Support sought for bill to curb foreign land grabbers throughout Thailand

webfact

It would sure be nice if they would include some provision to allow each falang over 21 to buy up to say one rai of land in their own name.....anyone caught trying to buy more via BS nominees/companies etc forfeits their one lot.

Seems to me the big concern is when falangs or their BS companies go into a place like samui or Phuket and try and buy up or control dozens of pieces of property and then develop into mansions and sell them or lease them to other falangs.

Unfortunately those of us falangs who ONLY want to own ONE home in Thailand are treated the same as those falangs who are determined to figure a way to scam the system to try and buy up many rai of land and then make a fortune flipping it to other falangs.

• Like 1

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

change the dam_n racist law

thais can buy land anywhere in the world where others can

so what, farang stealing land and putting it in his suitcase?

95% of thailand is in chinese-thai hands

Really? You should check your facts before spouting random numbers. Considering only 14% of Thailand's ethnicity is Thais of Chinese descent (according to Wikipedia/CIA Factbook), I somehow doubt your figure is even remotely close.

it is very simple,

(I am here since 1990 and have seen a lot)

the rich Thais are very much against that a farang can buy land, many of this Thais are lawmakers, means

in the government, keeping up the system makes them richer

as it is now, the farmer with a lot of dept have to sell his land, the big shoot

Thai is just waiting for it and get it for peanuts, could a farang have the right to buy

the farmer would get for sure more out of it, sad to see that Thai is cheating Thai

So long as Thai citizens rights are reciprocated in the western world there will not be a problem, as ridiculous articles like this would never appear in the first place.

The most worrying piece of the article is the threat against foreigners that have leased land in Thailand. So, can't buy OK, can't lease either?? Thailand under the Shin dynasty is closing its doors.

If the ownership is illegal why do you need a law against doing something illegal?

If a foreigner is found to be breaking the law will they be given 30 days to explain themselves, then another 30 days and another 30 and another 30 and another and ...............................

Will it make a difference if their brother is a convicted criminal as well?

Sounds like nationalistic racism to make it look as if they're doing their job.

I'm not entirely convinced that this is the purpose of an ombudsman, but then again what is the ombudsman's job here?

"The 40-section bill targets foreigners illegally holding land in Thailand, their legal consultants and their nominees.

Foreigners holding land plots in Thailand illegally would face five to 20 years in prison and/or a fine of B500,000 to B2 million, while the consultants would face two-thirds of whatever penalties are imposed on the wrongdoers". The very people promoting and encouraging these transactions only get 2/3 penalty? All this land was once sold by Thais and they reaped the rewards. Now they want it back to do it again! Criminals.

Actually straight out of Zimbabwe/ Mugabe's play book

Nationalism at it's highest. They're soooooo afraid of a farang actually buying land without the possibility of losing it to an exbargirl. This is BS.

Bullshyt is correct. The Realm is the most xenophobic country on the planet.

Add to that they are probably close to being the most racist as well.

Edited by johnlandy

Someone said the foreigners can't own land in Southeast Asia. Not true. I am American and I owned a house and the land it sat on in Malaysia. It is completely legal to do that in M'sia. Can someone clarify something here for me? If a foreigner is married to a Thai and buys a house in her name, is she considered to only be a nominee and is allowing the evil farang to buy up the Kingdom, or is this allowed? Seems to me it doesn't violate the rules unless the marriage is a sham and only done on paper. What if the couple has a child and the land is given to the child? Thx

Someone said the foreigners can't own land in Southeast Asia. Not true. I am American and I owned a house and the land it sat on in Malaysia. It is completely legal to do that in M'sia. Can someone clarify something here for me? If a foreigner is married to a Thai and buys a house in her name, is she considered to only be a nominee and is allowing the evil farang to buy up the Kingdom, or is this allowed? Seems to me it doesn't violate the rules unless the marriage is a sham and only done on paper. What if the couple has a child and the land is given to the child? Thx

From another thread on T.V

Foreigners cannot use a Thai spouse as a nominee to buy property in Thailand, however.

“If the Thai spouse has enough money to buy the house that is fine, but if the Thai has no money and uses money given to him or her by a foreigner to acquire property, that is against the law. If we check and find out later that a Thai person has been using money from a foreigner to buy land anywhere in Thailand, we will revoke title deeds,” he said.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/268608-illegal-to-use-thai-spouse-as-nominee-in-land-ownership/

emmm..... may be its time that goverments in the west stop thai for buy land and house .... and stop them opening thai resturants ..... what the hell is wrong with thailand .... think its just the thin edge of the wedge .....with much morfe to follow may be this year the shit really going to hit the fan ...... may be to move over the border .... at least there you can buy land and own a house............ wink.pngwink.pngwink.png ....coffee1.gif

So Government, you have made a complete ass of your Rice Pledging Scheme and lost millions, if not billions of baht. There is now a mass exodus of funds from the developing Countries Stock Markets, which includes Thailand. You are sinking your Country deeper and deeper in debt with loans, with little safety margin. You give 100% support to a self exiled criminal that you all want to bring back, thereby bringing the likelihood of civil war closer and the probable crash of your Tourist Industry, killing off that Golden Goose. You now want to confiscate the land and houses of the Foreigners who live in your Country who in comparison, as a group, spend far more per capita than the local people. Not only will there be the loss of billions of baht in revenue from their living expenses and jobs created for local people, it could also bring about the crash of the housing market, (which is already threatening to "bubble burst") because all these properties need to be sold within a year. I do hope that someone in the Government is capable of engaging brain, before action. There are too many red lights already flashing that could cause the downfall of the economy and the Country. But this could of course be just another "Red Herring" to divert attention from the amnesty and proposed new legislation on Parliament issues.

Edited by robertson468

Maybe I am the only one but I agree with the fact that foreigners are not allowed to own land in Thailand.

For the same reason I do not agree with German nationals who own land in Switserland, English nationals who own land in New Zealand, French nationals who own land in Denmark or Swedish nationals who own land in Malaysia - I can continue for one hour but I think you go the point.

Land belongs to the people who legally live there and have a passport and it does NOT belong to people who are just have money to buy it!

You didn't give a point to "get" (go[sic]) - you just made a list of other things you think are equally wrong. Kind of like saying, "It's wrong, because it is".

This has nothing to do with foreigners land grabbing - it is the usual bi-annual scapegoat misdirection - read as "Government is in the sh!t we need to point the Thai mind elsewhere - I know how about those awful smelly farang!" If it was about land, then why do it year after year. Why leave loop holes - either close them - or make them undesirable (such as by allowing foreigners small parcels of domicile land - it's not that we are likely to pack it up and take it home with us!). Seesm to me several of the things they mention are neither illegal nor even examples of foreign owning of land: put if Thai spouse's name (then its not in a foreigner's name and is owned by a Thai doh!) - using a company 51% Thai (then the company owns it - and the company is not foreign, it is a legal Thai entity and thus is Thai, regardless of ownership).

The fear always was that foreigners would buy up the land pushing prices too high for locals. This as we all know is BS here - shore front areas are already too expensive for local Thais to own because the Thai companies and elite families have already pushed the price up too high (indeed probably too high for any foreign investor to be interested anyway!) and back water places are simply nevber going to attract enough foreign investors of any merit. So the whole concept is bunkum!

What can they do about it anyway? Close the company ownership and see massive tax payers and employers like Tesco, Honda, Coke, etc walking over the borders. Try and stop Thais married to foreigners owning land will cause serious issue for many of those elite families (including members of institutions that must not be named) as well as being against the constitution.

emmm..... may be its time that goverments in the west stop thai for buy land and house .... and stop them opening thai resturants ..... what the hell is wrong with thailand .... think its just the thin edge of the wedge .....with much morfe to follow may be this year the shit really going to hit the fan ...... may be to move over the border .... at least there you can buy land and own a house............ wink.pngwink.pngwink.png ....coffee1.gif

This has been said many times, but this is only of impact if either party gives a rat's arse. Our governments don't care if we can buy abroad, they do want foreigners to buy property as this keeps the economy propped up and prices rising. Thailand will not care if Thais can't buy abroad, they don't care about their voting public what makes us think they give that same rat's butt about non voting ones living abroad (rest assured that wealthy Thai elites will still be able to own land through other mechanism in said countries).

• Like 1

I just had this argument with a Thai lady who owns a property in Toronto, she feels of course that Thailand is for Thais, and only Thais should have any property rights there. I said, fine, then the Canadian government should not only take away your house, but keep the money from it's sale and throw you in jail as well, which is what thailand is proposing - that would be only fair of course. She said, that's different, your country is already full of foreigners. LOL

• Like 2

Nationalism at it's highest. They're soooooo afraid of a farang actually buying land without the possibility of losing it to an exbargirl. This is BS.

Let me correct that for you.

Nationalism Xenophobia at it's highest. They're soooooo afraid of a farang actually buying land without the possibility of losing it to an ex bargirl. This is BS.

Exactly.

Thailand and some countries in SE Asia need these sort of laws. The leaders know that if all things were equal, they Thais be out gunned, out financed, and out smarted in every single aspect of business. I guess what I mean is some people say if things were equal that Thailand would no longer be Thailand. The foreigners would buy up everything with out a doubt.

I used to think the reciprocal approach to land ownership was the way to go. Now I am not so sure, places like the USA amongst others have really nothing to lose by taking foreign money. We let the Japanese do it way back when. Every time something sells especially if some wealthy foreigner buys it for too much it helps the economy.

As others have mentioned it is sort of odd that the wealthy protect the poor from getting a much more decent price for their real estate. They imply Thais couldn't afford to live somewhere if land was too high of a price. Well if Thais sell their land at such exorbitant prices surely they can find somewhere to live?

I have bought a few places around Asia and the one of the conditions I have is that I won't buy from some farmer with only one piece of land. They always have plan b to fall on if they sell to me. I have watched a few houses built which were paid for by my purchase of land.

The leaders like to look clever to the uneducated masses in Thailand, but know if the playing field was leveled on an international basis they would do as well as the Thai national team would do playing football at the world cup.

So I understand their need for these measures, until the day comes where they have a bit more business acumen they are necessities.

If foreign currency enters Thailand through the Bank of Thailand with the reason stated 'property investment' are the Bank of Thailand and the local banks guilty of money laundering or knowingly aiding and abetting in same? Interestingly recently the Phuket Governor was reported in the press encouraging foreign investment in Phuket property?

You can bet the esteemed politicians didn't speak with any former bar girls (who are now or were wives of farang, and held in high esteem by their neighbors). If they asked those gals, they'd get a loud "stay out of our business!" from them. They like the set-up just as it is. All of them, and their families, stand to gain much property and vehicles and cash in the process.

Interesting to note the politicians seem to only be concerned about farang - in relation to property issues. If they can take their blinkers off and look away from the biggest tourist cities for a minute, they'll see that Chinese are securing huge tracts of land all over Thailand. With their typically Asian perspective, they like low flat parcels. Surprise: those are the type where most rice is grown. After scoring large parcels of rice-growing land for a pittance, the Chinese owners quickly cover it all with a meter of red clay fill dirt. Wait a year for the fill to subside, and then (surprise again) cover it, checkerboard style, with as many apartments/houses/shops as they can cram. No more rice growing, and no parks. Maybe one or two little trees, in a 20 rai compound, but no park bench, and no area for kids to play. That's Chinese style development.

Edited by boomerangutang

I know a lot of thais who own lands and properties in different countries .... without any issues. Maybe its time for our governments to stop that practice and impose the same laws as we have here. I dont think any foreigners would leave the country with the land on the back anyway.

And in intoducing that, then they should also introduce VOA for any Thai citezen to visit any other country that Thailand offers VOA too. I dont particulary agree with the existing laws but they are there for a reason. Cuba pre revolution is a classic example. A few tweaks to current legislation is all that is needed to make it fairer for genuine foreigners that wish to reside here longterm and own property and still protect Thai nationals

I just had this argument with a Thai lady who owns a property in Toronto, she feels of course that Thailand is for Thais, and only Thais should have any property rights there. I said, fine, then the Canadian government should not only take away your house, but keep the money from it's sale and throw you in jail as well, which is what thailand is proposing - that would be only fair of course. She said, that's different, your country is already full of foreigners. LOL

Smart girl! It's no wonder Thailand is trying not to make the mistake that western countries have made by allowing a free-for-all.

All the farang buying land is driving up the price of land for the corrupt in Thailand, we wouldn't want the original land owners to make any money now would we.

So the MP spent months traveling to other countries trying to get businesses and governments to invest in Thailand, I guess she just meant, "hey could you just dump some money into the Thai economy and not expect to get anything in return!"

they will need to re write the companies act to ever be able to enforce this [rubbish]

by forming a thai company you create a thai juristic entity[person]

there is only a few ways to get shareholders in a company[any company in the world] [you nominate them]

or they purchase shares[even if they borrowed the money to purchase the shares , it doesnt matter]

foreigners do not own land in thailand

thai juristic persons [companies ]do

you may be a shareholder in the thai company[which owns the land ] but it does not belong to you [or the nominee/s or the directors]

until the companies act is changed they are pi55ing in the wind

So long as Thai citizens rights are reciprocated in the western world there will not be a problem, as ridiculous articles like this would never appear in the first place.

The most worrying piece of the article is the threat against foreigners that have leased land in Thailand. So, can't buy OK, can't lease either?? Thailand under the Shin dynasty is closing its doors.

They are terrified of 'competition'....Imagine if the farangs had rights.....the right to stand for office...etc

The current usurpers might find it hard to compete...

Hence the paranoia re: foreigners, i.e farangs

The reason they would hate competition is the country is founded on collusion. That is the reason they would not be able to compete.

I have to wait another 4 years to apply for a Thai passport to have the right to legally own land here. Do you really think it should be the right of only Thai citizens to own land here? Would it not bring additional money into Thailand if foreigners were allowed to buy land with whatever conditions, restrictions make locals feel safe? Ever notice all the abandoned looking property in urban areas that could be put to good use as a residence, small business? This is a potential gold mine for the government if they allow some land ownership by foreigners. The practice of using nominees isn't beneficial for the government, the Thais or foreigners.