Told to stop cycling for National Anthem

edwinchester

Out on my bicycle this morning as usual and on my usual route.

Cycling along a four lane main highway a policeman told me to stop cycling and stand for the National Anthem at 8am.

I was surprised as I was riding along at about 40kph and he tried to step out in front of me! Anyway, going too fast to stop so carried on.

Now I will stand up in the cinema and at the local market in the evening like everyone else when the anthem plays but to try and stop traffic just because the National Anthem is playing seems slightly over the top to me.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tell em its not your anthem but if they want to stand for yours its ok.

Personally this is one thing I dont like anywhere, enforcement to "believe or do"

Ask them if all foreigners must rise to the mighty Thai nation.................if only they knew eh!

Cycling along a four lane main highway a policeman told me to stop cycling and stand for the National Anthem at 8am.

I was surprised as I was riding along at about 40kph and he tried to step out in front of me! Anyway, going too fast to stop so carried on.

Now I will stand up in the cinema and at the local market in the evening like everyone else when the anthem plays but to try and stop traffic just because the National Anthem is playing seems slightly over the top to me.

Clearly not a yank........

Never been to disney world then????

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Clearly not a yank........

Never been to disney world then????

Didn't realise there was a four lane highway through the magic kingdom that came to a halt for the Star Mangled Spanner. Learn something everyday on tv.

• Like 2

how many people stand up in their private homes?

Well maybe I can offer an answer??????

Proberly none at all....... but thays not the point. How many ppl stand up for other reasons??????

Many ppl for many reason's. Why do americans have to hold there hearts evey 2 mins when there national anthem is played???

The english....... ladys an gentelmen the queen / king all stand.

Italian and spanish crying?????? Grown men??????

The way I see ii takes 2 mins of your time. We say thais only do it to save face so there not the odd in ones out but in the us???????????? Trust me you be shot as well if you did not follow

all thanks to the last coup and the democrat party that we have this heigtened propaganda where fear stops people at 8 am and 6 pm every day in ear shot of the tuuune

What <deleted>. It's been going on for years long before the coup. Most do it out of pride. others from conditioning.

Personally I like the cinema one.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 2

In all my experience here in Thailand, I have never known people to stop whatever they are doing at 8.00am and 6.00pm where the National Anthem is not played or cannot be heard.

If the OP was on a 4 lane fast flowing highway, than I doubt that anyone would have heard the National Anthem on there or that the police would have tried to stop traffic, even a lone cyclist on a freeway for this reason.

Besides that, if the OP was cycling at 40kph and did not stop to hear why the policeman wanted him to stop, how does he assume that it was for the standing to attention of the National Anthem?

I was cycling along a four lane highway through town and could hear the anthem playing as I was going past an array of speakers. I understand a little Thai and heard 'song' as the cop pointed toward the speakers.

In all my experience here in Thailand, I have never known people to stop whatever they are doing at 8.00am and 6.00pm where the National Anthem is not played or cannot be heard.

If the OP was on a 4 lane fast flowing highway, than I doubt that anyone would have heard the National Anthem on there or that the police would have tried to stop traffic, even a lone cyclist on a freeway for this reason.

Besides that, if the OP was cycling at 40kph and did not stop to hear why the policeman wanted him to stop, how does he assume that it was for the standing to attention of the National Anthem?

I was cycling along a four lane highway through town and could hear the anthem playing as I was going past an array of speakers. I understand a little Thai and heard 'song' as the cop pointed toward the speakers.

200 baht fine?

Did he say song as in two or Pleng Chat Thai.

Lol.

• Like 1

how many people stand up in their private homes?

One of my wifes friends family all do. Even stand up during dinner or breakfast. They're the only Thais I know that stand up at home when the anthem plays.

At Lumpini Park almost everyone stops.

Ditto the BTS ... but I haven't been changing trains, but in the station generally they do ... or they did.

Personally, I like the respect for the song.

To me this is a total alien concept. But then again I don't hail from a flag waving country. These things seem to be much stronger in countries like the US or UK even Oz.

Did he say song as in two or Pleng Chat Thai.

Lol.

Song loi baht

• Like 1

Maybe the nice policeman suspected you of selling drugs from your bike and wanted to arrest you for being a peddler?

Sorry, I couldn`t resist this one.

biggrin.png

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2