Yesterday i saw a lamb(tourist) going to the slaughter

i claudius

Sitting in a bar yesterday afternoon having a quiet drink i got into conversation with a guy who had been here 3 days ,he was with a girl ,and he said that he had been talking to her on the internet for some time and was now here to see about marrying her , he said that she was a receptionist at a hotel ( judging by the way she was dressed and the tats ,i think it was in soi6) anyway she was in a bad mood because he was only going to hire a minibus for 3 days to go to Isaan to meet the parents and she wanted to go for 10 days ,which effectivly was the rest of his holiday ,and she wanted him to put the driver up in a hotel so he could drive the familly around in that time , he seemed like a nice guy ,but it put me in mind of a lamb going to the slaughter ,it still amazes me after all this time how men can be led along by the balls . anyway just thought i would share this, even if it is an old old story ,rolleyes.gif

Do him a big favour.... Go and find him and point him to a copy of Stephen Leather's Private Dancer. Poor bastzzd

I did the said thing to someone once and even after reading the whole book, and going through other websites the poor bastzzd still wasn't convinced,, i think they are poor sad lonely people who get led along by the balls instead of their brains and after they have no money they get tossed onto the highway and abandoned,, welcome to Thailand.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's bitter, try Leo, or better yet Ancher in Cambodia

Not a fan of Leo, but I'll drink it. Anchor in Cambodia isn't bad, but then the Cambodia beer is pretty good too.

I grew up drinking VB so I like my beers a bit bitter - with a sprinkling of hoppy craft beer

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sitting in a bar yesterday afternoon having a quiet drink i got into conversation with a guy who had been here 3 days ,he was with a girl ,and he said that he had been talking to her on the internet for some time and was now here to see about marrying her , he said that she was a receptionist at a hotel ( judging by the way she was dressed and the tats ,i think it was in soi6) anyway she was in a bad mood because he was only going to hire a minibus for 3 days to go to Isaan to meet the parents and she wanted to go for 10 days ,which effectivly was the rest of his holiday ,and she wanted him to put the driver up in a hotel so he could drive the familly around in that time , he seemed like a nice guy ,but it put me in mind of a lamb going to the slaughter ,it still amazes me after all this time how men can be led along by the balls . anyway just thought i would share this, even if it is an old old story ,Posted Image

Do him a big favour.... Go and find him and point him to a copy of Stephen Leather's Private Dancer. Poor bastzzd

I did the said thing to someone once and even after reading the whole book, and going through other websites the poor bastzzd still wasn't convinced,, i think they are poor sad lonely people who get led along by the balls instead of their brains and after they have no money they get tossed onto the highway and abandoned,, welcome to Thailand.

Its the IWHTM mindset, it won't happen to me. I'm different.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sounds to me like this lamb is going to have a great experience here in Thailand and will get to see more then just Pattaya. Many people ONLY visit Pattaya then go home with not a lot to say about Thailand but there Pattaya experience.

I think it is great that he will visit a real Thai family and see how hospitable they can be and experience how his maybe future gf/wife's lives.

Smart guy for just renting a mini van and driver for his venture.

He is now on the venture of his life like many of us have been before when we first started coming to Thailand and many it has worked out and for many it has not, either way, great memories and I wish him all the luck in the world. He will at least get to see in 3 days more then what many who have been here for years have not seen.

BTW you should not judge a book by it's cover. Tattoos and the way people dress don't mean anything. There is a girl who works in Big-C that is covered with tattoos but she has a regular job. Why do you assume that this girl is a bar girl? Why didn't you give him some positive stories in Thailand if you have been here for some time?

The way people dress is extremely important to Thais.

The whole society judges a book by its cover all the time!

Naam jai is also an important Thai value , this implies that the gf should be flexible and helpful and nice to her potential husband , not unhappy and demanding.

The suggestion that she gives a hoot about the comfort of the driver , a mere employee who should be used to sleeping in his bus , sends alarm bells ringing ... so I'd also bet that the 'driver' is not just a driver.

I dont see anything condescending in the tone of the OP , just a comment on what he saw.

Totally agree .... Van driver is a cousin, brother, husband or pimp..... Guaranteed. Hope he wises up quickly.

For you doubters in here, you live very sheltered lives when it comes to the truth of the oldest profession in history.

Sounds to me like this lamb is going to have a great experience here in Thailand and will get to see more then just Pattaya. Many people ONLY visit Pattaya then go home with not a lot to say about Thailand but there Pattaya experience.

I think it is great that he will visit a real Thai family and see how hospitable they can be and experience how his maybe future gf/wife's lives.

Smart guy for just renting a mini van and driver for his venture.

He is now on the venture of his life like many of us have been before when we first started coming to Thailand and many it has worked out and for many it has not, either way, great memories and I wish him all the luck in the world. He will at least get to see in 3 days more then what many who have been here for years have not seen.

BTW you should not judge a book by it's cover. Tattoos and the way people dress don't mean anything. There is a girl who works in Big-C that is covered with tattoos but she has a regular job. Why do you assume that this girl is a bar girl? Why didn't you give him some positive stories in Thailand if you have been here for some time?

The way people dress is extremely important to Thais.

The whole society judges a book by its cover all the time!

Naam jai is also an important Thai value , this implies that the gf should be flexible and helpful and nice to her potential husband , not unhappy and demanding.

The suggestion that she gives a hoot about the comfort of the driver , a mere employee who should be used to sleeping in his bus , sends alarm bells ringing ... so I'd also bet that the 'driver' is not just a driver.

I dont see anything condescending in the tone of the OP , just a comment on what he saw.

Then why do most of them dress poorly?

As for OP: the girl's bad mood was/is already a give away.

Dont know where you live , but outside of work they dress fine around here.

Was he heading to Nong Khai? Just had the neighbor's daughter return home and the house was in a fluster the last couple of days. They were stowing away the daughter's two previous children, the "brother" was told to go live with the "aunt" for a few days and all 3 of the vehicles were stashed in our yard and they moved in some chickens, two cows and some pigs!

Told them I wanted an all paid for one week holiday in Chiang Mai or else I was going to put the word out that the new guy was being used. The wife and I have got our bags packed and tickets in hand......looks like they have found a keeper!!!

For a couple of months anyway....the previous farang ended up being killed in a motorcycle crash about 13 months ago.........hhmmmm!

Classy bloke you are. So your happy being complicit in the ripping off of another man. Makes you just as bad as your neighbours. Although your story is probably full of crap.

• Like 1

This story is not unique, but still funny. Of course I have heard over 10 stories along these lines, some much worse and some much weirder. I would not call it a "lamb to slaughter" unless you felt this guy was extremely handsome, rich, smart, athletic, etc.... and she was the exact opposite. I understand guys want happiness and can't find it at home; these things cost money, anywhere. I get thai women want to be treated well, I would too if in their shoes. anyhow, I just hope the guy spent the last year+ learning some thai. it will make the transition easier, I think.

About two years ago I shared a table at Kiss Restaurant on Second Rd with a Swedish guy. He had everything going for him. He was young, handsome, athletic etc etc. I struck up a conversation with him. He had a Thai girlfriend who he'd visited many, many times. In the end she'd taken him to the cleaners and he had lost everything. He was returning to Sweden and never coming back to Thailand. He was so sad and broken hearted that even after a long term relationship he'd been cleaned out.

Yes it's a story we hear hundreds of times. It normally all starts with meeting the wrong type of Thai girl when here on a short holiday, and confusing lust with love. I felt really sorry for this guy. He wasn't some old geezer with too much money and no sex appeal thinking they really are attractive to younger Thai girls.

There must be so many sad stories out there, so many "lambs to the slaughter", so much money lost that never can be recovered in a person's working life. It's not funny at all but it is predictable. As sure as the sun rises every day there are dozens of more lambs arriving by plane. The Isaan girls & others are waiting.

Actually as i was leaving i tried to tell him not to rush into anything and that all is not what it seems here,hopefully after a few days up in Isaan with the relatives all there with their hands out he may just come to his senses ,but about 6 months ago myself and a few friends were talking to a guy who was broke after losing two ,yes two houses to women and this was someone who lives here ,was it P T Barnham that said "never give a sucker an even break"

No, Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute." That, btw, is the correct spelling of Barnum. Don't know who said don't give 'em an even break. Sounds like Vegas to me.

Sounds like something W. C. Fields or Mae West may have said.

Yeah farang woman have NEVER taken any guy to the cleaners I'm sure. I'm sure most of the expats here in Thailand have ex's back home who took them for everything so why is it so different here?

• Like 2

From what he has said, I think the OP very softly and tactfully mentioned what we all have in mind, without being particularly intruding into something that was not really any of his business.

Most of us need to pee in the electric fence before we learn. Very few will get away from it if just told. In some cases, it may even be just a secluded fence.

Good luck to the tourist, who didn't seem to be the most stupid of guys if he had just taken a minivan rental for a few days anyway and kudos to the OP for having been patient enough to make the basic disclaimers in a nice way to someone who crossed your path that day

So tattoos can be used to identify someones level of class?

An old fashioned view I admit, but my upbringing gave me the inclination that no person of quality would even consider sporting a tattoo. I'd say that far less than 50% of the guys that I served with in my 12 year stint in the Navy felt the need to adorn themselves. Thankfully, the notion never entered my head.

Having a quiet drink with a close friend we noticed that the lady serving us had a farang guy's name tattooed across her midriff. It turned out that he was a boyfriend of some time ago. I asked her what would she say when she went back to her village to tend to the kids when they asked her why she was thus disfigured. She replied that she would tell them that she had it done when she was young and stupid.

• Like 1

-i - Claudius-

When I read,

"he was only going to hire a minibus for 3 days to go to Isaan to meet the parents and she wanted to go for 10 days ,which effectivly was the rest of his holiday ,and she wanted him to put the driver up in a hotel so he could drive the familly around in that time "

The guy is a -henpecked BF- tongue.png Som nam na!

And, Who needs a driver? blink.png He has no driving ability?

Buy a car for her before you leave, open a Bank account in her name and send money regularly,

make her happy! smile.png

Of course many of the "older and wiser" men here are wiser because they once ... or more ... did the same thing when they too were newbies. So let's don't judge him too harshly.

Edited by HerbalEd

Tattoos and the way people dress don't mean anything.

Guys in prison are also covered in tatoos, but maybe that doesn't mean anything either....

Beam me up Scotty whistling.gif

Get me out of here please, Scotty saai.gif

What a narrow-minded bullshit, give me break! Thai Buddhist monks, high-standing people who are, in fact highly educated, posses an excellent reputation do, have tattoos...so what meaning has that IYHO? I am more than curious to get to know what shady group you're going to associate these people with. I am a female, living in the LOS. I do have various visible Tattoos and I am NOT a bar girl, no punk, no rocker, no sailor, not lesbian, not a tomboy, not a trans, I have NEVER ever been in prison - last, but not least, I don't do any kind of drugs... and I find my self in good company, I had and have the pleasure to meet with and get to know quite a few really interesting, inspiring and worldly, tattooed people with backgrounds similar to mine in terms of individuality, education, zest of life... no matter what the sex, female, male or something in between, great people from all walks of life, many nationalities and cultural backgrounds. Well, Mr. Lancelot, what does this mean, what is your bias against people like me? Get a life. Open your mind! Life can be so very much more bright and fun...

• Like 2

I hope you gave him the TV website to help educate himself on the lay of the land so to speak.

Possibly a couple of other websites come to mind as well. He might see this post or another 100 or

so that might reinforce your suggestion to slow the f...k down.

it still amazes me after all this time how men can be led along by the balls . "All this time" would be since Adam met Eve, or Anthony met Cleopatra, or Napoleon met Josephine. Twas ever thus and we chaps wouldn't have it any other way. It's all a question of degrees.

It is physiological, males have sufficient blood supply for their brains and their reproductive organs, but not at the same time.

Edited by angrybird

Any advice concerning this matter is null and void, because despite all the people motivated by good, or not so good, intentions, the guy will certainly be convinced that is girl is different, and maybe she is indeed, up to him to find out.

Guys in prison are also covered in tatoos, but maybe that doesn't mean anything either....

What a narrow-minded bullshit, give me break! Thai Buddhist monks, high-standing people who are, in fact highly educated, posses an excellent reputation do, have tattoos...so what meaning has that IYHO? I am more than curious to get to know what shady group you're going to associate these people with. I am a female, living in the LOS. I do have various visible Tattoos and I am NOT a bar girl, no punk, no rocker, no sailor, not lesbian, not a tomboy, not a trans, I have NEVER ever been in prison - last, but not least, I don't do any kind of drugs... and I find my self in good company, I had and have the pleasure to meet with and get to know quite a few really interesting, inspiring and worldly, tattooed people with backgrounds similar to mine in terms of individuality, education, zest of life... no matter what the sex, female, male or something in between, great people from all walks of life, many nationalities and cultural backgrounds. Well, Mr. Lancelot, what does this mean, what is your bias against people like me? Get a life. Open your mind! Life can be so very much more bright and fun...

......since when was monks highly educated ?

Ok, Drukpa Kunley had at least some thing going for him,

but the rest can at best beg in a badly broken pidgin english,

while doing some pagan rituals to scare away gremlins and/or get more tip, where the latter overrides the former.

• Like 1

Yeah farang woman have NEVER taken any guy to the cleaners I'm sure. I'm sure most of the expats here in Thailand have ex's back home who took them for everything so why is it so different here?

Why is it as a fall back when there are no more excuses we turn to compare to other woman and other countries outside of Thailand.

This is a Thai topic in Thailand, why should we care that it happens with other ladies in other countries?

Oh now I see.. that makes it all ok in that case!!! clap2.gif

Edited by Straight8

Guys in prison are also covered in tatoos, but maybe that doesn't mean anything either....

Beam me up Scotty  Posted Image

Get me out of here please, Scotty Posted Image

What a narrow-minded bullshit, give me break! Thai Buddhist monks, high-standing people who are, in fact highly educated, posses an excellent reputation do, have tattoos...so what meaning has that IYHO? I am more than curious to get to know what shady group you're going to associate these people with. I am a female, living in the LOS. I do have various visible Tattoos and I am NOT a bar girl, no punk, no rocker, no sailor, not lesbian, not a tomboy, not a trans, I have NEVER ever been in prison  -  last, but not least, I don't do any kind of drugs... and I find my self in good company, I had and have the pleasure to meet with and get to know quite a few really interesting, inspiring and worldly, tattooed people with backgrounds similar to mine in terms of individuality, education, zest of life... no matter what the sex, female, male or something in between, great people from all walks of life, many nationalities and cultural backgrounds. Well, Mr. Lancelot, what does this mean, what is your bias against people like me? Get a life. Open your mind! Life can be so very much more bright and fun...

I think you have misinterpreted his post. He was expressing an opinion that reflected his personal choice ie. He did not want a tattoo and did not want to have a wife or GF with one. That is something he is entitled to do as you are entitled to put forward a counter argument for your point of view. As for Thai Monks being high standing, I suggest you try and read some of the many articles (a lot are in Thai) on monks gambling, going with prostitutes, not to mention the rampant corruption that exists within any number of temples where donation money goes straight into the monk's pocket. Not what I call "high standing"

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think you have misinterpreted his post. He was expressing an opinion that reflected his personal choice ie. He did not want a tattoo and did not want to have a wife or GF with one. That is something he is entitled to do as you are entitled to put forward a counter argument for your point of view. As for Thai Monks being high standing, I suggest you try and read some of the many articles (a lot are in Thai) on monks gambling, going with prostitutes, not to mention the rampant corruption that exists within any number of temples where donation money goes straight into the monk's pocket. Not what I call "high standing"

Add kiddy-fiddling and animal abuse and you will have covered most of the video content currently in circulation.

A saffron robe and an orange bucket does not automotically turn a drunken fornicator into a man of God.

• Like 2

Actually as i was leaving i tried to tell him not to rush into anything and that all is not what it seems here,hopefully after a few days up in Isaan with the relatives all there with their hands out he may just come to his senses ,but about 6 months ago myself and a few friends were talking to a guy who was broke after losing two ,yes two houses to women and this was someone who lives here ,was it P T Barnham that said "never give a sucker an even break"

I think it was there's a sucker born every min. But i could be wrong.

I have got it very well and right, maybe you would want to re-assess your interpretation of my post?! Lancelot's outspoken prejudice against tattooed people is what I am commenting on, no more, no less.

I don't read anywhere, also not between the lines, that he is just expressing his personal taste on a woman's appearance (by talking about male prison-inmates and the like..)! That would have been his very own business and I would not have even bothered to waste another thought...

It is good to see, that you have tried to do your home work, mate and yeah, right, reading Thai is not yet one of the skills I posses (who gives a sh*t? )and by doing your homework accurately & with an in-depth research, you would have known that I -by all means- am very well aware of the foul apples, one also finds in the Thai monk-hood. I did not say ALL Thai Buddhist monks, since I do not know them all personally and I do not at all tend to pigeonhole anyone or anything, it's as simple as that!

Guys in prison are also covered in tatoos, but maybe that doesn't mean anything either....

Beam me up Scotty  Posted Image

Get me out of here please, Scotty Posted Image

What a narrow-minded bullshit, give me break! Thai Buddhist monks, high-standing people who are, in fact highly educated, posses an excellent reputation do, have tattoos...so what meaning has that IYHO? I am more than curious to get to know what shady group you're going to associate these people with. I am a female, living in the LOS. I do have various visible Tattoos and I am NOT a bar girl, no punk, no rocker, no sailor, not lesbian, not a tomboy, not a trans, I have NEVER ever been in prison  -  last, but not least, I don't do any kind of drugs... and I find my self in good company, I had and have the pleasure to meet with and get to know quite a few really interesting, inspiring and worldly, tattooed people with backgrounds similar to mine in terms of individuality, education, zest of life... no matter what the sex, female, male or something in between, great people from all walks of life, many nationalities and cultural backgrounds. Well, Mr. Lancelot, what does this mean, what is your bias against people like me? Get a life. Open your mind! Life can be so very much more bright and fun...

I have got it very well and right, maybe you would want to re-assess your interpretation of my post?! Lancelot's outspoken prejudice against tattooed people is what I am commenting on, no more, no less.

I don't read anywhere, also not between the lines, that he is just expressing his personal taste on a woman's appearance (by talking about male prison-inmates and the like..)! That would have been his very own business and I would not have even bothered to waste another thought...

It is good to see, that you have tried to do your home work, mate and yeah, right, reading Thai is not yet one of the skills I posses (who gives a sh*t? )and by doing your homework accurately & with an in-depth research, you would have known that I  -by all means-  am very well aware of the foul apples, one also finds in the Thai monk-hood. I did not say ALL Thai Buddhist monks, since I do not know them all personally and I do not at all tend to pigeonhole anyone or anything, it's as simple as that!

Is it your tattoos that make you feel that you must be so aggressive in your posts? I have two teenage daughters and would do everything possible to discourage them from getting a tattoo because of the social ramifications of visible tattoos in later life, but that is my opinion. On the other hand I have no problem at all with one daughters obsession with piercing every part of her body so please don't think I am an old prude.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app