I'm buying a used scooter, help please...

RaysFan

I'm buying a used scooter tonight. This is the process he walked me through...

1. He writes a bill of sale, we both sign it.

2. We give each other signed copies of our passports

3. I go to a company, pay 1000 baht, and they put the green book in my name, takes 30-60 days.

Does this sound correct? Anything I'm missing?

Detalis... I am in Chiang Mai, I am here on a business visa.

Thanks.

You need a work permit or certificate of residence to buy the scooter.

You both go to the vehicle licensing center to change the green book.

It's done by next day.

You pay after the VLC accept your documents.

VLC here

https://plus.google.com/111620431379175585491/about?gl=th&hl=en

He doesn't know what he's doing, you can't transfer ownership with the documents he is offering.

If he doesn't go with you to the office in working hours, don't buy it from him.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

It's done by next day.

VLC here

seller if non thai also needs one for some unknown reason.(the residency certificate)

It's done by next day.

VLC here

seller if non thai also needs one for some unknown reason.(the residency certificate)

Not required in CM at the moment.

Whats not required at the moment?

Anyways hes insisting that the agency will transfer the green book from him to me with a bill of sale signed by both of us and copies of our passports both signed. He said no residence certificates needed.

Sent from my GT-I9500

Anyways hes insisting that the agency will transfer the green book from him to me with a bill of sale signed by both of us and copies of our passports both signed. He said no residence certificates needed.

Sent from my GT-I9500

They're talking about a residence certificate. You can get one from your embassy or from immigration. A work permit or tabien bahn will also suffice. A passport alone will not be accepted by DLT.

Transfer of the registration of ownership for a bike or car takes minutes (literally) at your local DLT (if documents are in order). An inspection of the existing documentation and vehicle (by DLT staff) is required first. This takes 10 to 15 minutes, plus waiting time if yours is not the first vehicle.

If the seller is not prepared to accompany you and the bike to the DLT office in order to effect the transfer (and sale) of the bike. Walk away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somethings not right and there's hundreds of legitimate bikes for sale.

There are agencies that will provide a green book for any bike without any supporting documentation. They're not legitimate though.

Jerry

Sent from my GT-I9500

They're talking about a residence certificate. You can get one from your embassy or from immigration. A work permit or tabien bahn will also suffice. A passport alone will not be accepted by DLT.

Transfer of the registration of ownership for a bike or car takes minutes (literally) at your local DLT (if documents are in order). An inspection of the existing documentation and vehicle (by DLT staff) is required first. This takes 10 to 15 minutes, plus waiting time if yours is not the first vehicle.

If the seller is not prepared to accompany you and the bike to the DLT office in order to effect the transfer (and sale) of the bike. Walk away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are agencies that will provide a green book for any bike without any supporting documentation. They're not legitimate though.

Jerry

While the process at DLT takes minutes the wait and drive there takes up large part of the day. Some prefer just to pay the money and not have the hassle of waiting around or driving around.

Sent from my GT-I9500

Jerry

While the process at DLT takes minutes the wait and drive there takes up large part of the day. Some prefer just to pay the money and not have the hassle of waiting around or driving around.

I agree but the 30-60 day wait is crazy that is mentioned. It is a one day thing no need to wait so long. That is the only part that is fishy.

Sent from my GT-I9500

Jerry

I agree but the 30-60 day wait is crazy that is mentioned. It is a one day thing no need to wait so long. That is the only part that is fishy.

The shops who do the transfers do not go to DLT daily, they wait around for many customers and then go to get it done.

Mytion in Pattaya takes 4-6 weeks.

@lemoncake,

Ok that makes it more believable, but it it was that slow I would never go to them. I had my bike in my name in a day. Yes it did cost me half a day too.

:), its a choice, but with a copy of green book and receipt from the shop, is all legal and no problem, just the wait. Do note, if the shop already has many transfers, it may not take as long.

I really prefer to do this by going down to do it myself... problem is neither of us have a residence certificate... I think ill put off buying until tomorrow so I can speak with the company first hand instead of taking his word. The company hes suggesting is very reputable in chiang mai. They are a law firm with branches all over thailand. They are only asking for 1000 baht.

Anyways ill wait a day... no big deal just to be sure.

Sent from my GT-I9500

I really prefer to do this by going down to do it myself... problem is neither of us have a residence certificate... I think ill put off buying until tomorrow so I can speak with the company first hand instead of taking his word. The company hes suggesting is very reputable in chiang mai. They are a law firm with branches all over thailand. They are only asking for 1000 baht.

Anyways ill wait a day... no big deal just to be sure.

Sent from my GT-I9500

good idea to wait .... also follow the advice give you and the owner go to the transport office and do the transfer. I can tell you that he forgot to mention signing the book, signing a power of attorney and signing the bill of sale issued by the transport office.

The shops who do the transfers do not go to DLT daily, they wait around for many customers and then go to get it done.

Mytion in Pattaya takes 4-6 weeks.

Absolutely. I bought my used bike from a dealership, and went to the DLT with them and their expediter. We did all of the paperwork there, and it took another 6 weeks before I received the Greenbook in the mail with my name in it. I can't imagine how some say that it is done in minutes. They must have great connections at the DLT. One other thing. The engine & the frame have a serial number. Make sure they match the number in the Greenbook.

Absolutely. I bought my used bike from a dealership, and went to the DLT with them and their expediter. We did all of the paperwork there, and it took another 6 weeks before I received the Greenbook in the mail with my name in it. I can't imagine how some say that it is done in minutes. They must have great connections at the DLT. One other thing. The engine & the frame have a serial number. Make sure they match the number in the Greenbook.

CM do it in 24hrs.

Book in first day, collect book next day.

If you don't want to collect, they will post it to you.

CM do it in 24hrs.

If the bike is already registered in Chiang Mai it will take 24 Hrs ,if it is registered in another town it will take longer to get the book am I right on this point.

CM do it in 24hrs.

If the bike is already registered in Chiang Mai it will take 24 Hrs ,if it is registered in another town it will take longer to get the book am I right on this point.

You may be right.

I bought a bike at the buffalo market in San Patong, bike registered in Lampoon (or somewhere else a little bit far)

The lady at the desk asked for 100bht extra (on her 150bht fee) to drive over and register it for me.

Buying from markets is OK, as the market inspector check all the documents.

Buying from a foreigner, go to the office together, once he leaves the country, you have no chance.

you need the transfer document signed by both of you, he also needs to sign the green book as well as the copies of both passports.

passport must not be expired.

you must also have state insurance (cheap) before any transfer can commence.

It's done by next day.

VLC here

Not required in CM at the moment.

Required at Pattaya DLT. I was there with the buyer to transfer his name to the Green Book. I had a copy of my Aug 2, 2013 Residence Letter from Pattaya Immigration- but the officer would not accept it. Address the same, photo the same but it wan not an original, so We have to go back tomorrow.

Why? Because they can...

(And yes, the interpretation of the rules vary from office to office, and then day to day. Just the way it is...)

• Like 1

Sent from my GT-I9500

Jerry

That begs the question: What else would one be doing if one didn't have the time to personally ensure a smooth transaction for the sale of ones own property?

The proposed method of transaction leaves the buyer carrying all the risk. Particularly when/if money has already changed hands. The seller could simply disappear, leaving the new owner with considerable ownership issues to resolve. The process for that would take a lot longer than one day and no doubt incur additional expenditure.

The balance of risk and gain is biased too much in favor of the seller. The buyer should do something to at least redress this or walk away.

Personally I favor the second option.

Jerry

Sent from my GT-I9500

Jerry

That begs the question: What else would one be doing if one didn't have the time to personally ensure a smooth transaction for the sale of ones own property?

The proposed method of transaction leaves the buyer carrying all the risk. Particularly when/if money has already changed hands. The seller could simply disappear, leaving the new owner with considerable ownership issues to resolve. The process for that would take a lot longer than one day and no doubt incur additional expenditure.

The balance of risk and gain is biased too much in favor of the seller. The buyer should do something to at least redress this or walk away.

Jerry

LOL, one could be busy running the business or working or taking care of the kids or sick wife or another 1 million reasons.

Seller can disappear , he/she is no longer needed, once book is signed, copy of passport and residence received, there is nothing else needed for the shop to do it for you.

Jerry

LOL, one could be busy running the business or working or taking care of the kids or sick wife or another 1 million reasons.

Seller can disappear , he/she is no longer needed, once book is signed, copy of passport and residence received, there is nothing else needed for the shop to do it for you.

The OP was concerned that the seller was both adamant and insistent that an agent be employed to affect the transfer of the bike. The seller was also adamant and insistent that no residence certificate was needed. The seller merely stating that a photocopy of each passport would suffice.

In your critique to justify the sellers behaviours you have confirmed what; I and others have said before. Ergo, a residence certificate is required.

This misinformation and a reluctance of the seller to visit the DLT office in order to affect transference of the bike’s ownership should raise a red warning flag to anyone who likes to do things correctly.

There’s also a myriad reasons why the seller may not wish to visit the DLT office. Ranging from; a stolen or incorrectly registered bike to the seller having overstayed their visa.

Jerry

• Like 1

Jerry

The OP was concerned that the seller was both adamant and insistent that an agent be employed to affect the transfer of the bike. The seller was also adamant and insistent that no residence certificate was needed. The seller merely stating that a photocopy of each passport would suffice.

In your critique to justify the sellers behaviours you have confirmed what; I and others have said before. Ergo, a residence certificate is required.

This misinformation and a reluctance of the seller to visit the DLT office in order to affect transference of the bike’s ownership should raise a red warning flag to anyone who likes to do things correctly.

There’s also a myriad reasons why the seller may not wish to visit the DLT office. Ranging from; a stolen or incorrectly registered bike to the seller having overstayed their visa.

Jerry

Seller does not want to pay 300 baht for RC, seller does not want to waste time and happy to pay 1000 to do the transfer which usually costs 600 with all the correct paperwork.

If bike in sellers name , there is nothing to worry about it, just go to agent, pay the money and receive green book in your name weeks later.

Edited by lemoncake

Jerry

This misinformation and a reluctance of the seller to visit the DLT office in order to affect transference of the bikes ownership should raise a red warning flag to anyone who likes to do things correctly.

Theres also a myriad reasons why the seller may not wish to visit the DLT office. Ranging from; a stolen or incorrectly registered bike to the seller having overstayed their visa.

Jerry

Seller does not want to pay 300 baht for RC, seller does not want to waste time and happy to pay 1000 to do the transfer which usually costs 600 with all the correct paperwork.

If bike in sellers name , there is nothing to worry about it, just go to agent, pay the money and receive green book in your name weeks later.

Of course when the seller is gone and the dlt needs something else I am sure the agent will refumd the buyers purchase price.

• Like 2

Of course when the seller is gone and the dlt needs something else I am sure the agent will refumd the buyers purchase price.

Something like what? sure bike can remain in sellers name and if buyer kills someone or robs someone, no doubt seller would be happy the bike in his namethumbsup.gif