Russian assaults pick-up driver and flees the scene: Motorbike accident in Pattaya

webfact

A Russian’s Motorbike Collides With Pick – Up Car And Flees In Pattaya

pdn223.jpg

Nong Prue Police were able to arrest a 28 year-old Russian named Alex Zoro after he had collided with a pick-up car, he was also arrested for assaulting the driver following the collision.

PATTAYA – August 14,2013 [PDN]; The driver of the pick-up car who was named Mr. Somkiet Pepai, aged 42, said that a Russian couple had collided into his pick-up car after it was raining heavily. He said that when the Russians had collided into his car, they walked to his window and assaulted him, before the couple escaped.

Fortunately, Nong Prue Police were able to find the couple nearby, but when police tried to arrest them, they argued and even insulted police officers, but in the end police were able to take them to the Nong Prue Police station.

Police will now charge Mr. Alex for assault.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/08/13/a-russian%E2%80%99s-motorbike-collides-with-pick-up-car-and-flees-in-pattaya/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-08-14

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A guy and his wife/GF stuck in the rain on motorbike hit by a truck. Not happy about it asks the driver what up? Driver smiles at shaken motorbike driver and gets thumped. Back on the bike, police stop further down the road. Motorbike driver angry now at the smiling truck driver can't communicate with the police and loses his cool again.

Bet he gets on the next plane back to his country and never comes back!

• Like 2

Maybe,he said, i am very sorry for crashing you car, very loud in broken English and heavy Russian accent, the guy in the pick up thought they were angry and called the Police. the police approach him and ask him to come with them, again in a loud Russian accent, what have i done, or, i am a Russian citizen or whatever, the police as the driver think he is angry and insulting, but all this time, the poor guy was just speaking the way Russians do, which always sounds arrogant and insulting, if you don't know the language, then again,sounds like he got cut off and was very pissed off...coffee1.gif

This is how Russians resolve road disputes, nothing odd or newsworthy really. In thailand motorcyclists are second class in a sense and are told to stick to the side of the road, really both the Russian and the thai guy need to be reeducated in road ettiquette but it's a national problem in both thailand and Russia.

• Like 1

This how Russians resolve road disputes, nothing odd or newsworthy really

But obviously he got worked up over something. With that much conviction, you have to really question the driver (unlike the police do I suppose). The worst drivers I encounter who are always nearly swerving lanes, going fast, and nearly crashing into me are country bums in beat up pick up trucks. Hope some witnesses come forward....but pissing off Thai police is digging your own grave....

He should have gone right to the police station....

Did the driver call the insurance company? Was he insured? Lots of questions....

Edited by gemini81

Call me crazy but I do not buy the sweet and innocent pick up driver story.

I am sure Russian abused the cops but have hard time believing he just assaulted the driver for fun

Well, I must confess I do believe the accident' story, 2 years ago I did indeed crashed my bike against a car (wet road, and one sec of non attention), while the bike suffered nothing (but the forward basket was littly torn), the car did lost the rear bumper ... But I did nto argue, neither with the driver, neither with the police.

Sadly driving off after an accident is standard form in Thailand. Why, there is no law as far as I have heard to stop them driving away. But as a farang you are mostly deemed at fault and the max amount of money extorted. I don't agree in Assault but I am sure there is more to this.

• Like 1

Call me crazy but I do not buy the sweet and innocent pick up driver story.

I am sure Russian abused the cops but have hard time believing he just assaulted the driver for fun

Well, I must confess I do believe the accident' story, 2 years ago I did indeed crashed my bike against a car (wet road, and one sec of non attention), while the bike suffered nothing (but the forward basket was littly torn), the car did lost the rear bumper ... But I did nto argue, neither with the driver, neither with the police.

I do not think the accident is in dispute, the area of dispute is Russian assaulting the driver for no reason.

It is possible and most likely, there is more to the story which driver did not tell

How many times have you seen russians driving bikes and cars wrecklessly in Pattaya that cause onlookers to pause? I have. The 'when in rome' phrase doesn't apply to Thailand. If you drive as badly as some locals do, you put yourself at risk of injury. In this particular case, the fault is with the Russian because no matter how well he can defend his actions(obviously he didn't), this isn't his country and so he was at fault. This is how it is here. Like it or leave it.

• Like 1

Sadly driving off after an accident is standard form in Thailand. Why, there is no law as far as I have heard to stop them driving away. But as a farang you are mostly deemed at fault and the max amount of money extorted. I don't agree in Assault but I am sure there is more to this.

On the contrary, after an accident most drivers get on the phone to their respective insurance companies and do not shift their vehicles one millimetre even if they are blocking the road for every other road user until the insurance assessors arrive and complete the negotiations. A simple shunt on a busy road puts bangkok into gridlock.

• Like 1

How many times have you seen russians driving bikes and cars wrecklessly in Pattaya that cause onlookers to pause? I have. The 'when in rome' phrase doesn't apply to Thailand. If you drive as badly as some locals do, you put yourself at risk of injury. In this particular case, the fault is with the Russian because no matter how well he can defend his actions(obviously he didn't), this isn't his country and so he was at fault. This is how it is here. Like it or leave it.

Not necessarily. I've had bikes and other cars hit 1. my bike 2. my car You can fight it, but do it properly; get the plate numbers, contact police immediately, any applicable insurance company to come take pics, and most of all avoid communication/confrontation with the other party while you wait at the scene. I think that's that part some foreigners forget (if they're not at fault) keep your cool, contact authorities. Don't solve it with fists, otherwise you're definitely gonna be sorry.

• Like 1

good for him for fleeing the accident area as to avoid any danger involving gun and knife/ sword but not go home and sleep instead he should directly go to police station. now he become a victim of the driver sad story...

Going to the police probably would not have helped him. I was hit from behind at Songkran, the driver backed off and drove away, when police came i tried to give them the description and number of the vehicle, there and then at the scene and again at Chaweng police station, but they would not take any notice because i am insured. The damage cost Bht 140.000. I still see the Toyota pickup driving around still with damage to his front, he lives near to the Samui Airport, i see him parked at his shophouse as i drive by, he also has a taxi.

Not necessarily. I've had bikes and other cars hit 1. my bike 2. my car You can fight it, but do it properly; get the plate numbers, contact police immediately, any applicable insurance company to come take pics, and most of all avoid communication/confrontation with the other party while you wait at the scene. I think that's that part some foreigners forget (if they're not at fault) keep your cool, contact authorities. Don't solve it with fists, otherwise you're definitely gonna be sorry.

Been there, tried that with police.

To read the story, it places the blame for the accident firmly at the motorbike's door. I'm not condoning the Russian's actions, but I'm guessing he felt the pick-up driver was at fault, which seems to make more sense.

From a Thai perspective, the Russians were out of control and angry - therefore the accident probably occurred as a result of their anger. No doubt the police concluded the same when they attempted to arrest them.

I don't think there's anywhere near enough information to make an assessment on fault from the article, but the farangs of Pattaya are typically no better drivers than the Thais.