Do you use your car/truck as much as your bike/scooter?

mania

Car versus bike/scooter usage  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weary of waiting for 15 minutes or longer in a queue to get through a busy intersection with a traffic light. Huge increase in traffic in the past year or two. Motorbike much more convenient for local travels and much more economical to use.

• Like 1

Not bad cross section of votes

But over 400 views & only 37 votes

Dont be shy wink.png

Hi

Perhaps the confusion is resulting from people wondering just how useful a bike or scooter would be whilst underwater at all.

If you re-read the poll question, it doesn't say "driving".

:-)

TL

All you people that seem to prefer riding a bike here as compared to a car obviously place no value on your life. When riding do you ever look at all those paint marks on the roads and wonder what they are?

Paint marks?? are you referring to the lane dividing paint marks? What a strange post!!

Paint mark's he refer's to are what the police put on road where accident/crash has occurred. Often with car/bike number plate painted/sprayed also. It is a wake up call done to make people aware.

All you people that seem to prefer riding a bike here as compared to a car obviously place no value on your life. When riding do you ever look at all those paint marks on the roads and wonder what they are?

The only reason bikes are unsafe here is because of too many idiots are driving cars/pick ups that endanger the live of bikes. Do away with the cars/pick ups and it would be much safer to ride a bike here. And a lot less congestion too. By the way, 9 years here on both motorcycle and bicycle and not one single accident.

I ride my bike about 70% of the time, another reason bikes can be unsafe is other bikes riding on the wrong side of the road, and entering a main road at a junction without looking. When motorbikes come towards me on the wrong side of the road, I refuse to change my direction even if it means stopping which it sometimes does, even if it forces the other rider on to the road and facing oncoming traffic. If they hit an oncoming vehicle, then that is their fault and I would have no sympathy for them. Yes I know, I'm the Farang and if I was not in Thailand nothing would have happened, but if the oncoming rider was not on the wrong side of the road, also nothing would have happened.

The only reason bikes are unsafe here is because of too many idiots are driving cars/pick ups that endanger the live of bikes. Do away with the cars/pick ups and it would be much safer to ride a bike here. And a lot less congestion too. By the way, 9 years here on both motorcycle and bicycle and not one single accident.

The car drivers are indeed crazy. But so are the bike drivers. No helmets, speeding, passing on the left, on the right, down the middle. Many of my friends who have been in bike accidents were actually hit by other bike riders.

You're lucky you've not had an accident. I seem them all the time.

I have been here for eight years driving cars and riding bikes and never had an accident. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with luck, If you drive defensively, never speed, and always be aware of what is going on around you, and use common sense (which I know Thais are not noted for) you will be about 90% safe.

• Like 1

Paint marks?? are you referring to the lane dividing paint marks? What a strange post!!

Maybe he's referring to the white paint the cops use at the scene of an altercation??? blink.png

Maybe, I have driven many thousands of Kms here, I have never seen paint marks left by the police!!

Do you stick to dirt tracks?

Maybe he's referring to the white paint the cops use at the scene of an altercation??? Posted Image

Maybe, I have driven many thousands of Kms here, I have never seen paint marks left by the police!!

Do you stick to dirt tracks?

Nope and have never seen any paint makes other than the road markings!!

Probably one of those things where you were not aware of them.

Now that someone has mentioned it I bet you will see them from time to time.

I was the same way

Kind of like you never noticed a certain type of bike or car till you bought one then

you started noticing them

The car drivers are indeed crazy. But so are the bike drivers. No helmets, speeding, passing on the left, on the right, down the middle. Many of my friends who have been in bike accidents were actually hit by other bike riders.

You're lucky you've not had an accident. I seem them all the time.

I have been here for eight years driving cars and riding bikes and never had an accident. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with luck, If you drive defensively, never speed, and always be aware of what is going on around you, and use common sense (which I know Thais are not noted for) you will be about 90% safe.

Actually, a lot of my friends who have been in accidents were hit by others while they were driving defensively, not speeding and aware of what's going on around them. Not much you can do when someone shoots out of a blind alley and smacks into you. That's why I mentioned luck does have something to do with this.

Probably one of those things where you were not aware of them.

Now that someone has mentioned it I bet you will see them from time to time.

I was the same way

Kind of like you never noticed a certain type of bike or car till you bought one then

you started noticing them

That is very true, I am off on a long trip next week, I bet I will see them everywhere!!

I have lived in Jomtien for four years and use my bike about 90% of the time. I have an older Toyota Corona that I bought two years ago and I have put about 3000 km on it. Hardly worth having at that rate. Better to rent. Toyota now for sale.

I think I would use the car far more if I lived on the Dark Side., but sitting in gridlocked traffic in a car in Pattaya is not my idea of a good time.

Haven't owned a car or a full time girlfriend in 8 years. thumbsup.gif

Being single is awesome.

Which one saves you more money?

More maintenance time?

Only bad part is that one gets ridden more than the other, but even then i can put her (the bike) up wet and she wont complain. smile.png

My bike has a period (oil change) every 3k kilos. biggrin.png

I use my bike 0% and truck 100%.

I live in Phuket. Why would I ride a bike?

I ride my bikes 95 per cent the car 5 per cent, I live in Phuket why would I drive the car! Horses for courses!!

I've seen too many dead and dying bikers. In my pick-up I feel a bit safer.

And I'm not even talking about being mugged - as a mate of mine was a week or so ago by a couple of thugs on a bike and brandishing a machete. That story didn't even get into the press.

I ride my bikes 95 per cent the car 5 per cent, I live in Phuket why would I drive the car! Horses for courses!!

And I'm not even talking about being mugged - as a mate of mine was a week or so ago by a couple of thugs on a bike and brandishing a machete. That story didn't even get into the press.

What time of the day was this? I have seen a few bikers in the road but I have not seen many, motorbikes are only as dangerous as the rider who is riding it, if you drive very fast your chances of injury or worse are increased, if you drive without a helmet, talking on the phone sky larking about your chances of injury are increased, motorbiking by its very nature makes it more dangerous than being in a car etc, in over 40 yrs of riding bikes I have only had a few minor accidents, I love driving bikes and will continue to do so, safe biking to all!!

What time of the day was this? I have seen a few bikers in the road but I have not seen many, motorbikes are only as dangerous as the rider who is riding it, if you drive very fast your chances of injury or worse are increased, if you drive without a helmet, talking on the phone sky larking about your chances of injury are increased, motorbiking by its very nature makes it more dangerous than being in a car etc, in over 40 yrs of riding bikes I have only had a few minor accidents, I love driving bikes and will continue to do so, safe biking to all!!

Time of day of the mugging? - 2:00 am. He'd left the bar just up the road and was on his way home on a dead-end soi in Rawai. He's not that old, not fat, not drunk - just outnumbered.

Could be the same gang as this one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/661865-german-expat-mugged-by-phuket-teen-gang/

My friend said he went to the police and I emailed the Gazette about it, but no result in print, yet.

Time of day of the mugging? - 2:00 am. He'd left the bar just up the road and was on his way home on a dead-end soi in Rawai. He's not that old, not fat, not drunk - just outnumbered.

Could be the same gang as this one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/661865-german-expat-mugged-by-phuket-teen-gang/

My friend said he went to the police and I emailed the Gazette about it, but no result in print, yet.

I am never out at that time of the morning, it is the best time for things to happen unfortunately!! happens all over the world not just here!

this could happened to your mate anyway if he has decided to take a walk that night or if he was riding a bicycle.

Edited by ll2

this could happened to your mate anyway if he has decided to take a walk that night or if he was riding a bicycle.

Walk? Nobody walks in Phuket!

Except for maybe a newbie tourist who hasn't realised there aren't any meter taxis.

I would say I drive pick-up truck more often. Reason I have a wife and a baby 1.2 years old. Bike is just for my occassional rides sometimes daily commutes when car is not avaliable. When it comes to family comfort and safety is more important. Therefore I cannot justify spending 800k or ducati or 1000 cc bike, that money would be better spent on kids education or other things. As much as I love to have a nice bike, unless I become a millionaire overnight thats not happenning.

I would say I drive pick-up truck more often. Reason I have a wife and a baby 1.2 years old. Bike is just for my occassional rides sometimes daily commutes when car is not avaliable. When it comes to family comfort and safety is more important. Therefore I cannot justify spending 800k or ducati or 1000 cc bike, that money would be better spent on kids education or other things. As much as I love to have a nice bike, unless I become a millionaire overnight thats not happenning.

You do have a nice bike wink.png

Many Thai's & probably some falangs would love to have a new 500

It is not total price or highest speeds that make a good bike.

But the pleasure you get out of it.

Although I know from reading your posts you have had some trying times too smile.png