My Planned estimated monthly budget for Thailand

kscott

And there in lies the reason most people are spending so much, rented gfs, wives who spend all their money and / or a penchant for hookers.

wink.png

you got it all wrong Mr. Spade because it's beyond your grasp that people exist who spend 285k Baht a month even though they don't pay rent, do not rent girlfriends, never buy jewelry for hookers and have a wife who spends only a small part of their income.

whistling.gif

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And there in lies the reason most people are spending so much, rented gfs, wives who spend all their money and / or a penchant for hookers.

wink.png

you got it all wrong Mr. Spade because it's beyond your grasp that people exist who spend 285k Baht a month even though they don't pay rent, do not rent girlfriends, never buy jewelry for hookers and have a wife who spends only a small part of their income.

whistling.gif

Spend it on what then? I mean, what could there possibly be to spend 300,000 Baht a month on in Thailand?

You need a Makro card, that should get the costs down.

Edited by MJP

wink.png

whistling.gif

Spend it on what then? I mean, what could there possibly be to spend 300,000 Baht a month on in Thailand?

about 20% of our food shopping is done in Makro.

how could anybody possibly explain the brush stroke and the paint that an old master like Rembrandt used to a blind person? would somebody who lives on 45k Baht a month understand that some people employ domestic staff who's salaries, accomodation, utilities and other fringe benefits amounts to 55-60k Baht a month?

wink.png

whistling.gif

about 20% of our food shopping is done in Makro.

how could anybody possibly explain the brush stroke and the paint that an old master like Rembrandt used to a blind person? would somebody who lives on 45k Baht a month understand that some people employ domestic staff who's salaries, accomodation, utilities and other fringe benefits amounts to 55-60k Baht a month?

Anyone remember this?

upstairs-downstairs-original-cast1.jpg

Great to see Mr Spade continuing his frontal assault on the morals of Farang in Thailand. Nothing like a few punters to set some of us off on a crusade, is there ?

Need to keep the deluded "you're living in a rat infested, non air conned, slum, eating rat on a stick brigade" in check.

And I bet my assumption that MOST men who spend a fair bit of cash in Thailand are losing a lot of money to women.

Do you disagree?

Need to keep the deluded "you're living in a rat infested, non air conned, slum, eating rat on a stick brigade" in check.

And I bet my assumption that MOST men who spend a fair bit of cash in Thailand are losing a lot of money to women.

Do you disagree?

My missus attempted to squeeze me for 10k this morning, told her to sling it.

Sif I give a rats ass about her fathers 60th birthday, aint no way Im gunna pay for it.

the audacity of some people....sheesh.

Great to see Mr Spade continuing his frontal assault on the morals of Farang in Thailand. Nothing like a few punters to set some of us off on a crusade, is there ?

Do you disagree?

the fact that you used the wording "MOST men" makes it rather difficult to disagree with you wink.png

How much room does your computer take that you couldn't live without 100sqm?

I mean I wouldn't say no but it's certainly not essential.

I don't work from a laptop - I use a desktop and I've got two 23" screens for my work so I need a reasonably sized desk.

I have a Lazyboy recliner that I consider to be essential and a large TV.

I've been here 5 years so I've accumulated a lot more "stuff" than I really wanted to but it all needs to be stored.

I don't care for things like widescreen TVs and lazyboys. I sold all my possessions years ago and everything I own can fit in a bag small enough to carry on as hand luggage to a flight.

I own a basic smart phone (cheap Samsung Y), a cheap netbook, and some clothes.

I don't want anything more either.

I don't care for things like widescreen TVs and lazyboys. I sold all my possessions years ago and everything I own can fit in a bag small enough to carry on as hand luggage to a flight.

Living the life of a back packer, not for me Iam afraid but am glad you are having fun with it.

A Singaporean hippie ? OK - now I've officially heard everything.

Hal, open the pod bay doors. I need to get out of the capsule. ;)

• Like 1

Living the life of a back packer, not for me Iam afraid but am glad you are having fun with it.

I don't own a backpack and don't stay in hostels or mingle with backpacker types.

A few years ago sure but not now.

I just don't get any happiness from 'things' and 'gadgets' and prefer to spend my money on experiences and travel.

A Singaporean hippie ? OK - now I've officially heard everything.

Hal, open the pod bay doors. I need to get out of the capsule. wink.png

Singaporean hippy? Are you talking about me?

I'm not from Singapore (spent 2 days there) nor am I a hippy. Far from it, they love everyone where as I hate everyone.

Maybe I missed your point or something?

How bad must your life be at home if you are prepared to come and live a subsistence existence on 40k odd baht a month especially when you are youngish and in your prime earning years?

I just don't understand it. blink.png

Some people rather not waste their fun years worrying about their earning potential, or may not have to.

But you knew that and were just looking to get a bite off the 'I earn 35k p/m and save 20k p/m easily which is more than my friends back home can' crowd.

• Like 1

How bad must your life be at home if you are prepared to come and live a subsistence existence on 40k odd baht a month especially when you are youngish and in your prime earning years?

Some people rather not waste their fun years worrying about their earning potential, or may not have to.

But you knew that and were just looking to get a bite off the 'I earn 35k p/m and save 20k p/m easily which is more than my friends back home can' crowd.

No I am serious. If he had money already he wouldn't be budgeting for a subsistence existence? What are exactly the fun years anyway?

What sort of fun do you reckon you are going to have on 40k baht a month in the outer burbs of Chiang Mai ? It doesn't sound too exciting to me?

Ok so you and I wouldn't do it but I think the guy kinda made his point when he broke down his expenditure.

Prime earning years? Do people still think like that?

Spend your best, healthiest years being a good little taxpaying lemming, working your tits off to build up a sum of money you'll only get your hands on when you retire and then only if the pension fund's investment manager hasn't decimated it on synthetic CDOs and mortgage backed securities.

I just don't understand it blink.png

• Like 2

Ok so you and I wouldn't do it but I think the guy kinda made his point when he broke down his expenditure.

Spend your best, healthiest years being a good little taxpaying lemming, working your tits off to build up a sum of money you'll only get your hands on when you retire and then only if the pension fund's investment manager hasn't decimated it on synthetic CDOs and mortgage backed securities.

There are many ways to earn money. You don't have to limit yourself to a good 'little taxpaying lemming'. In fact I would advise against it but hey I didn't think people still thought like that.

There are many ways to earn money. You don't have to limit yourself to a good 'little taxpaying lemming'. In fact I would advise against it but hey I didn't think people still thought like that.

Yes there are many ways to earn money and he seems to have found one that works for him so why assume that a youngish Western guy, living frugally in Bangkok is somehow squandering his best earning years?

What, pray, would you suggest Mr Living Large?

I just don't understand it. Posted Image

Ok so you and I wouldn't do it but I think the guy kinda made his point when he broke down his expenditure is.

I just don't understand it Posted Image

Yes there are many ways to earn money and he seems to have found one that works for him so why assume that a youngish Western guy, living frugally in Bangkok is somehow squandering his best earning years?

I came here very young and hit it very very lucky on the job front.

Now I am in my fifties, had a family, responsibilities etc..I often think back to living in the back sois' of Bangkok in my 20's and think what was I thinking!! I had a fantastic time but as you get older there is no appeal to living in a constrained space especially in a place like Bangkok and on a budget.

Of course everywhere is better when you are younger who needs 100 sq meters..I think the problem is when will you have to go home..not if...unless you are super lucky like I was..who you meet..not necessary what you know..

Btw, many people didn't think about being " little tax paying lemmings" is the only way, Infact there were believe it or not more opportunities back when I was younger because of the very few educated westerners over this way, Hong Kong was rocking..Singapore was just starting off..

I get fed up with these old guys who go on about pensions, security etc..they didn't have the balls to come here when they were younger and would have enjoyed themselves so much more if they had, but it's a fine line..there are consequences..now that I am old..I see what those consequences could have been..I was very innocent..there is a lot of truth about " squandering his best earning years"....being old and broke ain't fun either..

You can justify your life style and all of what you say is true..but it is also true, if you are on a budget here and intend to stay here..you are going to struggle..

If I had to fall one side of the line or the other, I would go with come here young and sod the consequences, if you don't try you' ll never know..let them criticize.

I can't tell you how many people thought I was a nutcase back in the late 70's just to put on a backpack and bugger off. I was also a pothead..so the criticism didn't get thru..thankfully..

• Like 1

I just don't understand it. blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

Subsistence existence?

Have you been paying attention or not to what us young guys on sub 45k per month incomes get up to?

Clearly not I think.

No one is suffering or living a substandard life. Most of us are living it up and having a pretty amazing time without having to throw cash around.

Though if you are a bit older and have never been in Thailand as a young guy I doubt you'd know anything about that.

When you reach a certain age Thailand exists only to extort money from you it seems.

You start thinking it's normal to have to pay for people to talk / date / sleep with you even those women who claim to be your girlfriend or wife.

Yep these are my prime years and I'd rather spend them having an absolute riot in a crazy city (BKK) which I love than back home in a place I think is great and lovely but was bored with about a decade ago that is 5x more expensive and not nearly as fun.

What sort of fun do you reckon you are going to have on 40k baht a month in the outer burbs of Chiang Mai ? It doesn't sound too exciting to me?

Again not sure if you are talking about me or not but I don't live in CM.

I pay 8k per month (10k including bills) to live in the CENTRE of BKK close to major transport links in a quiet soi 2 minutes away from a lively area filled with bars, restaurants, shops, super markets and more.

Again I'll mention it in case you didn't see before...it has a pool with poolside bar & restaurant, 2 other restaurants open till 2am that deliver to the room, a mini market open till 2am, massage, hair salon, fitness centre etc etc etc.

It's such a difficult existence...what a struggle!

I just don't understand it blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png width=20 alt=blink.png>

Let's not forget if you are alive or in good enough health to enjoy it.

Which so many people are not.

Seems like a risky game to me. Not prepared to play it.

Indeed many ways to earn money.

What do you think all the young guys living in BKK are doing? Living off their pocket money or paper round savings?

Always silly to assume as only spending 30-40k per month that is all they are earning or can afford to spend. ;)

• Like 1

Agree with all of your adjectives, but IMO they are not "hot" (as in sexy).

I find the European girls with the long legs, broad hips and sharper facial features much hotter.

I like slim and feminine women. I don't care where they are from or what their skin color is tbh. It's just that most Western European world do not fit this mold.

BTW many Thai girls have relatively long legs compared to the rest of their body.

Thai women (and men) have shorter legs compared to their body length. That is common in all east-asian people.

This different body/legs ratio is well documented in scientific research.

I actually only noticed this when I moved to Isarn. Some legs are very short.

Ok so you and I wouldn't do it but I think the guy kinda made his point when he broke down his expenditure is.

I came here very young and hit it very very lucky on the job front.

Now I am in my fifties, had a family, responsibilities etc..I often think back to living in the back sois' of Bangkok in my 20's and think what was I thinking!! I had a fantastic time but as you get older there is no appeal to living in a constrained space especially in a place like Bangkok and on a budget.

Of course everywhere is better when you are younger who needs 100 sq meters..I think the problem is when will you have to go home..not if...unless you are super lucky like I was..who you meet..not necessary what you know..

Btw, many people didn't think about being " little tax paying lemmings" is the only way, Infact there were believe it or not more opportunities back when I was younger because of the very few educated westerners over this way, Hong Kong was rocking..Singapore was just starting off..

I get fed up with these old guys who go on about pensions, security etc..they didn't have the balls to come here when they were younger and would have enjoyed themselves so much more if they had, but it's a fine line..there are consequences..now that I am old..I see what those consequences could have been..I was very innocent..there is a lot of truth about " squandering his best earning years"....being old and broke ain't fun either..

You can justify your life style and all of what you say is true..but it is also true, if you are on a budget here and intend to stay here..you are going to struggle..

If I had to fall one side of the line or the other, I would go with come here young and sod the consequences, if you don't try you' ll never know..let them criticize.

I can't tell you how many people thought I was a nutcase back in the late 70's just to put on a backpack and bugger off. I was also a pothead..so the criticism didn't get thru..thankfully..

Good post. If I died tomorrow, I'd have had a wonderful exciting life. Lucky this pot-smoking drunk decided to explore. Sometimes I look back and feel pity for my old oil working buddies in Africa, Siberia, Aberdeen etc. 500 quid a day but if they live to be 70, retire at 55, they've wasted half their life talking on facebook about watching whales and pissing away most their money when getting onshore.

One good friend has been wanting to come to live here for 15 years but can't leave his well paid job even though he owns two houses worth almost a million pounds.

One guy I play golf with came to work herein 1977 and still works 6 and 6 in Africa being over 70. Again a millionaire but just can't say no to the cash. I can't understand it - kids all grown up and working. MAybe some people are just workaholics in denial. They can't handle the real world.

15 years ago, when I was single and living in Bangkok, I was only earning 50k amonth and saving 20k. Why the hell did I get married?

Actually, I was speaking to an old friend who was telling me at the company he is the Manager of and I used to work for, there were lots of guys dying, some I knew, in their 50s. He said he averages one funeral a month. 20 years in Bangkok takes it's toll.

Agree with all of your adjectives, but IMO they are not "hot" (as in sexy).

I find the European girls with the long legs, broad hips and sharper facial features much hotter.

I like slim and feminine women. I don't care where they are from or what their skin color is tbh. It's just that most Western European world do not fit this mold.

BTW many Thai girls have relatively long legs compared to the rest of their body.

Thai women (and men) have shorter legs compared to their body length. That is common in all east-asian people.

This different body/legs ratio is well documented in scientific research.

I actually only noticed this when I moved to Isarn. Some legs are very short.

If a guy is skint, he can live cheaper in some areas of Isaan. Of course he would give up much of the nightlife which he might not be able to afford.

But there are beautiful women there, and not all with "short legs." You don't need to go to a bar and pay for them either. You are a hansum ma'.

Here are a couple with the long legs and high waistlines that Western women would die for, even though they aren't very tall. I put a red stripe at their waists.

post-164212-0-74033300-1379605884_thumb.

I pay 8k per month (10k including bills) to live in the CENTRE of BKK close to major transport links in a quiet soi 2 minutes away from a lively area filled with bars, restaurants, shops, super markets and more.

That "10k including bills"..... does that cover your visa as well ?

That "10k including bills"..... does that cover your visa as well ?

My visas are only 1900Baht a year and my work pays for it.