ATM card stolen - will bank refund the losses?

LOL.

I write a PIN onto my ATM card too. But it is a fake. I hope any thief will try it and end up locking the card.

Why didn't that ever occur to me? That's a great idea...

Ohhhh, I know why..I'd forget it was fake and lock my own card.

LOL.

I write a PIN onto my ATM card too. But it is a fake. I hope any thief will try it and end up locking the card.

I must try that - also make include a couple of 7s in the number and make it look like they could be 1s so that they try the different combinations.

I've never met anyone in my life, who has written their PIN on the back of their card. How much did you "loan" her?

You obviously don't know Thais very well, this is a common practice along with writing the PIN on a piece of paper and putting it in their wallet/purse

To the OP, if the girl tells the bank that the PIN was written on the card she has no chance of getting the cash back

My friend had her bag stolen in a club the other night - shortly after her a/c was emptied over a period of a few minutes by repeated withdrawals from her ATM.

This was before she knew about or reported the theft to the police.

What are her chances of the bank refunding her losses?

What are the chances of winning the thai lottery????

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Haven't you ever stood behind a Thai at an ATM while they made deposits, withdrawals, balance checks, etc. for their whole office with all the PIN's written down on a piece of paper....another fun activity here in the land of smiles....clap2.gif

You can make deposits into any thai bank account from most ATMs. Actually had a rental deposit returned that way.

Haven't you ever stood behind a Thai at an ATM while they made deposits, withdrawals, balance checks, etc. for their whole office with all the PIN's written down on a piece of paper....another fun activity here in the land of smiles....clap2.gif

You can make deposits into any thai bank account from most ATMs. Actually had a rental deposit returned that way.

That's how I pay my rent - through the ATM :)

Hope she cancelled her card as soon as she realised - at least then they could only get her daily limit.

The question seems to have evaded the majority of Sherlocks here.

I'll deal with the bank who seem to be prepared to refund the money once the theft is proved.

As there is CCTV of this it doesn't appear to be a problem.

It would appear that the advice here from most of the posters is based on an experience of Thailand that is limited solely to relationships with bar-girls.

It

I'll deal with the bank who seem to be prepared to refund the money once the theft is proved.

It would appear that the advice here from most of the posters is based on an experience of Thailand that is limited solely to relationships with bar-girls.

It

What a idiotic and rude response to people who are trying to help you and what has bar girls got to do with anything anyway?

Read my post, if the ATM card had the PIN number written on it do you really think the bank are going to pay out? Or are you going to keep that bit secret from the bank?

Instead of being all high and mighty on here maybe you should consider changing your friends to ones who are not stupid enough to write their PIN number on a ATM card?

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 2

I've never met anyone in my life, who has written their PIN on the back of their card. How much did you "loan" her?

You obviously don't know Thais very well, this is a common practice along with writing the PIN on a piece of paper and putting it in their wallet/purse

To the OP, if the girl tells the bank that the PIN was written on the card she has no chance of getting the cash back

been coming here for 15 years and never used anyone's ATM, but my own.

Why would you do that if the bank account and theft is not directly related to you but your "friend"? Surely the bank staff would tell you where to go? This story is more bizarre than those Thonglor police clowns entrapping the Italians for an ATM scam. Are these two stories related per chance?

• Like 2

Why would you do that if the bank account and theft is not directly related to you but your "friend"? Surely the bank staff would tell you where to go? This story is more bizarre than those Thonglor police clowns entrapping the Italians for an ATM scam. Are these two stories related per chance?

What a suspicious and unhelpful bunch.

I went t the bank with my friend and it looks as if once they are sure it is a genuine theft, she will get the money back. The ATM had camera or CCTV I believe.

It would seem that no-one on TV has had this problem?

It

Looks like you need to read the post again. Is this typical of the level of advice one gets on TV?

What a idiotic and rude response to people who are trying to help you and what has bar girls got to do with anything anyway?

Read my post, if the ATM card had the PIN number written on it do you really think the bank are going to pay out? Or are you going to keep that bit secret from the bank?

Instead of being all high and mighty on here maybe you should consider changing your friends to ones who are not stupid enough to write their PIN number on a ATM card?

"Thai ATM card stolen - will bank refund the losses?"

Are bears Catholic? Does the Pope sh*t in the woods?

There have been some pretty obtuse posts here and it seems a lot of people either haven't read the OP or don't understand it......so I'm assuming you are saying "Yes of course they will"?

There have been some pretty obtuse posts here and it seems a lot of people either haven't read the OP or don't understand it......so I'm assuming you are saying "Yes of course they will"?

...so I'm assuming you are saying "Yes of course they will"?

No, I was saying "of course they wont".

The Thai bank will accept responsibility once you have reported the loss of the card, or possibly if you can show that the debits were made fraudulently using a cloned card for example (though you may need to actually take them to court to get satisfaction on this). Otherwise it is your problem.

Moral: watch your Thai cards like a hawk or, better, make sure your Thai card is linked to an account that only has a few thousand Baht in it.

Or use a non-Thai card which may have better protection against fraudulent use.

...so I'm assuming you are saying "Yes of course they will"?

No, I was saying "of course they wont".

The Thai bank will accept responsibility once you have reported the loss of the card, or possibly if you can show that the debits were made fraudulently using a cloned card for example (though you may need to actually take them to court to get satisfaction on this). Otherwise it is your problem.

Moral: watch your Thai cards like a hawk or, better, make sure your Thai card is linked to an account that only has a few thousand Baht in it.

Or use a non-Thai card which may have better protection against fraudulent use.

Poor use of English then, and poor advice as the bank appear to be going to replace the money

Poor use of English then, and poor advice as the bank appear to be going to replace the money

What was the original question again?

Yes, '...her a/c was emptied over a period of a few minutes by repeated withdrawals from her ATM'. Why not one big withdrawal? You also asked if the bank will reimburse the victim, but you've already answered your own question, bizarrely.

I reckon there will be no refund. But, carry on.

Edited by wooloomooloo