How far ahead of arrival date can I get a visa?

Thank you everyone.

I'm not sure what date I'll be back in LOS. I need to get a visa in the US and I'm wondering if anyone knows how long it is good for? I don't want to be late in applying for it, but I don't want to suddenly need it and be without it. I need a window.

Does anyone know how soon it expires?

Thanks thumbsup.gif

Look at the validity of the visa... you must enter Thailand before the validity expires...

Example: A 2 month Tourist visa usual has a 90 day validity from the date issued by the Embassy in the USA... You must travel to Thailand before the 90 day validity expires... Upon entry you will be given a visa good for 2 moths stay from the date of entry...

If you are doing a multiple entry type visa understand that your last entry must occur before the validity expires...

Thank you. Is the validity date the same as the date it is issued in the US?

Also, I forgot to ask; how many extensions and for how long can you get extensions? I'm not willing to go all in and give up US residency, but I'd like to spend about 6 months in Thailand.

Thanks!

In order to get the maximum number of days in Thailand you should get the visa as close to your departure date as possible. The validity of the visa is usually 3 months if a single entry and 6 months if double or triple, The time starts on the day that the visa is issued. If you plan to stay 6+ months I would get a triple entry visa. Here's a website that explains what is required: Visa application porcedures, Portland Oregon.doc

You should contact them to see if they still issue visas by mail as recent posts regarding this issue have been contradicting each other.

• Like 2

In order to get the maximum number of days in Thailand you should get the visa as close to your departure date as possible. The validity of the visa is usually 3 months if a single entry and 6 months if double or triple, The time starts on the day that the visa is issued. If you plan to stay 6+ months I would get a triple entry visa. Here's a website that explains what is required: attachicon.gifVisa application porcedures, Portland Oregon.doc

You should contact them to see if they still issue visas by mail as recent posts regarding this issue have been contradicting each other.

Thank you, that answers all of my questions. I'm in Portland regularly and can apply in person if needed. If push comes to shove, it's only a 4 hour drive and all good freeway.

Why not get the retirement visa? It's only 1900 baht an then you can stay as long as you want. It took me 2 weeks by mail in the States as I remember but it was a long time ago. I just mailed my passport and the information to a consulate and they mailed it back to me no problem. Or you can go in person.

Why not get the retirement visa?  It's only 1900 baht an then you can stay as long as you want.  It took me 2 weeks by mail in the States as I remember but it was a long time ago.  I just mailed my passport and the information to a consulate and they mailed it back to me no problem.  Or you can go in person.

What makes you think he is 50 or over.

There is no visa that allows you to stay forever.

Extensions of stay cost1900 baht at immigration here. Visas cost from 1000 baht to 5000 dependent on type and number of entries.

Why not get the retirement visa? It's only 1900 baht an then you can stay as long as you want. It took me 2 weeks by mail in the States as I remember but it was a long time ago. I just mailed my passport and the information to a consulate and they mailed it back to me no problem. Or you can go in person.

I don't want to risk giving up my US residency. I have full medical coverage with Medicare Advantage, and a home I love. I just like to spend time in Thailand. The longest stay before this has been some of 90 days.

What makes you think he is 50 or over.

There is no visa that allows you to stay forever.

Extensions of stay cost1900 baht at immigration here. Visas cost from 1000 baht to 5000 dependent on type and number of entries.

I know he is over 50 by reading his posts and he also posts on other forums that I read. I have not left Thailand in 15 years. 20 minutes of my time per year and 1900 baht for my extension approval. Seems very easy to me.

I don't want to risk giving up my US residency. I have full medical coverage with Medicare Advantage, and a home I love. I just like to spend time in Thailand. The longest stay before this has been some of 90 days.

Your US residency has nothing to do with where you live. It's not like Canada, thank gosh.

Since you are 50 or over you should get a single entry non-o visa ($80) if staying less than 90 days. It works out to be cheaper than a 1 entry tourist visa with 30 day extension to get 90 days plus no trip to immigration.

Or if planing several or longer trips a multiple entry O ($200) good for a year would be good.

Edited by ubonjoe

To get a Non Immigrant O visa in your own country requires you to jump through a few stupid & costly paperwork hoops... Like getting a health certificate, police letter & proof of $800K Baht in home account. (All of which need to be notarized... How do you notarize a bank statement?...)

So if your just coming for a few months a year a tourist visa might be the easiest...

Edited by sfokevin

To get a Non Immigrant O visa in your own country requires you to jump through a few stupid & costly paperwork hoops... Like getting a health certificate, police letter & proof of $800K Baht in home account. (All of which need to be notarized... How do you notarize a bank statement?...)

So if your just coming for a few months a year a tourist visa might be the easiest...

All of that would be for an "O-A" Visa, not necessary most places for an "O".

Not required anywhere for a non immigrant O visa. It is only required for the pre-approved one year stay for retirement (long stay) non immigrant O-A visa. Notary is normally you signing document and having notary confirm your signature with seal.