What frightens you most here in Thailand

Phronesis

There's absolutely nothing about these rascals that appeals to me and I have become very confrontational. The Thai males in particular are so unpredictable and a wrong comment at just the right time could lead to a disastrous outcome. Leaving Thailand is not an option for me, so I either need to cut out my tongue or find a good natural treatment for stress. Any ideas!

Get out of condo and buy/adopt a big dog smile.png and lots and lots of bar girl visits. Thailand is very strict pyramid society underneath and you are the odd man out. Especially if you do not have a good Thai girlfriend smoothing things out patiently.

Most Thais do not understand farangs at all either. They just see a big farang gorilla man shouting and moving his big hands in a threatening manner. You might as well speak Klingon to them. Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Edited by Timwin

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that scares me most about living in Thailand is "me". When I retired here in 2010 I was a cool, calm and collected guy who was ready to enjoy this "magical" experience for the rest of my life. After three years of trying to adapt, transition and fit in with the locals and understand "Thainess", I have become one stressed out and frustrated "basket case" of a guy with a hair pin temper. There's absolutely nothing about these rascals that appeals to me and I have become very confrontational. The Thai males in particular are so unpredictable and a wrong comment at just the right time could lead to a disastrous outcome. Leaving Thailand is not an option for me, so I either need to cut out my tongue or find a good natural treatment for stress. Any ideas!

Yes, don't get drunk and always mind your own business, and you will always be 99.9% safe here.

What scares me the most is the thought of someone who can't be bothered looking coming out of a side street and under my car while I am driving down the highway, equally scary is thought of it being a truck doing the same.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing scares me in LOS...however there are a couple of things that concern me greatly.

One is a drunk cop waving his gun about and the other is being blindsided when I'm

on my bike by a large truck that has just stormed out onto the road without even

bothering to slow down to check the traffic beforehand.

That's about it...save for warm Beer Sing....

What scares me the most is the thought of someone who can't be bothered looking coming out of a side street and under my car while I am driving down the highway, equally scary is thought of it being a truck doing the same.

TT...

Hope you weren't driving while texting this....!

It's the farangs in Thailand that scare me far far more than Thais - surely Thailand must have the largest selection of duplicitous, lieing, dodgy, mentally disordered foreign expats in the world ?!

Nah....Saudi has LOS beat hands down.

Would be the drivers for me too. I just can't see how an entire nation cannot properly know how to drive. Why is there no health and safety laws?

On a light note another thing which scares is me is the fact that non Asian women no longer turn me on.

Yep, I heard that's how it starts. Before long, it will be ALL women. giggle.gif

• Like 1

Knowing that I had now lived in Thailand full time for more than four years, one the guys in the group turned to me and said "[Phonesis] you are the only one that lives here full time. What frightens you most?

If these guys called your Phonesis rather than Phronesis, either they were mocking you or they thought your elocution was more impressive than your wisdom.

Knowing that I had now lived in Thailand full time for more than four years, one the guys in the group turned to me and said "[Phonesis] you are the only one that lives here full time. What frightens you most?

If these guys called your Phonesis rather than Phronesis, either they were mocking you or they thought your elocution was more impressive than your wisdom.

Typo well spotted sir

TT...

Hope you weren't driving while texting this....!

Too much happening on the road for that, hard to even have time to check the mirrors without someone screaming out of a side street or slowing rapidly because of a small bump in the road.

I guess what scares me the most is the member's on this TV Forum. Just brutel! What with Opinions, and thoughts and comments, advise good and bad.

Yep! That is what frightens me alright.

What I dislike most is the sheer duplicity and dishonesty of the Thai people.

I have came across a lot of honest Thai people. There are some dishonest people in every country.

3 month ago I moved to a slightly bigger bungalow (foolishly) I forgot 1200€ in an enveloppe under the mattress.

The next day the old Thai owner brougth it to me, 1200€... you can count he told me... not sure 100% of Westerners owners would have done it whistling.gif

• Like 2

Bashing through the snow.....my wife's Thai and I do have some good Thais as friends.

What would you think if I wrote " xxxxxxx of the British. American or whatsoever people?=wai2.gif

• Like 1

I have came across a lot of honest Thai people. There are some dishonest people in every country.

3 month ago I moved to a slightly bigger bungalow (foolishly) I forgot 1200€ in an enveloppe under the mattress.

The next day the old Thai owner brougth it to me, 1200€... you can count he told me... not sure 100% of Westerners owners would have done it whistling.gif

On the other hand, hiding your money under mattress was not exactly smart. I believe they do have banks in LOS???

I have never knowingly been cheated, duped, or lied to in LOS.

But then I don't hang out in dodgy ladybars......

I took my motorbike to the local Honda agent as the engine was making a knocking noise and running poorly, as it has over 50.000 Kilos on the clock I asked for an estimate to supply and fit a new engine, he said 4000 Baht, I said OK, just do it. 2 hours later the bike was bought to my house, it was running great. I was told it did not need a new engine and some part had been replaced. I said How Much? He said 850 Baht. The bike has been running well ever since.

• Like 1