Chonburi: Motorcycle crash costs foreign man his leg

webfact

"after his motorcycle crashed into a speedboat parked on the beach"

That is a strange statement, it is wrongly infering that the motorcycle was in charge. Motorcycled dont "crash" they are "crashed" by the rider.

Is the reporter trying to be polite to the guy or just using silly phrases without realising it I wonder?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of motorbike was he driving since he could be thrown 50 meters from impact..

Any kind of bike. It's a complex calculation with lots of variables, but a throw of 50m after colliding with a stationary object implies a speed in the region of 65 klm/h at impact. Not really that fast.

your kidding right, 65k crash equals 50mt throw as you Put it, Perhaps you could outline your calculations, this idiot was cruising to say the least to be thrown 50m

The idiot is the one who wasn't there that calls others names, and doesn't know all the details.

For all we know, the boat was illegally parked with no lights, reflectors, or anything, and dimly lit streets; a hundred different scenarios & details.

If misfortune strikes home to you, can we call you names too?

Having an accident while driving at high speed in the rain isn't a misfortune, it's a probable outcome.

Theprasit road is wide with two lanes on each side, shouldn't be too difficult to avoid a parked trailer carrying a speedboat.

Since the trailer was parked illegally, I hope the driver will get a parking ticket.

What kind of motorbike was he driving since he could be thrown 50 meters from impact..

Any kind of bike. It's a complex calculation with lots of variables, but a throw of 50m after colliding with a stationary object implies a speed in the region of 65 klm/h at impact. Not really that fast.

your kidding right, 65k crash equals 50mt throw as you Put it, Perhaps you could outline your calculations, this idiot was cruising to say the least to be thrown 50m

Here's a link with the calculations - fill your boots. http://www.tarorigin.com/art/Arich/

Throw plus slide, particularly in the wet, would be around 50m at approximately 65klm/h if hitting a stationary object head on, subject to the variables in the equation. I've high-sided at slow speeds like that and wound up more than 50M from launch point. Also wound up a lot closer due to different circumstances.

Anyway, we don't have enough information to confirm his speed. He may have hit the trailer a glancing blow, maybe he got the brakes on before impact.....too many unknowns.

The lad was practicing his off-road sand riding skills - you know, for riding the deserts of North Africa when he gets home. Probably one of them 250cc Kawi's or Hondas. Gets into a tank slapper, loses control and whammo, nails a boat.

Not hard to reach a rational conclusion.

Before commenting further be a good idea to read the news story at the URL below that appears to be more accurate reporting.

Pattaya Police were informed that a motorbike had crashed into a boat trailer at Thepprasit Rd. Police are now in the process of contacting the owner of the boat trailer as it is illegal to park boat trailers on the roadside.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/08/14/tourist-severely-injured-after-crashing-into-a-boat-trailer/

wow simple1, you have to lighten up. The original story on this said it happened on the beach. I was making a tongue-in-check story up of why the guy may have been riding on the beach in the first place (something everyone else on page one was doing). Excuse me for not reading the page two story.

It's sickening to read so many sarcastic comments here...What if is a friend of yours who has lost a leg in a accident ?

Already did with a mate at college when he lost an argument with a Birmingham double decker bus on his bike. We named him 'Stumpy' afterwards.

So what this thread shows is that what is considered news is really made-up stories or badly written, even more poorly translated versions of some situation that happened in Thailand, but which should not ever be discussed because there's no way to know what really are the facts or what is fiction.

Before all you bush lawyers and comedian's make a comment/speculate, why not read the story correctly.? coffee1.gif I f you look at the photo published on the link site, he is clearly lying on a bitumen surface and not a beach. That suggest,s he crashed into a boat trailer parked on the road which is illegal. That is why the police want to question the boat trailers owner.

Look up MY #54 have posted there that throws a different story altogether.

So what this thread shows is that what is considered news is really made-up stories or badly written, even more poorly translated versions of some situation that happened in Thailand, but which should not ever be discussed because there's no way to know what really are the facts or what is fiction.

Well said; let alone bias and one-sided stories. Take them with a grain of salt, eh?

It's sickening to read so many sarcastic comments here...What if is a friend of yours who has lost a leg in a accident ?

I'd certainly help my friend look for it, but I might charge a finder's fee!

Edited by MaxYakov

"Police from Banglamoong District, Chonburi province, was alerted to investigation the scene, where a foreigner was found unconscious"

Quite surprised why the witness who saw the poor guy crashing and been thrown 50 m didn't find it necessary to call for help or the police.

Here's a link with the calculations - fill your boots. http://www.tarorigin.com/art/Arich/

Throw plus slide, particularly in the wet, would be around 50m at approximately 65klm/h if hitting a stationary object head on, subject to the variables in the equation. I've high-sided at slow speeds like that and wound up more than 50M from launch point. Also wound up a lot closer due to different circumstances.

Anyway, we don't have enough information to confirm his speed. He may have hit the trailer a glancing blow, maybe he got the brakes on before impact.....too many unknowns.

Yep. Another unknown is if the motorbike had one of those experimental, 50-meter (guaranteed) ejection seats. The FDR should disclose the details.

I was going ok with the explanation in this article until I got to this bit Image30.gif

• Like 2

The lad was practicing his off-road sand riding skills - you know, for riding the deserts of North Africa when he gets home. Probably one of them 250cc Kawi's or Hondas. Gets into a tank slapper, loses control and whammo, nails a boat.

Before commenting further be a good idea to read the news story at the URL below that appears to be more accurate reporting.

Pattaya Police were informed that a motorbike had crashed into a boat trailer at Thepprasit Rd. Police are now in the process of contacting the owner of the boat trailer as it is illegal to park boat trailers on the roadside.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/08/14/tourist-severely-injured-after-crashing-into-a-boat-trailer/

wow simple1, you have to lighten up. The original story on this said it happened on the beach. I was making a tongue-in-check story up of why the guy may have been riding on the beach in the first place (something everyone else on page one was doing). Excuse me for not reading the page two story.

rather than following the herd & posting yet another inane comment after a guy has lost a part of his leg, how about growing up

Edited by simple1

And soon the TV forum users will say that dam_n Thai was wrong for the Farang to loose his leg. Any way he still got one leg so no more speeding in the wheelchair next time.

NB: I don;t like Farang always speed around on bikes.

Have you any idea what an electric wheelchair at full speed can cause for damage to its inhabitant.....I guess some knee-caps will be relocated towards the pelvis-area.

As one of the original members of Thai Visa I am disgusted to how the site has deteriorated into uncaring sarcastic trash comments….this is a HUMAN with family and they are going to have a nightmare repatriating this guy

Sadbah.gif

Why? They will be able to get him a cheap ticket with one of those discount airlines.....you know the ones with little or no leg room....and he will be home before you know it!

And soon the TV forum users will say that dam_n Thai was wrong for the Farang to loose his leg. Any way he still got one leg so no more speeding in the wheelchair next time.

NB: I don;t like Farang always speed around on bikes.

Have you any idea what an electric wheelchair at full speed can cause for damage to its inhabitant.....I guess some knee-caps will be relocated towards the pelvis-area.

I would put it this way for a few posters.

Have you any idea what damage an electric wheelchair at full speed can cause to those in front of it at high speed. Watch out.

Edited by harrry

rather than following the herd & posting yet another inane comment after a guy has lost a part of his leg, how about growing up

I was going to say the same thing...only about the rider....

"rather than following the herd (drunken tourist) & riding around drunk like the rest of those fools and losing a leg....how about growing up and being a responsible adult."

Actually I don't really care what he was doing and the fact he lost his leg is something he will have to live with. But his stupidity is in no way off limits when it comes to sarcastic comments. He did something stupid, we all have. Only he got his mug plastered all over the news because of his stupidity.

I have a feeling he will be moaning and groaning the rest of his life about how unfair the system is because he will figure he "can't" work and needs social assistance.

Would love to follow this guys life for the next 10 years to see what sort of a person he will become! Not judging, just saying.

Regardless of who was to blame the guy will probably have to live without a foot. A lower limb amputation is easier to adapt to than an above knee one but none are easy. Just hope it does not happen to you and try to protect yourself with a helmet and not getting on a bike drunk. It is too late to lecture him.

"Hope it doesn't happen to you and try to protect yourself with a helmet" ???

Who in hell wears a helmet on their foot?facepalm.gif

den

Regardless of who was to blame the guy will probably have to live without a foot. A lower limb amputation is easier to adapt to than an above knee one but none are easy. Just hope it does not happen to you and try to protect yourself with a helmet and not getting on a bike drunk. It is too late to lecture him.

"Hope it doesn't happen to you and try to protect yourself with a helmet" ???

Who in hell wears a helmet on their foot?facepalm.gif

den

If you wear a helmet you may at least survive to know you lost a foot. Yes I could have said wear proper footware.high support motorcycle booots and leathers every time you get on a bike but this is a bit impracticable here.

Edited by harrry

How long before one of our fruitloop TV naysayers manages to pin this on the Thai bloke for parking his boat on the beach? blink.png

I'm still holding out for the blame being laid on the railing heights of Thai balconies or that someone didn't pay tea money or that Hitler's picture was displayed on the boat. I'm pretty sure those three things alone are to blame for 90% of the bad things that happen here to otherwise blameless farangs according to the resident gurus.