Advice on move up to biger bike

ANDY2463

Advise needed, probable been asked before” I have been riding my D Tracker for the last couple of years around Pattaya (not really getting out of town far) I think it is now time to move up to a bigger bike, I would like to get out and try some longer trips. (I do like the style of the D Tracker not ready for a sports bike yet) I did have a bike in the UK, 250 only

I Have been looking at what is on offer at the moment I have come down to two bikes (Honda CBRX 500) and (Kawasaki(Er6n 650) I must admit I do like the Ducati but out of my league I think.

I did go to Big Wing Honda (Pattaya) the other day with my wife in tow, liked the look of the CBR 500 X ok for me as I am not too tall, the guy was ok to start with but when he realized I had not come to shop that day seemed to lost interest in me (understandable if they are busy) but this is a big decision for me so need to do my research first.

That way i will not regret buying the wrong bike may be “I asked too many questions.

Then went over to Kawasaki to have a nose round, I must admit I do like the ER6N) love the style, just don’t know if it will be too much for me, with a big jump in power and weight.

Price is ok, they have some second hand models there also which look in good nick, offend me a trade in on my Old D Tracker

I am safe (carful) rider? As much as you can be over here, listen to my mates all of who have bigger bikes than mine and have been riding along time over here, so any advice from the old hand will be much appreciated.

Both are two cylinders and definitely safe for step up from the d-tracker.

both are the excellent choices. you can get ER6n used for under 200K, CB500 new will end up being over 220K after all papers.

You cannot go wrong with any of these but if you want to gou out of town, get cb500x. It has more wind protection and you can get some mild trails too.

Besides, for stepping up cb500x might be a better option for you. Less power but ot will be a blast after d tracker.

It is 15 kg thinner and 60 k cheaper.

If you want more power and if you feel ready, you can go for kawa but better buy er6f not n so you can go for touring.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why don't you rent them for a day and try them out, best way to find out if you like them or not.

After I rented a PCX 125 on Phuket for 4 days I knew I wanted one, was lucky and found out that the 150cc was coming so I waited and bought one as soon as the price was ok, never regretted the choice.

• Like 2

Why don't you rent them for a day and try them out, best way to find out if you like them or not.

After I rented a PCX 125 on Phuket for 4 days I knew I wanted one, was lucky and found out that the 150cc was coming so I waited and bought one as soon as the price was ok, never regretted the choice.

Good suggestion, also try out the Honda Phanton, a 200cc single, very comfortable, fat seat, good riding position,easy to maintain, dirt cheap to run and good resale price. It will poodle along all day at 85-90 kph.. 70k should get you a good one.

Edited by Hugh Jarse

Hi All many thanks for the advice

Been on the internet, looking and reading other articles, on both bikes and the er6f, then a mate says to me wait for the new KTM, 350,I have been on the KTM site ,and now I am totally confused , great looking bikes, I did see their bikes in Central Pattaya a few weeks ago , but did not have time to stop, Very expensive.

May be I could stop eating for a month, or keep of the beer at least I would have something to show for it. Once again many thanks

About all I can add is that if you intend to use it quite a lot in city traffic, consider whether it is lower slung with a more laid back riding style. For the smaller guy like me, a bike like that is easier to manoeuvre as it has a lower centre of gravity. I rode a Yamaha Virago (google image it to check it out - best big bike I've ever owned - 750cc) for many years in Bangkok. Was very happy with it. Quite easy to zip through the gridlocked traffic, reach the front at the lights and then leave the rice burners in my wake thumbsup.gif . Enjoy your new bike, whatever you get.

Cheers.

personally I prefer the er6n, I think the newer model looks fantastic, I had the original model and loved, the power is not vicious, brakes are very good and it's very easy to get used to the bike. I haven't ridden the cb500 though so can't offer advice there, but based on looks it would be the er6 for me!

• Like 1