Canadian arrested in Patong for theft of B100,000 from Chiang Rai hotel

webfact

wow - 100k baht ? Surely he must realize that he wouldn't get far, or last long, on a measly 100k ? Or is this a case of PO'd hotel owner trying to get some payback for some slight (real or imagined) ?

Too bad we almost never hear the other side of the story, as I'm sure there has to be more to it than he just decided to give up his job and run off to Phuket for 100k.

If that's the case then how many thai girlfriends get away with much more than that,, can i call the cops on my girl friend who fleeced me out of more than that ? I think NOT

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad for the reputation of other Canadians !

Oh give it a rest! He's not the first or last Canadian to be accused of a crime in Thailand, nor the victim of one. Please save you self righteous indignation for when there may actually be a verdict in this case...

Do we have an indignant closet-Canadian? Just checking.... whistling.gif

Oh give it a rest! He's not the first or last Canadian to be accused of a crime in Thailand, nor the victim of one. Please save you self righteous indignation for when there may actually be a verdict in this case...

I am not Canadian. I just get rather tired of people from what ever nationality posting how someones else's arrest here can affect their reputation...

I am not Canadian. I just get rather tired of people from what ever nationality posting how someones else's arrest here can affect their reputation...

OK, just a Canadian-sympathiser. That's cool. wink.png

I dare say,having been hired as freelance hotel and restaurant adviser myself. i have been ripped off every time for the contracted amount, it could be the same here, so he felt he would get some back?, note to self, stay ripped off and never steal from a Thai....coffee1.gif

As the other English Paper in Phuket writes, the man who made the complaint was a MR.Anthony, so also, ...... never steal from a Farang in TH. tongue.png

Let me add something....

He never worked for a hotel, he was teaching English in Chiang Mai. His girlfriend was from Chiang Rai. There quite possibly is a connection there, wouldn't be surprised if he got angry at his girlfriend, took cash and went to Patong to blow it on the ladies.

Careful. Slander and libel laws in Thailand are draconian and far reaching--even to the most innocuous-sounding insults and conjectures! ermm.gif

Never heard of anyone getting libel for posted comments.

Then you're not too familiar with TV rules and/or haven't lived long in Thailand?

Edited by Fookhaht

Guess what, I am not a fan of internet spying, and certainly not for the alleged theft of 100k baht.

So, if you were the victim, your morality wouldn't allow you to check the thief's facebook page in case he was stupid enough to give clues to his new location?

Or ... perhaps he wasn't stupid at all, and had no problems with advertising his current whereabouts because he was not aware that he had been accused of doing something wrong.

Despite having denied any wrongdoing, they have taken the word of the Brit and are currently planning to send him back to Chiang Rai!

Canadian arrested in Phuket after Facebook gives away his locale

Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_Phuket_Police_arrested_Mr_Sun

Phuket Police arrested Mr Sundstrom after they recognized photos that he had posted on his Facebook page were taken in Patong. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- Police last night arrested a Canadian man wanted for allegedly stealing 100,000 baht in Chiang Rai after photos he posted on his Facebook page were recognized as having been taken in Patong.

Police arrested David Peter Sundstorm, 39, after they spotted him walking out of a restaurant on Nanai Road (map here) at about 8pm, explained Patong Police Deputy Superintendent Somsak Thongkliang.

Officers tracked down Mr Sundstrom after a 58-year-old British man named by police only as “Mr Anthony” presented an arrest warrant for the Canadian along with proof he had been staying in Phuket’s top party town.

“Chiang Rai Provincial Court issued a warrant for Mr Sundstrom’s arrest on June 5. The warrant was issued in relation to a complaint that Mr Sundstorm stole 100,000 baht from Mr Anthony about a year ago,” said Lt Col Somsak.

“Mr Anthony figured out that Mr Sundstorm was hiding in Patong, so he reported the case to us. We checked Mr Sundstorm’s Facebook page and saw he had posted several pictures of places in Patong,” he said.

Police believe Mr Sundstrom had been staying in Patong for about three months before being discovered.

“We established that he was staying at a restaurant-guesthouse near Soi Nanai 2, so we went there and waited for him,” Lt Col Somsak said.

Officers moved in and arrested Mr Sundstorm after they saw him exit the restaurant and mount a motorbike.

“The man confirmed that he was Mr Sundstorm, but denied that he stole any money,” Lt Col Somsak said.

“Regardless, we placed him under arrest and sent him to Chiang Rai City Police to face legal action there,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Canadian-arrested-in-Phuket-after-Facebook-gives-away-his-locale-22003.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-19

"Reguardless of his innocence or guilt" we liked his bike so we sent him to Chajng Rai City police The bike seemed suspicious also so I gave it to my nephew hmmph .I mean Office rMingpoa, to interrogateand be sold to the highest bidder.

• 4 weeks later...

wow - 100k baht ? Surely he must realize that he wouldn't get far, or last long, on a measly 100k ? Or is this a case of PO'd hotel owner trying to get some payback for some slight (real or imagined) ?

Too bad we almost never hear the other side of the story, as I'm sure there has to be more to it than he just decided to give up his job and run off to Phuket for 100k.

Apparently he had no choice....Borasic lint...Skint...or in other words his visa had expired with no money.......Not having a pot to piss in... No money...A visa that had expired 3 months before...with a penalty of 500 baht per day...What else can a intelligent man do? Any more suggestions ?

Apparently he had no choice....Borasic lint...Skint...or in other words his visa had expired with no money.......Not having a pot to piss in... No money...A visa that had expired 3 months before...with a penalty of 500 baht per day...What else can a intelligent man do? Any more suggestions ?

An intelligent man would not get into this situation...

• Like 1

I see no reference to an expired visa or his monetary standing. Again we have the assumption of guilt. The arrest of a guilty man seems to go against the norm here in the Wild, Wild East. An easy, "arranged arrest" is always more convienient for "Press Op's"

Intelligent men get stabbed in the back all the time when they think there is no reasn t have there back covered.