Not Happy......

theblether

The shiverings gone so that's good. Anyway I forgot to mention the Doctor that owns the hotel got his staff to bring up two extra sheets for the bed and said to me, " They're old sheets theblether, you can bleed on them all you like".

Now that's what you call being thoughtful biggrin.png

ps. It was a good idea, you'd think there had been a murder in my room sad.png

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shiverings gone so that's good. Anyway I forgot to mention the Doctor that owns the hotel got his staff to bring up two extra sheets for the bed and said to me, " They're old sheets theblether, you can bleed on them all you like".

Now that's what you call being thoughtful biggrin.png

ps. It was a good idea, you'd think there had been a murder in my room sad.png

Haha so long as they aren't supplying you with schooners of Singha as well mate!

I could without that, every trip to the toilet is a form of torture. sad.png

Anyway I'm not the first and not the last. I'm delighted I was wearing my helmet, even more delighted I didn't hit the kerb when I was doing my dambusters impersonation, but I now realize it's mental stuff to be flying around at 80kms per hour in a shirt and flip flops. Lesson painfully learned.

Maybe the Thais couldn't move for laughing when they saw me bouncing biggrin.png

• Like 1

That's what I like about you blether - run over on a busy highway, close to death, your friend, Sabu, chances upon you and now Dr Smith and his hostesses are pandering to your every whim.

You didn't mention an ambulance, because there was no ambulance was there, blether? You were transported in a golden sedan to a faraway land inhabited by cherubs and admirers.

I'm surprised at your modesty. Not bad for a lad from the Gorbals.

Hope you recover soon. Rest and rehydration (from the blood loss!) is what you need. Hope the gravel rash is now gravel free?

I think people look and don't help in most countries .... everyone hopes someone else will help. I once nearly got run over trying to help at the scene of a bad road accident as drivers slalomed through the wreckage determined not to stop ..... and that was in Leicestershire.

• Like 1

That's what I like about you blether - run over on a busy highway, close to death, your friend, Sabu, chances upon you and now Dr Smith and his hostesses are pandering to your every whim.

You didn't mention an ambulance, because there was no ambulance was there, blether? You were transported in a golden sedan to a faraway land inhabited by cherubs and admirers.

I'm surprised at your modesty. Not bad for a lad from the Gorbals.

I walked up and down the side of the road barefoot furious at everything, my pal picked up the bike and said we should get a songthaew back. I said if the bikes driveable I'm going for it. I think if I'd have waited for any reason at the roadside it would have made me feel worse.

I got to the hotel and the security guard took the bike from me and parked it. There's a wee 4 year old girl in the hotel that thinks I'm a mad man and funny cos I'm always dancing and singing with her / too her. The look on the wee one's face when she saw me dripping blood. sad.png

Anyway she came to see me with her Dad, walked in the room and said " look at the state of this place", her Dad said "Theblether had an accident"

"I know already, I saw him first".

The wee one had gone in the lift before her Dad to come see me, the doors closed on her and she couldn't reach the buttons, so she had a wee panic attack. Talk about compounding my guilt? sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

There is a serious point to all this though ( well many ). I've been coming to Smith's Residence for years, and there are times I look at getting myself a year round condo. The balancing act is between having more privacy, and a better room, against the sense of community here, as well as having a Doctor effectively on call.

I had a friend who took heatstroke In Patts back in February, he collapsed in the shower and gave himself a serious head wound. He was unconscious for over two hours and he reckoned he lost a couple of pints of blood. When he eventually came to he wandered into the street with his head agape and covered in blood. A motorcyclist pulled up and arranged a songthaew to get him to hospital. They stitched him together and put him back on the street. By his own words he was standing there obviously in shock, in pain, about 40 baht in his pocket and feeling vulnerable.

It took his Patts mates a day or two to realize there was something wrong, and then they came to his aid magnificently.

He says that the psychological effect has been the worst thing. I can see that, in fact I did see that in him when he came back to CM. He was very reticent and cautious about going out. It is a consideration to people thinking about coming here, who is going to be there for you when things go wrong? Last night was a prime example of being part of a community, you can't put a price on it.

• Like 1

A bouncing Blether. Now there is a thing to observe..... What is the name of the movie? cheesy.gif

Seriously though, I hope you are not too badly bashed about.

My feet are mashed, especially my toes, flips flops and concrete at 80 klicks is not a good mix. Stupid of me, truly stupid.

It is a consideration to people thinking about coming here, who is going to be there for you when things go wrong? Last night was a prime example of being part of a community, you can't put a price on it.

Good point. Most of us haven't got the support of such community and social circle in a foreign land.

I'm cancelling our holiday to LOS in November as our travel insurance can't compare to your facility.

I'm blown away.

A bouncing Blether. Now there is a thing to observe..... What is the name of the movie? cheesy.gif

Seriously though, I hope you are not too badly bashed about.

My feet are mashed, especially my toes, flips flops and concrete at 80 klicks is not a good mix. Stupid of me, truly stupid.

Just be glad you had on that helmet. When I had my motorbike accident I flew over the handlebars and landed right on my head and shoulder. I was going about five MPH but it still flipped me over. I got a broken collarbone but other than that not a scratch. No helmet and I would have been dead or maybe lying in a coma for years. I used to always worry that I would get hit by a car but when I had my wreck there wasn't a car in sight...just a nasty hole in a dirt track going down a hill.

Never understood those who don't wear helmets as they really and truly can save your life. Probably also a good idea to have some shoes more substantial than flip flops but you already know that.

Now can you ride again? Once I had my wreck I really just became paranoid about motorbikes and bought a car. I rarely ride the bike anymore....I do miss the freedom of the motorbike riding but I also found out that as we get older those broken bones don't heal very quickly if ever....and I am kinda fond of living a few more years.

hmm went to look at that place with a view to residence. saw all the farang sitting out the front, tuk tuk parked in the street outfront. turned around and went back b4 i was even within 40 meters of the place. not me already. each to his own,

Edited by that geeza

hmm went to look at that place with a view to residence. saw all the farang sitting out the front, tuk tuk parked in the street outfront. turned around and went back b4 i was even within 40 meters of the place. not me already. each to his own,

There are days when I feel the same way, there are days when I can't be bothered living here. When that happens I usually take off somewhere for a few days for a change of scenery. I take your point with one exception though. The tuk tuk driver lives across the street, he's excellent. It's great even to have a tuk tuk driver that will take you anywhere and charge you fairly.

A rare beast indeed.

Something I didn't know until I was doing a course in Bangkok the other day was that if you render first aid to someone and don't have in date certification you can be jailed if the person dies. Bit extreme but worth knowing (if what we were taught is true).

• Like 1

Something I didn't know until I was doing a course in Bangkok the other day was that if you render first aid to someone and don't have in date certification you can be jailed if the person dies. Bit extreme but worth knowing (if what we were taught is true).

Yes, a patently ridiculous and absurd situation. Many of us are trained to some degree in first aid, and properly administered it's a life saver. Coincidentally the Dad of the 4 year old is a Medic, he saved a man's life in Abu Dhabi two weeks ago. Here in Thailand he's effectively banned from helping in an emergency.

It is a truly absurd situation.

if you had your motor bike in the lane reserved for cycles which you indicate you did you deserve everything you get. I often send a wish to dangerous motorbikers that they may have get what ever it is they are weaving through the cars for and making danger for others.

additionally the lane is for traffic that wants to go counter current, were you thinking of that when you drove down it at 60 or 70?/ hmmm ? were you ? I think not

you selfish people think of noone but yourse4lves

I was following a friend at speed when I watched him come off his bike. Fortunately we always wore protective gear so no skin lost, even though he slid a very long ways on his back before doing a few barrel rolls and coming to a stop.

The point is people came out of the woodwork. He and the old man he hit were in the back of a pickup and heading to a nearby hospital in minutes. A couple of guys helped me rescue his bike from a ditch and park it at a nearby gas station.

I followed on to the hospital to play translator and help deal with the many relatives of the old guy he hit, while we waited for his own wife and a neighbor to show up. Everybody was great after the initial worry over the old guy.

There was no blaming the Farang and everyone, family, hospital staff and the police were very polite and helpful. It all seemed in stark contrast to what would have transpired back in my overly litigious homeland.

Next time wear some proper gear and get well soon.
  • Like 1

You did not have a sweet female friend to help you clean the wounds ?

She's been on the phone already giving me grief, I could do without it.

@Pomchop luckily my pal was behind me......he saw the whole thing.......he was shocked as it was a serious looking spill. However being Australian as he is, by the time we got back to the hotel he described it as like watching a beach ball bounce down the road.

I've decided I don't like him. annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

Your mate was behind you and saw everything. He stopped to help you (presumably within a few seconds?). So, why would anyone else need to stop and help?

Maybe, if your mate had not been on the scene so quickly, others would have stopped to help.

In my experience there is never any shortage of people stopping at the scene of an accident - whether to help or just gawp.

This was my thought as well. If he's already being helped, why get involved and presumably get in the way?

But sounds like theblether is ok, which is rather fortunate in a motorcycle mishap.

Edited by Berkshire

Christ theblether sounds like you really did yourself a mischief!

Hope you're on the mend, though sounds like you're not having too hard a time of things.

I hope the grapes and the olives are to your liking and the temperature from the palm leaves is to your satisfaction :P

• Like 1

Coming off a bike with no protective clothing or footware at 80Km/hr and walking away is a huge get out of jail free card. I can only imagine how bad the gravel rash must be. Great to hear you are OK and I hope you have access to good pain pills for the next week or so.

Thanks very much for the good wishes and advice. MY mate has just left, he said that the bike went from under me horizontally, so I went down horizontally, he said I rolled at least 6 times and by pure fluke luck the way I went down on the first roll was like a judo roll. Fluke, I hadn't a clue, I do remember the last couple of rolls though.

Head and face unscathed, sporran area is a bit tender though now you mention it Harrry, I donno how that happened. I think I need a nurse to attend to it. rolleyes.gif

ps totally right about get out of jail free, bouncing at 80kph in shorts and flip flops is not to be recommended

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the good wishes and advice. MY mate has just left, he said that the bike went from under me horizontally, so I went down horizontally, he said I rolled at least 6 times and by pure fluke luck the way I went down on the first roll was like a judo roll. Fluke, I hadn't a clue, I do remember the last couple of rolls though.

Head and face unscathed, sporran area is a bit tender though now you mention it Harrry, I donno how that happened. I think I need a nurse to attend to it. rolleyes.gif

ps totally right about get out of jail free, bouncing at 80kph in shorts and flip flops is not to be recommended

Now you know why I rarely use our bike, BUT if I were your age I probably would. biggrin.png

Sorry to hear of your mishap, blether, but do make sure that you take antibiotics. I have been assured that road rash is absolutely certain to get infected in Thailand. Falls are just part of riding two wheel vehicles. All you can hope for is that the accident is not a bad one.