Insect Farming

Yumthai

The insect as food market seems doing well in Thailand and I'm quite interested in this topic.

I could not find precise information here on TV, any updates/recent experience of this business would be much appreciated... especially as regards middle/large scale farming, rearing process optimizing and automation. Thanks ^_^

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is a somewhat cold thread but I'll reply anyway. When I moved to Isaan three years ago I saw nothing of the cricket (jing leet) business. I'm sure it was starting to gain popularity but there weren't that many farmers. Apparently the farmers there were did very well and unfortunately told everyone. Now there are cricket tanks in every other yard and more on the way. We thought about doing it but were busy with other things. Probably lucky because the prices can't stay high with all that supply coming to market. Seems to be a common progression in Thailand agriculture (maybe everywhere), boom and bust.

If you're interested I'll tell you everything I know about raising the little critters and that might help you on your way. Crickets are the only bugs I know much about.

Silk production in my area (Khon Kaen Province) was very important in the past but seems to have almost disappeared. Wife and I saw a neighbor making silk thread recently. She was boiling the cocoons and spinning the threads off of them. A byproduct of this was boiled silkworms which were the single most delicious bug I've ever eaten. Mulberry leaves is all they eat. Think about that, silk and food.

• Like 2

This is a somewhat cold thread but I'll reply anyway. When I moved to Isaan three years ago I saw nothing of the cricket (jing leet) business. I'm sure it was starting to gain popularity but there weren't that many farmers. Apparently the farmers there were did very well and unfortunately told everyone. Now there are cricket tanks in every other yard and more on the way. We thought about doing it but were busy with other things. Probably lucky because the prices can't stay high with all that supply coming to market. Seems to be a common progression in Thailand agriculture (maybe everywhere), boom and bust.  

If you're interested I'll tell you everything I know about raising the little critters and that might help you on your way. Crickets are the only bugs I know much about. 

Silk production in my area (Khon Kaen Province) was very important in the past but seems to have almost disappeared.  Wife and I saw a neighbor making silk thread recently. She was boiling the cocoons and spinning the threads off of them. A byproduct of this was boiled silkworms which were the single most delicious bug I've ever eaten. Mulberry leaves is all they eat. Think about that, silk and food.

Thanks for sharing. Yes, I've read about silk production/silkworms byproduct but I assume investment should be more important compare to crickets and harvesting cycle longer. I was thinking about sago palm worms rearing which seems a good business in the south however and as you pointed out, prices regulation is a main issue.

According to figures I've found Thai supply in edible insects appears to be not enough as lot of bugs are still imported from Cambodia/Laos... so there's a gap to be filled.

From a large scale pov, converting bugs into high protein flour to feed animals (cattle, poultry, fish, pets,...) or to make protein bars as emergency food certainly offers big opportunities.

• Like 1

Silk production in my area (Khon Kaen Province) was very important in the past but seems to have almost disappeared. Wife and I saw a neighbor making silk thread recently. She was boiling the cocoons and spinning the threads off of them. A byproduct of this was boiled silkworms which were the single most delicious bug I've ever eaten. Mulberry leaves is all they eat. Think about that, silk and food.

Thanks for sharing. Yes, I've read about silk production/silkworms byproduct but I assume investment should be more important compare to crickets and harvesting cycle longer. I was thinking about sago palm worms rearing which seems a good business in the south however and as you pointed out, prices regulation is a main issue.

According to figures I've found Thai supply in edible insects appears to be not enough as lot of bugs are still imported from Cambodia/Laos... so there's a gap to be filled.

From a large scale pov, converting bugs into high protein flour to feed animals (cattle, poultry, fish, pets,...) or to make protein bars as emergency food certainly offers big opportunities.

Imported? Maybe there still are opportunities here. It also occurred to me that with food shortages in the third world, and the speed by which insects multiply and grow, they may be a short term solution to hunger. Maybe Thailand as the hub of insect production.

Sago palm worms? I have to look that up. What's the turn around time on that? I think crickets are around two months and they are very prolific.

For the sago palm worms you have to grow the trees first, chop them down and let them rot, that's got to take a long time.

Well, for improved process using plastic bassins you don't have to let the wood rot. You may just buy palm stalks to reliable providers and chop it with yourself with a 5,000 THB grinding machine, but indeed better being located nearby them to reduce transportation costs.

Regarding Sago worms aka red palm weevil larvae (ด้วงสาคู in Thai), the harvesting cycle is about 1 month and can be reared all year long. According to this video (in Thai, published 4 years ago), it seems to be pretty lucrative business. Production for 1 month: around 2 kg net of worms per plastic bassin (d=50 cm, h=15 cm, stacked by 3). However after having contacted the guy in Chumphon he's not doing this anymore...

If you need more information about insect farming and market in Thailand, there are quite interesting data in these FAO reports:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/017/i3246e/i3246e.pdf

http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3253e/i3253e.pdf

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice to read about your feedback cornishcarlos.

So if I compute well, worst case scenario: 400*180=72,000 thb a month for 400*20=8,000 thb investment over 24 sqm space. Very cost effective!

Are they able to sell all year long? How about the demand?

• Like 1

So if I compute well, worst case scenario: 400*180=72,000 thb a month for 400*20=8,000 thb investment over 24 sqm space. Very cost effective!

Your calculations are correct. You need to figure in set up costs for building, tubs etc but it can be done very cheaply.

It takes a year or so to build up a reasonable amount of breeding stock to be able to run 500-600 tubs.

Once established, production can be done all year. However, there have been signs of reduced growth rate during rainy periods. This might be due to the building being slightly open to the elements?

Locals are buying enough but I am looking at export markets in the US and Europe. This requires some research into regulations and having my products tested to the right standards.

Also, preparation, packaging and preservation are key factors.

• Like 1

Your calculations are correct. You need to figure in set up costs for building, tubs etc but it can be done very cheaply.

It takes a year or so to build up a reasonable amount of breeding stock to be able to run 500-600 tubs.

Once established, production can be done all year. However, there have been signs of reduced growth rate during rainy periods. This might be due to the building being slightly open to the elements?

Locals are buying enough but I am looking at export markets in the US and Europe. This requires some research into regulations and having my products tested to the right standards.

Also, preparation, packaging and preservation are key factors.

For exportation in big volumes, I suspect flour form would be ideal in term of preservation and ready to be a base ingredient for food.

I also assume Sago palm supply is not a problem in the south, as long as prices are stable... where in the south are you located?

I found that about 1 trunk (250 thb), pig feed (150 thb) and coconut coir (30 thb) are needed for 100 plastic tubs. If you reuse it once each tub will last 10 weeks. Is that correct?

Edited by yamcha
  • Like 2

I'm located near Suratthani.

I am working with a lady that has been farming these for 5 + years. She is producing just for the local market and asked me to look at other markets overseas.

At present, I am just focusing on specialty restaurants etc so flour is not the way to go at the moment for me.

I agree, long term and on a large scale, flour for use in other food products will be in demand.

Are you farming any insects at present ? Where are you located ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear CornishCarlos,

appreciate your sharing and persistence. Am planning similar operation and would appreciate if and when required could get back to you?

I will (once planning and convincing phase is over) try via this forum....

Best of luck to you.

D

I'm looking at sago - but live up north in hills of Chiang Mai - aside from having to buy the sago palm I still think this would be viable.

Complete newbie when comes to farming so will need some experimentation but have another income source while this develops in the uk.

Carlos can you offer any further advice - I'm of the same opinion that given the nutrition in these worms that they be a staple part of the western diet with a decade

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm looking at sago - but live up north in hills of Chiang Mai - aside from having to buy the sago palm I still think this would be viable.

Complete newbie when comes to farming so will need some experimentation but have another income source while this develops in the uk.

Carlos can you offer any further advice - I'm of the same opinion that given the nutrition in these worms that they be a staple part of the western diet with a decade

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

PM sent....

Dear CornishCarlos,

appreciate your sharing and persistence. Am planning similar operation and would appreciate if and when required could get back to you?

Best of luck to you.

D

Any time... If I can help, I will :)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Has this topic died, been reading up on sago, still after some advice - does anyone know what's happened to Cornish Carlos?

Indeed, what happened to Cornish Carlos?

I am very interested in starting this project in Africa but I need to visit an existing farm. can anyone help?

Dear CornishCarlos,

Best of luck to you.

D

Any time... If I can help, I will smile.png

Dear Carlos,

I need your help. I want to start weevil farming. But I need to acquire a practical knowledge about the entire process. You seem to have an Hand-on. I need to visit an existing farm for a couple of days. Can you help? Can anyone help?

I am still here :)

Been working off shore far too much the last couple years, so this venture is kind of on standby right now for me.

There are a few Sago farms in the south. If anyone wants to visit one between Surat and NST (Tha Sala), I can get the contact details for you.

Again, I am away at the moment but still researching the export side of this.

Regards,

Carlos

• Like 1

Dear CornishCarlos,

Best of luck to you.

D

Any time... If I can help, I will smile.png

Dear Carlos,

I need your help. I want to start weevil farming. But I need to acquire a practical knowledge about the entire process. You seem to have an Hand-on. I need to visit an existing farm for a couple of days. Can you help? Can anyone help?

Is this thread dead?

I am still here smile.png

Been working off shore far too much the last couple years, so this venture is kind of on standby right now for me.

There are a few Sago farms in the south. If anyone wants to visit one between Surat and NST (Tha Sala), I can get the contact details for you.

Regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos. I am glad you are still here. I have been struggling a lot to get introduced to farmers in Thailand. I have even contacted top managers in FAO Thailand and Laos. Even Prof Yuppa, the Expert in Palm Weevil farming replied two days ago telling me that she knew only one farmer but that she lost his phone number. It seems to me that there is an unwillingness to help.

I leave in South Africa. And I want to start the project in DRC Congo.

Regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos. I am glad you are still here. I have been struggling a lot to get introduced to farmers in Thailand. I have even contacted top managers in FAO Thailand and Laos. Even Prof Yuppa, the Expert in Palm Weevil farming replied two days ago telling me that she knew only one farmer but that she lost his phone number. It seems to me that there is an unwillingness to help.

I was looking at "Thailand Unique" website. http://www.thailandunique.com. They specialize on Export market. Have you checked them?

Regards,

Carlos

I was looking at "Thailand Unique" website. http://www.thailandunique.com. They specialize on Export market. Have you checked them?

Hi Carlos. My name is Leonard Badi. I really need to visit one or two farms. I will really appreciate if you can help. My mail is my name and my surname at Gmail.com

Thanking you in advance,

Best regards

L. Badi