British Club Bangkok introduces new dress code

Arkady

Determined to put a stop to years of declining standards and sloppily attired members and guests the British Club has introduced a new dress code that was approved by members at an EGM in June. The essence of the new dress code is as below and for the benefit of the hard pressedThai staff who are tasked with imposing the new standards on sometimes cantankerous farang members the new dress code is accompanied by almost idiot proof illustrations, including Scottish national dress. What is missing is of course an illustration of the national dress of Papua New Guinea and, due to this unfortunate oversight, club staff will be unprepared for a visit by a dignatory from that country in full national dress regalia including penis sheath. They might also be confused by members wearing T shirts with the logo of French Connection UK emblazoned on them, since this could easily be interpreted as an offensive inscription to the untrained eye unaccustomed to such trompe d'oeil deceptions. Nevertheless the move seems a step in the right direction for members who wish to relax in their planters chairs and enjoy their gin and bitters again, as in days gone by, undisturbed by the sight of oiks in wife beaters, hip hop shorts or back to front baseball caps.

Before 6pm: Smart Casual
Members believe that during the daytime one should dress in the Clubhouse as one would to visit close friends – smart, casual, friendly and neat – suitable for the dining room not the bedroom nor garden!

After 6pm: Smart
During the evening, Members believe that what you wear should be slightly less casual so there will be no shorts and for males no open-toe shoes or sandals. Of course for formal functions being held at the Club, formal wear, business suits, military uniforms, or national dress is also permitted.

after-6-no.jpg
after-6-yes.jpg
before-6-no.jpg
before-6-yes.jpg

Source: http://www.britishclubbangkok.org/index.php/dresscode.html

Open toed sandals will be allowed after 6pm with black socks...

Hmmm and what colour will your toe nails be under your socks,,giggle.gif

SOCKs they just cramp my style man BTW what colour do want my nails to be..rolleyes.gif .. LOL

Dress codes are all about what men should wear. Women can wear nin-on over non on. I don't mind as long as the women are dressed sexy

Agreed but they have banned mini skirts and leggings for women after 6pm and all types of shorts seem to be banned after 6 for both sexes. In the evenings women are only allowed to wear "separates" and elegant dresses. It is notable that there are no women on the general committee and none ever show up to the AGMs or EGMs which are very poorly attended by less than 10% of the voting membership, mostly over 60s. Nearly half of the members are non-voting because they are not British or honorary British, i.e. from White Commonwealth countries.

The club is following in the Thai tradition. Here is a dress code that Pibulsongkram tried to impose in the early 40s to get Thais to spruce up and wear more European style dress. He seemed to be mainly down on women flashing boobs and Muslims wearing sarongs. He also made government offices refuse service to people arriving without hats and mandated the wearing of proper shoes,. not sandals, at the race courses, a law that persists to this day, which is why you see hawkers renting out shoes outside the Sports Club and the Turf Club on race days.

post-23829-0-98904200-1376650033_thumb.p

To be honest, it's hardly a hardship to wear smart casual. I think proper tailored shorts, and suitable footwear should be permitted but these dress codes are hardly that bad. PLenty of other places people can go, if they want to dess down.

I think dressing appropriately should be expected in any establishment.

OK you may wear shorts and singlet in a Soi Cowboy bar (and expect to be treated as something of a Yahoo of course) but mid-scale or higher places - please!

I have not been to the BC for 35 years or so but I am a regular at RBSC and Polo Clubs where thankfully they have a Dress Code in most Outlets which is rigorously observed by Members - though without any real thought; comes naturally I guess.

'though I did have to ask the Manager at the Polo Club Restaurant at lunchtime one day to have a Farang removed until he dressed properly - he was a Guest of a Member, but in the Dining Room wearing Shorts and - worse - a very loose sports type singlet. Totally inappropriate for the venue.

As the BC has apparently realised, if you let standards slip they will continue to slide fast downhill until someone finally says "enough".

Patrick

I totally agree with the declining standards.

Not specifically in clubs but in general. People, no matter female or male used to know how to dress properly, and with style.

These days so many people just do not seem to care about their own appearance.

Otherwise such ideas to make you improve your looks would not be needed.

To be honest, it's hardly a hardship to wear smart casual. I think proper tailored shorts, and suitable footwear should be permitted but these dress codes are hardly that bad. PLenty of other places people can go, if they want to dess down.

What!! and meet the likes of you!!! biggrin.pngtongue.png

Similar dress appropriations were brought into effect at the Mandarin Oriental late last year.

I thought, bloody brilliant at the time, that will make the euro trash dress up a bit instead of walking around the shop in their shorts propped up by suspenders and the socks&sandals ensemble...

Until the afternoon before my wedding, I'd taken my folks over there for a drink before dinner - I was wearing shorts, very respectable shorts - college look shorts that wouldn't look out of place in the Hamptons shorts - anyway, waitress apologised and it clicked, no shorts, fortunately I had a change of clothes in the car, much laughter and frivolity ensued that evening due in no part that I should have known better.

I've often been intriguiged by The British Club the few times I've had to venture down to the DBD office, must remember to not wear shorts when my intrigue turns into adventure.

Tally ho ol'chaps...