'No payment to Blair'

Lite Beer

This is being done on an entirely pro bono basis

so his Tonyness is covering all his own flights, accomadation, and "other" considerations in Thailand out of the goodness of his heart ?....BS

classic case of spin doctoring me thinks...there may be no "official fee" but he will be getting his pond of flesh in one way or another

If any of you all (including "likees") could be bothered to find out some background on this you could have read the entire Guardian article before braying away, and read this

But the foreign ministry has said the state is only paying for travel, accommodation, security and reception expenses of those invited – in addition to any organisational or public relations fees.............. A spokesman for Blair said the former prime minister was delighted to accept an invitation to a forum "in support of the Thai government's ongoing peace and reconciliation initiatives. This is an important time for Thailand's economic, social and democratic development and Tony Blair is very happy to help in whatever way he can.

"This is being done on an entirely pro bono basis; there is no fee and there never was." http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/16/thailand-denies-paying-tony-blair-fee-forum

you are really naive in the ways the world leaders or ex-leaders get "their" money aint you...wink.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why isn't our very own George W. getting a share of the gravy?

It just isn't fair, after all, he made Blair the man he is.

I agree, I think it is wholly unfair - but I think Tony has realised that their previous double act wasn't so popular. W would certainly be an interesting concept -he's probably get confused, and suggest invading Issan, cos it sound's a bit like Iran.

• Like 1

IIRC Thaksin once told a magazine-journalist that Bush & Blair were his "best friends", so of course Tony will be happy to show up for free, and should be considered unbiased ! wink.png

Of course he will - Tony though really is a political whore, so he would certainly sit well with Thaksin and his sister.

so his Tonyness is covering all his own flights, accomadation, and "other" considerations in Thailand out of the goodness of his heart ?....BS

classic case of spin doctoring me thinks...there may be no "official fee" but he will be getting his pond of flesh in one way or another

If any of you all (including "likees") could be bothered to find out some background on this you could have read the entire Guardian article before braying away, and read this

But the foreign ministry has said the state is only paying for travel, accommodation, security and reception expenses of those invited – in addition to any organisational or public relations fees.............. A spokesman for Blair said the former prime minister was delighted to accept an invitation to a forum "in support of the Thai government's ongoing peace and reconciliation initiatives. This is an important time for Thailand's economic, social and democratic development and Tony Blair is very happy to help in whatever way he can.

"This is being done on an entirely pro bono basis; there is no fee and there never was." http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/16/thailand-denies-paying-tony-blair-fee-forum

you are really naive in the ways the world leaders or ex-leaders get "their" money aint you...wink.png

No. You stated "so his Tonyness is covering all his own flights, accomadation, and "other" considerations in Thailand out of the goodness of his heart"

I pointed out to you that if you had researched instead of your knee jerk braying appeal to the masses on here you would have read that the Thai Government was

"paying for travel, accommodation, security and reception expensesin addition to any organisational or public relations fees"

I even pointed out the most relevant phrase in bold for you, but still you can't see. No point in carrying on this conversation with you.

Edited by jabek

No. You stated "so his Tonyness is covering all his own flights, accomadation, and "other" considerations in Thailand out of the goodness of his heart"

I pointed out to you that if you had researched instead of your knee jerk braying appeal to the masses on here you would have read that the Thai Government was

"paying for travel, accommodation, security and reception expensesin addition to any organisational or public relations fees"

I even pointed out the most relevant phrase in bold for you, but still you can't see. No point in carrying on this conversation with you.

What you are pointing out is the Guardian's report of what the Thai foreign minister said. This is Mr Surapong - a Thaksin acolyte and barefaced liar (not dissimilar to Blair).

In other words , based on where the statements are coming from, they are worthless & the Guardian is just reporting them in order to be fair.

Southpeel's comment has more veracity than the comments in the.Guardian article.

• Like 2

If any of you all (including "likees") could be bothered to find out some background on this you could have read the entire Guardian article before braying away,

you edited a bit out of your response to my post...

"This is being done on an entirely pro bono basis".....getting your travel, accomadation, security, etc etc paid for aint exactly "pro bono" is it.?..

so if you had comprehended what i was getting at in the first place, you would need to start knee jerk braying

BTW we never had a conversation going to not carry on with in the first place..

• Like 1

But the foreign ministry has said the state is only paying for travel, accommodation, security and reception expenses of those invitedin addition to any organisational or public relations fees.............. A spokesman for Blair said the former prime minister was delighted to accept an invitation to a forum "in support of the Thai government's ongoing peace and reconciliation initiatives. This is an important time for Thailand's economic, social and democratic development and Tony Blair is very happy to help in whatever way he can.

So he is being paid. It is just termed an Organizational or Public relations fee. Money is changing hands and politicians can claim as normal they are not lying, they are just being economical with the truth.

and politicians are almost as good as lawyers, when it comes to porkies. wink.png

Politicians in a lot of cases were lawyers before they put their noses in the trough went into public service....biggrin.png

so I guess being a professional liar in the early part of their careers became really useful later in their political pig swilling careers

• Like 1

and politicians are almost as good as lawyers, when it comes to porkies. wink.png

Politicians in a lot of cases were lawyers before they put their noses in the trough went into public service....biggrin.png

so I guess being a professional liar in the early part of their careers became really useful later in their political pig swilling careers

You're exacly right and I think many of these folks went back to my home country to learn the tricks of the trade.

What you are pointing out is the Guardian's report of what the Thai foreign minister said. This is Mr Surapong - a Thaksin acolyte and barefaced liar (not dissimilar to Blair).

In other words , based on where the statements are coming from, they are worthless & the Guardian is just reporting them in order to be fair.

Southpeel's comment has more veracity than the comments in the.Guardian article.

Did you read the guardian article - obviously not . If you had even bothered to follow the thread properly instead of leaping to stick your oar in as well you will see the the extract I provided from the Guardian provided both a statement from the Thai Government and one from Tony Blairs spokesman.

Why do you guys leap in trying to outdo each other on the outraged front without checking what you're arguing about?

Here's a useful link for you and your compatriots http://www.lmgtfy.com/

Did you read the guardian article - obviously not . If you had even bothered to follow the thread properly instead of leaping to stick your oar in as well you will see the the extract I provided from the Guardian provided both a statement from the Thai Government and one from Tony Blairs spokesman.

Why do you guys leap in trying to outdo each other on the outraged front without checking what you're arguing about?

I think I have figured out who Tony Blairs secret spokeman is........Its "Jabek"....are you a red shirt apologist as well ?

Lets consider the sources quoted.....The Thai Goverment...that upstanding/moral institution that never lies and the less said about his Tonyness and anyone associated with him the better...

If Tony Blair turns up you KNOW he's being paid. He doesn't walk out of his own front door unless there's money involved.

I am heaving a sigh of relief at last... Just to know that it is NOT only the East that is breeding this type of vermin.

But the foreign ministry has said the state is only paying for travel, accommodation, security and reception expenses of those invitedin addition to any organisational or public relations fees.............. A spokesman for Blair said the former prime minister was delighted to accept an invitation to a forum "in support of the Thai government's ongoing peace and reconciliation initiatives. This is an important time for Thailand's economic, social and democratic development and Tony Blair is very happy to help in whatever way he can.

So he is being paid. It is just termed an Organizational or Public relations fee. Money is changing hands and politicians can claim as normal they are not lying, they are just being economical with the truth.

So why is it not referred to as 'tea money' ?

or payment to treat the sick buffalo?

I think I have figured out who Tony Blairs secret spokeman is........Its "Jabek"....are you a red shirt apologist as well ?

Lets consider the sources quoted.....The Thai Goverment...that upstanding/moral institution that never lies and the less said about his Tonyness and anyone associated with him the better...

I see, I disagree with you and I'm a red shirt apologist. Childish logic resulting in childish rhetoric. If you can find any real problems with my post please point them out for discussion, otherwise leave me out of your "I've got a better insult for the UDD / PTP / PM than the last post" games.

How does Blair,who calls himself a Peace Envoy,have the nerve to attend this forum when he and his cronies just about destroyed Britain by allowing in millions of immigrants and asylum seekers and ruining the whole structure of British society and our way of life.

He will probably suggest that Thailands problems would be settled by allowing the whole continent of Africa in.

• Like 1

Blair may not be officially being paid,but there will no doubt be a payment in kind,of some sort,somewhere along the line.

And it all goes towards his relentless self promotion campaign as a suitable World Statesman to become the first President of Europe,which would look very nice in the Political History Books,just because he is no longer in power,don't be fooled that he no longer craves power,Leopard's don't change their spots! and this one has been widely reported to have made in excess of £50 Million pounds since he left the Premiership,mostly on the self promotion Worldwide Lecture circuit of rich windbags.

Power and excesses of Money go together!

Someone seems to have just realized that when TB gets a load of money and then publicly supports the Thaksin Amnesty Bill or praises the Yingluck Government it might not sound very convincing. So they pay his wife instead and claim TB doesn't get a single Baht.

actually, they paid her not to go to Thailand smile.png

• Like 1

How does Blair,who calls himself a Peace Envoy,have the nerve to attend this forum when he and his cronies just about destroyed Britain by allowing in millions of immigrants and asylum seekers and ruining the whole structure of British society and our way of life.

He will probably suggest that Thailands problems would be settled by allowing the whole continent of Africa in.

Piss poor effort to play the racist card.

Funny how there is an 'unnamed spokesman', why is that then? The reason why is that somebody is lying. Well, if you can lie about WMD's what's a few hundred grand here and there?

"Minister Surapong also denied the criticism that says the government is spending a lot of money to organize this event."

So he's telling the truth because he's been named.

Strange logic you have - no name = lying, name = not lying.

Thaksin says 'I'm finished with politics. I just want to come home to spend a peaceful retirement'. Obviously he's telling the truth.

Back to the drawing board on that sweeping statement I think

If a person believes what a PT member (or their patron saint) says, then you might believe that I wrote the Bible and extended my life 2000 years to do the necessary fact-checking. Next thing we'll be asked to believe is Chalerm's pink Bently was brought in to Thailand perfectly legally, with all taxes and duties paid.

Funny how there is an 'unnamed spokesman', why is that then? The reason why is that somebody is lying. Well, if you can lie about WMD's what's a few hundred grand here and there?

Assuming the mods are happy to let any post which includes Mr Blair, turn into a 'Blair is a war criminal', perhaps we can consider your obsession.

Did Mr Blair KNOW there were no WMD in Iraq?

I was always taught you can't prove a negative. You can prove you've found something, or prove you haven't found something.

Not finding something doesn't prove it's not there.

9 former public servants raking in cash on the speech circuit

3. Tony Blair: The former British Prime Minister has taken buckraking to new levels of greeds and sleaze. Ken Silverstein reported in the Atlantic that since leaving office in 2007, Tony Blair has transformed himself into a “human cash register,” pulling down millions speaking to everyone from Central Asian dictators to megabanks and has soaked up $30 million from giving speeches and consulting with governments and corporations. JPMorgan Chase alone forks over $4 million a year to Mr. Blair, and the All American Speakers Bureau, one of the agencies that lands him the gigs, lists his minimum speaking fee as $200,000. Silverstein notes that Donald Trump makes only half as much for giving talks. Meanwhile, Blair collects a pension which costs his fellow Brits $250,000 per year. http://www.salon.com/2013/07/17/the_buckraking_practices_of_hillary_clinton_and_8_other_political_heavies_partner/

"Tony Blair is very happy to help in whatever way he can. This is being done on an entirely pro bono basis. Of course there is a small matter of a 400,000 Pound pro bono contract signing fee.

Edited by dcutman

Assuming the mods are happy to let any post which includes Mr Blair, turn into a 'Blair is a war criminal', perhaps we can consider your obsession.

Did Mr Blair KNOW there were no WMD in Iraq?

I was always taught you can't prove a negative. You can prove you've found something, or prove you haven't found something.

Not finding something doesn't prove it's not there.

Fair point. However the 45 minute claim in the speech prior to the vote for war has been proved to be untruthful. Even by His Royal Tonyness himself at the Hutton inquiry.

He said he didn't know it was conventional weapons and thought it was chemical weapons. The man couldn't lie straight in bed.

Edited by delh

Why isn't our very own George W. getting a share of the gravy?

It just isn't fair, after all, he made Blair the man he is.

Er, do you mind if I disagree, Mr Blair and his wife managed this all on their own. To add to this, Blair saw an opportunity with George W and exploited it

rather magnificently.

You are right on one thing though, it isn't fair. George W ended up looking a fool whilst Phony Tony looked a statesman for a while afterwards.

Of course he's being paid. Far too intelligent to have it traceable though. He even shredded his own expense claims in the UK despite it being illegal.