Chaeng Wattana Imm./Retirement Extension trip report Aug 2013

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

I did my 90 day report at Chaeng Wattana today also....but the girls were really giggling because your fly was open. :-)

Thanks for the report...I'll go back in early Sep to do my annual extension of stay, but I now use the Bt800K bank letter approach. I first go to the Bangkok Bank branch downstairs when it opens at 8:30am just like when Immigration opens, takes about 5-10 minutes to got the letter against the fixed savings account I have at that branch...the letter costs Bt100 and they update the passbook, I then get a copy of the updated passbook page to attach to the bank letter, then it's back upstairs to immigration to file my extension paperwork....usually I'm done and gone in 30 to 60 minutes. Has worked fine and easy for the last two years using the bank letter; before that I was using the embassy letter but got tied of paying them $50/Bt1600 for the letter.

Pib

John... the girls were really giggling because your fly was open. :-)

Yes Pib... It was intentional, of course! tongue.pngcheesy.gif Works every time!

But seriously, that's a nice idea... If one's going to use the bank deposits route, having one's 800K (Immigration) bank deposit at the bank branch located at CW Immigration. Certainly, I'd assume the bank staff there are going to be experienced and familiar with preparing the necessary letter and getting everything just right for the Immigration folks upstairs.

In my dealings with various bank staff in the center of BKK (far from CW Immigration), they seem far less familiar with what Immigration needs, wants and expects. And I guess that shouldn't be surprising, since most of their customers are Thais who have nothing to do with Thai Immigration.

If you're going to have to bury away in hole 800K baht for the entire year, the least the Thai bank staff can do in return is make the documenting process for Immigration relatively easy and hassle-free.

And as far as I know the Bangkok Bank branch at Cheang Wattana will do the bank letter for any person with a Bangkok Bank account at any branch; you don't have to have an account at the Cheang Wattana branch to get the letter...just any Bangkok Bank branch as far as I know as they can see your accounts at other Bangkok Bank branches....I know they can sure see my other accounts at other Bangkok Bank branches. The Cheang Wattana branch even has a poster on their windows saying they do immigration bank letters....I expect they do quite a few each day....I know each year when I've went in to get my letter there is usually one or two other farangs there at the same time getting a bank letter. And they have always had a couple folks in the branch which speak pretty good English. Your results may vary.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

And as far as I know the Bangkok Bank branch at Cheang Wattana will do the bank letter for any person with a Bangkok Bank account at any branch; you don't have to have an account at the Cheang Wattana branch to get the letter...just any Bangkok Bank branch as far as I know as they can see your accounts at other Bangkok Bank branches....

I'd be interested to know and confirm if that's infact true, Pib, the part about the CW branch being willing to do Immigration letters and such for bank customers who have their accounts at other branches of BKK Bank.

As you know, for a lot of things, Thai banks often will only do account service things at the home branch for one's account, even simple things like updating an email address or phone number of record. It seems ridiculous to me, but I've run into that multiple times. But I hope what you're saying about the CW branch is true for people whose accounts are held at other branches of the same bank.

A year ago, during my last extension, I went to the then home branch of my BKK Bank account and they insisted on charging me 200 baht for a paper printout of my recent account activity. Yesterday, I went to my new mall BKK Bank home branch, and their system was down and they asked me to come back the next day (which I couldn't do owing to my Immigration plans for the day).

In the end, after talking to a supervisor at the mall branch, she recommended me to go to another regular branch that was walking distance away and assured me they'd do the printout, even though I didn't have my account there. Sure enough, the other branch cheerfully did my printout in about 5 minutes, and they didn't ask for a baht to do it -- much unlke the former branch I had dumped a year ago for their generally unfriendly service.

A bank letter just says you have XXX baht in account number XXX on the date of the letter. It's only about two sentences long. They don't say anything about is the money enough to meet XXX minimum amount for a certain kind of extension of stay (i.e, Bt800K for retirement, Bt400K marriage to a Thai, etc) nor does the letter say anything about the money meeting the 2 or 3 month seasoning requirement....the immigration officer must review the passbook to determine if the seasoning requirement is met. I guess the bank letter just helps to reduce (not eliminate) the use of fraudulent/altered passbooks.

Pib, did the bank branch do the photocopy of your bank book balance page for you...or do you have to take it elsewhere in the complex to one of the copy places there?

Meanwhile, on the subject of using a bank deposit vs the consulate income letter...it's an interesting choice.

While I was there Tuesday waiting for final Immigration supervisor signoff on my extension, another guy there just started moaning to me unheeded about that they were going to turn him away because he'd made some change or something about his bank deposits during the 3 month seasoning period, and thus he was no longer deemed to be in compliance.

I'm not quite sure what was going on with his situation and didn't feel inclined to want to know more. But consistent with what other posters here have reported over time, it seems that Immigration is pretty strict about the 800K requirement... Pretty much, one day or one baht short, and they'll deem you out of compliance. At least that seems to be what people here have reported over time. And in Immigration's defense, the rule is the rule, and there's not a lot of room for interpretation involved.

On the other hand, while paying $50 for a consulate income letter (from the U.S. Consulate) seems a bit overpriced, it unfortunately is the same price as their general notary service. And unlike the bank deposits method, as people here are generally aware, the consulate income letter approach tends to have more flexibility (if you want to call it that) built into that method.

And of course, that situation even improved a bit more lately with the policy change by Immigration to now allow the consulate income letters to be obtained up to 6 months before their use, instead of the pretty short period that they had planned on adopting.

It's nice if a person has the flexibility to choose which method (income letter or bank deposits) they want to use. Of course, for many folks, they only can do one or the other method, and no choice available.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Pib, did the bank branch do the photocopy of your bank book balance page for you...or do you have to take it elsewhere in the complex to one of the copy places there?

I think one year I asked them to provide a copy and they did....the next year I walked out and got half way to immigration like 20 steps away from the bank branch almost to the up escalator and remembered I didn't get a copy of the updated passbook page the bank updated just minutes earlier and instead of walking back into the branch with other customers inline I just walked over to the copy shop 30 steps away and paid them 1 or 2 baht to make a copy.

And as far as I know the Bangkok Bank branch at Cheang Wattana will do the bank letter for any person with a Bangkok Bank account at any branch; you don't have to have an account at the Cheang Wattana branch to get the letter...just any Bangkok Bank branch as far as I know as they can see your accounts at other Bangkok Bank branches....

I'd be interested to know and confirm if that's infact true, Pib, the part about the CW branch being willing to do Immigration letters and such for bank customers who have their accounts at other branches of BKK Bank.

As you know, for a lot of things, Thai banks often will only do account service things at the home branch for one's account, even simple things like updating an email address or phone number of record. It seems ridiculous to me, but I've run into that multiple times. But I hope what you're saying about the CW branch is true for people whose accounts are held at other branches of the same bank.

A year ago, during my last extension, I went to the then home branch of my BKK Bank account and they insisted on charging me 200 baht for a paper printout of my recent account activity. Yesterday, I went to my new mall BKK Bank home branch, and their system was down and they asked me to come back the next day (which I couldn't do owing to my Immigration plans for the day).

In the end, after talking to a supervisor at the mall branch, she recommended me to go to another regular branch that was walking distance away and assured me they'd do the printout, even though I didn't have my account there. Sure enough, the other branch cheerfully did my printout in about 5 minutes, and they didn't ask for a baht to do it -- much unlke the former branch I had dumped a year ago for their generally unfriendly service.

I can confirm that Bangkok Bank in CW will provide the needed letter for immigration regardless of where you maintain your account and they speak good english. They also will photo copy your passbook if you ask when you apply for the letter. Otherwise, just use the copy shop.

I can confirm that Bangkok Bank in CW will provide the needed letter for immigration regardless of where you maintain your account and they speak good english. They also will photo copy your passbook if you ask when you apply for the letter. Otherwise, just use the copy shop.

Very useful information. Last year my Bangkok Bank Branch at Seacon Square did not have a clue about what to do in order to provide a letter, they sent me to Bangkok Bank Head Office on Silom Rd, or also did not have a clue and only could issue me with a statement of account. I used to have an HSBC account and they had no problem issuing the letter with the correct details and wording confirming that the account balance had been above B800,000 for the required period of time. It seems that because BBL is a Thai Bank, immigration will accept merely a bank statement. When I go next month I will head for BBL downstairs in the Government Complex, thank you.

Move to Chiang Rai and do all that without wait, without line, seating on a sofa, chatting just 10 minutes with a beautiful officer, at the Mae Sai office....they will even make copies of your documents for you.

Move to Chiang Rai and do all that without wait, without line, seating on a sofa, chatting just 10 minutes with a beautiful officer, at the Mae Sai office....they will even make copies of your documents for you.

Yea, but when another farang moves to Chiang Rai the office will start getting busy. wink.png

A bank letter just says you have XXX baht in account number XXX on the date of the letter. It's only about two sentences long. They don't say anything about is the money enough to meet XXX minimum amount for a certain kind of extension of stay (i.e, Bt800K for retirement, Bt400K marriage to a Thai, etc) nor does the letter say anything about the money meeting the 2 or 3 month seasoning requirement....the immigration officer must review the passbook to determine if the seasoning requirement is met. I guess the bank letter just helps to reduce (not eliminate) the use of fraudulent/altered passbooks.

Important note: The bank letters do NOT say the money is from a foreign source. I have letters done at CW from both BKK and KTB and the immigration lady would not accept because of that. The lady showed me a bi-lingual notice stating the letter must say bank money must be from foreign source. This is not the first time it has happen to me.

Important note: The bank letters do NOT say the money is from a foreign source. I have letters done at CW from both BKK and KTB and the immigration lady would not accept because of that. The lady showed me a bi-lingual notice stating the letter must say bank money must be from foreign source. This is not the first time it has happen to me.

Hasn't happened to me at Cheang Wattana.

Sent from my tablet

Edited by Pib

Well, if a person is staying in Thailand on a retirement extension, presumably they're not legally working in Thailand, so their funds likely would have originated from a non-Thailand source.

But I've never heard or seen anything I can recall about the bank's letters to Immigration somehow needing to say that or face rejection. And it certainly didn't sound like the letters Pib has been getting from BKK Bank at CW make any mention of that detail.

I was going to add, the whole topic of documenting or verifying income for Immigration purposes seems to be a messy topic.

In my years in Thailand, as an American, I've only done consulate income letters, never bank deposits. And on every visit to BKK Immigration, they've always accepted the consulate income letter from me with absolutely nothing else requested relating to finances.

Yet, I have the feeling I've read posts from other members over time reporting that even with a consulate income letter, their Immigration offices (I'm thinking mostly outside Bangkok) were also asking to see bank passbooks or copies of bank statements or letters, etc etc.

And now we're getting some of the same kind of thing with bank letters... with one member here saying the CW bank branch won't issue a letter for a foreign currency account, and another member saying BKK Immigration wouldn't accept local bank letters because they didn't specify the funds on deposit had come from a foreign source.

Even though I've never had any problem, I always feel some trepidation going into doing these kinds of things, because I'm never quite sure if I'm going to end up with an Immigration officer who may have their own unique or special take on just what they think is required, even if it's different from what goes on elsewhere 90+% of the time.

Great report and good info on the buses. I always take a taxi from mochit or chatuchak, but I will try next time.

I always thought 90 days reports are "reset" every time you do something at immigration. For instance, I just applied for an extension based on work, need to go back on September but my original 90 day report was due this month. I understand my last visit for the extension counted as a report or I am wrong and will need to pay the fine?

Great report and good info on the buses. I always take a taxi from mochit or chatuchak, but I will try next time.

I always thought 90 days reports are "reset" every time you do something at immigration. For instance, I just applied for an extension based on work, need to go back on September but my original 90 day report was due this month. I understand my last visit for the extension counted as a report or I am wrong and will need to pay the fine?

Only first extension resets the 90 days. If you are more than 7 days late you will be fined 2000 baht.

is there a kasikorn branch nearby somewhere CW that will do the required letter too?

i take the train to laksi station and walk from there. will check the buses on my google maps phone app next time.

edit: can do on laptop too https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Bangkok+Bus+Terminal,+Kamphaeng+Phet+2,+Chatuchak,+10900,+Thailand&daddr=Chaeng+Watthana+Bangkok+Thailand&hl=en&sll=13.853032,100.572418&sspn=0.132334,0.208054&geocode=FfrF0gAdfED-BSndBXCFaJziMDG8zGZJVfJoZA%3BFQ_10wAd42v-BSmdI0r3PYPiMDG3otXzOEVfDQ&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ls&t=m&z=12&start=0

Edited by jointedNose

Did my retirement extension about 3 weeks ago at Samut Prakan immigration. That is a great office, always helpful, and this was no exception. Did the extension of stay first for 1900 baht -- used embassy form for income, TM7 and they pasted photo on for me, gave me back all my photocopies as not needed, and only needed my wife to complete a form saying I lived in our (her) house. Also, the officer gave me the normal receipt for a 90-day report without my asking. Quick and easy.

Then went for multiple-re-entry permit, and again no problems -- TM8 form with photo they pasted again, 3800 baht and done.

All totaled, 45 minutes and done.

Did my retirement extension about 3 weeks ago at Samut Prakan immigration. That is a great office, always helpful, and this was no exception. Did the extension of stay first for 1900 baht -- used embassy form for income, TM7 and they pasted photo on for me, gave me back all my photocopies as not needed, and only needed my wife to complete a form saying I lived in our (her) house. Also, the officer gave me the normal receipt for a 90-day report without my asking. Quick and easy.

Then went for multiple-re-entry permit, and again no problems -- TM8 form with photo they pasted again, 3800 baht and done.

All totaled, 45 minutes and done.

1 year multi entry o from penang costs 550 myr or approx 5500 baht. with no reporting but mandatory 3 months exits (ie 90 days each time you enter.) so you are good for about 15 months if you do it right. need 800000 baht in account. just another option to consider.

Edited by jointedNose

Only the first extension of stay is regarded a 90 day report - once you start reporting only the TM.47 or entry into country is regarded as a report.

Thanks. Also when leaving the country with a reentry permit?

Sorry lopburi3, I think I am slow :-P Does that mean that upon entry, next 90 day report should be done counting from that date?

I think I should open a new thread instead of hijacking this one, confused now after leaving and entering and then applying for the extension. I don't know anymore when I should report again ^^U