Insect Farming

Yumthai

Hi Leonard,

Are you in Thailand ?

If so then tell me when you are going to be in the Suratthani area. I will get you a number and directions to a producing farm.

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

No, I am in Pretoria, South Africa. I am planning to travel to Thailand in two weeks time. Is it possible for you to get me those info before hand so that I can plan my trip properly? Do they speak English?

Best regards

Leonard

Nope, they don't speak English..

I will ask my wife to dig out the phone number for you.

Let me know when you are in the area and I might be able to assist you further, although I am not there at the moment.

I will appreciate a lot. The thing is that I have got no idea where the farms are. I have been twice to Bangkok, that is all. If I know the area, I can already start making travel plans. When are you going to be in the area yourself?

Best regars

L. Badi

• 8 months later...

I have told you the area, Suratthani and south... I won't be back until Sept at least..

Hi Cornishcarlos,

I hope you're doing great.

As you previously mentionned farms are located in Suratthani (south) but there is 19 district in that province. Which one should I target to get some chance to visit some farmers?

Thanks for your support.

Toussaint

• 1 year later...
On 6/10/2014 at 7:23 PM, cornishcarlos said:

Sago continued...

Breeding cycle is about 5 weeks to harvest.

P1040388.jpg

P1040400.jpg

3 weeks old and followed by 5 weeks old.

P1040418.jpg

P1040426.jpg

Ready for harvesting. 1 plastic tub will yeild approx 1kg or 200 worms

P1040425.jpg

The left over mulch is used a 2nd time and there after it becomes a very nutrient rich compost.

P1040433.jpg

Quick wash, just to rinse the residue off. They will be soaked later for around 20-30 mins to purge them.

P1040435.jpg

Weighed, that is 2 tubs at 2kg total. Production is between 400 and 600kg a month.

P1040446.jpg

P1040457.jpg

The finished product...

Export is the way to go :)

Local price is 180-200 baht/kg. Production costs run around 20 baht/kg.

Minimal labor required and minimal space required ie land.

Same protein as beef and fish. High in Omega 3s. Low in cholesterol.

This topic is popping up a lot in the news now, just been a big conference in Netherlands last month.

The taste pretty good too... :)

Hi @cornishcarlos thanks for sharing. old post but still very interesting. Are you still farming yourself? Sent you a pm about farm contacts. 

• 2 months later...
Any farang in bangkok area doing insect farming. Interested in picking your brains and would appreciate the english. Like to start up a small set up.jingleet or whatever . Maybe do breakfast or something.
Cheers cobbler

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 7 months later...
On 4/19/2015 at 6:11 PM, cornishcarlos said:

Hi Leonard,

Are you in Thailand ?

If so then tell me when you are going to be in the Suratthani area. I will get you a number and directions to a producing farm.

Carlos

Hi @cornishcarlos,

I know this post is from a few years ago but I do hope you could help me with some questions regarding sago worm farming. 

1. Can chicken feed be a good substitute to pig feed? 
2. Are you able to find buyers for the export market? 
3. How do you produce the adult weevils for breeding? - Do you just leave the larvae in the bucket for longer or do you have to take them out and put them in a dryer environment?

I really really do hope you could help me with this. My email is akipiku @ hotmail dot com

Hi [mention=85853]cornishcarlos[/mention],

I know this post is from a few years ago but I do hope you could help me with some questions regarding sago worm farming. 

1. Can chicken feed be a good substitute to pig feed? 
2. Are you able to find buyers for the export market? 
3. How do you produce the adult weevils for breeding? - Do you just leave the larvae in the bucket for longer or do you have to take them out and put them in a dryer environment?

I really really do hope you could help me with this. My email is akipiku @ hotmail dot com

Try yoube

• 2 weeks later...