Is there a camping site near Chiang Mai?

puukao

I've spent about 1 year in CM over two trips, and I don't remember once seeing a camp site. This likely answers my question; however, it doesn't hurt to ask:

Has anyone seen someone camping near Chiang Mai?

I am sure the abundance of 250 baht guesthouses make tents not as financially practical; however, some people do like to camp for the sake of camping.

I will camp from Phuket to Mae Sai!!! or until a massive snake is spotted. or flooding. or mosquitoes with dengue fever. or robbed. etc...

Yes; just about all National Parks have camping sites.

Also, in most hilltribe villages in the hills, all you need to do is ask.

(There are a couple weeks in the winter where camping doesn't feel like being cooked alive.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

There is a campground at a reservoir not far from Chiang Mai. Bunch of us camped there in Dec '08. The caretaker even had tents for rent and would set them up for you. 2 Thai style restaurants on the shores of the reservoir (one on each side of the campground) and only about 5 minutes or so (by motorcycle) into Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

Hello ,

There is a lovely riverside camp site at Mae Takri National Park located next to the road and river with reasonable campsite facilities . Ths is located around 30 - 40 Minutes on the 118 north of the superhighway. If you reach the hot springs on the right you have gone way too far . I have seen a few camping there but did not fancy the mossies.. you can also look at the Hot Springs and water fall at Chae Son ( camping and hot spring baths !) .. take the mountain road if you have a truck and plan it as a round trip.. great 2-3 night trip ! enjoy

Lam Sadet beach / Chao Lao Beach has a great little free campsite on the beach with toilets.

It is just next to the free aquarium, click here.

A tad far from Chiang Mai?

Yeah, you are correct, I should have read it better. This in one of the Chanthaburi beaches, actually, many of the expats have come from Chiang Mai escaping the pollution.

Here is a wiki map to make more sense of what I was talking about anyway, tottle toop wai.gif

220px-Thailand_Chanthaburi_locator_map.s

• Like 1

Thanks. I would like to get away during the pollution months as well. I would like to try to camp a few nights a week, but I don't think I've ever camped alone. Most women I know aren't that excited about camping; however, one night here and there is usually fun. get a little propane stove, good lights, chairs, some beers...and relax. until the 30 foot anaconda wants to give you a hug. smile.png

There is a campground at a reservoir not far from Chiang Mai. Bunch of us camped there in Dec '08. The caretaker even had tents for rent and would set them up for you. 2 Thai style restaurants on the shores of the reservoir (one on each side of the campground) and only about 5 minutes or so (by motorcycle) into Chiang Mai.

The camping area Kerry is talking about is Hui TunTao just outside Chiang Mai. Decent enough if you don't want to go far. To me it's like camping in your back yard. I've also camped for free in areas around Chiang Rai. One by a lake and one on top of a mountain near Ang Khang where you could see the Burma border. No one other campers around on all occasions so I guess Thai's are not really into the whole camping thing. Wife was an adventure tour guide so she likes to camp. Recommend you go with 2 or more friends for safety.