What frightens you most here in Thailand

Phronesis

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a serious note, the thing that scares me the most is a topic that we are never permitted to discuss. What I hope is that the country stays strong and stable.

Mods, if this comment is a problem, please delete immediately.

Cheers

Not a problem for me, i just get up and go somewhere else

To be honest with you it is not a topic discussed in my circle. All though there are times I would like to suggest a certain person running the country would be better than what we have now.

I dont live in Thailand, but one thing that really frightens me is not being able to return either due to getting blacklisted by immigration or from major injury. I have no reason to be scared of getting blacklisted, but it's not my country and the government can do or change whatever they want at anytime.

OK - I'll bite - as a tourist, what precisely would lead to you being banned from entering the country other than a visa or legal issue ? To date, I havent had a single problem getting a tourist visa and all my 30-day 'visa exempt' stays have been completely without issue. If there is an easier way to get a 90-day stay in someone else's country than a trip to Penang and two nights in a hotel, I need to hear about it.

The 90 day stamp you receive on arrival in Malaysia?

Touche.

What frightens me:

• The fright I got when the big floods hit Bangkok thinking how in the hell is this government going to handle the emergency of millions of additional people in trouble in a condensed area when their efforts were less that effective elsewhere. All of the food and water had long gone from supermarkets by that time.
  • The fright I get thinking that if I am ever involved in some issue here the total lack of law and justice will compromise my equal rights and leave me helpless as a foreigner.
  • Drinking in bars in Chalong Pier Road with Australian short timers showing off their trophy shots.

Ok - the first two I totally get, but who cares what 'short timers' are doing with their 'dates' ? Seriously - find another bar or another part of town : if I can get in a cab for 15 minutes from central Suk and find myself in a venue where I am the only Farang, it just cant be that bad. Even the known tourist hangouts like Tawan Daeng have far more Thai patrons than Farang - I just smile and go with the flow.

Things are pretty much ok in Thailand NOW, what happens when/if the Shi^ really hits the fan ie economic meltdown, how will the Thais take to Farangs then?

i wonder about this too. will they blame us? or still see us a money bags?

What frightens you most here in Thailand

That, if I stay here long enough, I'll turn into a bitter, old, irrational, Thai bashing expat who posts rants that ought to embarrass the most petulant child.

Obviously some people are born that way (including being old & bitter), but a fairly large number of people seem to morph into that state after associating with others in the farang "community," (although maybe "commune" or "cabal" would be a better word). They then gravitate to TV to spread their irrational-ism. It could just be like other forms of aging and mental degeneration, a subset of senility. But maybe it's spread by more sinister means !!!

post-145917-0-27645400-1376368556_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Chopsticks in the wrong hands.

Potentially lethal.

That's not hazardous. It's quite safe to use chopsticks in your left hand, but eventually the waiter got fed up and brought a fork and spoon instead.

Fair point. I was more concerned about chopsticks that come in packs of three.

The thing that scares me most about living in Thailand is "me". When I retired here in 2010 I was a cool, calm and collected guy who was ready to enjoy this "magical" experience for the rest of my life. After three years of trying to adapt, transition and fit in with the locals and understand "Thainess", I have become one stressed out and frustrated "basket case" of a guy with a hair pin temper. There's absolutely nothing about these rascals that appeals to me and I have become very confrontational. The Thai males in particular are so unpredictable and a wrong comment at just the right time could lead to a disastrous outcome. Leaving Thailand is not an option for me, so I either need to cut out my tongue or find a good natural treatment for stress. Any ideas!

Eat more carrots...and get a Filipino lass with large breasts to give you a massage...

Hi-So nepotism on top of everything and ruining and slowing down a lot of things. I have heard even Thais complaining a lot that nothing moves without bribes and/or connections.

A lot of Bangkok might be within a couple of decades under water but what does the Hi-So members do?! They buy real-estate in Chiang Mai! All it matters to them is to stay a Hi-So even if Bangkok goes under!

Edited by Timwin

Hi-So nepotism on top of everything and ruining and slowing down a lot of things. I have heard even Thais complaining a lot that nothing moves without bribes and/or connections.

A lot of Bangkok might be within a couple of decades under water but what does the Hi-So members do?! They buy real-estate in Chiang Mai! All it matters to them is to stay a Hi-So even if Bangkok goes under!

Nivea whitening cream.

I keep well away from Bangkok and feel very safe.Not realy scared of anything,if i die i die,if i kill someone i kill someone.

10 Years in Pattaya is far safer than cities in the uk,and i feel extremly safe,and only a phone call away from good help.

I keep telling everyone this and get slated for it, you get a star.

On a serious note, the thing that scares me the most is a topic that we are never permitted to discuss. What I hope is that the country stays strong and stable.

Mods, if this comment is a problem, please delete immediately.

Cheers

Yes, I think we would all like Thailand to be strong and stable, but not a strong Baht, over 50 to the GBP would do.

^^ I could leave as well, but I can't say it would be pleasant to move with career and life/friends etc. Also, as much as I dislike about Thailand, in my old age, I'm not sure I could find a place I dislike less! So, I would probably just hunker down and pray for the best. blink.png

Make sure you stock up on carrots prior to hunkering down...

A few large breasted Filipino ladies might also come in handy...

Not sure I could manage more than one at a time. The Filipinas on the other hand. A nice French Viet would work as well as would a nice Dutch Indo with pink nipples.wai.gif

They have pink nipples???

Ok what scares me the most is riding a motorbike

Riding a motorbike does not scare me, it is Thais riding a motorbike that scares me.

• Like 2

My biggest FEAR...

IS the DRIVING STANDARDS, Not in any pacific province but the Whole of ''Thailand''..

So, So, dangerous,

Not many pacific provinces here specifically, but I can understand your concern..............wink.png

Sorry Robert, I have lowered myself to this.................sad.png

The thing that scares me most about living in Thailand is "me". When I retired here in 2010 I was a cool, calm and collected guy who was ready to enjoy this "magical" experience for the rest of my life. After three years of trying to adapt, transition and fit in with the locals and understand "Thainess", I have become one stressed out and frustrated "basket case" of a guy with a hair pin temper. There's absolutely nothing about these rascals that appeals to me and I have become very confrontational. The Thai males in particular are so unpredictable and a wrong comment at just the right time could lead to a disastrous outcome. Leaving Thailand is not an option for me, so I either need to cut out my tongue or find a good natural treatment for stress. Any ideas!

Move to Nakhon Nowhere. Seriously - is it possible for you to relocate to a quieter part of Thailand (assuming you are currently stuck in Bangkok) ?