Told to stop cycling for National Anthem

edwinchester

There was talk a few years of doing the same with all the traffic on the roads, ie at 08:00am and again at 18:00...

Not so long ago in Thailand all the traffic did stop for the national anthem at 0800 and at 1800 everyday. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

How long ago do you call not so long ago?

I have lived in Thailand for 16 years and this has never been the rule since I have been here.

I agree that the traffic did stop in small towns but not in Bangkok, so not in Thailand as a whole, not in my time here anyway.

I've seen this in small towns and also Bangkoks Queen Sirikit park cycle loop.

40kph, that's pretty fast for a cycle! What kind of bike?

Lightweight racing bike.......had a nice tailwind:-)

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tell em its not your anthem but if they want to stand for yours its ok.

Personally this is one thing I dont like anywhere, enforcement to "believe or do"

Ask them if all foreigners must rise to the mighty Thai nation.................if only they knew eh!

Hmmmmm. It's their country, their rules and if one doesn't like it...................................

Try disregarding the "rules" in a country like saudi, and you really will be feeling sorry for yourself.

I don't think this is anything to get all concerned about. Just stand for a few seconds and be quiet. Then it is over. In the US, people put their hands on their hearts, but not everyone. It would just be weird to not stand for it at a sporting event or something, even if you don't sing or put your hand on your heart.

I have always felt that, as a foreigner, it is just polite to let people do their thing and not get in their way. As for traffic stopping, I have never seen that, BKK or middle of nowhere (where I have spent most of my time here), so this post is unique in that way. Maybe this was an overly zealous cop who wanted to make an example of you or just needed some money for whiskey.

• Like 1

Personally this is one thing I dont like anywhere, enforcement to "believe or do"

Ask them if all foreigners must rise to the mighty Thai nation.................if only they knew eh!

Hmmmmm. It's their country, their rules and if one doesn't like it...................................

Try disregarding the "rules" in a country like saudi, and you really will be feeling sorry for yourself.

Yeah my Riyadh Bible Reading Class with free pork pies to the first 100 people to sign up wasn't my brightest business plan....

There was talk a few years of doing the same with all the traffic on the roads, ie at 08:00am and again at 18:00...

Not so long ago in Thailand all the traffic did stop for the national anthem at 0800 and at 1800 everyday. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

I have lived in Thailand for 16 years and this has never been the rule since I have been here.

I agree that the traffic did stop in small towns but not in Bangkok, so not in Thailand as a whole, not in my time here anyway.

In the eighties Tony, you're a bit of a newcomer. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Having to stand for someone's national song is a bit weird. I first experienced it in the USA when they played the US anthem before a baseball game and everyone stood up. I remained seated, but was prompted to stand up by my US buddies, who told me that things might go badly for me if I didn't stand up because the other people would not know that I was not a US citizen. I stood up, reasoning that a bit of exercise for a couple of minutes will not do me any harm and while the anthem is playing, i can think absolutely whatever I like. I adopt teh same attitude in Thailand: just play ball with the local xenophobes on the surface, but think whatever I like.

• Like 1

At Lumpini Park almost everyone stops.

Ditto the BTS ... but I haven't been changing trains, but in the station generally they do ... or they did.

Personally, I like the respect for the song.

To me this is a total alien concept. But then again I don't hail from a flag waving country. These things seem to be much stronger in countries like the US or UK even Oz.

The UK? Are you kidding?

Sure. You guys also get all gooey over your Royal family.

At Lumpini Park almost everyone stops.

Ditto the BTS ... but I haven't been changing trains, but in the station generally they do ... or they did.

Personally, I like the respect for the song.

To me this is a total alien concept. But then again I don't hail from a flag waving country. These things seem to be much stronger in countries like the US or UK even Oz.

The UK? Are you kidding?

Sure. You guys also get all gooey over your Royal family.

We're lucky that our royal family accepts the respect that they earn, rather than relying on others to bully feigned respect from the public.

• Like 1

In the eighties Tony, you're a bit of a newcomer. thumbsup.gif

Totally agree, as you were here in the 80s I am definitely a newcomer.

However Mr. PJ, if you think that the 80s were not so long ago, you have been here way too long. wai.gif wai2.gif

Regards,

Tiger.

Edited by tonytigerbkk
  • Like 1

how many people stand up in their private homes?

No need to stand up if you're inside a building. At work, no-one having breakfast in the air-conditioned closed section stands for the anthem, while everyone eating in the outer open area has to stop eating and stand to attention.

Likewise, during the build-up you can see people scurrying to reach the building so they don't get caught outside. I used to work in a military establishment and it was the same. If you were inside in the office, you didn't stand.

how many people stand up in their private homes?

Well maybe I can offer an answer??????

Proberly none at all....... but thays not the point. How many ppl stand up for other reasons??????

Many ppl for many reason's. Why do americans have to hold there hearts evey 2 mins when there national anthem is played???

The english....... ladys an gentelmen the queen / king all stand.

Italian and spanish crying?????? Grown men??????

The way I see ii takes 2 mins of your time. We say thais only do it to save face so there not the odd in ones out but in the us???????????? Trust me you be shot as well if you did not follow

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The thing about getting shot in the US for not doing it you know the odd thing is somehow they feel justified in doing it but when other countries do it it's not ok.

typical foreigner attitude that somehow the rules of another nation especially a lowly south east asian nation does not apply to him at all.

a man who does not honour and respect a national anthem, especially that of the country in which he lives, has no honour!

a man who does not honour and respect a national anthem, especially that of the country in which he lives, has no honour!

But it's all about Thai's fighting until the last drop of blood and love of country. Why then did they surrender the day after the Japanese invaded, lack of honour? They might as well sing four legs good two legs bad, it's just brain washing to keep the sheep in order.

Edited by sms747

typical foreigner attitude that somehow the rules of another nation especially a lowly south east asian nation does not apply to him at all.

Sorry Naam, as much as I appreciate your comments in TV, this time not. Normaly you should have read the Wilhelm Tell drama from Fr. v. Schiller. (Tell, the Swiss national hero and myth, shouild have shown respect to the hat on a stick of the cruel gouvernor Gessler, but he didn't.)

For me and many other people the national hymne/flag and Gessler's hat have somthing in common. You should great and "honor" something you cannot agree about. Most anthems are very, very nationalitsic. Should everyone "honour" the nonsense parts of an anthem? Should I stand up only because my neighbours do so, not understanding what they are singing. Should I honour what I cannot agree about?

Some examples:

• the first strophe of the former German national anthem: Deutschland, Deutschland ueber alles (for the not-Germans: they play now the third strophe: unity and justice and freedom for the German fatherland)

• the US anthem: you should show reverence to the "flag", the Star-Spangeld Banner. The anthem has a strong reference to the British-American war of 1814.

• Conduct during playing - Title 36, United States Code, Section 301 During a rendition of the national anthem – (1) when the flag is displayed – (A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart; B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and © individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and (2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.
  • the french anthem, le Marseillaise: allons enfants de la patrie le jour de gloire est arrivé

• the GB anthem: God save the queen , or maybe : rule Britannia.

Following your words,

1. if the English people didn't respect Hitler's national anthem (Deutschland, Deutschland über alles) would they have "no honour" ?

2. if I wouldn't greet the US flag staying in Vietnam or Iraq, would I have no honour?

3. Would I have no honour, if I don't stand up in a sports stadium for the winner's national anthem. Sport nowadays is only about money, money .... . Most ridiculous in manipulated events. For example, when the US L. Armstrong or the German J. Ullrich, full of drugs, won the Tour de France, etc.etc. .... - "facing the flag with the right hand over the heart" ? Me no honour?

In Chiang Mai at the Arcade Bus Staion I stand up for the Thai anthem, only because my wife requests me to do so. This is respecting her. In our remote village, the people here have the same "honour" like me, fortunately.

I don't mind to stand up during some (a few) special events. But everyday and for all Shxt?

The sole positive aspect, it's healthy especially for the fat guys.

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1