What's the latest on Baht Bus fares, cheap buffets, condo gluts, and Pattaya is going downhill?

Woody1

The old cheap and cheerful Pattaya has been going downhill ever since they stopped trying to say that Pattaya is a family resort town for rich people and actually started trying to make it one with flash buildings like Central and of course the new and awful beach promenade.

Unfortunately, nothing has been done to improve the terrible broken infrastructure, or sort out the traffic, crime, ladyboy pickpockets etc etc. So we have ended up with a Pattaya that's both too expensive for the old crowd ( seemingly gone awol now ), and too broken for the jet set crowd that city hall so desperately longs for.

• Like 2

Don't tell anybody,whistling.gif the cheapest beer in town can be found at NIDA Bar in Soi Bhuakhou, 35 baht for an ice cold Chang Export. Can anybody beat that, it has to be a proper bar, not private small shop or 7/11.biggrin.png

How about a large Chang (non-Export) for 50B? That's very nearly twice the size of your 35B bottle.

But it is on the darkside.

You might be the winner, I'll check it out and let you know, not sure how much a big one is.

The old cheap and cheerful Pattaya has been going downhill ever since they stopped trying to say that Pattaya is a family resort town for rich people and actually started trying to make it one with flash buildings like Central and of course the new and awful beach promenade.

Who pushed the DOOM ALARM button?

Unfortunately, nothing has been done to improve the terrible broken infrastructure, or sort out the traffic, crime, ladyboy pickpockets etc etc. So we have ended up with a Pattaya that's both too expensive for the old crowd ( seemingly gone awol now ), and too broken for the jet set crowd that city hall so desperately longs for.

Nonsense.

Too funny!

Several topics were raised by the initial poster however very few were actually addressed. Most comments are about bars.

OK.

Bahtbus: unchanged at 10B

Cheap buffets: I avoid the cheap ones but there are some good medium-price ones.

Condo gluts: unchanged at "coming soon" if not already arrived.

Direction Pattaya is going: unchanged at "steadily downhill" ever since they started promoting it to families a decade or so ago.

So "same same" probably sums it all up.

• Like 1

Don't tell anybody,whistling.gif the cheapest beer in town can be found at NIDA Bar in Soi Bhuakhou, 35 baht for an ice cold Chang Export. Can anybody beat that, it has to be a proper bar, not private small shop or 7/11.biggrin.png

How about a large Chang (non-Export) for 50B? That's very nearly twice the size of your 35B bottle.

Right, you win. Went down there this morning to check. The NIDA Bar prices that I can remember are, Chang Export is 30 baht a small bottle (not 35 as I said originally) and 55 baht a big bottle. A normal big bottle of Chang is 60 baht. Leo small 40 and Leo big 70.

So where is this bar for 50 baht a big bottle? What is the bars name?

Several topics were raised by the initial poster however very few were actually addressed. Most comments are about bars.

Ok here's mine too.

Baht buses 10 baht

Lek Hotel buy the 10 coupons for 1,100 and then it works out at 110 per person. Eat a big plate of salad and you are in front already.

Condo Gluts, some sell easily and some rent easily. Some never sell or rent because owners want too much. same same

Pattaya is getting bigger and busier all the time.

Apologies to the OP, but it's the best thread to ask in.

I'd like a Bar with good priced beer, nice girl;s to look at but not pushy.

Somewhere there is passing (human) traffic to observe or a nice view.

Anyone done a decent Bar review recently ... or a suggestion to my question.

Thanks ...

Right, you win. Went down there this morning to check. The NIDA Bar prices that I can remember are, Chang Export is 30 baht a small bottle (not 35 as I said originally) and 55 baht a big bottle. A normal big bottle of Chang is 60 baht. Leo small 40 and Leo big 70.

So where is this bar for 50 baht a big bottle? What is the bars name?

Thanks, will check it out.

Baht Bus fares 10 baht

cheap buffets - still around, but not my thing

condo gluts - depends if the OP is hoping to tlak the market up or down

Pattaya is going downhill? - all change is unsettling, but get used to it as there's way more to come as the area between BR and 3rd Rd is redeveloped

10 years ago a long term expat told me Pattaya was dying, it will be a ghost town in 2 or 3 years he said. Since then he bought a condo and the population has trebled, oh and the Russians came. Now he is saying "everybody can't fit into Pattaya", how things and people change.

DONT mention the Russians angry.gif read above..welcomeani.gif

--And to take over the retired European population that once had their own ghettos in Naklua and north Pattaya, there are new nationalities visiting Pattaya. Chinese and Indians-not just the Russians.

Right, you win. Went down there this morning to check. The NIDA Bar prices that I can remember are, Chang Export is 30 baht a small bottle (not 35 as I said originally) and 55 baht a big bottle.

Actually in that case we both win.

Your 30B small bottle of Export is the cheapest I know of. My place charges a more common 35B for the small bottle of regular Chang. But my place does have the cheapest large Chang I have seen.

Starlight bar. http://goo.gl/maps/jjXQH

I live in Jomtien so I don't go all the way over there to drink beer, but I do have one when I go there for lunch.

Best Supermarket has in the past never observed legal hours for alcohol sales. That was a welcome convenience. Great variety there and good prices--relatively.

But no more. In the last couple weeks, they've been forced to start observing them. Villa's the only suitable fallback I know of.

The only places that I have observed following the alcohol hours are Tesco Lotus, Big C, Makro, now Best, and only very occasionally a 7-11. Friendship is certainly wide open. Never tried to buy at Villa.

10 years ago a long term expat told me Pattaya was dying, it will be a ghost town in 2 or 3 years he said. Since then he bought a condo and the population has trebled, oh and the Russians came. Now he is saying "everybody can't fit into Pattaya", how things and people change.

DONT mention the Russians angry.gif read above..welcomeani.gif

--And to take over the retired European population that once had their own ghettos in Naklua and north Pattaya, there are new nationalities visiting Pattaya. Chinese and Indians-not just the Russians.

I understand there are certainly more interesting types of Eastern Europeans visiting Pattaya now. Jingthing is the man to ask. I have been reliably informed that he can be spotted most days at Central Food Court, beating off middle aged Russian ladies with a stick! blink.png

Best Supermarket has in the past never observed legal hours for alcohol sales. That was a welcome convenience. Great variety there and good prices--relatively.

But no more. In the last couple weeks, they've been forced to start observing them. Villa's the only suitable fallback I know of.

The only places that I have observed following the alcohol hours are Tesco Lotus, Big C, Makro, now Best, and only very occasionally a 7-11. Friendship is certainly wide open. Never tried to buy at Villa.

Foodland certainly does too. You sure about Friendship? If so I'll check it out next time I'm in the area--which would likely be in the afternoon during the ban.

samurai swords and handguns seem to be essential around town

i heard they are staring a new scheme at the airport for tourists headed to Pattaya

they ask you if you have any weapons with you?

if you say no, they issue you with a gun