True Online Router Randomly Blocking Sites

jamesBlonde

For some reason, starting this weekend my True router seems to be blocking certain sites but not others and I can't figure out why. I also can't login to the http of the router either. Has anyone had this issue or no what could be going wrong? It's the TRUE online Billion 4-port adsl 2+ router.. Any help would be appreciated

It's highly unlikely that a router would suddenly start blocking sites. Much more likely to be further upstream, e.g. MICT.

What happens when you try to go to a blocked site? Does the browser simply hang, then eventually timeout? Those are the classic symptoms for MICT blocking.

Its very bizarre, most sites are blocked, only a handful are working, (e.g. Google, twitter, my bank), but even those have problems. I can load youtube movies, and twitter pics arent working, even certain sub pages of google don't work. And on my phone (which is AIS) allows me to go pretty much anywhere except the obviously blocked pages. This all just started on sunday. When I try to load something the page just doesn't load, it goes to the browser's default failed page.

When I try to load something the page just doesn't load, it goes to the browser's default failed page.

What does the default failed page say? (If you're using Chrome you'll need to click on the "More" button to get the full error message.)

Loma, I tried that, and that's what I thought too.. Didn't seem to help.

but you said in your first post,

"I also can't login to the HTTP of the router either"

which seems at odds?

You'll need to log in to the router in order to re-configure it to use another DNS server(s).

You have a PC? Windows? 7?

Do you have DSL? A phone? Any weird noises on the line? How are your line stats?

I'd also re-boot everything and clear caches. I'd also swap in a known good router. Then maybe ring True.

But again, this sounds like a DNS issue on True's side.

Edited by lomatopo

Loma, I tried that, and that's what I thought too.. Didn't seem to help.

but you said in your first post,

"I also can't login to the HTTP of the router either"

which seems at odds?

You'll need to log in to the router in order to re-configure it to use another DNS server(s).

You have a PC? Windows? 7?

Do you have DSL? A phone? Any weird noises on the line? How are your line stats?

I'd also re-boot everything and clear caches. I'd also swap in a known good router. Then maybe ring True.

But again, this sounds like a DNS issue on True's side.

If it were a DNS issue on True's side, I think they'd have received thousands of complaints by now.

If it were a DNS issue on True's side, I think they'd have received thousands of complaints by now.

And your point is? Obviously the OP hasn't called True yet. ;)

Seriously, I support many, many, many True DSL installs and have seen similar issues. We now always run Google DNS, and haven't had any reports of issues over the past few days.

Obviously it's line, router or DNS issue, based on what little detail the OP has provided so far. Addressing the DNS issue is the simplest one to eliminate.

And your point is? Obviously the OP hasn't called True yet. wink.png

Seriously, I support many, many, many True DSL installs and have seen similar issues. We now always run Google DNS, and haven't had any reports of issues over the past few days.

Obviously it's line, router or DNS issue, based on what little detail the OP has provided so far. Addressing the DNS issue is the simplest one to eliminate.

Just stating the obvious. If it's a DNS issue on thier (True's) side, it won't be affecting just one person.

Edited by agogohome

I'm on a True DOCSIS plan here in Bangkok...no problems in reaching all the international and Thailand sites I normally visit. I just use the default True DNS servers.

Sent from my Samsung S4 (GT-I9500)

Have you tried to restart the router?

Have you tried to reset the router to the original settings usually there is a way to do this on the router on the router I use there is a pin hole on the back that needs to be pressed. Make sure you have your log in information for True to enter on the router and you know how to set up the router before you set it to the original settings.

Can you ping the True DNS servers? tracert?

Primary Domain Name Server = 203.144.207.29 (dns1.asianet.co.th)

Secondary Domain Name Server = 203.144.207.49 (dns2.asianet.co.th)
Any packet loss? timeouts?

Note that everyone has to go through several hops to get these DNS servers, and if any of the interim routers within the True network are "negatively impacted" a small subset of customers may not be able to reach the DNS servers.

• Like 1

A cheap and troublesome Modem/Router this one. Often bundled by ISPs for cheapest. Change it yourself with a Netgear or Linksys Cisco. Both these companies have highly experienced design teams and resources to provide stable and reliable performance.

If you must keep the Billion Product I suggest you check for the latest FIRMWARE for the product, normally downloadable from the Billion Site or via the Router's IP page. Sometimes bugs occur in the writing of Firmware programs and subsequent updates are issued to correct earlier problems.

We are also getting a lot of blocked sites and long hang ups while trying to load others. Keep an eye on the status area of the browser, you will probably see some interesting stuff going on there, as it looks like it's being re-routed through some other gov or official sites.

I have no doubt that the same people who want to put an end to Facebook LIKEs that do not favor them, would try to monitor the entire internet looking for anything they could arrest someone for. Not to mention, they are already monitoring LINE for the same reason. This place is going to be Junta controlled before it's all over.

I started having the same problem a week ago. Couldn't access the Guardian, for starters.

As an interim solution, I accessed those websites via www.hidemyass.com ... a proxy.

Then I deleted certain tracking cookies (of the Guardian,among others) and that took care of the problem.

I'm on true on a docsis.

I've put the Cisco modem into bridge mode and have got a time capsule (apple NAS / router / wifi) running the home network.

It works good but every now and then I lose access to some sites like App Store, etc. I guess it's true.

Not had any probs recently but one of the things I have set on the time capsule is to share on dhcp the google DNS servers.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago.

Some sites were fine - some sites simply didn't work (but did work when I connected through a VPN, so I know the problem wasn't the remote site).

I believe the issue (for me) was that True had reconfigured some of their own internal routers, and had some bad mapping of external IP addresses internally on their own network.

The initial fix was actually to use the True DNS servers (temporarily - I use either openDNS or Google's DNS usually), as I then picked up the pages from True's transparent proxy. But they reconfigured their side to fix the problem for me.

i.e. you basically have to report it to True.