What frightens you most here in Thailand

Phronesis

It's the farangs in Thailand that scare me far far more than Thais - surely Thailand must have the largest selection of duplicitous, lieing, dodgy, mentally disordered foreign expats in the world ?!

They are the 1s who in particular adapted and integrated very well into society here.

• Like 1

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so why don't you leave?

Just leave this thread. People have different fears. The topic just asks you to list your greatest fear in Thailand. Nobody's fear is right or wrong. Why would you argue with somebody about their personal fears?

"How little other people and other people's basic rights matter to most Thais."

"99 percent of snakes in Thailand are poisonous."

Because it is not true.

That is why I present an opposing view.

Banded kraits, spitting cobras.

(No, not Ang Lee's next big film....)

I grew up in the bush in Australia and so in the past I had a good deal of respect for, but no fear of, snakes. That all changed when I moved into my current house in northern Phuket which backs on to jungle covered mountain on one side and a massive rubber and palm plantation on the other. The place is alive with snakes. I have already had three separate instances of opening the kitchen door to find a cobra on the floor tiles. It is a high end house with proper doors, screens and rubber strips so I have no idea how they keep getting in. There is a third toilet in a room off my kitchen and one bloke suggested perhaps they are coming up through there??? My cat has already caught (and killed) at least four snakes (that I actually saw...maybe she has caught many others I didn't see). She loves to bite the heads off and play with the dead bodies like rope... I have vast range of different snakes here and they all worry me. Not because I am scared of snakes but because here I have no idea whether a snake is harmless or lethal.

Last year I was riding early one evening back from the beach. I cut through a dirt track short cut that runs through the plantation back to my place. I was motoring along amongst the rubber trees and ran over a large snake (circa 2m plus). It flicked up and bit me on the inside of my heel on my left foot. I was wearing flip flops. I freaked and rode the short remaining distance about 500m back to my house. I screamed out to my Thai neighbor (who is also a very good friend) that I had just been bitten by a snake. He came out with a spot light and trained the beam onto my ankle. To my horror there were two perfect fang puncture marks weeping a little blood on the smooth skin on that part of my foot. I went over to my garden and used the hose to wash the bite. I then jumped into my friends Merc and he tore up to Thalang Hospital. After checking in at reception I was jumped to the head of the line went in to see a very young male Thai doctor. My friend explained to him what had happened. He took my blood pressure and asked me what kind of snake it was. I said I have no idea...but it was big and (the best I could see in the darkness) greyish black in color.

Anyway I was ushered to the room where the nurse administer injections and put in a chair. After a half hour or so wait the doctor came around and checked my blood pressure again, listened to my heart and then told me to go home. I put some betadine on the two puncture marks and they healed up rapidly in a couple of days.

So yes...I am also very afraid of snakes here, at least until I learn which ones are actually dangerous...

Sounds like you got lucky mate. Not meaning to criticise, more in the spirt of public education; you should not wash / rinse a snake bite. Best to put some gauze or a bandaid over it as there is usually some venom left on the skin and this sample can be useful to the doctors in identifying the type of snake.

Alzheimer's Scares me here.Should My Wife and I ever suffer from it i'm sure that when we go for our 1 Year Extension based on Marriage,they will have no record of that same Dam Form,weve filled in for the last 27Years. .And we have both foregotten the "reason" Bit.w00t.gif

Those day glow orange carrots are just a result of cadmium poisoning and should not concern you too much..unless you plan on eating them.

The link button does not seem to work, so check it out here.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/china-news/unsafe-levels-of-cadmium-found-in-10-percent-of-chinas-rice-252218.html

The article is specific to rice, but it effects any crop grown in cadmium polluted earth.

Those day glow orange carrots are just a result of cadmium poisoning and should not concern you too much..unless you plan on eating them.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/china-news/unsafe-levels-of-cadmium-found-in-10-percent-of-chinas-rice-252218.html

The article is specific to rice, but it effects any crop grown in cadmium polluted earth.

Hmm.

The yolks in the eggs here are also orange ....

Hmm.

Calm down...the oranges in my refrigerator are also very orange...

Hmm.

You could die. The skins on mine are green with brown splotches, like they're supposed to be.

• Like 1

Hmm.

You could die. The skins on mine are green with brown splotches, like they're supposed to be.

Good advice. First thing you notice - brightly coloured fruit and veg. Next thing you know ... Zombie Invasion Apocalypse. You can't be too careful

But here in Thailand you have FACE which acts as the quintessential antithesis of continuous improvement. No one complains and, as a result, rather than dangerous and antisocial behavior being gradually weeded out, it is FLOURISHING.

True, but also rather naive.

Most expats learn very quickly that "face" in Thailand helps to promote or to preserve mediocrity.

Most of us will also know that the Japanese concept of "face" (which helps to promote excellence) is what you might describe as the "quintessential antithesis".

The trick is to learn how to use the local culture to your advantage. Evidently you've not yet worked that out.

• Like 1

"When I was floating around on my surfboard the other day I was trying to get my head around this (indifference) issue with Thais (usually men). It is far more complex than we westerners realise."

"Several serious collisions were avoided by mere inches, however not even so much as a single horn blast was issued."

Long way from Queensland or Kansas.

"Most expats learn very quickly that "face" in Thailand helps to promote or to preserve mediocrity."

Thais (in general) don't like open expression of conflict.

It may contribute to what we Westerners would describe as mediocrity.

Fair point.

The Thai Motorbike drivers frighten me the most. I was cut off by one a few months ago, ended up dropping my bike and breaking my left shoulder, left leg (in two places), and right toe. I am lucky I'm still alive. The second thing is the rise of the baht. I'm still okay for a retirement visa and can fall back on a marriage visa, but it still frightens me, especially when I see how much the pound and US dollar have fallen, even the euro.

I'm not worried about the Thais raising the financial requirements, because I have seen them do that before and they grandfathered in all the old timers.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The Thai Motorbike drivers frighten me the most. I was cut off by one a few months ago, ended up dropping my bike and breaking my left shoulder, left leg (in two places), and right toe. I am lucky I'm still alive. The second thing is the rise of the baht. I'm still okay for a retirement visa and can fall back on a marriage visa, but it still frightens me, especially when I see how much the pound and US dollar have fallen, even the euro.

I'm not worried about the Thais raising the financial requirements, because I have seen them do that before and they grandfathered in all the old timers.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you are now well again. Was there anything that frightened you during your interface with the local hospitals and doctors?

so why don't you leave?

Just leave this thread. People have different fears. The topic just asks you to list your greatest fear in Thailand. Nobody's fear is right or wrong. Why would you argue with somebody about their personal fears?

Because it is not true.

But you don't present an opposing view at all. All you do is come out with the pathetic "if you don't like it, leave" response, which I associate with people who cannot come up with something more creative. Any anyhow, how can you possibly determine what someone else fears?!

so why don't you leave?

Because it is not true.

But you don't present an opposing view at all. All you do is come out with the pathetic "if you don't like it, leave" response, which I associate with people who cannot come up with something more creative. Any anyhow, how can you possibly determine what someone else fears?!

Suggest you read the posts in this thread sequentially to get up to speed.

so why don't you leave?

Do you ever get bored of yourself?!

If anyone ever says anything even slightly negative about Thailand or Thais SinglePot sees it as an attack upon himself, even though he is not Thai. There are many others on TV like him: the Love It Or Leave It Crowd. I've never understood any of them, how they think.

• Like 1