Chonburi: Motorcycle crash costs foreign man his leg

webfact

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of who was to blame the guy will probably have to live without a foot. A lower limb amputation is easier to adapt to than an above knee one but none are easy. Just hope it does not happen to you and try to protect yourself with a helmet and not getting on a bike drunk. It is too late to lecture him.

And the wearing or not wearing of a helmet would have prevented this happening? facepalm.gif

Regardless of who was to blame the guy will probably have to live without a foot. A lower limb amputation is easier to adapt to than an above knee one but none are easy. Just hope it does not happen to you and try to protect yourself with a helmet and not getting on a bike drunk. It is too late to lecture him.

And the wearing or not wearing of a helmet would have prevented this happening? facepalm.gif

You may like to read post 88

You may like to read post 88

My comment remains the same!

Do we know if he was or was not wearing a helmet?

The wearing of a helmet does not prevent accidents!

How long before one of our fruitloop TV naysayers manages to pin this on the Thai bloke for parking his boat on the beach? blink.png width=20 alt=blink.png>

Who needs TV naysayers? Looks like the police will pin it on the bike rider - ad try to recover damages to the boat. They boat could well have been illegally parked...but I doubt that will matter much to the police.

And there it is.

How long before one of our fruitloop TV naysayers manages to pin this on the Thai bloke for parking his boat on the beach? blink.png

I'm still holding out for the blame being laid on the railing heights of Thai balconies or that someone didn't pay tea money or that Hitler's picture was displayed on the boat. I'm pretty sure those three things alone are to blame for 90% of the bad things that happen here to otherwise blameless farangs according to the resident gurus.

No no it can NEVER be a Thais fault, just ask any Thai.

How long before one of our fruitloop TV naysayers manages to pin this on the Thai bloke for parking his boat on the beach? blink.png

I'm still holding out for the blame being laid on the railing heights of Thai balconies or that someone didn't pay tea money or that Hitler's picture was displayed on the boat. I'm pretty sure those three things alone are to blame for 90% of the bad things that happen here to otherwise blameless farangs according to the resident gurus.

No no it can NEVER be a Thais fault, just ask any Thai.

Sigh............coffee1.gif

Who needs TV naysayers? Looks like the police will pin it on the bike rider - ad try to recover damages to the boat. They boat could well have been illegally parked...but I doubt that will matter much to the police.

If a boat is illegally parked on a beach, it doesn't give anyone the right to smash into it because it shouldn't have been there. An insurance company recently paid my damage claim for a motorbike accident where I was in a lane that I legally was not allowed to be in. But that didn't mean I was invisible, or that the truck driver had a right to try and kill me.

If a boat is illegally parked on a beach, it doesn't give anyone the right to smash into it because it shouldn't have been there. An insurance company recently paid my damage claim for a motorbike accident where I was in a lane that I legally was not allowed to be in. But that didn't mean I was invisible, or that the truck driver had a right to try and kill me.

This incident was on Threppasit Road opp the night market, near the main highway to Sattahip. the beach is 3 kilometers away. the boat was parked on the road. is anyone reading posters updates ?????facepalm.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

But the low railings ARE dangerous... That is why so many countries have building standards for these things - there is a liability - unlike tea money or Hitler's picture.

• Like 1

Anyone in their right mind would have been racing around a bed with a sweet young thang at those hours.

My sympathies to this young man.

His indiscrections are going to cost him loads in medical bills and also for that boat, never mind the potential loss of his leg and a lifetime to remember.

As Ned Kelly said... 'Such is life'.

But the low railings ARE dangerous... That is why so many countries have building standards for these things - there is a liability - unlike tea money or Hitler's picture.

The only reason some countries have those building standards is...

because someone in a position of wealth or power had a young nephew lose his leg in a druken accident with a boat in the wee hours due to said 'low railings'...

and the aforementioned rich/powerful individual visited the standards office in anger...

throwing around tea money...

and waving a photo of Hitler claiming it was his 'powerful uncle' who will get them if they do not comply!

Thats the ONLY reason those countries have such said 'railing height standards'.

facepalm.gifclap2.gifrolleyes.gif

He also suspected that the foreigner was drunk, as the motorcycle swung before it crashed into a speedboat which was parked on the beach.

Or maybe the bike swung because he was riding it at speed on an uneven sandy surface. Just saying.

Either way, this is the kind of stupidity that gives other foreigners in Thailand a bad name, people who are working here and living quiet normal lives. If this particular guy was a single lone nut it wouldn't be so bad, but Thai people read about foreigners getting drunk and acting stupidly so often that the rest of us carry a stigma which is always there below the surface. The fact that Thais drink a lot and crash their own bikes all the time doesn't matter, a visitor to this nation goes riding down a beach and not noticing theres a boat right ahead, boats in general are not known for their inconspicuousness, makes tourists into a laughing stock with all the repercussions that come with that. Maybe I'm getting old but I wish these kids would sharpen up and behave like honoured guests in this nation, instead of lunatics.

maybe he hit the breaks,

Actually, he is out of a limb! I think the story is fictitious and you are pulling my leg. Hire Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan to do a sequel entitled "Legless in Chonburi", in Russian

What a comedian. Make your words sweet; in case one day, you have to eat them. At some point we all have misfortune, and would like others to try and understand.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 2

He also suspected that the foreigner was drunk, as the motorcycle swung before it crashed into a speedboat which was parked on the beach.

Or maybe the bike swung because he was riding it at speed on an uneven sandy surface. Just saying.

Either way, this is the kind of stupidity that gives other foreigners in Thailand a bad name, people who are working here and living quiet normal lives. If this particular guy was a single lone nut it wouldn't be so bad, but Thai people read about foreigners getting drunk and acting stupidly so often that the rest of us carry a stigma which is always there below the surface. The fact that Thais drink a lot and crash their own bikes all the time doesn't matter, a visitor to this nation goes riding down a beach and not noticing theres a boat right ahead, boats in general are not known for their inconspicuousness, makes tourists into a laughing stock with all the repercussions that come with that. Maybe I'm getting old but I wish these kids would sharpen up and behave like honoured guests in this nation, instead of lunatics.

maybe he hit the breaks,

Will guys read the updates.

IT HAPPENED ON THE MAIN HIGHWAY, 3 kilometers from the beach <deleted>

• Like 1

He has a lifetime of paying up to $30000 every three years for a protheis.

Only if he goes to America.

Sorry about the leg, Jeez that must have been a nasty moment.

Acturally he does in Australia to unless he stays on a pension.

Australia does have a scheme which entitles people to a leg if they cannot afford it. The service is ran on a state basis but with Commonwealth Funding. The leg I got was worth $10000 and if I was working I would have to pay. It is a good leg but basic better ones can go up to $60000 . cannot use it now for other reasons.

Thailand actually does provide anyone who needs it with a leg free. They are excelent locally made legs.They offered me one free too but I did not accept because I cannot use it.

Edited by harrry

Actually, he is out of a limb! I think the story is fictitious and you are pulling my leg. Hire Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan to do a sequel entitled "Legless in Chonburi", in Russian

A leg-up comment from a "heartless and ill informed" poster. Tsk, tsk. When are we going to lego of this? Oh yeah, technically he isn't "Legless" because he has two spares (I hope it's still two).

Edited by MaxYakov

"Hope it doesn't happen to you and try to protect yourself with a helmet" ???

Who in hell wears a helmet on their foot?facepalm.gif

den

If you wear a helmet you may at least survive to know you lost a foot. Yes I could have said wear proper footware.high support motorcycle booots and leathers every time you get on a bike but this is a bit impracticable here.

Yep, impracticable. That's because flip-flops are the item to be seen in on a motorbike in Thailand. Got to maintain one's fashion sense on the road!

den

If you wear a helmet you may at least survive to know you lost a foot. Yes I could have said wear proper footware.high support motorcycle booots and leathers every time you get on a bike but this is a bit impracticable here.

Yep, impracticable. That's because flip-flops are the item to be seen in on a motorbike in Thailand. Got to maintain one's fashion sense on the road!

Yes when scooters came to australia I always cringed when I saw the beautiful young girls riding them in small bikinis. A most pleasaqnt sight but I know what they can look like after even a fairly small fall.

Unbelievable! A man loses a leg and all of the above posters can only make jokes about it. I only hope it happens to each of you.

Just to clarify, would that 'hope' be only one leg and not be expanded to two or three (if available)?

harrry, on 14 Aug 2013 - 22:15, said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

den

Yes when scooters came to australia I always cringed when I saw the beautiful young girls riding them in small bikinis. A most pleasaqnt sight but I know what they can look like after even a fairly small fall.

Bikiniless?!