subjects when a Thai decides it is necessary to explain something to a foreigner, what follows is generally a stream of confused and confusing drivel.

• Like 1

Do they think that foreign embassies are not aware of the implications of amnesty?

Does Abhisit really think that Kasit is the right person to "explain" the position to foreign diplomats.

In my experience over many years and over many subjects when a Thai decides it is necessary to explain something to a foreigner, what follows is generally a stream of confused and confusing drivel.

Maybe they could retain your services so that you could explain it all for them................ ;)

"We are confused if the opposition sees foreign agencies as being more important than our people,'' Anusorn said.

And their quiet happy to see foreigners Kofi(ex head of the agency his boss scorned when claiming "the UN is not my father"and Tony(I'm with George on the WMDs)Blair as being more important than "our people"....

• Like 1

Maybe they could retain your services so that you could explain it all for them................ wink.png

That's a intelligent post (or rather it woiud be if you were five years old).

Returning to my earlier post I should have made it clear I was referring to matters where the subject is projected as specifically Thai and thus hard for a foreigner to comprehend.In these circumstances the explanation is invariably drivel.

Don't let PM Yingluck hear you say that or you'll be on the next boat out of here.

Suriyasai said the government had failed to allow public participation in her administration and the move to reform politics would be doomed to fail as long as the "Thaksin regime" is in power, claiming that it interferes in the justice system and independent agencies.

That seems to sum up the situation quite well thumbsup.gif

Don't let PM Yingluck hear you say that or you'll be on the next boat out of here.

And anyone who presses the like button to his post,

And anyone who presses the like button to his post,

Actually the worst ever drivel was 'the UN is not my father'. Wonder who made that specimen?

They want kasit to do the explaining? I wonder if anyone will bother attending?

The standard line is and always has been , "it's a Thai issue", now they want everyone to pony up and listen? As though they haven't produced a thousand political papers on the issue already.

If Thaksin gets amnesty, get your brown envelope out to get anything done, would suffice.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Becareful to listen to Democrat party.

It is known well that this party never tell the whole truth. Please read the whole article and you will know that UN concerns about the Abhisit and his members not to be proper put on trial.

Human right is to protect the people right from the state. State has military people has only bare hand.

Abhisit against the amnesty bill because this bill cover only the people but not the leaders of all sides.

Thailand today is just similar to the Lincoln time in USA when the blacks were not equal to the white.

It is known well that this party never tell the whole truth. Please read the whole article and you will know that UN concerns about the Abhisit and his members not to be proper put on trial.

Human right is to protect the people right from the state. State has military people has only bare hand.

Abhisit against the amnesty bill because this bill cover only the people but not the leaders of all sides.

Thailand today is just similar to the Lincoln time in USA when the blacks were not equal to the white.

On the contrary, former-PM Abhisit has made it clear, that he is happy to take his chances in-the-courts, believing that he has done nothing wrong, but that he fears the various amnesty-bills will be used to pardon a certain on-the-run criminal whose initial is 'T'. wink.png

And I fail to see the relevance of your comparison with pre-Civil-War USA, unless its in the general attitude of whiter-skinned Chinese-Thais (like Thaksin), towards darker-skinned Thais, which I'd agree is reprehensible ? But that's hardly a party-political issue.

"They have never looked at political victims and are trying to block the move to grant amnesty to the people by submitting open letters to diplomats.

"We are confused if the opposition sees foreign agencies as being more important than our people,'' he said.

victims are not subject to the bill... only the 'offenders' are.

By denying 'our people' a justice system in favour for introducing an amnesty bill to over-rule an y justice system is by default denying 'victims' and 'our people' justice.

This bill is to be manipulated to grant amnesty to those the government want to grant the amnesty. Thus circumventing the 'royal pardon' system,.

Before any red shirt bleeding hearts pipe up with their bit... TIT if something can be manipulated, then it WILL be manipulated. Especially for its primary intended purpose.

They almost give the impression that people are stupid enough to believe this government gives a toss about the people.

saying the opposition was only playing politics for its own interest without heeding the plight of the people plight of a few people.

Come to think of it he did not mention how the PTP has listened to the plight of the small rice farmers. But they have listened to the plight of the mill owners and the owners of the storage buildings. Strangly enough they are mostly PTP people.

With your lack of knowledge I bet you scored the highest on tests at the red shirt schools.

On a side note.

Seems to me Thaksin is wasting his money spending 500 baht in places where he could obviously get it for 100 baht.wai.gif

edit spelling

Edited by hellodolly

Ah, so the Democrats aren't perfect and the UN apparently show concern about something which Abhisit has stated he's willing to do -ie stand trial rather than leg it.

If the Democrats aren't perfect they must sit back and do nothing? This government is the one which refuses to give the Opposition a chance to perform its role. The phrase "only itself to blame" springs to mind.

If I understand your confusing English - "State has military people has only bare hand. ", you are trying to defend the actions of this government by a situation instigated by this government's supporters.

If I've misunderstood, please clarify your English.